FA Cup 5th Round

6 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I’ve never seen this before, just fast forward to 8:45, that’s limbs for ya!

We had all of the blocks that night that we’ve currently got on sale at the moment, so would have had around 4,000 there in 2017.

Edit: and those *cough* ‘scousers’ do like a half-and-half scarf at Anfield

Thanks, enjoyed watching that away end again. Does make it tempting to go  back up for this one, be part of what looks set to be a massive following.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

I don’t why all this apathy?

it’s the cup FFS.

would take it over promotion all day long. 
How good were Burnley last season and look at them now. Yeah, can’t wait! 

I am loving the championship, and could easily take another season like this. Keep the team together and storm the league. I know it does not work like this, but like you say it will be back to losing most weeks and avoiding MOTD on a Saturday night! It is a dilemma, but we will not be like this every season if we stayed in the championship and we would end up just like all the other ex premier league clubs. So I suppose we better get back up there. 

I’m going as I want to take my boy and nephew to Anfield, so have my tickets. I’m not looking forward to it that much, but they will love it. The best for me at Anfield was 2-3 win in the league when David Hurst played for us, what was the 97/98? Seen us get completely thumped a couple times at think it was 6 or 7-1 😦 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

If, and this is a very, VERY HUGE 'if', we beat Liverpool, would it go down as the biggest result in our history? Perhaps bar the Cup final against United in '76? 

Possibly- can’t think of another one off the top of my head.

21 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Possibly- can’t think of another one off the top of my head.

The Cup Final win was a middle of the table 2nd Division (Ie now Championship team) versus a very decent Man Utd (Division ! team)
There were decent odds available for Man Utd to win 6-0.

Other 'big' Cup results were in the 1960's ie Third Division Saints winning 5-1 at 1st Division Man City and my favourite, mid table 2nd Division Saints beating 1st Division 5-0 in a second replay at White Hart Lane in front of an estimated 30,000 Saints fans after a 1-1 draw at the City Ground and coming back from 3-0 down with 12 minutes left to play  in  the replay at The Dell to draw 3-3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

If, and this is a very, VERY HUGE 'if', we beat Liverpool, would it go down as the biggest result in our history? Perhaps bar the Cup final against United in '76? 

What do you mean 'perhaps' lol?

Surely there's no debate that the cup final win is the biggest result in our history. It's our only major trophy!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Genuinely cannot believe we're going to sell 5500 tickets for a Wednesday night game at Anfield when we've got about a billion games to play this month :lol:

The last chance to see Klopp in the flesh  and pay homage is probably the main factor. Appreciate greatness in what is a special and unique club and city.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

The last chance to see Klopp in the flesh  and pay homage is probably the main factor. Appreciate greatness in what is a special and unique club and city.

I don't know any Saints fan that gives a solitary shit about Jurgen Klopp.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, whelk said:

Anyone know if a Russ / Klopp half and half scarf will be available from merchants outside the stadium? 

Excellent numbers though all things considered. 

merlin_148742289_f5b017e2-fe3e-4f5c-bf82-f8419a934f8c-articleLarge.jpg.eb30cc1d41a36bfce717753803a5b156.jpg

Edited by JRM
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, whelk said:

Will be a great send off for us to give the big man who has done so much for premiership football

1 hour ago, kwsaint said:

I suspect we’ll get close to selling out the 5500 or so but won’t request any more tickets.

There was only around 300 tickets left last night, once they're gone that's the entire Anfield Road Lower. I think that was all we were ever getting, when they went on sale the club said it was an initial allocation of up to 5,500. By FA Cup rules we're entitled to more but that would mean Liverpool would have to give us a chunk of their new upper tier, I would imagine SFC, like some of our fans, thought we would probably not sell them all. And they had only a short space of time to commit to taking what we have, so no way would (or should) the club gamble on committing to thousands more now. Financially better for SFC to ensure all tickets are sold all round the ground as we just get a percentage of gate receipts anyway.

This will be a new Anfield record attendance ever in an FA Cup match (possibly even all competitions).

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

There was only around 300 tickets left last night, once they're gone that's the entire Anfield Road Lower. I think that was all we were ever getting, when they went on sale the club said it was an initial allocation of up to 5,500. By FA Cup rules we're entitled to more but that would mean Liverpool would have to give us a chunk of their new upper tier, I would imagine SFC, like some of our fans, thought we would probably not sell them all. And they had only a short space of time to commit to taking what we have, so no way would (or should) the club gamble on committing to thousands more now. Financially better for SFC to ensure all tickets are sold all round the ground as we just get a percentage of gate receipts anyway.

This will be a new Anfield record attendance ever in an FA Cup match (possibly even all competitions).

Good point, their new upper tier is fully open now, plus no need for segregation in the lower tier should ensure every seat is used, is it roughly 40% for each team after costs, with FA getting 20% that's what it used to be years ago. 

Looks like the ticket site is up to its old tricks again. Just went and brought 2 Birmingham tickets, and it’s happily allowing me in to buy more on the same numbers. I’ve no need to do it and wouldn’t anyway, but a lot of regular away travellers might miss out on this game who are a bit lower down the priority list as a result. 

13 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Looks like the ticket site is up to its old tricks again. Just went and brought 2 Birmingham tickets, and it’s happily allowing me in to buy more on the same numbers. I’ve no need to do it and wouldn’t anyway, but a lot of regular away travellers might miss out on this game who are a bit lower down the priority list as a result. 

Thanks for advertising that to loads of people...

On 09/02/2024 at 20:37, Noodles34 said:

I don’t why all this apathy?

it’s the cup FFS.

would take it over promotion all day long. 
How good were Burnley last season and look at them now. Yeah, can’t wait! 

If we don’t go up I think next year’s team will look a lot different to this year, I think it’s generally accepted  that this year’s set up is unsustainable for another season in the Championship….so next year instead of watching high flying Saints you’ll be watching a version of Stoke or some such.

Here’s another reason…to win the FA cup the prize this season  is £2,000,000. According to Deloittes promotion from the Championship to the Premier league is worth between £135,000,000 to £210,000,000 to the club.

You do the maths…

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Oldandtired said:

If we don’t go up I think next year’s team will look a lot different to this year, I think it’s generally accepted  that this year’s set up is unsustainable for another season in the Championship….so next year instead of watching high flying Saints you’ll be watching a version of Stoke or some such.

Here’s another reason…to win the FA cup the prize this season  is £2,000,000. According to Deloittes promotion from the Championship to the Premier league is worth between £135,000,000 to £210,000,000 to the club.

You do the maths…

How much of that money do you get? 

4 hours ago, Oldandtired said:

I think it’s generally accepted  that this year’s set up is unsustainable for another season in the Championship

Plenty on here were saying anyone who thinks we will bounce back this year is deluded. Doom merchants can’t even accept this great season without thinking fuck we will be shit in Championship next year

From my point of view I always struggled to get tickets to away games due to not having a season ticket and also ones I could get to (generally further North) clash with Gloucester Rugby matches. 
I will be totally honest and fully expected it to be much easier this season, but due to our incredible run of form I have only managed Coventry away so far.

Bought a ticket for myself and for my Dad. Only been to Anfield once before, to watch Liverpool v Sunderland with a friend in 2009. 
Looking forward to it as an experience I don’t generally get to have, regardless of the somewhat diluted atmosphere. 
Obviously the league should be our priority but sometimes it’s good to dream! 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Islandmale said:

This'll be a juicey tie, I think Saints will be more of a force than they imagine. I'll be waving the red flags that evening.

I think the Liverpool fans will be too...don't get caught up amongst them 🤨😄

On 13/02/2024 at 10:04, Oldandtired said:

You do the maths…

Really? That’s what it’s about for you ? How much the club make. 
And quite enjoying the championship mate to be honest. Would happily win the league and then say we’ll stay put. 
Not missing the prem at all to be honest. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Noodles34 said:

Really? That’s what it’s about for you ? How much the club make. 
And quite enjoying the championship mate to be honest. Would happily win the league and then say we’ll stay put. 
Not missing the prem at all to be honest. 

I’m enjoying it too because we have a team that makes it enjoyable. We have that team because atm we have the money to keep the team together. Whether that team would still be here if we don’t go up is open to debate. Whether you would enjoy watching what’s left after all the players with any talent or ambition have left is the point I was trying to make and, whether you like it or not, any club needs money….a lot of money.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

I’m enjoying it too because we have a team that makes it enjoyable. We have that team because atm we have the money to keep the team together. Whether that team would still be here if we don’t go up is open to debate. Whether you would enjoy watching what’s left after all the players with any talent or ambition have left is the point I was trying to make and, whether you like it or not, any club needs money….a lot of money.

Yep, I totally get where you are coming from. I absolutely despised this league when we were being murdered by Wednesday and Hull back under Wotte and co. That was not fun.

It's only fun this year because as you've said, we've been able to retain/build a team to make it fun. It doesn't take much to turn into a Swansea or a Stoke and I bet if we ask them how they feel about the Championship, they'll say it's a cesspit.

Being in this league and just winning every week is great, for sure, but you cannot sustain that if you don't take a promotion opportunity within the first 1 or 2 years.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 31cc said:

Make the most of the Cup on terrestrial TV and start saving for a TNT subscription.... thanks, F.A.!

TNT Sports agrees four-year deal for live FA Cup coverage from 2025-26 season | FA Cup | The Guardian

It's a shame it's gone back to that model, I think having the FA Cup across both ITV and BBC over the last couple of years has re-energised the comp and given it a bit of a boost.

Money talks though, and that's all football is about let's be honest. Not about fans or having games to watch, it's about the product and how much the big wigs can make out of it.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 08:50, SNSUN said:

any win in the premier league would be far superior to this.

On 10/02/2024 at 08:50, SNSUN said:

Ralph wants a word.

It was the wind!' - Hasenhuttl explains post-match tears following  Southampton's 'perfect' victory over Liverpool | Goal.com UK

On 16/02/2024 at 22:06, kwsaint said:

Basically sold out now. An insane following given it’s midweek, at Liverpool and on ITV.

Just noticed a few more have gone on sale , mostly front row behind the goal 

About 30 tickets left.