Jo Tessem... good or bad as commentator?

NewYorkSaint

I listen to him and Adam Blackmore while also watching the game... and find myself increasingly frustrated with him. I appreciate his tactical insights from time to time... but so often he sounds to me super-whiny, and without real clarity as to what his point is.  "They need to pass it forward more, Adam."  Well, sure...  but....  they also need to retain possession. They're trying a radically different type of football. Overall it's been working brilliantly.    Would love a little more credit where credit's due.

More generally, he just takes away a lot of the fun of listening to a radio commentary. You want passion, excitement, enthusiasm as well as thoughtful criticism. He's got the balance wrong, in my view... and even if he didn't change a word he says, I could wish he didn't sound like a strangled chicken so often....

Basically... I miss Dave Merrington.

Am I alone on this?

• Like 1

he’s grown on me 

he was laying into the aimless passing around at the back. you can sense the frustration is building with RM and the fact that the team is clearly less than the sum of its parts 

• Like 14

both Claus and Jo Tessem were excellent players, but in the same way that not all good players make good managers

not every former  player make a good commentator, that is an art in itself. 

Many of we oldies recall the master radio man - Kenneth Wolstenholme who was simply the best and we knew it. 

His secret was - the commentator should never get in the way of the game.-  He said much in a few sentences, but even 

Adam Blackmore can go over the top when rattling on with a juicy story whilst the play goes from end to end - and he's even missed goals. 

I think Dean Hammond makes a good partner for Ian Wilding  on Saints Play.  They don't get in each others way, and as an ex-player

Dean knows what's important to say whilst the game is ongoing. 

• Like 3

I do really enjoy their podcast - because the game is still fresh and they have clearly experienced the same emotions you have watching it. Plus Jo usually finds some interesting technical/tactical point to discuss. 

I've never been able to get radio commentary and TV coverage to overlap closely enough not to be a distracting load of bollocks. When I'm at the game I watch it!

But when I do listen I enjoy the commentary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Galway saint said:

he’s grown on me 

he was laying into the aimless passing around at the back. you can sense the frustration is building with RM and the fact that the team is clearly less than the sum of its parts 

He's definitely improved and his accent doesn't grate on me now like it used to. He's also been speaking sense recently and gives a good perspective as an ex pro. I think he's worth a place in the commentary team. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

I do really enjoy their podcast - because the game is still fresh and they have clearly experienced the same emotions you have watching it. Plus Jo usually finds some interesting technical/tactical point to discuss. 

I've never been able to get radio commentary and TV coverage to overlap closely enough not to be a distracting load of bollocks. When I'm at the game I watch it!

But when I do listen I enjoy the commentary.

i like the podcast - they have developed a good rapport between them and have views worth listening to. I enjoyed the episode about rotherham and the hotel stay.

didnt realise blackmore is a villa fan

His accent used to get on my tits, but in fairness he’s definitely grown on me, and I admire how critical he can be of us and our play as though he’s watching us as a fan. Counter that with say Dean Hammond, who for me has had the opposite effect, and I can’t stand his Uber positivity no matter how shit we’re playing. It’s almost like he’s scared if he criticises us he’ll lose his job or get shot as if he’s working for the DPRK.

• Like 4

Surman would have been my first choice as it felt like he was a natural for the role, but Jo Tessem has grown on me too. Yes he has a funny voice but he has been developing a lot and getting good rapport with Adam Blackmore who is consistently excellent (I don't recall any instances when he's missed out on goals while going off-topic, @david in sweden maybe he's sharpened up in recent years since the club have tended to use Solent for post-match highlights).

@NewYorkSaint I liked Dave Merrington too, but I bet you he would have been spitting feathers at some of our performances. I can just imagine the rant already, "What you don't want to do is concede so soon into the second half!"

Where Tessem has won me over is that I occasionally watch footage with Solent in the background and frequently hear him making an interesting observation well before Sky/iFollow do, or if they notice at all. If you're going to rely on radio commentary then you need someone like that.

A word on the iFollow coverage. I think Ian Wilding does a pretty decent job, but as @bpsaint has already said, it feels like Dean Hammond still thinks he's working for Saints and is delusionally positive. Must be a symptom of having worked under Nigel Adkins... Sometimes I don't mind him when we're really shit, but deep down I know he's talking bullshit! 

Tessem isn't afraid to speak his mind, and that is particularly necessary when Blackmore seems to feel the need to tread more carefully and avoid Russell Martin getting stroppy after the match.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, david in sweden said:

both Claus and Jo Tessem were excellent players, but in the same way that not all good players make good managers

not every former  player make a good commentator, that is an art in itself. 

Many of we oldies recall the master radio man - Kenneth Wolstenholme who was simply the best and we knew it. 

His secret was - the commentator should never get in the way of the game.-  He said much in a few sentences, but even 

Adam Blackmore can go over the top when rattling on with a juicy story whilst the play goes from end to end - and he's even missed goals. 

I think Dean Hammond makes a good partner for Ian Wilding  on Saints Play.  They don't get in each others way, and as an ex-player

Dean knows what's important to say whilst the game is ongoing. 

Dean Hammonds left he's now assistant coach at Worthing FC

11 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Franny would be perfect as a co-commentator on some form of Saints media, wonder if he was ever approached. 

I heard some of him doing the Bournemouth v Man City game for 5 live and he was very good

On 09/03/2024 at 22:55, bpsaint said:

Franny would be perfect as a co-commentator on some form of Saints media, wonder if he was ever approached. 

He never really fights our corner, he is too nice when Ive seen him dissect our games on Sky. 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2024 at 18:15, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I like the guy, liked him as a player too. He's a lot better than the Bournemouth guy on Solent, John Williams. 

Yep but he is very partisan to Bournemouth and has a passion for them

5 hours ago, OldNick said:

Yep but he is very partisan to Bournemouth and has a passion for them

That's kinda the point. Even when Bournemouth play shite he never acknowledges it.  At least Tessem calls us out when we are shit.

Edited by Lee On Solent Saint
Spelling
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jo Tessem... good or bad as commentator?

True story:

At my son’s school, the receptionist/secretary there was called Miss Tessem. She was fairly fit, maybe mid twenties and very nice in manner as well. One day I had to go and pick him up and whilst I waited in reception I said,

”So, your name, Tessem? You’re not related to Joe Tessem are you”

And she  laughed and said “yes, I am actually”

”Right, is he your dad?”

And she said, “No, he’s my husband”! 

Fair play Joe

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Professor said:

Jo Tessem is excellent as far as I’m concerned. 
In my opinion, he and Adam make a good partnership. 

Jo is better than I expected. He and Adam make a good team, they suffer anxiety same as I do which helps me identify with them but I will always miss Dave M

He’s really good…. Knows his stuff. What annoys me is some of the texts and wassaps that get read out on the radio.. some person called gouldy always getting texts read out and spouts a complete load of tosh… can’t believe they’ve ever attended a game, let alone played in one.

2 minutes ago, musesaint said:

Good. He also 100% nailed the shortcomings in Russ Ball after the Sunderland game 

He made the point that when sunderland were pressing us in numbers high up the pitch at the beginning of the second half we didn’t exploit the space in behind and go long but instead continue to pass sideways and backwards inviting the pressure and playing in no man’s land between the 18 yard box and half way. 

I don’t mind JT and AB ~ pretty balanced, although I sometimes wish for more commentary on the actual performance and less opinion of what’s right or wrong…that’s not really a commentators job during the game, but good in the break/after the final whistle.

I like him, probably more than DM (I know, shoot me). DM always felt of a much older era of football that I didn't really relate to (when he was youth manager, I was 12). JT seems to wear his heart on his sleeve, isn't afraid to stir the nest and genuinely seems like he loves the club. It's rare to listen to a commentator who feels as bummed out as you do as a fan when your team plays shit and loses.

To begin with I wasn't convinced by him, but now I quite like him. You're not going to get any deep, meaningful insight too often (though occasionally he comes up with a tatical note of interest) but I enjoy hearing his thoughts nonetheless. He's a bit glass half-empty, but then so am I, so I can relate.

It's Dean Hammond I struggle with. He's probably a lovely bloke, but he's too positive for me! Sometimes, you just have to say it as it is, not look for a crumb of hope.

On 11/03/2024 at 17:22, Lee On Solent Saint said:

That's kinda the point. Even when Bournemouth play shite he never acknowledges it.  At least Tessem calls us out when we are shit.

Hmm, I dunno. I've heard him as downbeat as Jo can get before. But I do agree that he bigs them up too much when they're doing well, too. Makes out like they're Barcelona or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I miss Dave Merrington on the summary, but Tessem has grown on me.

I was fortunate not being able to go yesterday so listened to Solent. Tessem certainly didn’t hold back yesterday in his criticism of the team, and especially RM’s selection and tactics (nor did Blackmore although tried to be a bit more ‘balanced’).

Tessem particularly highlighted Jack Stephens ( what is he meant to be doing), AA , why he was playing up front, it simply wasn’t working, his miss in the first half, the inverted full backs, a Bazunu cock up in the second half that could have been costly. 

Made a refreshing change from the “he’ll be disappointed with that” bollocks.  

Edited by Badger
  • Like 5

Yeah he's grown on me and he doesnt hold back when he sees something wrong......it helps that virtually everyone else sees it to but at least his voice adds some weight to the view as an ex professional footballer. 

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, saints-til-i-die said:

He is fantastic. His tactical explanations of the issues caused by the Stephens obsession were spot on.

They were, and while people argue that Jack has been playing well, which in general is valid, its this effect on the others and the shape thats the issue.

• Like 1