WBA 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

1 minute ago, manji said:

Fuck they are analysing the penalty . Blah blah……………but Southampton deserved to win.

And still no analysis on Mara being bundled over on the edge of their box... 

• Like 4

Back on track, confidence restored and we've shown we can go to a top side and win.

The Bristol result may turn out to be the jolt that we needed. I felt we were cruising a bit before, now we've woken up.

Time to turn the screw on Leeds and Ipswich.

We played some wonderful stuff for the first 30 minutes, but understandably grew tired mentally and physically towards half time. You can’t maintain that level for extended periods of time.

Subs again were a great strength. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

A lot of us thought that tonight would be the game that ended our unbeaten run it turned out to be a fairly comfortable win. Funny how it goes

That's the Championship for you.

We were clearly off it on Tuesday night but Bristol City looked a much better outfit than West Brom did tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

A lot of us thought that tonight would be the game that ended our unbeaten run it turned out to be a fairly comfortable win. Funny how it goes

Yep. After twenty minutes I was loving how good we were. A bit of a rocky patch either side of half time (that’s of course going to happen away against a top side) but overall a really decent performance. I was worried before the game that we’d be brittle after getting so exposed against Bristol City but the players all responded brilliantly.

• Like 3

Maybe not at our absolute best but not far off.
Got to appreciate the effort of the team, a couple of great goals and a fantastic save.
This team is honest, hard working and, it seems, getting smarter.
Special mention to Stu... has been for many years and remains a class act.

Great start to the weekend...COYS

• Like 3

Bar a period just before and after half time, we controlled that game. It was never really in much doubt. Started the game with the energy we lacked at the start against Bristol City, so immediately I knew it was going to be a better night.

WBA were always going to have spells, but I thought we defended them quite easily - they were very blunt in the main.

The subs in the 2nd half were made at the right time, we totally regained all control once that happened. Aribo was absolutely brilliant when he came on, his touch, movement and ability to drive with the ball made a huge difference and opened the game up for us. He was involved in the Brooks goal.

Make no mistake about it, this result will have the other sides feeling a bit shit. A lot would have seen this as a dropped points game, but we were professional, slick and composed and made pretty light work of the team in 5th. We were a level above really.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

And still no analysis on Mara being bundled over on the edge of their box... 

That was an extraordinary miss by the referee.  But what a brilliant away win.  Two quality goals and apart from a few nervy moments leading up to and after half time, a well controlled performance - very satisfying to quieten the crowd and rain on the prospective new owner parade.

Stephens to LB tightened the defence up well.   THB and Bednarek once again gave polished performances, and the strength off the bench was a key factor in the win.     The cameos of Aribo, Edozie and Brooks not only sealed the win but put pressure on the Baggies ability to counter attack.

A memorable moment was the tracking back run from Stu Armstrong before half time to snuff out a cross inside the box.  A brilliant response to the blip at Bristol.

• Like 4

Aribo adds the strength to midfield this team needs his quality on the ball was brilliant last 15 . He just keeps it used it well and drives us forward brings the good wide men into it.

Stu was back to his best after poor 3 games great performance from him. 
Left back position still worry but Stephens stayed wider second half.

Hoping Bree will be back soon

Come on the Janners

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 5

Bit of a dilemma for Martin now. Who does he play as his front 3 on Tuesday? Adam Armstrong needs a game out of the side for me. That's 4 games in a row where he has looked well off it. Edozie and Brooks have both looked decent recently and Fraser had a great game tonight. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah but losing a game changed the mindset. I had this as the banana skin, but had mentioned since that the pressure had changed and we could now bounce back. A bit like a refocus. Ok we will never know, but if we did not lose on Tuesday, we could have tonight instead, especially if they got that penalty 😂 

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

Bit of a dilemma for Martin now. Who does he play as his front 3 on Tuesday? Adam Armstrong needs a game out of the side for me. That's 4 games in a row where he has looked well off it. Edozie and Brooks have both looked decent recently and Fraser had a great game tonight. 

Great dilemma to have. I would stick to the winning team every time myself. 

Couple of questions as I only saw the last 20 mins ..

Russell mentioned the West Brom were surprised by how we set up and it took them half hour to adjust. What did we do differently in that first period. 

And, what did their manager get sent off for?

1 minute ago, Dr Who? said:

Yeah but losing a game changed the mindset. I had this as the banana skin, but had mentioned since that the pressure had changed and we could now bounce back. A bit like a refocus. Ok we will never know, but if we did not lose on Tuesday, we could have tonight instead, especially if they got that penalty 😂 

Baz would have saved it any way 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Good result, decent performance but never felt like we got out of first gear because neither did West Brom.  Honestly, I expected more of them.  Not sure if it was because of the news of the takeover but sounded like their fans celebrated by taking a shedload of tranquilisers washed down with Night Nurse.

Never been a massive fan of Aribo but thought he was excellent when he came on.

Special shout out to Andy Hinchcliffe, is there a bigger twat of a commentator?  Every compliment through gritted teeth and followed by "but they were shit in September", or "should have been a penalty against Stephens".  Fuck off.  Your international career is a winner on pointless and your chin looks like a saggy arse.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, JustinR said:

Russell mentioned the West Brom were surprised by how we set up and it took them half hour to adjust. What did we do differently in that first period. 

Their manager kicked a ball when still in play. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustinR said:

Pushed higher , passed it quicker high tempo won it back quickly. Wee man was great first 25.

Ball played down line everyone thought going out so he stopped it but never went out bit harsh but the rule .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I honestly think Aribo was coming good before he left for the African Nations cup. think he will play an important part now he's back 

Yeah exactly this. Aribo will play a hugely important role now he's back 😊

• Like 2

Great result - missed the match due to going to some shitty adults soft play in Portsmouth for a birthday.🤢Least it was buy one get one free beer.

Ex-Bournemouth lads doing the business.

Superb way to bounce back after the loss on Tues.

Partridge Cloud | people bounce back. dennis hopper, roif harris... there  are others.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Stephens was great tonight 😊 Solid in an unfamiliar position and made a goal saving clearance. And he's so good on the ball. Proper leader. 

After leaking 6 goals in 2 games, we looked solid tonight, with only a couple of days to work on the changes. Much higher tempo and pressing higher up the field. Impressive stuff for our 3rd game in 6 days. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Kudos to Stephens as well who was very good in an unfamiliar position. Much preferred him there to Manning... 

Better second half as he kept wide, periods in the first half he was being dragged too central and the gap was huge. But he was a real presence to have in the box for the set pieces etc, it was a good call to select him just for those moments.

18 minutes ago, austsaint said:

A memorable moment was the tracking back run from Stu Armstrong before half time to snuff out a cross inside the box

Yep... That should be shown on repeat at tomorrow's match debrief session with the players. If we collectively show that much passion and desire for the rest of the season then we'll surely cement auto-promotion...

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Keep Brooks as a game-changer sub for the time being IMO

• Like 2

Just now, trousers said:

Keep Brooks as a game-changer sub for the time being IMO

Could play the Fraser role, that's how he started with us - then eventually became a starter. Not many games left mind, and Brooks just wants to start games - so he may be thrown in sooner than Fraser was.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Better second half as he kept wide, periods in the first half he was being dragged too central and the gap was huge. But he was a real presence to have in the box for the set pieces etc, it was a good call to select him just for those moments.

I certainly prefer us with a more defensively minded left back, especially away from home. It allows KWP to stay higher up the pitch. It worked really well when Bree was fit. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Could play the Fraser role, that's how he started with us - then eventually became a starter. Not many games left mind, and Brooks just wants to start games - so he may be thrown in sooner than Fraser was.

Yep this with Brooks.

Great result considering West Brom are one of our rivals. It makes it even sweeter getting one over these considering how they and Portsmouth teamed up to send us down all those years ago.

Big shout out to Sam Allison. I’ve watched EPL games and its referees- the standard is pretty dreadful. This is with the help of VAR. Sam made one of the toughest calls today, sending their manager off- he got this absolutely spot on regardless if it’s too harsh. Rules are there for a reason. He’s also an ex professional footballer which helps. How many times have referees avoided making big decisions…

The Stephen’s handball/ foul on Mara both could have gone either way. We’ve been on the end of some rubbish decisions and also had some favourable ones. Onto the next game. Up the Saints! 

• Like 4