Saints 3-1 Birmingham - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

Hopefully, some of the 5 changes against Preston will be reversed. 

Manning will be back, hopefully S.Armstrong will start, along with Sully and hopefully THB.

But for god sake, the over-extended crab football has to be tailored a bit.

The worrying part, Brum have lost a few games recently, so we know what that may mean!!!

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 3

Bit of trepidation about this one. We do have an uncanny knack of presenting opposition teams and strikers on bad runs a springboard to switch their form around. Before last night Preston fans had been moaning about their boring football and shit home atmosphere, they no doubt couldn’t believe their luck last night when we let them get at us while we fannied around at the back.

Apparently Brum fans were booing last night and plenty joined in with Hull supporters singing “sacked in the morning” to Rooney. They also played up at Boro at the weekend so expect some Moody-Blues around on Saturday if we do manage to turn them over.

18 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Bit of trepidation about this one. We do have an uncanny knack of presenting opposition teams and strikers on bad runs a springboard to switch their form around. Before last night Preston fans had been moaning about their boring football and shit home atmosphere, they no doubt couldn’t believe their luck last night when we let them get at us while we fannied around at the back.

Apparently Brum fans were booing last night and plenty joined in with Hull supporters singing “sacked in the morning” to Rooney. They also played up at Boro at the weekend so expect some Moody-Blues around on Saturday if we do manage to turn them over.

They've sold full away end , early kick offs usually quite flat atmosphere but might be bit livelier 

Been working on an avant garde line-up for the weekend after last night's show....

not bazunu

kwp       bazunu      bazunu     bazunu

bazunu   bazunu    bazunu    sunemala

bazunu     Loch Ness  

what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

TWO matches in. It’s crazy. I don’t rate him as a Manager but that treatment is just vile. 

I hope we do not get the rebound on us! 

Just goes to show there’s vile abusive idiots all over the world. 

At the rate we are heading managers will get one match - and must win that  - before so called supporters or  “ fans “ turn on them.

Then it will go down to whether so called supporters like the New Managers first press conference and finally it will be down to his haircut or choice of attire when he’s announced. Football support is just the convenient alibi for bad behaviour. 

Birmingham (who to the best of my knowledge have as small a trophy cabinet as Saints) fans should be delighted they have a high profile English legend as manager who might be able to attract half decent players.

I just hope they are still in the learning phase with him and we can take three points to make it six games unbeaten which as others have said would be a disgrace because with this squad we should win every game. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

We need a convincing performance, things are on the verge of turning ugly(er). The win at Hull rebuilt a temporary bridge between the 3 amigos and the supporters, only for the bridge to become destabilised by last nights performance. The result on Saturday could be instrumental setting the tone from hereon. But then I think that about most games lately, its always going to be an uneasy relationship between the fans and the 3 amigos. Only a consistent high level of performances will settle that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

TWO matches in. It’s crazy. I don’t rate him as a Manager but that treatment is just vile. 

I hope we do not get the rebound on us! 

Just goes to show there’s vile abusive idiots all over the world. 

At the rate we are heading managers will get one match - and must win that  - before so called supporters or  “ fans “ turn on them.

Then it will go down to whether so called supporters like the New Managers first press conference and finally it will be down to his haircut or choice of attire when he’s announced. Football support is just the convenient alibi for bad behaviour. 

Birmingham (who to the best of my knowledge have as small a trophy cabinet as Saints) fans should be delighted they have a high profile English legend as manager who might be able to attract half decent players.

I just hope they are still in the learning phase with him and we can take three points to make it six games unbeaten which as others have said would be a disgrace because with this squad we should win every game. 

Its not nice, but they were happy with their manager, and doing well. They didn't want Rooney and he is not doing well, however that will probably turn around Saturday.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

We need a convincing performance, things are on the verge of turning ugly(er). The win at Hull rebuilt a temporary bridge between the 3 amigos and the supporters, only for the bridge to become destabilised by last nights performance. The result on Saturday could be instrumental setting the tone from hereon. But then I think that about most games lately, its always going to be an uneasy relationship between the fans and the 3 amigos. Only a consistent high level of performances will settle that. 

Yep, agree with that. On the face of it, a draw away to a team above is in the league was a decent result. The problem though is we were crap, again, and played ploddy football.

We need a big improvement against Birmingham, and a convincing win. 

• Like 3

Bazunu; KWP, Bednarek, THB, Manning; Downes, Smallbone, S.Armstrong; Sulemena, Alcaraz, A.Armstrong.

Don't rate Smallbone myself but Charles put in a poor display last night. Big game for Alcaraz, he needs to find some form. Wouldn't be against Fraser starting though - a goal and assist (sort of) in the last couple of games. 

Let's hope THB is fit. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

2 hours ago, egg said:

Yep, agree with that. On the face of it, a draw away to a team above is in the league was a decent result. The problem though is we were crap, again, and played ploddy football.

We need a big improvement against Birmingham, and a convincing win. 

Just like to see us using our pretty slick passing but in a more forwards direction.

The play and goal threat amongst our attackers is pretty poor, largely due to the style we have

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Hopefully, some of the 5 changes against Preston will be reversed. 

Manning will be back, hopefully S.Armstrong will start, along with Sully and hopefully THB.

But for god sake, the over-extended crab football has to be tailored a bit.

The worrying part, Brum have lost a few games recently, so we know what that may mean!!!

You know when we are in trouble, fans hoping for Manning & Stevens to be back. Please no more James Bree or Mason Holgate. Would be good to see Russell Martin on the bench for once rather than as a starter, don't think he really deserve his place on the touchline at the moment.

Can't say I'm particularly excited about going especially with the early start, more a labour of love than anything else but it is what it is and sadly this is how it is and forever will be for now.

Still worth going just to see Wayne Rooney in action.

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You know when we are in trouble, fans hoping for Manning & Stevens to be back. Please no more James Bree or Mason Holgate. Would be good to see Russell Martin on the bench for once rather than as a starter, don't think he really deserve his place on the touchline at the moment.

Can't say I'm particularly excited about going especially with the early start, more a labour of love than anything else but it is what it is and sadly this is how it is and forever will be for now.

Still worth going just to see Wayne Rooney in action.

"See Russell Martin on the bench ... rather than as a starter" ????

Not sure that I understand that one.

I had read that Rooney wanted to implement a posession based philosophy. He's not had long, but hopefully enough that we'll outclass them on those points, by virtue of being further along The Process. Where they revert to the style they had, we'll have more problems with. Hopefully they will be disjointed enough, and resenting their old manager getting sacked, for this one to be comfortable win. One for Smallbone and a couple from AA.

31 minutes ago, Highfield Saint said:

Ok. Got it. Winning isn’t enough. It has to be an impressive error free performance dominating the other team to the extent that they have absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever 

Which of course nobody has said.

Don't you want to see us make the most of our potential? Create and score chances? Show signs of improvement? Tighten up at the back?Play entertaining football?

I sure as hell do. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Any news on the Loch Ness Drogba?

I would start him on one foot over Adams and Mara.

Not certain he actually exists. There have been a few dubious sightings plus the odd photographs that look computer generated but nothing conclusive. I smell a hoax.

1 hour ago, Highfield Saint said:

Ok. Got it. Winning isn’t enough. It has to be an impressive error free performance dominating the other team to the extent that they have absolutely no impact on the game whatsoever 

I think the worry is that getting results how we are playing currently just isn't sustainable. Eventually we won't be able to keep getting last minute goals. I can't remember a game where we have been two goals clear or where we don't let the opposition back in. I'm not asking for that every game obviously but a few woukd be nice and give confidence that our form can be sustained. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

I'd like to see A.Armstrong upfront for this one. He's been pretty crap off the wing the last few games, he's a striker so play him there. 

Bazunu

Kwp - Bednarek - THB - Bree

Charles - Downes - Stu

Fraser - A.Armstrong - Sulemana 

Presumably that's the team you would like rather than the team we will actually play. Manning will play not Bree and Smallbone instead of Charles. 

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think the worry is that getting results how we are playing currently just isn't sustainable. Eventually we won't be able to keep getting last minute goals. I can't remember a game where we have been two goals clear or where we don't let the opposition back in. I'm not asking for that every game obviously but a few woukd be nice and give confidence that our form can be sustained. 

I think it's more than this. If we are going to be serious contenders then we have to be better than most of the teams in the league; better than some by a small margin and better than a lot by a bigger margin. At the moment our results show we're barely better than some fairly average sides and a little better than some very poor ones.

• Like 1

Just now, StrangelyBrown said:

I think it's more than this. If we are going to be serious contenders then we have to be better than most of the teams in the league; better than some by a small margin and better than a lot by a bigger margin. At the moment our results show we're barely better than some fairly average sides and a little better than some very poor ones.

Why do ypu post nonsense when our  League position indicates clearly we are contenders for pomotion

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John B said:

Why do ypu post nonsense when our  League position indicates clearly we are contenders for pomotion

Our points total indicates that we're not contenders for promotion. Sure, we make the play offs, but Huddersfield in 21st place are only 6 points of the play off places.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Our league position indicates that we are better than 19 teams and worse than 4 teams (all of which we have so far played) !

Glass half full 😇

Edited by eurosaint

18 minutes ago, egg said:

Our points total indicates that we're not contenders for promotion. Sure, we make the play offs, but Huddersfield in 21st place are only 6 points of the play off places.

I would have thought most people would think we were contenders 21 points and not playing consistently well says so

• Like 1

Seriously come on we should be pissing all over Birmingham at home.

Score early and the 3,000 away fans will make them even more jittery. 
With a decent manager and a good players system we should be winning this 4-1.

As it’s Russell Martin with the way he wants it played then I say 1-1 or 1-2 to them!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, John B said:

Why do ypu post nonsense when our 

2 hours ago, Block41 Saint said:

I'd like to see A.Armstrong upfront for this one. He's been pretty crap off the wing the last few games, he's a striker so play him there. 

Bazunu

Kwp - Bednarek - THB - Bree

Charles - Downes - Stu

Fraser - A.Armstrong - Sulemana 

Not for me - out of all the options we've tried up top all season, we've looked most threatening (comfortably) when Alcaraz has played in that 'false 9' role. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Since February 2022, Saints have only won 1 league game by more than a single goal (Leeds 3-1).   We really seem to have forgotten how to put a team to the sword. Like you, I am concerned that winning by a single goal isn't sustainable. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Birmingham - Saturday 1230
51 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Score early and the 3,000 away fans will make them even more jittery. 

Hope you’re right but there’s been a bit of a backlash up there amongst their fans over the abuse dished out to Rooney, it could have a galvanising effect. Away fans usually dominate the atmosphere at St Mary’s and being a lunchtime kick-off our lot will likely be more subdued, could give them an edge.

No fuck it, we should be turning these over.

• Like 2

So if it's a boring 0-0 draw I presume the chant will be "They're getting sacked in the morning" by both sets of fans?

With the early kick off I'm thinking if we win to go for a few drinks afterwards before getting the train. If we lose I won't bother and travel home sober and grumpy!

2 hours ago, John B said:

I would have thought most people would think we were contenders 21 points and not playing consistently well says so

I admire your optimism, but our respective points tallies and performances give me zero confidence that we'll catch Ipswich or Leicester. 

• Like 1

Would love to see us go at Birmingham from the start. Would love to see signs that this system can be successful and lead to us smashing someone. 

Unfortunately I assume it will be another pedestrian affair with us knocking it around between midfield and defence like it’s a training game. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I had read that Rooney wanted to implement a posession based philosophy. He's not had long, but hopefully enough that we'll outclass them on those points, by virtue of being further along The Process. Where they revert to the style they had, we'll have more problems with. Hopefully they will be disjointed enough, and resenting their old manager getting sacked, for this one to be comfortable win. One for Smallbone and a couple from AA.

Surely the whole point of playing football is to have possession )of the bal). without it how do you score?

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 Birmingham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic