Sam Edozie

ally_uk

He's doing what we expected Sulemana to, beating the full back and putting in dangerous crosses and cut backs.

When we isolate him against the full back he beats him more often than not. If teams have to double up against him it gives more space to someone like Stu Armstrong inside.

He's also been more defensively minded the last few games, being in slightly better positions to close off space when the opposition play diagonals which is a decent tactic against us because the full backs tend to defend quite narrowly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

How he was kept out the team for fucking Sulemana is a mystery. 

Quality player.

It was the other way Round.
Sam started the season whilst KS was still unfit. But , apart from a few glimpses of skill was a bit underwhelming though obviously a talent.
He then appeared to lose his man for two separate break away goals we conceded, was criticised and his confidence dipped.

Enter KS. Who started brightly but also underwhelmed. KS Got injured again and now Sam has grabbed his second chance with both hands and will be very hard to dislodge from starting berth. Though frasers form is so good who knows! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

How he was kept out the team for fucking Sulemana is a mystery. 

Quality player.

I don’t get why people keep doing this at the moment ..why the need to scapegoat players on a 16 match unbeaten run ??

It wasn’t long ago Fraser was getting stick too.. 

all three of edozie sulamana and Fraser are amazing options  to have in this league all offering slightly differant skill sets.. Fraser seems to have the best shooting and end product, edozie beats his man with dancing feet but sulemana is easily the most explosive out of the three - but give it time and the assists and goals will come I’m sure when back from injury..

i hope we keep all 3 even in the premiership if we get there 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

& scores goals!

I absolutely expected Sulemana to score goals in this division.

Sulemena clearly has an attitude issue and I'd imagine he expected to be sold in the summer. Edozie and Fraser both want to be here and you can tell. 

46 minutes ago, Block41 Saint said:

Samuel, Samuel Edozie runs down the down the wing for me. 

Easily enough for people to get onto. Doesn't mention Pompey so will probably never kick off. 

Have heard Sam Edozie baby a few times recently so that's the song which is getting recycled for him.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I've yet to see any evidence of this what so ever?

Yeah, I agree I haven't seen him sulking. But I do think he thinks he's better than he is. The championship can be the making of creative players (look at lallana, grealish, benrahama etc in recent years) - but they've got to embrace it to get the most of it. Whereas I do think sulemana does feel its beneath him and that he won't be here for long (probably true). 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Yeah, I agree I haven't seen him sulking. But I do think he thinks he's better than he is. The championship can be the making of creative players (look at lallana, grealish, benrahama etc in recent years) - but they've got to embrace it to get the most of it. Whereas I do think sulemana does feel its beneath him and that he won't be here for long (probably true). 

He probably does think that but that doesn't equate to sulking. And he probably did want a move away but again, haven't seen any evidence that he downed tools or threw his toys out the pram.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

I don’t understand why Sulemana is rated so highly by fans. He has done nothing in his time here except sulk. 

Edozie miles better

Both of these statements are untrue. Easy to rate the one currently playing well, just like everyone did when Sulemana started well. Wingers are naturally inconsistent and can go hot and cold. No difference here. Enjoy both whilst we have them and the options. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I've yet to see any evidence of this what so ever?

Have you tried, I dunno, watching a game when he plays? He saunters about thinking he’s too good for the club whilst producing absolutely fuck all. 

In fairness he was actually tracking back and working hard in the last couple of games before his injury. But in general he looks like he couldn’t care less about playing for us IMO 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Have you tried, I dunno, watching a game when he plays? He saunters about thinking he’s too good for the club whilst producing absolutely fuck all. 

In fairness he was actually tracking back and working hard in the last couple of games before his injury. But in general he looks like he couldn’t care less about playing for us IMO 

I think he can’t use his left foot. I may be wrong and he may be saving it for a special occasion.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Osvaldorama said:

His body language is dreadful. I genuinely think he has the potential to be a top, top player but he isn't anywhere near as good as he thinks he is at this moment in time. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Like Alcaraz?

On 27/12/2023 at 21:52, Osvaldorama said:

I don’t understand why Sulemana is rated so highly by fans. He has done nothing in his time here except sulk. 

Edozie miles better

Because of the Liverpool goals, the training goals we saw on the club website, and the fact he holds the record for fastest player at the recent World Cup. 
In the Championship this should equal prolific, and yet somehow it hasn’t… yet. 
Looking forward to him coming back and crossing to more confident & trusting teammates - would be a shame if he moved on before we had seen the best of him.

I'm in the Sam camp. Physically he's not as strong as Sulemana, but when Sam has the ball, there's the feeling that's something positive is going to happen - and that's not just in the last couple of games. He also has a rough idea where the goal is. Contrast that to Sule who flatters to deceive. His control is rank, his crossing is rank and he can't shoot. 

I enjoy watch him close up first half from block41 when defenders still fresh and some think they have started to work out how he thinks and his positioning a lot better. He does seem to have the beating of most his rb’s all the same! And he only needs do it once successfully for it to be a good chance or a goal. Give him the ball wide 4 times in a match and we should get at least one good chance out of it, if not a goal. I’m sure there’s a ratio evident from matches played but the gist is : if in doubt give him the ball! 

Down side of course is if we give it Sam and he’s isolated then tries something & loses possession we are open to counterattack. Hence we tend to slowly press upfield gaining territory in rugby talk - then give it to him.
KS for example would love the ball way faster. And thets possibly why he seems to look frustrated a lot of the time. And not deliver. 

Edited by gio1saints

As a winger I don't think I've seen many players with the ability to beat their man that he has. The thing that's been missing for him has been end product. This season he has added end product. If he keeps developing then we're heading into Lavia territory of accepting that we should enjoy him for as long as we can until someone drops a ton of cash on him.

Of our other wingers

- Sulemana has blistering pace but limited end product.

- Fraser is incredibly direct so perfect for the end of games or when we're looking to play fast on the break

- Amo-Ameyaw has probably more skill and potential overall but needs a chance to grow into it.

• Like 2

That tackle he made tracking back last night was vital. Another thing he's added to his game this season is getting stuck in and winning the ball back. He used to just bounce off other players or get shrugged aside. Seeing him win the ball cleanly more and more.

• Like 4

On 29/12/2023 at 01:47, Osvaldorama said:

Do you even watch games? 

Alcaraz clearly puts 100% into every game even when it’s going badly. What a ludicrous comparison 

Not denying that. But he's nowhere near the finished product. Not as great as everyone makes him out to be. 

On 30/12/2023 at 10:27, coalman said:

That tackle he made tracking back last night was vital. Another thing he's added to his game this season is getting stuck in and winning the ball back. He used to just bounce off other players or get shrugged aside. Seeing him win the ball cleanly more and more.

Excellent tracking back by Edozie. Hadn’t realised it was him at the match, but seeing it in highlights realised how far he’d come to make the tackle in.

Vast improvement on the limp running back against Sunderland on their first goal earlier in the season.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Not denying that. But he's nowhere near the finished product. Not as great as everyone makes him out to be. 

He has a lot to learn, but his dedication and hard work is there for all to see. He has a fantastic shot & football brain. I think he could develop into a truly fantastic footballer. 

Sulemana has some of the physical attributes but I am not sure he has the mentality. I agree with someone above that it will be good to see him in a more confident / winning team. But truthfully I don’t think he wants to be here at all from his body language. 

• Like 2

Hoping his injury isn’t serious, having been in great form for us. If he is out for a period, suddenly we only have Fraser as a proper winger, with SAA in reserve and Arma playing wide at the moment. You can see why we are interested in bringing in a RW player.

On 30/12/2023 at 18:57, Bad Wolf said:

Alcaraz doesn't suit the way in which we're asking him to play. 

He'd absolutely destroy this leauge for a team that plays a bit faster on the counter attack. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Hoping his injury isn’t serious, having been in great form for us. If he is out for a period, suddenly we only have Fraser as a proper winger, with SAA in reserve and Arma playing wide at the moment. You can see why we are interested in bringing in a RW player.

Thought I got a glimpse of him wearing one of those surgical boots things halfway through the second half.  Probably just a precaution until they can get it Xrayed.  

1 hour ago, saint francis said:

Thought I got a glimpse of him wearing one of those surgical boots things halfway through the second half.  Probably just a precaution until they can get it Xrayed.  

I saw this too, protective boot and on crutches. Probably not a good sign but could just be a precaution. I’m sure we will find out over the weekend.

4 hours ago, goodymatt said:

I saw this too, protective boot and on crutches. Probably not a good sign but could just be a precaution. I’m sure we will find out over the weekend.

Looks bad in this picture 

20240102_173220.jpg.afdbb56f9099729ed240be334c828e49.jpg

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Russell Martin says Sam Edozie is out until end of Jan, perhaps even start of Feb

Not as bad as I'd imagined - here's hoping... That tackle was a fucking outrage.

On 02/01/2024 at 11:36, JRM said:

watching that at full speed, i am ok with just a yellow. Yeah, it looks bad, but i see no intent. To me he was clearly extending his leg to block the ball - Edozie just too quick.