Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

20 minutes ago, St Louis said:

You do know AArmstrong scored today, and as the only player who even looked like scoring for us? 🤔

you've got me there. I missed the goal, because I only started watching from about 20 minutes in. Did he take it well? He certainly didn't look like scoring in the remaining 75 minutes. I just saw a guy looking to pass (the buck) rather than create a yard and shoot. No one looked like scoring. We created fuck all. Again.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

I heard the away end were not too pleased at end, much abuse towards Martin or players in general? 

Yeah - he came over to the fans before the match and got some polite but mixed applause, but when he came over afterwards a number of fans gave him the middle finger and shouted abuse. As soon as he realised the fans were not going to applaud him, he turned around and headed back towards the tunnel.

The only players who really received any applause were Stu and Edozie. I pointed at them to applaud to try to make it clear that I was not aplauding the useless Aribo and Arma who happened to come over at the same time.

Even against Sunderland there was some appluase for the players but today there was a real sense of 'enough is enough' and there were very few fans applauding any of the players.

I hasten to add that the performance today was actually miles better than against Sunderland.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Got back from the match a while ago (I live in Darlington)...

• Russell Martin is clueless.
  • Ryan Fraser was hopeless and rightfully subbed off but he shouldn't have started.
  • Adam Armstrong was hopeless apart from his goal and should not started or stayed on  - why does Martin hate Alcaraz? If goal hanging were allowed he would offer more. When it comes to kicking/passing a ball his only quality is in the 6 yard area. AA works hard but he is NOT a winger.
  • Holgate was much better than against Sunderland (better as full back than centre back) but was partly responsible for their first goal. Taking him off at half time will have further destroyed his confidence.
  • Manning was worse than Holgate defensively but offered more in an attacking sense.
  • Adams is not a centre forward, he is a support striker. Since we don't play that system, we don't benefit from that.
  • Shea Charles should not have been subbed off.
  • One of Smallbone or Flynn Downes were superfluous in midfield until Smallbone went off - both could have been replaced rather than Charles.
  • Aribo was absolutely dreadful. he fluffed almsot every single kick that he had - only two headers were any good.

In terms of positives:

• KWP was by far the best player on the pitch.
  • Alcaraz would have easily been one of the best players on the pitch if we had brought him on!!! (MARTIN OUT!)
  • Taylor Harwood-Bellis did some brilliant defending and has clearly got Premier League class.
  • Edozie did well when he came on.
  • Stu Armstrong was brilliant when he came on - but not sure why he replaced Charles instead of Flynn Downes.

SUMMARY: Russell Martin is clueless. Until he gives starts to Alcaraz and our higher quality quality wingers like Edozie, Sulemana and Amo-Ameyaw instead of crap like Fraser and Arma we are just going to fail, fail and fail again. Shea Charles needs to play as CDM eevry game and should not be subbed off unless we bring in someone else who can play in that position.

MARTIN OUT!!

Now imagine we don't go up and we lose all the players that made your positive list. It doesn't bear thinking about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, saint michael said:

He blames the performance again on circumstances that are under the team to control. If they are not then he needs to understand why in order to change it. His answer is only that they have scars and are lacking confidence, and are young. That being the case I think he is only living in hope they can get lucky to change this. As we all can see he is doing little or nothing to drive a change. He still seems reasonably happy he is on course and very calm with losing game after game in the same fashion….very weird 

Spot on.

like a bloke who keeps tossing a coin and telling you it’ll be heads in a minute. When he finally gets it right it’ll be a “see, I told you!”

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

When I saw the line up (smallbone aside) I really wanted to be positive about today, but I'm really struggling to find any. 

At least we've seemingly fucked off that inverted full back bollox and KWP looked a better player as a result. The goal we scored was nice, that's what Adams is great at - that's litterally about it. 

I've absolutely no idea what game Martin was watching if he thinks we were the better team. Asides maybe 10 mins in each half, they were all over us and it could have easily been 4/5 again if they were more clinical.

Same old shit, way too slow in possession, passes with no purpose, limited movement from the midfield. 

We're getting worse game by game - I could trust the process if I could see what the process is.

Leeds will give us an absolute spanking and St Marys will turn really really toxic. 

• Like 5

There are so many posts on here tonight I am not sure if someone else has made the same point but for me one of the most worrying things today was the players' reactions after the match. Sullemana couldn't get off the pitch quick enough. Bednarek started to come over to us but decided that he couldn't be bothered and scuttled off.  Most of the others just slunk off without bothering to come over. 

It looked as if the players don't give a toss about the fans who  spent a mini fortune to travel and  watch them. Is there any decent team spirit?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Spot on.

like a bloke who keeps tossing a coin and telling you it’ll be heads in a minute. When he finally gets it right it’ll be a “see, I told you!”

Sounds like 75% of this forum over the years to be fair... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

What were those crappy T-shirts Lovren kept going on about, with a cartoon owl? I'm sure they were called Russell something.

I don’t remember but Russell Athletic were a crap brand

Russell Grant

Russell Howard

Russ Brand 

all twats

the only decent on I can think of is Russell Crowe

There is always one of the 3 relegated teams who become a bit of a car crash, sadly that is us - it shouldn't be in any way, but it is.

To be 11 points behind the top 2 at this early stage is nothing short of horrendous. We had a decent start, but it's moved quite quickly into a catastrophic first 7 games. 15th in the Championship with a -7 goal difference is the thing of nightmares.

I have no idea what is wrong with this club. The team put out today looked better, but we just don't know how to play football. Take any of those players out of our team and put them in another side and they'll be able to play football again - guaranteed. There is something toxic at this club and it's been the case for many years.

I'm losing the will to live with it all now. Not sure where it stops, but we're on a pretty nasty slope right now and I'm sure Leeds are going to have good fun next weekend.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Got back from the match a while ago (I live in Darlington)...

• Russell Martin is clueless.
  • Ryan Fraser was hopeless and rightfully subbed off but he shouldn't have started.
  • Adam Armstrong was hopeless apart from his goal and should not started or stayed on  - why does Martin hate Alcaraz? If goal hanging were allowed he would offer more. When it comes to kicking/passing a ball his only quality is in the 6 yard area. AA works hard but he is NOT a winger.
  • Holgate was much better than against Sunderland (better as full back than centre back) but was partly responsible for their first goal. Taking him off at half time will have further destroyed his confidence.
  • Manning was worse than Holgate defensively but offered more in an attacking sense.
  • Adams is not a centre forward, he is a support striker. Since we don't play that system, we don't benefit from that.
  • Shea Charles should not have been subbed off.
  • One of Smallbone or Flynn Downes were superfluous in midfield until Smallbone went off - both could have been replaced rather than Charles.
  • Aribo was absolutely dreadful. he fluffed almsot every single kick that he had - only two headers were any good.

In terms of positives:

• KWP was by far the best player on the pitch.
  • Alcaraz would have easily been one of the best players on the pitch if we had brought him on!!! (MARTIN OUT!)
  • Taylor Harwood-Bellis did some brilliant defending and has clearly got Premier League class.
  • Edozie did well when he came on.
  • Stu Armstrong was brilliant when he came on - but not sure why he replaced Charles instead of Flynn Downes.

SUMMARY: Russell Martin is clueless. Until he gives starts to Alcaraz and our higher quality quality wingers like Edozie, Sulemana and Amo-Ameyaw instead of crap like Fraser and Arma we are just going to fail, fail and fail again. Shea Charles needs to play as CDM eevry game and should not be subbed off unless we bring in someone else who can play in that position.

MARTIN OUT!!

I am just back too (staying in Manchester overnight) and while basically agreeing with you, I disagree re Walker Peters who tried hard but was full of errors. Similarly Charles and Harwood Bellis mistakes gifted Boro the winner. There was utter dross all over the pitch today. Not one player other than the gk could be exonerated from contributing to one of the worst away matches I have witnessed. Boro were awful, their fans started moaning after 15 minutes and yet somehow we contrived to hand them the initiative with sloppy clueless football that was embarrassing to witness. Right now I would take Jones back. He was many things but he wasn’t an imposter. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

There are so many posts on here tonight I am not sure if someone else has made the same point but for me one of the most worrying things today was the players' reactions after the match. Sullemana couldn't get off the pitch quick enough. Bednarek started to come over to us but decided that he couldn't be bothered and scuttled off.  Most of the others just slunk off without bothering to come over. 

It looked as if the players don't give a toss about the fans who  spent a mini fortune to travel and  watch them. Is there any decent team spirit?

To be fair the fans gave the players the fuck off coming over signals at the end. I was sitting in the opposite stand and it was obvious very few of the away support wanted to applaud the players at the end. 
it’s my last post and I would just like to say to St Louis that yes Arma scored today but that was his only meaningful contribution the whole afternoon. He really is a poor player. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

I am just back too (staying in Manchester overnight) and while basically agreeing with you, I disagree re Walker Peters who tried hard but was full of errors. Similarly Charles and Harwood Bellis mistakes gifted Boro the winner. There was utter dross all over the pitch today. Not one player other than the gk could be exonerated from contributing to one of the worst away matches I have witnessed. Boro were awful, their fans started moaning after 15 minutes and yet somehow we contrived to hand them the initiative with sloppy clueless football that was embarrassing to witness. Right now I would take Jones back. He was many things but he wasn’t an imposter. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/swansea-city-vs-luton-town/467882

51 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You don’t really have much hope in life if you were given that name at birth anyway 

Hey Turkey, not all of us Russell’s are perverted or shit at management. I can hold a conversation and make a cup of tea…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Both Martin and, interestingly, Selles are currently in their comfort zones in terms of league positions.  Those at the helm of SFC are seriously flawed in their decisions about football. Transfer decisions have been appalling. Manager / Coach  decisions have  been equally appalling. From top of the Premier League, albeit fleetingly in late 2020 , to staring at League One is reprehensible.

7 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

Both Martin and, interestingly, Selles are currently in their comfort zones in terms of league positions.  Those at the helm of SFC are seriously flawed in their decisions about football. Transfer decisions have been appalling. Manager / Coach  decisions have  been equally appalling. From top of the Premier League, albeit fleetingly in late 2020 , to staring at League One is reprehensible.

Ralph knew cowboys had taken over when he diplomatically said he would be at the club at most two years. That was less than 20 months ago. All this 'trust the process' crap. We've a manager seriously out of his depth who doesn't seem to recognise the talent in the team. I was annoyed when Edozie was subbed in the last couple of games - today he didn't even make the starting line up. When he and Stu Armstrong came on we were better, but we were playing the bottom team in the league and they outclassed us.

3 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Don't know why it doesn't seem to have been remarked that any keeper should have saved the equaliser?. I am now in the terrible position of hoping for a heavy defeat by Leeds to get this over with.

It was at the time. Yet again Bazunu gets a hand to a shot and doesn’t keep it out, it happens regularly. it’s another one that whilst not a glaring error is one he should be saving

I don’t think I’ve met many decent lads called Gavin either come to thing of it.

• Haha 1

I'm going to be a little controversial here.  I thought first half we were largely OK.  It looked like RM had set us up defensively and not to concede which given the last 4 games was sensible, we ditched the inverted fullbacks, cut out needless passing around the back, and it looked like working until Holgate fucked up.  I don't know what it is but at times some of our players seem to think they've a god given right to stroll around without being challenged.  Charles did it against Ipswich and was guilty again at least a couple of times today.

Second half that shape completely vanished when we brought on Manning who's like James Bond; he's a left back with license to roam.  Any kind of discipline vanished.  We still didn't create much of note, and looked much more likely to concede.  Really not looking forward to Leeds.

• Like 1