January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

14 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I heard something, but don't know exactly what to make of it.  (Maybe old news).

KWP and Stu did not have relegation clauses in their contracts, so are still on their prem wages, and therefore are considered too expensive to keep. I don't know if this relates to this transfer window or in the event of not making promotion,  but the club would like to offload both.

I would hope this is old news and that it might have been on the cards during pre-season, we certainly needed to sell to balance the books. However the fees we got for some of our players hopefully meant KWP and Stu remain affordable....for now. Lets face it both are probably amongst our best performing players this season and to lose either at this stage of the season would be disastrous to our hopes of promotion.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ryan Hardie is also decent 

He's a poor man's Shane Long (and that's a compliment)

What he lacks in technical ability he makes up for in effort. Never stops running but don't think he'd be much use for many other teams in the league. Better for teams who are "up against it"

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

He's a poor man's Shane Long (and that's a compliment)

What he lacks in technical ability he makes up for in effort. Never stops running but don't think he'd be much use for many other teams in the league. Better for teams who are "up against it"

Terrible then 

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

My Argyle supporting mates seem to think Azaz is off to Boro and it's a done deal.

He's defo not coming here. If there is 1 position we do not need, its more central midfielders 

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I heard something, but don't know exactly what to make of it.  (Maybe old news).

KWP and Stu did not have relegation clauses in their contracts, so are still on their prem wages, and therefore are considered too expensive to keep. I don't know if this relates to this transfer window or in the event of not making promotion,  but the club would like to offload both.

Interesting. You would think a relegation clause would be an industry standard by now. It's not as though all clubs haven't seen the likes of Rodwell's wages putting a strain on a relegated side's finances.

Stu is out of contract in the summer. No one is paying a fee for him or be willing to match his current contract, so he won't be departing in January.  If we wanted to offload KWP, I'd of thought we would have done in the summer. Despite relatively little paper talk in the summer, I suspect many clubs would have enquired and been put off by our `high' valuation.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.jpeg.92983b5283f149e8155cbccfde422a5d.jpeg

So this is effectively Aberdeen slapping a price tag on him and if 5M is the opening price then could probably get him for less.  Hard to tell - he looked OK in the clips I saw and probably offers more of an aerial threat than we already have.  Guess it all depends on what happens with Che. 

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

Interesting. You would think a relegation clause would be an industry standard by now. It's not as though all clubs haven't seen the likes of Rodwell's wages putting a strain on a relegated side's finances.

Stu is out of contract in the summer. No one is paying a fee for him or be willing to match his current contract, so he won't be departing in January.  If we wanted to offload KWP, I'd of thought we would have done in the summer. Despite relatively little paper talk in the summer, I suspect many clubs would have enquired and been put off by our `high' valuation.  

Not sure I believe that. Stu was up for going but we persuaded him to stay in the summer apparently. If his wages were unaffordable then he'd have been out the door. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

Who is buying him? Wolves? Sheff United? 

I think Everton were sniffing at one point too. God knows why. Be great if we sold him and invested in someone less shit.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Where has this talk of FFP come from?

How much did we rake in during the summer transfer window (pretty sure we're still the net spend champions), plus parachute payments etc.

A Quick Look at the January 2023 and Summer spend of 2022 would answer that for you. 

51 minutes ago, DT said:

I think Everton were sniffing at one point too. God knows why. Be great if we sold him and invested in someone less shit.

His middle name is the only reason I can think of as to why on Earth they'd be interested.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Andrey Santos is available for loan, could be useful when Downes is not available.

He’s very highly rated. Not going to fly with Chelsea to loan him as a backup though 

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

So this is effectively Aberdeen slapping a price tag on him and if 5M is the opening price then could probably get him for less.  Hard to tell - he looked OK in the clips I saw and probably offers more of an aerial threat than we already have.  Guess it all depends on what happens with Che. 

"Eclipse the £5m fee paid for Calvin Ramsay" could mean anything over that amount, and a £5m fee seems cheap if he's going to be any good for us. I'd expect him to cost £8m or so.

FFP is the biggest load of bollocks the football suits have given us.

I totally understand why we are constrained, due to our massive outlays in 2022 and Jan 2023 - but we've pretty much recouped all of that through sales, so it should provide us some flexibility. 

It's only 'fair' for the big clubs as they can continue to spend as their commercials will generate their shortfalls, whereas the smaller clubs - which this was supposed to help - end up more constrained than they were previously. Go figure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I wonder though, if you are trying to bring a player i under competition from other clubs, do you then risk the purchase by putting the clause in? I doubt we expected to be relegated when they signed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Not sure why I'm getting such weird reactions to this. He's genuinely a very good striker.

He looks like a player who is good running in behind a high line, but I m not sure how good he would be against 2 deep banks of 4 . Same way that lukaku  and Warner never worked at Chelsea. 

4 hours ago, Toussaint said:

As BarcelonaSaint has mentioned. Can well imagine this is old news back when everything was up in the air. Can’t see money is a problem now particularly with our position in the league. I guess if either one of them is pushing for a move and we have replacements ready maybe but really unlikely.

11 minutes ago, manji said:

As BarcelonaSaint has mentioned. Can well imagine this is old news back when everything was up in the air. Can’t see money is a problem now particularly with our position in the league. I guess if either one of them is pushing for a move and we have replacements ready maybe but really unlikely.

I only heard it recently, so presumed it was recent news. When I mentioned old news I meant I didn't know if it had been posted previously. The only thing that came to my mind was they are tying up too much of the wage bill and maybe restricting the incoming of players., FFP and the like, which I don't profess to understanding.  

The fact that Small's return hasn't been announced by Saints makes me think another loan move is in sight. I wouldn't be surprised if he played the cup game at the weekend then went out on loan again.

Holgate staying can only be good news. I think he'll almost certainly play Saturday too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DT said:

Also funny as fuck if the new club are relegated and we are promoted :)

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The fact that Small's return hasn't been announced by Saints makes me think another loan move is in sight. I wouldn't be surprised if he played the cup game at the weekend then went out on loan again.

Holgate staying can only be good news. I think he'll almost certainly play Saturday too.

Good shout...got to, surely...

Edited by AlexLaw76

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Good shout...got to, surely...

Weird thing is, St Mirran fans seem gutted he's going and according to the FB comments on their feed, he seems to have really knuckled down this season and was coming into a good spell of form.

17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

A player can only play for two clubs in a season right? No chance he's going to be a regular so expect to see him farmed out on loan again. One of the Sports Republic clubs would be my guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, igsey said:

A player can only play for two clubs in a season right? No chance he's going to be a regular so expect to see him farmed out on loan again. One of the Sports Republic clubs would be my guess.

I thought that was just league games?

2 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

For balance, also Neil McCann

I was just speaking to a friend about this earlier...Every transfer from Scotland to England either ends up a world beater or a complete flop.

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I was just speaking to a friend about this earlier...Every transfer from Scotland to England either ends up a world beater or a complete flop.

Got all bases covered there 🙄

• Haha 1