Saints 1-0 Bristol City - Match Thread

Lighthouse

A friend is a city fan and I randomly went with him to their 0-0 vs QPR. Dreadful game but they looked very sound defensively. Their new manager just picked up his first win so their tails will be up. I’m expecting them to sit back and hit us on the break. Sadly think this will be similar to Rotherham / Huddersfield - we’re going to need to be a bit more inventive if we want a comfortable win.

• Like 1

The thing is, aren't most teams going to set up with a defensive mindset against us this season? If breaking teams down is something we struggle with and will continue to struggle with, then we either need to come up with solutions quick or just accept mediocrity this season.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'm not sure Martin will pick Sulemena after his terrible attitude yesterday.

I mean, I'd have attitude if I thought I was any good and got subbed less than 10 mins into the second half.  Not sure sitting him on the bench will help in any way.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

I mean, I'd have attitude if I thought I was any good and got subbed less than 10 mins into the second half.  Not sure sitting him on the bench will help in any way.

He had just been booked and was trying to dribble past players outside his own box and giving the ball away. It's alright thinking you're good, but he isn't exactly banging in goals and making assists like someone with his supposed ability should be. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Hodgey said:

A friend is a city fan and I randomly went with him to their 0-0 vs QPR. Dreadful game but they looked very sound defensively. Their new manager just picked up his first win so their tails will be up. I’m expecting them to sit back and hit us on the break. Sadly think this will be similar to Rotherham / Huddersfield - we’re going to need to be a bit more inventive if we want a comfortable win.

Not really Liam Manning's style. Manning favours a high possession, high pressing style of football. But maybe its too soon to have changed City from Pearson's style.

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

He had just been booked and was trying to dribble past players outside his own box and giving the ball away. It's alright thinking you're good, but he isn't exactly banging in goals and making assists like someone with his supposed ability should be. 

I think this was critical in the timing of his substitution. He was playing himself and us into trouble, and probably couldn't be relied upon not to make another lunging or reckless tackle.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, waylander said:

Their away wins have all been against lower table sides. They don't score many but they don't conceds many either.

Tough to break down, going to have to be patient. 1-0

Were a bogey team last time down, think they were the only side to do the double over us.

3 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

We could have Haarland up front but without service, quick and decisive play we won’t create much for him

Stewart didn't do a lot when he came on yesterday. Would like to see him start and then come off after 60 minutes rather than do a cameo at the end, but so far he's only done two 10/15 minute sub roles so not too sure he's ready for a start. And more the point, how are we going to get the ball to him? Like it's been said, Haarland would look bang average up front in out team.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Were a bogey team last time down, think they were the only side to do the double over us.

Leicester too, David fucking Nugent.

Wasn't it Bristol who ended our long winning run at SMS and meant we fell just short of a whole calendar year?

Some one alluded to this being potentially the start of a bleak period for us, after the dropped points at Huddersfield. I tend to agree and think we will lose or draw this one and same again on Saturday for Cardiff's visit. Sorry, but I think this will be our season. Good runs, followed by blips and a point per game ratio for a few games. Until RM accepts we need to be more incisive and put teams to the sword (which he won't do enough), this will be our season I'm sorry to say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

Leicester too, David fucking Nugent.

Wasn't it Bristol who ended our long winning run at SMS and meant we fell just short of a whole calendar year?

City beat us on about the 29th December, which stopped us from going the whole of 2011 unbeaten at home. I seem to remember the home winning run was ended by a 2-2 draw with Blackpool a month or two before.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Repeat after me ...

spacer.png

Of course there is! Doesn't mean you lose every time but certain teams just have that affect. Everton away , any game v Rotherham for example. 

I'm hoping those stats show law of averages we are "due a win" against Bristol City. 

Games against them always seem to have a lively atmosphere, they've sold out full away bit few weeks ago so should be good crowd in under the lights. 

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

City beat us on about the 29th December, which stopped us from going the whole of 2011 unbeaten at home. I seem to remember the home winning run was ended by a 2-2 draw with Blackpool a month or two before.

Ahhh yes that's the one cheers.

That Blackpool match is the one Bialkowski dropped a howler and never really recovered if my memory isn't failing me.

56 minutes ago, JRM said:

Of course there is! Doesn't mean you lose every time but certain teams just have that affect. Everton away , any game v Rotherham for example. 

I'm hoping those stats show law of averages we are "due a win" against Bristol City. 

Games against them always seem to have a lively atmosphere, they've sold out full away bit few weeks ago so should be good crowd in under the lights. 

Oh I agree, and even more satisfying when we break the run, but the players can't afford to have that mindset.

Going to this one, so hoping for a convincing win. 2-0 or more.

In the real world we’ll struggle to break them down and not score enough goals, lose the plot shortly after coming out at half-time and gift them a draw or a win by faffing about too much across the backline or in midfield. Rinse/repeat.

Don't know much about Bristol City, results seem inconsistent, Pearson had them very well organised defensively (they've only conceded 18 goals in 17 games compared to us conceding 27 in the same time). 

However Pearson has been sacked and replaced by Liam Manning who had been doing an excellent job at Oxford with quite different tactics. 

Manning sounds similar to our Russ, favouring a possession style of play, having worked for City football group and also having a spell managing MK Dons. 

11 hours ago, Fraser Spinney said:

Think Martin will rotate the side after Saturday and can see Alcaraz coming in. Who do you think should start?

https://www.southamptonfc.news/match-coverage/alcaraz-returns-25-year-old-dropped-southampton-predicted-xi-v-bristol-city/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Watching the coverage of West Brom v Ipswich the other night they were talking about the intense fixture list between now and 1st January , another 9 games to go in a short period of time where injuries and suspensions can quickly change things and the need to have squad players ready to come in, in theory as one of the wealthier clubs in the division that should help us rotate without significantly weakening the side but it never seems to quite work like that. 

Is it 5 bookings in first 19 games = 1 match ban? We must have a few close to that. 

Looking at fixtures Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds will win on Wednesday night so we need the 3 points just to keep up. 

41 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

The Loch Ness Drogba and Adam A are going to tear the carrot sucking cunts a new asshole.

Everything clicks into gear, we don’t regress to tippy tappy and fucking smash them 3-0.

What has been the success rate with your insightful predictions? I can't be arsed to look it up but we haven't torn many a new one so far have we.

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Don't know much about Bristol City, results seem inconsistent, Pearson had them very well organised defensively (they've only conceded 18 goals in 17 games compared to us conceding 27 in the same time). 

However Pearson has been sacked and replaced by Liam Manning who had been doing an excellent job at Oxford with quite different tactics. 

Manning sounds similar to our Russ, favouring a possession style of play, having worked for City football group and also having a spell managing MK Dons. 

Christ on a bike, 90 mins of two teams passing around endlessly and aimlessly  in their own halves, waiting for the opportunity.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

If Venables was a crook, then every single manager in that era was a crook as well.

He was a brilliant coach and manager.

How many of them used non-existent pubs as collateral for business loans? How many were banned in the High Court from holding company directorships for 7 years?

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-0 Bristol City - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic