Saints 3-1 Birmingham - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

THB played the best best ive seen him.

Bree was a solid confidence inspiring LB who looked tighter to his player than manning who tends to stand off them a bit more. 
Jan and JWP = classy performances. 
AA deserved his goal. Worked his socks off as usual. 
KS looked good in parts. Bit unlucky with the run of the ball. Decision making still got a high ceiling. 
Stu & Charlie decent perf.s and delighted my bet tip came good 😎- but Charlie especially got ragged later on . Both v popular players, deservedly so. 
Will and Flynn did what they do very well again. 
Baz- gutted he didn’t score but maybe next week..Aribo- he’s a mountain! 

overall I felt it was a good performance though we again showed our mental stamina is not quite there yet. Brum not a good team but we did what we needed to do. RM subs did the trick so fair do’s to him. 
RM: three fist pumps yes I liked them! 
Marian Pahars : excellent performance covered every blade of grass. A bona fide Saints hero. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Excellent win, needed that to settle things down a little.

In the end it was a formula win against a weak side. However that has eluded us so far this season, so good to see.

Bree had a good game again and that allows Sulemana space and time to torment their defence.

Very impressed with Downes, very surprised WHU let him go.

I thought Bazumu did very well. Great distribution and dominated his area more. One clanger where he over committed. VAR would have been uncomfortable.

All round good day.

• Like 1

I hope this is the last we hear of ‘Wayne Rooney’s Birmingham ‘. We could easily have been three or even four up at half time but that’s football. Overall a very good performance all round. I think we have found our left back replacement. Bree was excellent and took no prisoners. Long may it continue. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Bree was a solid confidence inspiring LB who looked tighter to his player than manning who tends to stand off them a bit more. 
Jan and JWP = classy performances. 
AA deserved his goal. Worked his socks off as usual. 
KS looked good in parts. Bit unlucky with the run of the ball. Decision making still got a high ceiling. 
Stu & Charlie decent perf.s and delighted my bet tip came good 😎- but Charlie especially got ragged later on . Both v popular players, deservedly so. 
Will and Flynn did what they do very well again. 
Baz- gutted he didn’t score but maybe next week..Aribo- he’s a mountain! 

overall I felt it was a good performance though we again showed our mental stamina is not quite there yet. Brum not a good team but we did what we needed to do. RM subs did the trick so fair do’s to him. 
RM: three fist pumps yes I liked them! 
Marian Pahars : excellent performance covered every blade of grass. A bona fide Saints hero. 

Hasn't he left 🤣🤣but echo the sentiments 

Edited by Convict Colony

It's even more impressive the disappearing act some the saintsweb dementors have done since the managers subs created that 3rd goal.

I think the players really will of learned from that if they play how the manager wants they will get goals, if they start being safe they usually mess it up and goals happen.

• Like 4

Very poor first half performance by Birmingham; they did't get very close to us at all and were so passive and let us play our game and we strolled to a simple 2-0 lead. Shit way to play for a new manager.

Then the second half they started playing properly and we had to work to regain composure. Our players weren't expecting it, but stood up to it, especially when they pulled a goal back. KWPs touch for their goal was too overconfident.

Good win, but that's as much down to how poor Birmingham were to as how good we were. And another non-clean sheet.

Still 3 points and more hours playing Martins way. That'll do for me.

• Like 3

Excellent first half performance. Really frustrating that we dropped off a bit in the second half though.  Was a bit uncomfortable for a while.  Subs give us a bit of energy.  Stu and Sulemana looked dead on their feet.

Some really good performances though, too many to mention.  Charles did well for our third actually playing on the half turn and advancing the ball.  I think he is going to be a decent player.

• Like 2

A mostly comfortable performance and just a slight wobble there for a bit. Not a bad month all in all.

Eleven points every 5 games over the rest of the season should get Saints more than 90 points. I'm starting to feel a tinge of optimism.

• Like 1

Great first half, football was high tempo and good to watch. Second half started sluggish. Sucker punched and thought here we go again. Didn’t really get back into it until the dying moments but this Saints side are starting to show some real grit towards the end of games. Didn’t agree with Sulemana coming off at the time, really wanted him to get his goal. Overall, an enjoyable watch. Well done again Saints & RM.

We dream on!

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Excellent first half performance. Really frustrating that we dropped off a bit in the second half though.  Was a bit uncomfortable for a while.  Subs give us a bit of energy.  Stu and Sulemana looked dead on their feet.

Some really good performances though, too many to mention.  Charles did well for our third actually playing on the half turn and advancing the ball.  I think he is going to be a decent player.

Yep, he was poor at Preston but let's not forget he hasn't played many senior games at all. They can't all turn out like Lavia but I think he will end up being pretty decent. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Yep, he was poor at Preston but let's not forget he hasn't played many senior games at all. They can't all turn out like Lavia but I think he will end up being pretty decent. 

Who still hasn't played a minute yet for Chelsea.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Amazing how players who have been disrespected by judges on here have proved themselves. So pleased to see them getting a little praise.

Well done to Downes , Bree and Aribo. 

Bree has had a decent two games and Aribo did alright for 20 minutes today. Not quite sure that’s proven anything to be honest, they both need to do it over a much longer period. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 1

Downes was top drawer today. I watched him all second half. He constantly stamped out turnovers in midfield, dominated his opposite number, giving the defence the cover it has needed. On top of that, every pass he made was successful, every single one.

Edited by southamptonfc
  • Like 9

I’ve been a critic of RM. But hats off - that was really good.

Some faster passing and way better down the wings.

A nervy 25 minutes after they scored - made it unnecessary hard for ourselves. But that’s a fan speaking - to a neutral that surely looked like a very comfortable A, B, C victory.

Downes and KWP really good.

Also decent sub performance by Aribo.

Surprised we didn’t use Adams at all, but hey ho.

• Like 3

Much improved. Moved the ball around quicker, with a bit more purpose. A little propensity to revert to type but we snapped out of it quicker today.

Unclear how Bednarek won MOTM, because his partner was much better and scored. And both of them weren't a patch on KWP. 

Good performance from Sulamana and just better all round from all concerned. Armstrong made the midfield tick and Smallbone was industrious. 

Good subs as well. 

Still a little meh at times when pushing up the pitch would have been preferred. 

Brum - not sure what they're doing employing Rooney when they had started the season well.

That was a really good performance today, we went for the throats from the off. They're a pretty inept side to be fair, but you have to beat what's in front of you. 

Stu Armstrong seems to be coming out of his shell again, he picked up some great positions in between the lines in the first half and some of his through balls were excellent. Sulemana is just too quick for anyone at this level, probably in the PL too - we need to make sure we maximise him this season as he almost certainly won't be here next year.

CB are quietly going about their job, I like the partnership THB and Bednarek have formed - THB for me is the sort of CB you don't notice because he does everything without a fuss, such a coup to get him.

Bit of a routine win really. Yeah, there was a little shaky spell but Martin's subs helped stabilise the game (as I thought Charly, in the 2nd half, was an absolute mess) - so credit to Martin for making the right calls there.

There are some right morons at the stadium this year though - as soon as one of our player misplaces a pass, all you heard was ''Martin out'' ''get the fuck out of our club'' - seriously, some of these fans should hear themselves. Proper wallies.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Great performance to be honest ...still think we are a striker(hopefully Ross Stewart)  and a scoring winger(Free Nathan Tella!) away from being in the automatic positions !  Thats also if Leicester and Ipswich fuck up !

Agree with you on the striker comment.
We had enough chances to bury Birmingham and need someone who can cause problems with his head in the box.
Hope Stewart can get fit soon and add that ingredient up front.

• Like 2

Cracking win grommitt from the Saints today apart from KWPs brain fart in the 2nd half and the 10 minutes of the Benny Hill Show that followed when we could have conceded another.

I thought Downes was superb in midfield today and KWP (brain fart aside) was different gravy to everyone else on the pitch. Taylor Harwood Bellis has Future Saints Captain written all over him and even Bree looked very assured at left back.

Funniest moment of the day was the Northam End booing Bazunu for not going up for the corner at the end.

It just remains for me to thank Birmingham for kindly appointing a moron as their new manager.

• Like 3

We should have won that 4-1 today at least, and it would have been deserved. Best I’ve seen from a Martin side first half, and made Brum look second best at everything. Start of second half some concern we had reverted to type with a bit of slack / hospital passing and loose tracking and marking. Once we got the third we were well in control and should have got that fourth goal at the death. KWP was nailed on mom for me and looks such different class it’s striking. Downes too, every inch the premier league player and not one misplaced pass. Honourable mentions to Bednarek and Bree. Bree is a much better full back than Manning. Thought that Adam Armstrong looked most off the pace and a bit of a spare part in the middle. If we can keep momentum and stay in form a fit Ross Stewart may have a field day, a target man is the one puzzle piece we are clearly lacking. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

It's even more impressive the disappearing act some the saintsweb dementors have done since the managers subs created that 3rd goal.

I think the players really will of learned from that if they play how the manager wants they will get goals, if they start being safe they usually mess it up and goals happen.

It’s oddly quiet in general on here for a match thread..

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sussex_saint said:

Bednerak has been great this season. I get why he doesn’t get praise after those comments he made but without him I think we would definitely notice a difference.

Agree, much more assured and THB and him are building a decent understanding. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

I’ve been a critic of RM. But hats off - that was really good.

Some faster passing and way better down the wings.

A nervy 25 minutes after they scored - made it unnecessary hard for ourselves. But that’s a fan speaking - to a neutral that surely looked like a very comfortable A, B, C victory.

Downes and KWP really good.

Also decent sub performance by Aribo.

Surprised we didn’t use Adams at all, but hey ho.

Ditto. Not been a fan of RM, but we were good today, really good. He picked the right team, and managed the game well. A good day. 

• Like 1

We played really well in the first half. The concentration levels were good. The only time we got ourselves into trouble when the concentration lapsed now and then especially in the second half and we gave the ball away. That high level of concentration is imperative. I think now and then in the first half and more in the second half a few were complacent because of the dominant possession and passed without looking. A bit of tiredness in the second half too. Three good goals, I'll take that all day long.

42 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

We should have won that 4-1 today at least, and it would have been deserved. Best I’ve seen from a Martin side first half, and made Brum look second best at everything. Start of second half some concern we had reverted to type with a bit of slack / hospital passing and loose tracking and marking. Once we got the third we were well in control and should have got that fourth goal at the death. KWP was nailed on mom for me and looks such different class it’s striking. Downes too, every inch the premier league player and not one misplaced pass. Honourable mentions to Bednarek and Bree. Bree is a much better full back than Manning. Thought that Adam Armstrong looked most off the pace and a bit of a spare part in the middle. If we can keep momentum and stay in form a fit Ross Stewart may have a field day, a target man is the one puzzle piece we are clearly lacking. 

Bit harsh on AA. He worked his socks off, scored one, assisted one and could have had a couple more.

• Like 1

First half was as complete a performance you could get bar that 3rd goal.

I hated Bednarek last season but he has fully redeemed himself this year with his performances so far.

Bree and Flyn were great today too.

Well done to the manager good subs today I’m not a fan of Fraser as thought he would hold back Sam AA but last couple of games he has come on and done good job good cross and good attacking from Edozie header to Arma who could have had hat trick today.