Saints 3-1 Birmingham - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

At last some sparkling football created by pass and move, play between the lines, players coming short - that half proves we can do it. We were so much more front footed, getting on the half turn. There were a few longer balls and quicker balls fizzed to feet. Pleasure to watch. More of the same please.

• Like 1

Decent so far, no more than that.  If we come out second half and add to it, should be a good result, however we always have a 'brainfart from anybody' not far away, which could let them back in.   Priorities for second half, clean sheet, more goals.

Note: The following summary doe snot take into account Martin;'s half time team talk, and our ability to chuck away points. 🙂

We showed a bit of everything in that first half. A very comfortable, accomplished performance.

Right from the start, we were prepared to take the longer passes, with our players in good spaces to minimise the risk. Sule caused them problems down the left. When they closed up on that, KWP had loads down the right. We favoured the flanks for much of the half for direct attacks, but AA nearly made it three before the break when the space there presented itself. We had spells where we implemented Death By A Thousand Passes, as they were not coming out to us. So, we showed patience there.

We moved it at a decent pace for a lot of of the half, and it makes such a difference. We weren't troubled much. One runner where it hit off the back of their leg, that could have led to a chip over Baz. Baz jumping into the back of one of their players, possibly a pen. The ball had been headed out, possibly making it not one.

Just have to be sure we play with the same awareness and pace in the second, and not drift into passing it aorund with no intention of an end product.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Great to hear Pahars come back and address SMS. He still loves the club and has indicated his support of RM. Also said that we need to be patient. He’s getting a lovely reception from the crowd.

Good to hear, didn't realise he was going to be there. 

3 minutes ago, Micky said:

Decent so far, no more than that.  If we come out second half and add to it, should be a good result, however we always have a 'brainfart from anybody' not far away, which could let them back in.   Priorities for second half, clean sheet, more goals.

Much better than decent for me. Play like that and we'll hammer some teams especially if Stewart gets fit and firing. Very easy on the eye today.

Edited by saintant

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Bree has been twice as good as Manning…really good game!

Just gives the back four greater balance and there's a composure about his passing and movement.    Manning has a good left foot but Bree more all round skills and athleticism.     Playing S. Armstrong, Alcaraz, Sulemana  has improved our attacking threat along with KWP's  licence to get forward.   

• Like 3

great half, good fast passing interchanged with balls over the top to release sulemana and KWP on the wings.

Only minor comments I'd have is compare downes v smallbone for intensity (imagine if we had 2 downes), also Stuey seems to think he is sulemana for overplaying and A armstrong is allergic to the near post.

But who the fuck is this irish commentator ? ex brum or a mate of rooneys ?

Just now, Convict Colony said:

great half, good fast passing interchanged with balls over the top to release sulemana and KWP on the wings.

Only minor comments I'd have is compare downes v smallbone for intensity (imagine if we had 2 downes), also Stuey seems to think he is sulemana for overplaying and A armstrong is allergic to the near post.

I wonder when Stewart is ready to play whether Martin will consider playing Alcaraz in Smallbone's spot.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Bit unfair on Smallbone who has knitted everything together today and has a great understanding with KWP.

• Like 1

Just now, austsaint said:

I wonder when Stewart is ready to play whether Martin will consider playing Alcaraz in Smallbone's spot.  

Smallbone puts in a massive amount of running, and is expected to pick up a lot of roles in the team. Some of the more attacking one, Alcaraz is better at. But he'd be wasted, and possibly not as ogood at a lot of the more defensive, link up and heavy lifitng ones. It will be interesting to see how Martin goes with it.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Much better than decent for me. Play like that and we'll hammer some teams especially if Stewart gets fir and firing. Very easy on the eye today.

We're playing 'Wayne Rooney's Birmingham' who are in disarray, if VAR was in use we could be all square at one all.  So decent for now, let's see how the second half lands out. 

1 minute ago, saintant said:

Bit unfair on Smallbone who has knitted everything together today and has a great understanding with KWP.

true, but i just get the sense we could get more from that position potentially, but hey I'm not he man in the arena and he's been scoring goals which is good.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 Birmingham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic