Saints 3-1 Birmingham - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

25 minutes ago, egg said:

No support, just staggered by the irony of you saying that LD's bigoted post is the worst thing you've ever seen on here, but on the same thread you go in with a bit of casual homophobia disguised by a laughing emoji. 

Glasshouses/bricks. 

What is homophobic about a person being "well loved" on Grindr as opposed to the hatred shown on other platforms?   Not that I expect you to answer a direct question.  You're a bit twisted, Egg. 

Edited by notnowcato
  • Confused 6

Well this thread has gone to shit.

My preferred team tomorrow based on my own desires, not form etc, picking Bree over Manning as he can actually defend and did well in an unfamiliar role last game.

Bazagol

KWP.     Bednerak.    HWP.        Bree 

Charles.   Downes

Charly

S armstrong.                   Sulemana

LND

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin Presser v Brum

• I have had plenty of attention and seems many desperate to see it not work
  • Wayne will have plenty of attention now, he is a good guy. 
  • He has been asked to change the style, and as we have found, it is not a quick process
  • We have a really good chance to make it a good week for us
  • We have to take into account the travelling. We have tired bodies and mind, but have recovered well
  • There will be changes and we have to bring more energy onto the pitch
  • Interesting why people want me to fail. I feel it, and I appear to be really devisive
  • This is a big club, especially at this level. The expectations is to get back to the prem very quickly
  • Proud of the work, of the beliefs and there is no right or wrong way. I believe in this way
  • I wish I could have been a part of what we are doing here, when I was a player
  • British traditions seems to be to get the ball in certain areas and win the 2nd ball
  • People probably deem our style as arrogant or naive. I cannot do this job if I have to compromise
  • In other nations, it would be looked at very differently, as they have a different cultural context. That is interesting
  • Does not worry or upset me, it is my job to convince people that it will be a success, I am really confident
  • Interesting why many have made their mind up about me
  • I would be disliked less if I was spanish 
  • It is a really lazy assumption we do not pass the ball forward, our stats are right up there
  • we chose to make different passes to other teams and during games, the rhythm of the game needs to change
  • We go 2-1 down and when they put 10 men behind the ball, it is very difficult. Simply have to stop putting ourselves in that situation
  • There has to be an element of risk and freedom. We have found a way to utilise KwP, which I am sure will change as the season goes on
  • It was a very lazy assumption at Swansea (about lack of goals), and it is lazy here. We will be one of the top scorers in the league come end of season
  • We had a bad 4 games, now we are unbeaten in 5, which are the foundations, the rest will come
  • we have to create more chances, but that will come
  • The players understand that I would rather we carried on playing the way we do and concede, but to do something else
  • we score a lot of late goals, so the mentality is there
  • The experiences of many players here is a factor, but it is getting better
  • I am really happy how the team is growing. I must be demanding
  • I am really annoyed about Rotherham and how we went 2-1 down the other night
  • But the players did well to remain unbeaten and have a chance to get another win tomorrow and we are in a good place.

That's a good summary, thanks.

Not sure if its the way you've summarised it, or the weight given to various points but seems like some shades of Nathan in there. He's a far more polished and articulate version certainly, but reading about  him knocking back the criticism, and his doubters is familiar. He even gets onto the topic of "compromising".

Did he mention he could have worked in a Brighton Supermarket instead at some point?

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Did Russell Martin shag your wife( or your husband)? Did he murder your gran in cold blood. What has he done to deserve this ire?

Yet more Death squad misery talk at its finest along with your acolytes who ❤️it when you tell RM he can fuck off.

oh- yeah - its 5 games & top six unbeaten so obvs he’s a cu nt or a co cl or whatever. We should have had Harry in or some other football dinosaur Manager. But not a foreigner obvs. 

in case you notice the list of European Champions league or EPL winners applying to manage saints was not all that long. We’ve got who we’ve got unless you and Death squad goons want to put us all through the misery of getting rid of yet another manager. Bring back Nigel? Beg Ralph to return? Ask Potter to come back? Just who TF would want to come to saints with a toxic bunch of cynical negative fans like you? Oh the misery! You need to cheer up fella. 

Wow just glad im not a season ticket holder.......................................must be us fans fault for wanting the club we support to do well, style over substance ,we have neither, oh shit substance we keep the ball far too long and concede far too many. We dont pick the team nor the tactics the manager decides that. 

• Like 4

Been away from forum for a few weeks and having got back on today I seem to have entered a parallel universe to the one I experience at matches.  Jus5 have a read on the Martin thread, good grief.  We are one point off third spot and unbeaten in six!

Anyway back to the thread.  I would pick:

Baz

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning

Smallbone, Downes, Armstrong (S)

Armstrong (A), Alcaraz, Kamaldeen

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Forester said:

Been away from forum for a few weeks and having got back on today I seem to have entered a parallel universe to the one I experience at matches.  Jus5 have a read on the Martin thread, good grief.  We are one point off third spot and unbeaten in six!

Anyway back to the thread.  I would pick:

Baz

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning

Smallbone, Downes, Armstrong (S)

Armstrong (A), Alcaraz, Kamaldeen

I'd be happy with that team, but I think there's a case for Fraser down the right, AA through the middle, and SA fighting it out with Charlie for a place on the middle. Hopefully we'll see THB back. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

Amazing press conference really. He has as much self awareness as Jones. Must be a ‘thing’ with these lower league managers, constantly striving to be seen as a big deal when nobody really gives a fuck about them. 

Really heightened view of his own importance, highlighted by the fact we wouldn’t miss him if he fucked off and left us tonight. 

Deffo needs to shut his pie-hole and let the performances do the talking!

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

cheers bro i find these summaries really good so gold star's all round.

Expect russello martino to be getting the boys firing tomorrow.

Batman just types 'RM press conference please' into chatGPT (winky smiler emoji)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin Presser v Brum

• I have had plenty of attention and seems many desperate to see it not work
  •  

This is just solid gold bollocks. Nobody is desperate to see it not work, they're desperate to see something that does work. Jesus. 

• Like 14

1 minute ago, stknowle said:

This is just solid gold bollocks. Nobody is desperate to see it not work, they're desperate to see something that does work. Jesus. 

Yep...it seems to be a too much about him to him. We're interested in the team and results.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, stknowle said:

We'd all love to see it work. The problem is he doesn't know how to make it work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LGTL said:

Amazing press conference really. He has as much self awareness as Jones. Must be a ‘thing’ with these lower league managers, constantly striving to be seen as a big deal when nobody really gives a fuck about them

Really heightened view of his own importance, highlighted by the fact we wouldn’t miss him if he fucked off and left us tonight. 

That's not entirely true. Ramsus W. Ankersen and his puppet Wilcox think he's the new Pep, and he's going to turn us into Man City/Barcelona.

Instead Ankersen's turning us into f*cking Swansea (while emptying Dragan's wallet).

Swansea fan's quote from earlier in the year:

"Yes we have useless owners, a useless chief executive, but worse of all is we have a terrible manager who is completely out of his depth in the championship."

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

I like Russell Martin but he never really says much about stopping all the goals we are conceding. Just a thought .

That's because it's everything to do with having the ball. So much so that we don't have a clue what to do when we don't have it.

I'd be shocked if there are any defensive drills in training.

Selles concentrated too much on being good "off the ball" so we're crap when we had it. Now we have the opposite. Where's the balance!?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

I like Russell Martin but he never really says much about stopping all the goals we are conceding. Just a thought .

And to be fair, the the part of the presser that was live was largely Adam Blackmore asking about his style and the pressure he is under (in a round about way)

All he offered was that he some seem to want him to fail, he would be liked more if he was spanish as they have a different culture to football where as we are more about winning the 2nd ball in certain areas, and that we will be one of the highest scorers in the league at the end of the season.

It is evident that he is well aware that of his marmite status, but cannot fathom why. Oh, and he would rather concede a goal trying to play his way, than do anything else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

And to be fair, the the part of the presser that was live was largely Adam Blackmore asking about his style and the pressure he is under (in a round about way)

All he offered was that he some seem to want him to fail, he would be liked more if he was spanish as they have a different culture to football where as we are more about winning the 2nd ball in certain areas, and that we will be one of the highest scorers in the league at the end of the season.

It is evident that he is well aware that of his marmite status, but cannot fathom why. Oh, and he would rather concede a goal trying to play his way, than do anything else.

I'd agree with him if we were playing quality football but we aren't.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Did Russell Martin shag your wife( or your husband)? Did he murder your gran in cold blood. What has he done to deserve this ire?

Yet more Death squad misery talk at its finest along with your acolytes who ❤️it when you tell RM he can fuck off.

oh- yeah - its 5 games & top six unbeaten so obvs he’s a cu nt or a co cl or whatever. We should have had Harry in or some other football dinosaur Manager. But not a foreigner obvs. 

in case you notice the list of European Champions league or EPL winners applying to manage saints was not all that long. We’ve got who we’ve got unless you and Death squad goons want to put us all through the misery of getting rid of yet another manager. Bring back Nigel? Beg Ralph to return? Ask Potter to come back? Just who TF would want to come to saints with a toxic bunch of cynical negative fans like you? Oh the misery! You need to cheer up fella. 

Don't worry about Duckie. He doesn't like Martin. He didn't like Selles. Or Jones. He couldn't stand Ralph. Or Hughes.....

He can't stand Bazunu. He hated JWP. Don't think that he likes the music. Or the half time entertainment.....

But of a theme eh? Just be grateful you are not married to him.

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

"We go 2-1 down and when they put 10 men behind the ball, it is very difficult. Simply have to stop putting ourselves in that situation"

Oh, it's that simple is it? 

How about you have a plan for when we inevitably go a goal down. 

How about a plan not to go a goal down?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

"We go 2-1 down and when they put 10 men behind the ball, it is very difficult. Simply have to stop putting ourselves in that situation"

Did Russell Martin pork your missus or something? You've properly got it in for him :lol:

Last week you were after him because he celebrated a 96th minute away win by going to the fans, this week it's because he wants the team to stop falling behind in games, rather than trying to routinely dig themselves out of holes.

If he didn't give that comment and instead said he wants to focus on having a plan for going behind, your response would presumably be something like 'How about you have a plan that means we don't go behind in the first place?"

Incredibly boring.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jack said:

Well I’m glad Russell is happy to see us concede shitloads of goals as long as the possession stats are good. Because I’m fucking sick of it. 

He must just be a bit happy clappy. I was listening to his interview after the game and he stated he was sad for Che coming off injured as he had played so well in the first half. He must simply be comforting his players as every week he claims a 2/10 performance is world class. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I've got a much more cunning plan, just score our late goals earlier. 

Just put our best team on the pitch, throw the playbook out the window and let them just play football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s pretty dire football to watch.. I don’t mind possession but when you get a chance to counter attack but choose to retain the ball instead and go into safe mode, that’s what I don’t get.. I imagine the attacking players are pretty pissed off, we hardly create any chances, we rarely push to the bye line. It’s just very boring, unimaginative football. I’m not actually sure how we’ve got so many points by being bloody average, bar 30 mins against Leeds.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We really are 2022 Swansea with KwP, THB and Sully

Whoever Swansea have on the wings, they're very likely having a better season than Sully. Great at knocking it past his man and getting to the byline, but his delivery and decision making is shit. Hasnt scored in a league that he probably thinks hes too good to play in and was central to that shambolic goal we conceded against Leicester from our own corner. For close to 25m, hes been incredibly disappointing. When you look at what Tella was doing before he left, Sully is nowhere near that at the moment

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Whoever Swansea have on the wings, they're very likely having a better season than Sully. Great at knocking it past his man and getting to the byline, but his delivery and decision making is shit. Hasnt scored in a league that he probably thinks hes too good to play in and was central to that shambolic goal we conceded against Leicester from our own corner. For close to 25m, hes been incredibly disappointing. When you look at what Tella was doing before he left, Sully is nowhere near that at the moment

Genuine question; you don't think it's down to those he's meant to be servicing? He's got 2 assists so far and is aiming at a cart horse in Che, and an-out-of-position-AA (who's also pretty meh). 

Or maybe it's the system that doesn't suit him? He likes to try and advance up the field, take on players, make things happen and not tap it 5 yards backwards/sideways ad nausea.

I'll concede that his goal output isn't great, but he's never really been that player. Tella was more direct and I would have preferred we kept him instead/also, but we fucked him off pretty quick, annoyingly. 

As it happens Edozie started scoring a bit, taking players on so got hooked for 3 games. Stop that son!😂

Bazunu

KWP - THB - Bednarek - Manning

Downes

Alcaraz - S. Armstrong

Edozie - A. Armstrong - Sulemana

For me.

Manning back in, as would prefer a left footed player in the position. Alcaraz in midfield with Stuart Armstrong, rather than safety first Smallbone.

Praying that Harwood-Bellis is back fit.

Then the front three should ensure the majority of our attacks don’t go down Sulemana’s side. A bit of flexibility, if you have Edozie and KWP causing chaos on the other side. A. Armstrong in the middle, also provides a bit more movement than Adams, who has been static since September 1st. Could even become an interchangeable front three, causing no ends of problems to the opposition defence. 

I expect it will be Smallbone, A. Armstrong out wide and we’ll go back to the Alcaraz false 9 experiment tomorrow, though. 

11 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We really are 2022 Swansea with KwP, THB and Sully

And without KWP, Sulemana and sporadic efforts from Stu and Alcaraz we lack runners and players with an eye for quickening the game and finding an attacking pass.   A situation made worse by Martin's version of possession Football.

6 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

That's not entirely true. Ramsus W. Ankersen and his puppet Wilcox think he's the new Pep, and he's going to turn us into Man City/Barcelona.

Instead Ankersen's turning us into f*cking Swansea (while emptying Dragan's wallet).

Swansea fan's quote from earlier in the year:

"Yes we have useless owners, a useless chief executive, but worse of all is we have a terrible manager who is completely out of his depth in the championship."

How they getting on this year out of interest? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Did Russell Martin pork your missus or something? You've properly got it in for him :lol:

Last week you were after him because he celebrated a 96th minute away win by going to the fans, this week it's because he wants the team to stop falling behind in games, rather than trying to routinely dig themselves out of holes.

If he didn't give that comment and instead said he wants to focus on having a plan for going behind, your response would presumably be something like 'How about you have a plan that means we don't go behind in the first place?"

Incredibly boring.

He's shit, no other reason needed for me to not like the guy. 

I agree with your last sentence though, he is incredibly boring.

Edit: To clarify, I wasn't "going after" him because he celebrated with the away fans, I mentioned that it's embarrassing that he goes to the fans after every single win and does the same "yes! yes! yes!" hand wavy/cheer thing, especially as he scarpers like road runner when we lose. I thought it was small-time when Ralph did it as well, but he didn't do it every single time. 

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Nice to see you showing your true xenophobic colours..."I'd dislike him more if he was Spanish..."  Just fucking, wow, easily the most honest and abhorrent post I've seen on here.  

A new low on SaintsWeb if you're allowed to get away with this shit.

Just to recap, your avatar is Peter Sellers and your user name is based on a figure of fun character based on xenophobic stereotypes.

Peter Sellers himself famous for playing on xenophobic and what these days would be seen as racist characterisations.

"Abhorrent" indeed.

Goodness Gracious Me, what an absolute plank.

https://youtu.be/DUZCXaStvnc?si=W69x27fOSWIhWAAH

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Just to recap, your avatar is Peter Sellers and your user name is based on a figure of fun character based on xenophobic stereotypes.

Peter Sellers himself famous for playing on xenophobic and what these days would be seen as racist characterisations.

"Abhorrent" indeed.

Goodness Gracious Me, what an absolute plank.

https://youtu.be/DUZCXaStvnc?si=W69x27fOSWIhWAAH

Yeah and you represented your country in multiple sports. Congratulations, you’re a legend. Talk about scrapping the barrel. It’s empty Fry. 

Cato was tasked by Closeau to surprise attack him, unfortunately and for comedic value it wasn’t at the most appropriate time. 

70s humour, 90s username. Times have moved on. The racist Duckhunters comments were yesterday. 

8 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

You can tell most people here don't go to that many games. The disconnect from what people in the stadium think and what the fans on here think is about as wide as I've ever known it.

I guess the Boos must be imaginary 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Yeah and you represented your country in multiple sports. Congratulations, you’re a legend. Talk about scrapping the barrel. It’s empty Fry. 

Cato was tasked by Closeau to surprise attack him, unfortunately and for comedic value it wasn’t at the most appropriate time. 

70s humour, 90s username. Times have moved on. The racist Duckhunters comments were yesterday. 

Except it was Russell Martin that introduced the concept of "....if I was Spanish", so he's the "abhorrent" one, yes?

Your avatar and and username is, like, now. Today. "Abhorrent", right?

And you’ve left the context of that conversation behind to suit your backing of a racist bigot . Congratulations. 
Even by this forums standards this back and forth is tedious. Crack on. I’ve said all I need to.

We should have enough to deal with Birmingham. Hoping THB returns, Manning will probably replace Bree - not that Bree had a bad game. Shea should start, he needs a run of games for us, clearly a talented youngster. 

COYS!!

Edited by notnowcato

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

And you’ve left the context of that conversation behind to suit your backing of a racist, bigoted . Congratulations. 
Even by this forums standards this back and forth is tedious. Crack on. I’ve said all I need to.

That's no way to talk about Peter Sellers.

• Haha 1

Didn’t see Che Adams in the latest gallery, so not expecting him to be fit. Having just listened to the press conference part 2, I’m not sure why nobody asked about his fitness. He’s not been in good form since the window shut but usually scores against previous employers/boyhood club.

Win today and that point against Preston looks much better. 2-1 Saints is my prediction. 

Rooney to get first win today . All our good play is via KWP and he will be knackered 3 games in a week with all the running he does.

Forwards need to score more but must be frustrated by all the runs they make only to see ball passed sideways and back. Armstrong certainly has made some good lately and never gets spotted.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 Birmingham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic