Saints 3-1 Birmingham - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Surely the whole point of playing football is to have possession )of the bal). without it how do you score?

The whole point os to score more than the other team. That involves doing something positive with the ball, not just passing it around waiting to give it away. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, egg said:

The whole point os to score more than the other team. That involves doing something positive with the ball, not just passing it around waiting to give it away. 

Would you prefer us to go for long balls hoofed up field for the opposition to gobble up. We both    must be bored to type about this.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

Would you prefer us to go for long balls hoofed up field for the opposition to gobble up. We both    must be bored to type about this.

It doesn't have to be long ball, or pointless possession. What we need is some incisiveness to our play, more movement between the lines... basically to do more when we have the ball. 

I'm not bored typing about our football, but I get bored watching it. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, egg said:

It doesn't have to be long ball, or pointless possession. What we need is some incisiveness to our play, more movement between the lines... basically to do more when we have the ball. 

I'm not bored typing about our football, but I get bored watching it. 

This is key and it drives me mad watching us because we don't do nearly enough of it. There are loads of pockets of space but we ignore them. There are times when it's crying out for a forward or advanced player to drop off to receive a pass and nobody moves a muscle. Does RM watch how we play or does he just not know how to fix it?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

This is key and it drives me mad watching us because we don't do nearly enough of it. There are loads of pockets of space but we ignore them. There are times when it's crying out for a forward or advanced player to drop off to receive a pass and nobody moves a muscle. Does RM watch how we play or does he just not know how to fix it?

this is the problem for me. When we play the system well in small patches we are dangerous and exciting. All too often its short passes that slows the game right down ignoring runners and space. It gets to the point where players stop making the runs,

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

I've not seen anything to suggest that he knows how to sort it. With Ralph (at his best) the players moved and when we passed the players and the ball moved up the pitch, and we created. This brand of football is tedious and predictable...pass, pass, pass, lose ball. It seems that we have no obvious attacking plan. 

• Like 4

Just now, egg said:

I've not seen anything to suggest that he knows how to sort it. With Ralph (at his best) the players moved and when we passed the players and the ball moved up the pitch, and we created. This brand of football is tedious and predictable...pass, pass, pass, lose ball. It seems that we have no obvious attacking plan. 

we seem to rely on moments of individual quality to get a break through/get points...rather than patterns of play.

Just constant sideways football is dire

• Like 7

4 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

Since February 2022, Saints have only won 1 league game by more than a single goal (Leeds 3-1).   We really seem to have forgotten how to put a team to the sword. Like you, I am concerned that winning by a single goal isn't sustainable. 

That's a remarkable statistic. I would surprised if that isn't the longest period in the football league. 

Martin Presser v Brum

• I have had plenty of attention and seems many desperate to see it not work
  • Wayne will have plenty of attention now, he is a good guy. 
  • He has been asked to change the style, and as we have found, it is not a quick process
  • We have a really good chance to make it a good week for us
  • We have to take into account the travelling. We have tired bodies and mind, but have recovered well
  • There will be changes and we have to bring more energy onto the pitch
  • Interesting why people want me to fail. I feel it, and I appear to be really devisive
  • This is a big club, especially at this level. The expectations is to get back to the prem very quickly
  • Proud of the work, of the beliefs and there is no right or wrong way. I believe in this way
  • I wish I could have been a part of what we are doing here, when I was a player
  • British traditions seems to be to get the ball in certain areas and win the 2nd ball
  • People probably deem our style as arrogant or naive. I cannot do this job if I have to compromise
  • In other nations, it would be looked at very differently, as they have a different cultural context. That is interesting
  • Does not worry or upset me, it is my job to convince people that it will be a success, I am really confident
  • Interesting why many have made their mind up about me
  • I would be disliked less if I was spanish 
  • It is a really lazy assumption we do not pass the ball forward, our stats are right up there
  • we chose to make different passes to other teams and during games, the rhythm of the game needs to change
  • We go 2-1 down and when they put 10 men behind the ball, it is very difficult. Simply have to stop putting ourselves in that situation
  • There has to be an element of risk and freedom. We have found a way to utilise KwP, which I am sure will change as the season goes on
  • It was a very lazy assumption at Swansea (about lack of goals), and it is lazy here. We will be one of the top scorers in the league come end of season
  • We had a bad 4 games, now we are unbeaten in 5, which are the foundations, the rest will come
  • we have to create more chances, but that will come
  • The players understand that I would rather we carried on playing the way we do and concede, but to do something else
  • we score a lot of late goals, so the mentality is there
  • The experiences of many players here is a factor, but it is getting better
  • I am really happy how the team is growing. I must be demanding
  • I am really annoyed about Rotherham and how we went 2-1 down the other night
  • But the players did well to remain unbeaten and have a chance to get another win tomorrow and we are in a good place.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 9

I think I got the gist of it. He was clear that he will not be changing and it is lazy assumptions from people (who seem to dislike him and his fashion sense) that we are not a threat going forward. It was the same at Swansea.

He is adamant that he would be far more popular if he was spanish (was a bit tongue in cheek)

14 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I think I got the gist of it. He was clear that he will not be changing and it is lazy assumptions from people (who seem to dislike him and his fashion sense) that we are not a threat going forward. It was the same at Swansea.

He is adamant that he would be far more popular if he was spanish (was a bit tongue in cheek)

The more I watch his pre-match press conferences the more I'm convinced he either reads this forum, or knows someone who does (there's one or two obvious candidates... ;) ). He quite often defends himself about stuff that's written on here without being prompted. Not as overt as Jones' obvious direct/indirectly presence on here, but a similar vibe. Maybe if he could shoehorn the phrase: "No, it's not a load of pony" into the next press conference we'd know for sure.... 😉😃

(Hello Russell, by the way... Can we have more performances like the first half against Leeds please? Cheers!)

:)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 7

The last two home games, we've started brilliantly. We should've got more against Rotherham and ultimately it's cost us but the start we were all over them. Same with Leeds.

Hopefully we do the same again, race into a 2/3-0 lead by half time and we can manage the second half when the energy levels/tiredness starts to creep in. Time to make a team chase the game for once instead of us.

• Interesting why people want me to fail. Ifeel it, and I appear to be really devisive

Nobody wants you to fail, you’re devisive because your football is a bit boring, average results  & you come over as a bit of a cock sometimes. Some people believe your bullshit, others don’t. 

“In other nations, it would be looked at very differently, as they have a different cultural context.”

No you wouldn’t, if your results were the same with a similar sized club and the football was shite, you’d get the same response. Particularly if you implied supporters  don’t know what they’re talking about and don’t understand your genius. 

• I would be disliked less if I was spanish 

I can’t speak for others, but personally I’d dislike you more if you were Spanish. 

“we chose to make different passes toother teams”

Instead of passing to other teams, could we try passing to Southampton players. 

“I cannot do this job if I have to compromise”

Fuck off then.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 11
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

The more I watch his pre-match press conferences the more I'm convinced he either reads this forum, or knows someone who does (there's one or two obvious candidates... ;) ). He quite often defends himself about stuff that's written on here without being prompted. Not as overt as Jones' obvious direct/indirectly presence on here, but a similar vibe. Maybe if he could shoehorn the phrase: "No, it's not a load of pony" into the next press conference we'd know for sure.... 😉😃

(Hello Russell, by the way... Can we have more performances like the first half against Leeds please? Cheers!)

...the obvious candidates....?

55 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:
  •  
  • The players understand that I would rather we carried on playing the way we do and concede, but to do something else

This just sums him up perfectly. 

Just clear off you utter fool

No doubt notnoecato and  gio1 will agree its the way to go🙄

Guess thats why we were smashed by Sunderland and Leicester 

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:
  • Interesting why people want me to fail. Ifeel it, and I appear to be really devisive

Nobody wants you to fail, you’re devisive because your football is a bit boring, average results  & you come over as a bit of a cock sometimes. Some people believe your bullshit, others don’t. 

“In other nations, it would be looked at very differently, as they have a different cultural context.”

No you wouldn’t, if your results were the same with a similar sized club and the football was shite, you’d get the same response. Particularly if you implied supporters  don’t know what they’re talking about and don’t understand your genius. 

I can’t speak for others, but personally I’d dislike you more if you were Spanish. 

Fuck off then.

Nice to see you showing your true xenophobic colours..."I'd dislike him more if he was Spanish..."  Just fucking, wow, easily the most honest and abhorrent post I've seen on here.  

A new low on SaintsWeb if you're allowed to get away with this shit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, trousers said:

To be fair the question was asked, he could've ducked it but that doesn't seem to be the way he operates in when talking to the press.  I'm not on X, Fakebook or TitTat but I'd imagine the Saints traffic is significantly more on those platforms than on here.  He's well loved on Grindr, so I'm told 😉

25 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Nice to see you showing your true xenophobic colours..."I'd dislike him more if he was Spanish..."  Just fucking, wow, easily the most honest and abhorrent post I've seen on here.  

If only Lord D was on a wind-up looking for bites rather than being serious... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Our league position indicates that we are better than 19 teams and worse than 4 teams (all of which we have so far played) !

Glass half full 😇

that is one way of looking at. I am happy we are in 5th place considering the way we have played.

• tied for last in Goals Allowed so far this season. dreadful.
  • A -3 Goal Difference and in 5th place? That is is not sustainable

i guess the glass half empty outlook is two losses in a row would likely drops us to 15th place.

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck off then.

Let's not forget he promised us interesting football and has completely failed to deliver and has been far too chippy about the criticism from fans.

If the team play consistently with purpose and he stops making bizarre excuses about scar tissue and it being the fans fault then maybe he'll start to win people over.

Like NJ he seems to think he's got a god given right to all of the fans being onside rather than earning it.

• Like 2

One thing I was thinking about the other day, how often do we get it into the strikers feet (Adams)? He's actually pretty good with the ball at his feet. Surely it would be good to play it into him now and again and get the wide players making runs off him? Or is that too simple for Martinball? 

48 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Yeah yeah, racist hides behind wind-up guise.  Why would anyone want to do that?  

He's a tedious, tiresome, racist twat.  A one trick pony.

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Says the poster who referred to RM being on Grindr! 

Glasshouses/bricks etc. 

Edited by egg

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Says the poster who referred to RM being on Grindr! 

Glasshouses/bricks etc. 

Mate, happy for you to support your bigot pal of a poster but if you're going to quote me at least do so honestly.  A laughing wink would, to most normal people, be a signal of this not being a serious opinion.  And if RM is a big hit on Grindr so fucking what??  Why would it be any different to those on Tindr, or plentyoffish or even fucking Pompeyonline marvelling at him?   

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Amazing press conference really. He has as much self awareness as Jones. Must be a ‘thing’ with these lower league managers, constantly striving to be seen as a big deal when nobody really gives a fuck about them. 

Really heightened view of his own importance, highlighted by the fact we wouldn’t miss him if he fucked off and left us tonight. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, egg said:

And when we do lose the ball it’s generally when we have pushed up to the half way line leaving masses of space behind. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Mate, happy for you to support your bigot pal of a poster but if you're going to quote me at least do so honestly.  A laughing wink would, to most normal people, be a signal of this not being a serious opinion.  And if RM is a big hit on Grindr so fucking what??  Why would it be any different to those on Tindr, or plentyoffish or even fucking Pompeyonline marvelling at him?   

No support, just staggered by the irony of you saying that LD's bigoted post is the worst thing you've ever seen on here, but on the same thread you go in with a bit of casual homophobia disguised by a laughing emoji. 

Glasshouses/bricks. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, iansums said:

I could only watch the first half against Preston but I did notice how often AA in particular tried making runs but never once did we attempt a through ball, more often than not they simply turned and played a backwards pass.

It’s the same every game - AA makes some great runs but is hardly ever picked out or noticed. 

9 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

And when we do lose the ball it’s generally when we have pushed up to the half way line leaving masses of space behind. 

Exactly. We take an age to progress not very far, there's no real movement, the players run out of ideas, the ball gets lost, and boom were under pressure. The frustration is that the players caught upfield generally aren't in a position to cause damage had the ball reached them. The football is Puel esque for me, but with less solidity at the back. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck off then.

Did Russell Martin shag your wife( or your husband)? Did he murder your gran in cold blood. What has he done to deserve this ire?

Yet more Death squad misery talk at its finest along with your acolytes who ❤️it when you tell RM he can fuck off.

oh- yeah - its 5 games & top six unbeaten so obvs he’s a cu nt or a co cl or whatever. We should have had Harry in or some other football dinosaur Manager. But not a foreigner obvs. 

in case you notice the list of European Champions league or EPL winners applying to manage saints was not all that long. We’ve got who we’ve got unless you and Death squad goons want to put us all through the misery of getting rid of yet another manager. Bring back Nigel? Beg Ralph to return? Ask Potter to come back? Just who TF would want to come to saints with a toxic bunch of cynical negative fans like you? Oh the misery! You need to cheer up fella. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 Birmingham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic