WBA 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

Should have been out of sight first half hour but I'm pleased we've kept ourselves in the the driving seat for second. We looked shaky again without Downes but it was a deserved win in the end. Two good goals and and a clean sheet so got to be happy with that!

Just now, CB Fry said:

Proved we can win and keep a clean sheet without Downes. But still, let's hope he's fit next week.

Our bench is immense for this division. 

The title charge is back on. 

Do we want Leicester to lose again?

Just now, CB Fry said:

Proved we can win and keep a clean sheet without Downes. But still, let's hope he's fit next week.

League and cup double. Piece of cake. 

• Like 1

Just now, CB Fry said:

lets hope this time next week Leeds have beaten Leicester and we can close the gap by thrashing the pussy cats at St Marys the next day

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Well all of the pundits disagree with you and I think if VAR is there it gets given. In any case, 0-2, fucking great result.

“all of the pundits“?

What? Both of them?

We all know that these pundits know nothing about football.

• Like 1

Great response. The lads have it in them, they really fucking do. Stu was excellent - when he plays well it reminds me of what he was capable of back in the PL. He can really make a difference for us. Aribo was superb when he came on. Stephens did brilliantly. Gavin, great save. Brooks was incisive and a class above. Well taken goal by Fraser, too.

Just keep doing what we're doing. Tuesday was a blip, they're only human.

• Like 3

Brilliant win and overall a polished performance with some good individual displays. Fantastic goal by David Brooks who finished a great move with a deft touch then slotted into the corner. Thought Aribo did some good things  and should get more game time and Kamaldean had moments as well. Edozie had an impact and a good assist. I was nervous before hand but we were generally comfortable. If we'd had two draws against Brizzle  and West Brom we'd have probably been reasonably happy so to get the 3 points was a bonus. We looked more secure from corners and crosses with Stephens height. Well done boys!

Edited by saintant

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

“all of the pundits“?

What? Both of them?

We all know that these pundits know nothing about football.

Prutton as well seemed to agree with them.

I think they know a bit about football. The laws, well, that’s a different matter

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Well all of the pundits disagree with you and I think if VAR is there it gets given. In any case, 0-2, fucking great result.

What, you mean including one of the pundits who was awarded a WBA hero award at half time. I wonder what francie benali would have said. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Well all of the pundits disagree with you and I think if VAR is there it gets given. 

VAR? That infallible system they use in the Premier League...? Yeah, you're probably right.... ;)

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 4

Just now, trousers said:

VAR? That infallible system they use in the Premier League...? ;)

VAR being shite doesn’t detract from the notion that the pen prob gets given if there is VAR, smiley winky thing. Thankfully, on many levels, we don’t have to put up with it.

• Like 1

Just now, whelk said:

Oh no we love a ref decision debate on here. Will no doubt carry over to tomorrow 

I love a mass debate about a ref. Especially the new female ones. I mass debate with my friends about them all the time. Sometimes I get so vociferous in my mass debating that my friends have to beat me off. 

• Haha 3

Simply lovely.

Restricted WBA to very little and although I thought we could have been a bit better in the final third, two great moves and two goals. Baz, the back four (Stephens had a few shaky moments but what right footed CB wants to be playing LB), Stu, Willy and Fraser wereall very good. Also thought Mara had some nice interchange and lovely touches against the man mountain he was against. Just lacked a bit of composure .

Subs made a big difference again, just like Hudders. Brooks, Edozie and Joe (how calm and controlled is he, becoming one of my favourite players) gave us a different threat, compared with their triple sub which did nothing for them. Kudos to RM again.

I honestly thought WBA were more than set piece and long throw merchants. It was like watching mid 2000s Stoke. Shite.

I seen it mentioned already, Andy Hinchcliffe on commentary - what a bellend. Was getting on like Stephens had saved the ball with outstreched arms fs and how it changed the game. Thought the ref did well.

Onwards and upwards

• Like 4

That's a huge win at a really tough place to go, bloody well done Saints! Two quality goals and great use of subs by Russ. Hinchcliffe was doing my nut keep banging on about the possible Stephens handball like it was the worst decision ever, I thought it would have been a soft one. Now c'mon Plymouth!

• Like 1

Absolutely MASSIVE result that. After Tuesday the wheels had the potential to well and truly come off, so tonight could prove to be one of the most important wins of the season.

Didn’t play as well as we might have, but it’s understandable given the fatigue in the squad. At least now they get a couple of days rest and we should have Downes and Adams back for Tuesday.

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yeah he made a real difference when he came on. Good to have him back, and his lack of minutes at the AFCON may have been a real blessing for us.

Subs were brilliant. Was starting to get pissed off with Charles ambling back, and Aribo made a big difference. Edozie and Brooks also came on just at the right time and added intent. Well done RM. We might have a fantastic bench but he manages them well. 

Just the one, just the one undefeated...

• Like 1

Absolutely brilliant performance from us tonight. Two class goals from Fraser and Brooks 😊 Stuart Armstrong was superb and got an assist - MOTM 😊THB was immense 😊 KWP and Jan superb 😊 Jack was very good playing at left back 😊 Aribo controlled the midfield when he came on 😊 Edozie with an assist too when he came on 😊 Bazunu made a wonder save in the second half and another clean sheet 😊 Everyone was superb tonight. Brilliant from RM tonight - get in! COYR 😊

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Subs were brilliant. Was starting to get pissed off with Charles ambling back, and Aribo made a big difference. Edozie and Brooks also came on just at the right time and added intent. Well done RM. We might have a fantastic bench but he manages them well. 

Just the one, just the one undefeated...

I thought Charles was good first half but tailed off quickly in the second. He’s still probably building his stamina - russ ball adjs a lot if the players. Aribo probably gets the nod next match.

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

If Rusty is going to be in the TV studio more I don’t think the black Fruit of the Loom sweatshirt is his best look.

Wtf is the host wearing as trousers?

1 minute ago, manji said:

Fuck they are analysing the penalty . Blah blah……………but Southampton deserved to win.

They need to be outside the ground asking the fans how different might it have been if you had been given a penalty