Saints 1-0 Bristol City - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

If Venables was a crook, then every single manager in that era was a crook as well.

He was a brilliant coach and manager.

Don’t want to clutter the pre-match thread but can’t agree with you.

I don’t recall any other managers being told by a Judge that their “evidence is unreliable” 

Can only think of one manager who might come close,as a London wideboy.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Badger said:

Don’t want to clutter the pre-match thread but can’t agree with you.

I don’t recall any other managers being told by a Judge that their “evidence is unreliable” 

Can only think of one manager who might come close,as a London wideboy.

Didn't he buy Portsmouth for £1 ? 

8 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Christ on a bike, 90 mins of two teams passing around endlessly and aimlessly  in their own halves, waiting for the opportunity.  

One of my favourite games was like that. Man City under Eriksson. Goalless at full time, but the tension! Can't wait for this one! 🙂

But I reckon it'll be a 2-0 win to us.

Just listened to the full press conference on YouTube for this game. Most interesting was an update on Jack Stephens. Martin speaks so highly of him and gives the impression Jack feels ready to play himself but he likely won’t be considered until after this week. 

That would mean if we do rotate players like we did at Preston, we might see Holgate again. The way Martin speaks of Jack was like he is our first choice CB but I wouldn’t break up the Bednarek and THB pairing personally.

I think tonight will be a competitive game but we should edge it. 2-1 Saints.

49 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Just listened to the full press conference on YouTube for this game. Most interesting was an update on Jack Stephens. Martin speaks so highly of him and gives the impression Jack feels ready to play himself but he likely won’t be considered until after this week. 

That would mean if we do rotate players like we did at Preston, we might see Holgate again. The way Martin speaks of Jack was like he is our first choice CB but I wouldn’t break up the Bednarek and THB pairing personally.

I’ve always felt Stephen’s is the better player but like you I wouldn’t be keen to break up the centre backs if only he could fill the glaring hole at left back!

hoping for a result but not hopeful, probably another 90 minutes of tippy tappy football and either concede or score in injury time to end up with a draw.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Whilst we are looking pretty solid at the back I think it would be madness to break up the CB partnership. Unless either of them are carrying niggles, most youngish CBs should be able to play 3 games in a week. 

• Like 2

On 28/11/2023 at 13:15, Kenilworthy said:

How many of them used non-existent pubs as collateral for business loans? How many were banned in the High Court from holding company directorships for 7 years?

He may have had his `faults', but Venables bought the skates for a quid, took over half a million out of the club during his 11 month tenure, and at his departure they were bottom of Div 1 and close to bankruptcy. 

• Like 1

I just looked back and they beat us home and away both in the 2008/9 season (helping to send us down) and slightly surprisingly, in the 2011/12 season too (preventing us winning the league).

I only recall the away game in 2009, which we lost 2-0. We are insipid that day. I distinctly remember lambasting a nineteen year old Morgan Schneiderlin, who was pitiful, for being a massive pussy. I am pretty sure I wrote him off, suggesting that he didn't have enough fight in him to success in English football. You live and learn.

I know little about the current City side, but ti a degree, our late goals and the points that have come with them gives us a slightly flattering league position, so with that in mind, we may be very evenly matched tonight. Thus, I will go for 0-0 and hope I am as accurate as my 2009 prediction. COYR.  

5 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

I see the game is available on the red button tonight via Sky. Has anyone worked out if/how you can watch it via now TV when its on the red button ? Thanks 

Doesn't work on all NOW platforms (ie a phone) but if you have a Roku box etc it should be there.

Go to the football section and keep scrolling down and down and down and down.

Buried away underneath reruns of Premier league games from three weeks ago.

• Like 1

Just now, SaintNewForest said:

Probably picked up his annual winter injury, and we won't see him again now till the Spring. 

Last year was the same and so was the season before.

Maybe. I'm hoping he's being wrapped in cotton wool until someone takes his salary off our books in January 🤞

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Bristol City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic