Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

I think we will get a positive result tonight but really can't see it leading to any kind of unbeaten run for automatic it's playing offs realistically.  We really do have to gamble on going up this season as we certainly won't get another better chance! the squad will be considerably weaker next season! KWP and the better loan players will certainly be on their way to the premier league.  Also we will be stuck playing a style under Martin that isn't a good fit for championship promotion (too easy to counteract and a style that ships goals) assuming he isn't off for Brighton by then. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

McCarthy not even named in the squad but replaces Baz over Lumley. Work that one out...

I’m guessing some sort of appearance related clause for McC, whereby we’d use Lumley as an emergency sub if needed but would prefer Alex if forced to start one of them. Either way it’s a blow so soon before kick off.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, chownie20 said:

Wondered if it may be wise to give Downes a rest for this one,  bur equally if you have to win a match you play your key players.

I think we should definitely rest Downes today so that he is fully fit for all the remaining games - We will then need to win all of those because of the fact we lost this game due to leaving Flynn Downes on the bench.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m guessing some sort of appearance related clause for McC, whereby we’d use Lumley as an emergency sub if needed but would prefer Alex if forced to start one of them. Either way it’s a blow so soon before kick off.

Makes zero sense though. If we feel safer with McCarthy in goal why is he not on the bench? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Wow. McCarthy starts

Wtf is that about?! Not good enough for the bench, but given the nod to start over the fella who was on the bench. Bonkers. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Makes zero sense though. If we feel safer with McCarthy in goal why is he not on the bench? 

I assume the McCarthy contract stuff would be related to him being in the squad, so he'd potentially hit a clause just by sitting on the bench

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Is real. Limped out of the warm-up and then RM came out to talk to the players on the pitch, presumably about a change in tactics somewhat?

Yeah, “this lad couldn’t pass water, we are fcked”

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

He’s not even warming up though like the PNE goalies are. You’d have thought..can you even name a new starter if he’s not in the announced squad? 

I think you can up till half an hour before kick off.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

I'm more surprised he hasn't taken this opportunity to shoe horn Stephens into goal.

Apparently that was what they were discussing in that huddle and surprisingly Jack didn’t get the gloves. 😂. It was Jans vote that did it. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I assume the McCarthy contract stuff would be related to him being in the squad, so he'd potentially hit a clause just by sitting on the bench

Hmm. Contracts I've seen usually deem involvement as being in the match say squad, which plainly he was He may have something based on the chosen team and bench thou. Still, bloody odd to bring him from outside the 20 to start. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see our approach with the strength of the GK being very different. I expect we haven't practised much passing with AM. Do we avoid it, can we avoid it seeing how ingrained it is?

1 minute ago, obelisk said:

Baz out for the season then by the sound of it. No way can Saints do the tippy-tappy heart-in-the-mouth suicide stuff with McCarthy as 'keeper.

You’d think so..but Martin is very stubborn. Or brave as he would call it.

Chance for Alex to have a solid night and go on to finish his Saints career on a high playing to his strengths of saving and claiming balls which Baz is hopeless at. Worse with his feet but be clear with the back 4 that it needs to go more direct and forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Good evening.

Let's cook something nice. Like my wife, who's done a curry.

I've done a Lasagne and garlic bread. No salad cos you don't win friends with salad.

18 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

He’s not even warming up though like the PNE goalies are. You’d have thought..can you even name a new starter if he’s not in the announced squad? Is this points deductions stuff? Ineligible player whathaveyou? 

Worrying times.

3pts for ineligible player not in squad. Plus another 3 when they realise Brooks is cup tied. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Thinking could be a more experienced 'keeper will find it easier to step in with less notice/preparation time? 

• Like 1

Just now, saintsdan said:

Thinking could be a more experienced 'keeper will find it easier to step in with less notice/preparation time? 

That's the only logical decision. 

Just now, saintsdan said:

As opposed to Lumley having to come off the bench in the middle of a game? 

And Lumley's 29, he ain't a kid.

31 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Why on earth would Lumley be the sub keeper but McCarthy comes in for Bazunu? 

‘Cos you need a dependable keeper on the bench just in case.

( Lego’s logic.)

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-0 PNE - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic