January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Best rabbit related player name we’ve had since Christer Warren. If only Hassnhuttl had signed him

it's a step up from Flynn watership downes. I'll get my coat.

• Like 6

I was very surprised to hear the Doyle news earlier. We have shown we have a clear pathway for our academy products. Add to the fact that he's been out injured for a while. RM said he would have been in the squad for the cup game in the last round.

Edited by davefizzy14

27 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I was very surprised to hear the Doyle news earlier. We have shown we have a clear pathway for our academy products. Add to the fact that he's been out injured for a while. RM said he would have been in the squad for the cup game in the last round.

Being in a squad for a cup game is not a genuine pathway. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Being in a squad for a cup game is not a genuine pathway. 

So what about Tyler and SAA on bench recently?  Bragg getting on in cup game? Meghoma starting?

In a season where we need promotion do you think we should gamble with lightweight injury prone midfielders?

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

So what about Tyler and SAA on bench recently?  Bragg getting on in cup game? Meghoma starting?

In a season where we need promotion do you think we should gamble with lightweight injury prone midfielders?

sitting on a bench, what dreams are made of. 
If you don’t trust giving them genuine minutes in this league, in what world are you going to give them ones in the tougher league above.

44 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Imagine moaning about a lack of gametime having been injured for 4 months 🤣

Really is comical from an 18 year old. Good luck to him, cos he won't be getting much more gametime at Brighton.

I’d say that says more about him and his attitude rather than the club.

Bit like Jimmy-Jay Morgan who demanded ludicrous money to stay; the club rightly told him to stick it. 
I’m looking forward to him turning into the next “promising player turned reject” in the lower tiers. 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Can’t say I’m surprised at Doyle news. More money,club on the up.
There doesn’t really feel like much of a pathway here either still.

Agree to a point, but this is a season we very much need experience to get ourselves back up out of this league. It's not really the season for risks as such, but even then the likes of Edozie (and I suppose early season before we'd finished the signings SAA) has shown there are pathways. However if we don't go up this season I do think there will be chances next season for the likes of Dibling, Meghoma, SAA etc to make their mark as we'd lose a fair few of the current senior side.

Either way Doyle's not going to get much game time at Brighton for a while, but if that's where he thinks he's got the best chance of playing, or whether he's going for an early life pay day, so be it. Bring on the next talent.

2 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Agree to a point, but this is a season we very much need experience to get ourselves back up out of this league. It's not really the season for risks as such, but even then the likes of Edozie (and I suppose early season before we'd finished the signings SAA) has shown there are pathways. However if we don't go up this season I do think there will be chances next season for the likes of Dibling, Meghoma, SAA etc to make their mark as we'd lose a fair few of the current senior side.

Either way Doyle's not going to get much game time at Brighton for a while, but if that's where he thinks he's got the best chance of playing, or whether he's going for an early life pay day, so be it. Bring on the next talent.

Yeah I can see the argument to this year’s approach to some degree.
Edozie, bazanu, Charles etc are sadly more theargument why academy players should leave imo and go to the biggest club that’s interested. 

6 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

6 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

Imagine moaning about a lack of gametime having been injured for 4 months 🤣

Really is comical from an 18 year old. Good luck to him, cos he won't be getting much more gametime at Brighton.

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Bit like Jimmy-Jay Morgan who demanded ludicrous money to stay; the club rightly told him to stick it. 
I’m looking forward to him turning into the next “promising player turned reject” in the lower tiers. 😂

I hate to break it to all of you but Brighton have proven they have a clear pathway for younger players getting game time more than we do, if they deem them good enough. They currently have 18 and 19 year old academy products playing regularly for them. There's literally no evidence for us doing that and based on the fact that he's been wanting to see that since last season, I suspect when it comes to decision time as to whether to stay or go, it was quite an easy decision. Like I said previously, the timing of the injury is clearly bad timing for both parties, but this kid has been wanting evidence for more than just this season, and on the basis that we spent last season telling our own youngsters to wait whilst signing other clubs, changing plans 3 times throughout the season and still failing to deliver results or game time, he's probably deemed he's not seen it.

5 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Just an incredible attitude to have for a kid daring to show some ambition and confidence in himself. The kid fancies having a crack at mens football and his contract is running out. We want a fee and he wants clarity, it's the best time for a decision to be made and as I've stated above, he's gone to a club he knows he'll get a chance at if he proves himself. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 2

Good luck to him playing for good manager. His injury has stopped us giving him minutes like we have others.

Well last season was a shit show with Selles and Jones no pathway there!

But look at Bragg and his Echo interview thinks there is . 
Maybe this injury has come at wrong time for us but I don’t blame any player leaving for more money they are one tackle away from career ending.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

I hate to break it to all of you but Brighton have proven they have a clear pathway for younger players getting game time more than we do, if they deem them good enough. They currently have 18 and 19 year old academy products playing regularly for them. There's literally no evidence for us doing that and based on the fact that he's been wanting to see that since last season, I suspect when it comes to decision time as to whether to stay or go, it was quite an easy decision. Like I said previously, the timing of the injury is clearly bad timing for both parties, but this kid has been wanting evidence for more than just this season, and on the basis that we spent last season telling our own youngsters to wait whilst signing other clubs, changing plans 3 times throughout the season and still failing to deliver results or game time, he's probably deemed he's not seen it.

Just an incredible attitude to have for a kid daring to show some ambition and confidence in himself. The kid fancies having a crack at mens football and his contract is running out. We want a fee and he wants clarity, it's the best time for a decision to be made and as I've stated above, he's gone to a club he knows he'll get a chance at if he proves himself. 

Yep. I struggle with the "poor attitude" comments towards a young player who wants to play football, and has the confidence to uproot himself to play elsewhere. Self belief, a will too play, and a willingness to go to any lengths to succeed, strikes me as a cracking attitude. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Can’t say I’m surprised at Doyle news. More money,club on the up.
There doesn’t really feel like much of a pathway here either still.

If they're good enough they get a chance. Doyle has looked good in some of the B team games I've been to at Totton but nothing that really made me think he was worthy of a first team appearance as such. 

• Like 1

Doyle has basically done what Tino, Gav, Edozie, Larios, Lavia etc all did in leaving a team he wasn’t playing, with a hope of getting game time young rather than waiting until he’s 23/24 like a lot of players end up doing. Not sure us of all clubs can have too many complaints, we’ve been a safe haven for plenty of other youngsters wanting to play first team football. Not that I think he’ll get much game time soon, mind, but he may get a loan to their Belgian club and play there for a bit.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I too am disappointed to lose young talent, but I don't think you are really putting yourself in the shoes of these guys and understanding the decisions they have to make. 

Chelsea offered Jimmy-Jay more money than you can imagine - it was simply impossible to turn down. To say he `demanded ludicrous money to stay' is not fair. It's a free market. Saints had a choice. Pay ridiculous money to keep top talent, or accept defeat and sell...for a huge amount I might add.  It was a no brainer decision for him to make. 

The simple matter of fact here is we attracted some of these very talented youth players by offering very good contracts ourselves. People and policy have subsequently changed, and those young players are not being given money, perhaps beyond their worth, to stay. Saints has a budget and that budget just does not match Chelsea etc. 

I am not saying these guys are making the right moves for their career, time will tell, but if you are going to play in the reserves or sit on the bench, you may as well be at a club that pays you more to do so. And in some cases a lot more. They are young guys too. If it doesn't work out at Chelsea or Brighton, there will be opportunities down the pyramid -  I know of one club that is more than happy to buy unwanted Chelsea/City youth talent. 

I understand your frustration, but money talks in this game. It's worth pointing out that we benefited from raiding less rich clubs with the likes of Lallana and Walcott. And now it's up to us to have the scouts and people in place to do the same. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

As much as what you say is correct, Southampton are a very different prospect now compared to when KD got injured.  Recent games have shown us and KD that the youngsters will be given a chance if they are good enough, the game is suitable and they are fit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

Yep. I struggle with the "poor attitude" comments towards a young player who wants to play football, and has the confidence to uproot himself to play elsewhere. Self belief, a will too play, and a willingness to go to any lengths to succeed, strikes me as a cracking attitude. 

Unless they aren't actually capable of making the step up despite said self belief . Time will tell but the drop out rate is very high at prem level even for seasoned players.

1 minute ago, East Kent Saint said:

Unless they aren't actually capable of making the step up despite said self belief . Time will tell but the drop out rate is very high at prem level even for seasoned players.

Ability and attitude are different things. 

2 hours ago, egg said:

He's probably looked at us bringing in another CM on loan and thought - what is the point. I don't dissagree with him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

He's probably looked at us bringing in another CM on loan and thought - what is the point. I don't dissagree with him. 

Or...it's been obvious for a while that KD's intention is to move on.  It's his decision.  

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

Or we go for someone like O’Hare out of contract looks very good plays same position and no gamble like there is with KD.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

For the first time in a long long time I am not bothered if we don't get anyone in this window. I am more concerned who we lose.

I am not in the least concerned about either. Only Adams could leave and that will be no great loss. 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I too am disappointed to lose young talent, but I don't think you are really putting yourself in the shoes of these guys and understanding the decisions they have to make. 

Chelsea offered Jimmy-Jay more money than you can imagine - it was simply impossible to turn down. To say he `demanded ludicrous money to stay' is not fair. It's a free market. Saints had a choice. Pay ridiculous money to keep top talent, or accept defeat and sell...for a huge amount I might add.  It was a no brainer decision for him to make. 

The simple matter of fact here is we attracted some of these very talented youth players by offering very good contracts ourselves. People and policy have subsequently changed, and those young players are not being given money, perhaps beyond their worth, to stay. Saints has a budget and that budget just does not match Chelsea etc. 

I am not saying these guys are making the right moves for their career, time will tell, but if you are going to play in the reserves or sit on the bench, you may as well be at a club that pays you more to do so. And in some cases a lot more. They are young guys too. If it doesn't work out at Chelsea or Brighton, there will be opportunities down the pyramid -  I know of one club that is more than happy to buy unwanted Chelsea/City youth talent. 

I understand your frustration, but money talks in this game. It's worth pointing out that we benefited from raiding less rich clubs with the likes of Lallana and Walcott. And now it's up to us to have the scouts and people in place to do the same. 

I think Saints need to get smarter so the young players can see the various options to get to the first time. As you say, Saints cannot compete on wages so need to make smarter decisions on how young players progress.  

I assume the SR family of clubs are part of possible options for first team experience although currently need to be in a higher division, so that is work in progress that will currently impact those trying to get into the first team. Perhaps having agreements with other clubs can help in the meantime?

Of course not all youngsters are going to make it or agree to the plan so will be lost, but it’s trying to maximise the chances of success or getting the best compensation deal. 

SFC was in a state of free fall chaos barely a year ago. A shambles. Multiple managerial changes and horrible football. 

As a promising Academy / u21 player at that time one might be forgiven for thinking “ what’s the point” of graduating to a Saints first team that’s relegation bound and with no idea of what it how to play football anymore. 

What exactly were they learning and being able to aspire to? Saying “become another JWP” was already starting to lose its currency and the more likely outcome was NOT making the squad of a championship team going nowhere fast - at best. 

Not making the squad in an EPL team is another thing altogether.

In that context it’s actually surprising we held on to what we did and unsurprising that our young talents take opportunities - if and when they arise - to go to settled EPL sides like Brighton. 

Id like to think that the brakes have been put on and we’re heading once again in the right direction football-wise, which means that young talents CAN see possibilities with Saints that were obviously less likely a short time ago. 

Edited by gio1saints

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

As much as what you say is correct, Southampton are a very different prospect now compared to when KD got injured.  Recent games have shown us and KD that the youngsters will be given a chance if they are good enough, the game is suitable and they are fit. 

2 minutes for Dibling as the grand total for academy players in the last 3 months of championship football certainly hasn't shown us that

3 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Doyle has basically done what Tino, Gav, Edozie, Larios, Lavia etc all did in leaving a team he wasn’t playing, with a hope of getting game time young rather than waiting until he’s 23/24 like a lot of players end up doing. Not sure us of all clubs can have too many complaints, we’ve been a safe haven for plenty of other youngsters wanting to play first team football. Not that I think he’ll get much game time soon, mind, but he may get a loan to their Belgian club and play there for a bit.

They all moved down a level though.  He's effectively done a Jimmy Morgan.

Edited by SuperSAINT

So KD thinks he will get game in a PL team with very good PL players @ Brighton vs championship Saints, yeah not logical. We are playing young kids, baz, edoz, charles, charly etc so we play them IF they are good enough! Is KD good enough. Did Rm not see him as ready ( boy thinks he is, but coaches managers dont?). His mates are getting game time, why wouldnt he think his was coming soon, IF he was ready.

I dont wish him good luck or bad luck, seems like he is willing to try somewhere else. He was ready to be a possitive asset to us after years of youth scolarships with us, but decided to leave. Maybe he didnt see a pathway forward, could not see himself displacing what we got? So Brighton will be easier because they have worse players than us?........$$$$$$$$$$ come to mind$$$$$$$$$$$

11 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

So KD thinks he will get game in a PL team with very good PL players @ Brighton vs championship Saints, yeah not logical. We are playing young kids, baz, edoz, charles, charly etc so we play them IF they are good enough! Is KD good enough. Did Rm not see him as ready ( boy thinks he is, but coaches managers dont?). His mates are getting game time, why wouldnt he think his was coming soon, IF he was ready.

I dont wish him good luck or bad luck, seems like he is willing to try somewhere else. He was ready to be a possitive asset to us after years of youth scolarships with us, but decided to leave. Maybe he didnt see a pathway forward, could not see himself displacing what we got? So Brighton will be easier because they have worse players than us?........$$$$$$$$$$ come to mind$$$$$$$$$$$

You've listed 3 players whom are considered back up to more experienced players...?

SAA - looked shit hot during pre-season, played every game, hardly gets a minute in the leauge. 

Personally think that youngsters these days have unrealistic expectations and think they should be playing just because they do well at under 21 level. Doyle looked distinctly average in pre season, then gets injured and thinks he should be playing? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

You've listed 3 players whom are considered back up to more experienced players...?

SAA - looked shit hot during pre-season, played every game, hardly gets a minute in the leauge. 

Are they players getting game time? YES........whats your point?

Young raw players getting game time to improve to become experienced players seem the norm to me.

SAA had a couple of appreance in the 1st team, he did do well and not so well, go figure, raw kid not quire ready, but not forgotten......Should he leave too? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

We're playing players we splunked massive transfer fees on, that's a huge difference in motivation to play them.

If anything doyle could improve his chances of playing for Saints by moving to city for a year and not playing

46 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

They all moved down a level though.  He's effectively done a Jimmy Morgan.

We don't know that yet. If he's gone to Brighton to play kids football, then I'd agree. If he's gone with (I think unlikely) assurances that he'll be around the first team then it's very different, ditto if he's gone to get half a season on loan in a proper league, them return to a pathway at a PL club.

What's obvious from all the replies is that nobody has a clue whether promises here weren't met, and what's on offer elsewhere. All I see is a promising kid nearly out of contract, who's not been given a chance here,  going to a PL club. Seems like a no brainer for the lad. 

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

2 minutes for Dibling as the grand total for academy players in the last 3 months of championship football certainly hasn't shown us that

Nice selection, sir.

As we seem to be ignoring cup games, which Championship matches would you have played our academy prospects in?

4 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Dibling, Sam Amo-Ayew and Meghoma are getting sub appearances when 4-1 up and 1 cup game so far. Which might be fine for them but I believe they are a year younger than Kamari. I think the injury came at an awful time for him because he may well have put a case forward to be more involved, but his contract is up in 6 months and he needed to make a decision. Not least because I imagine Saints wanted more than the nominal fee they would get in the summer. I can’t imagine he was at all tempted to commit to a club for a few more years he’s yet to get a chance at, especially when a more suitable club is offering him one.

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Brighton are giving younger players than we are more chances at a higher level. Fact.

I couldn’t give a toss about some academy player leaving. 
all that matters to me is the starting 11 on a first team match day and the substitutes.

there will be no more Bale,Lallana,Chamberlain,Wallace brothers etc…for a long while  

Once in a while we might have a ‘gem’ but that boat has sailed.
no loyalty from players…no loyalty from clubs.,just commercial revenue.  
the only loyalty is from fans.  

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Brighton are giving younger players than we are more chances at a higher level. Fact.

I actually agree with you. Under Poch we had an actual playing youth philosophy where we would regularly throw youngsters into games of consequence. We clearly don't have that this year but I would argue that the stakes are currently too high to risk it. We have to get promoted this year and that means playing our best players as regularly as possible. Expect to see plenty of youngsters next year should we fail to get promoted. If some players feel they have to leave due to our stance this year then that's the consequence of relegation and our current situation I'm afraid the same consequence that lost us the likes of JWP and ABK in the summer.

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Nice selection, sir.

As we seem to be ignoring cup games, which Championship matches would you have played our academy prospects in?

We were 2 nil up in 3 of our last 4 home league games by 64 minute, where we ended up winning by 4 plus. You could have given players meaningful time in any of those. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I actually agree with you. Under Poch we had an actual playing youth philosophy where we would regularly throw youngsters into games of consequence. We clearly don't have that this year but I would argue that the stakes are currently too high to risk it. We have to get promoted this year and that means playing our best players as regularly as possible. Expect to see plenty of youngsters next year should we fail to get promoted. If some players feel they have to leave due to our stance this year then that's the consequence of relegation and our current situation I'm afraid the same consequence that lost us the likes of JWP and ABK in the summer.

Yep, totally agree. No fault of any of the new management team or the young players, just an awkward set back/consequence of an unsettled season and desire for quick promotion.

Would also point out that due to the lack of quality in the academy currently over 18/19 that Doyle seems to be the only small collateral damage it’s really setback. 

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

We were 2 nil up in 3 of our last 4 home league games by 64 minute, where we ended up winning by 4 plus. You could have given players meaningful time in any of those. 

We were 3-1 up at Swansea yet Martin got blasted for subbing on an experienced player who played in prem last season.

Point is at moment and this season we can’t risk too much in league, we can in cup. Last year was shit show- next year we will see with this new management set up under Wilcox.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 4