Steve Lansdown accuses Southampton of "cheating" over Bath Academy

Lallana's Left Peg

Bristol City are doing a twitter Q&A this evening with Steve Cotterill, their Manager. This exchanged occurred:

Bristol City FC ‏@bcfctweets 1 hr

Q: What is your view on Southampton's Academy stealing the Bath patch?

SL: I think it's a Prem club doing what they want and I don't like it. They are cheating but what can we do about it?

SC: If we want a 16-year-old kid you hope will be the next big thing, do you pay 250k to buy his parents a house? That's what goes on.

If I recall correctly the Premier League gave us special dispensation to set-up an Academy in Bath after we said the old rules around having to live within 1.5hrs of the ground disadvantaged us due to half our catchment area being the English Channel. I think we got lucky in that respect. However, regardless of the merit of the discussion as to whether it should still exist should an official clubs twitter account be used as a vehicle to accuse us of cheating?

Doesn't mean anything, just a fans Q&A really, say's he isn't happy about it but there's nothing they can do.

Non-story.

I don't think it would garner much interest if he bemoaned it. But to accuse us of cheating is strong via an official channel. If we aren't breaking any rules then surely we can't be cheating and his accusations are unfounded?

Since EPPP it's irrelevant anyway. We are Cat A so we have no catchment area any more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

It's not irrelevant at all, EPPP doesn't allow other clubs to set up satellite academies, it allows them to recruit kids from all over the country to their own academy. The Bath site allows us recruit kids from that area without them leaving home, a big advantage. Us getting the bath site was very advantageous, there are plenty of other clubs who are disadvantaged like us by being on the coast but who don't have a satellite centre.

this has been up for debate before.

The FA rules stated that youth players for Prem.sides have to be within a certain radius of the home club (unsure of precise distance) but Saints (Rupert Lowe at the time, I think) argued that it meant

that most of our " catchment area " was in the English Channel :lol:.......and so we were allowed to choose another location on the mainland area. Hence it was Bath.

The FA rules stated that youth players for Prem.sides have to be within a certain radius of the home club (unsure of precise distance) but Saints (Rupert Lowe at the time, I think) argued that it meant

that most of our " catchment area " was in the English Channel :lol:.......and so we were allowed to choose another location on the mainland area. Hence it was Bath.

Didn't the same criteria allow Manchester United to attract a lad from Leytonstone in London on the basis he could fly in?

It could all be twisted if you argued it appropriately.

Bath centre had been going for years though,certainly in the 80's during Lawrie's time.

As Badger says the Bath academy dates back to LM days. In terms of Bristol, Rovers have a better development record than City. the Bath academy is based at the University and the sports facilities there are world class and no other club has ever seriulsy challenged SFC's position, this is where Bale started and we must keep it.

As Badger says the Bath academy dates back to LM days. In terms of Bristol, Rovers have a better development record than City. the Bath academy is based at the University and the sports facilities there are world class and no other club has ever seriulsy challenged SFC's position, this is where Bale started and we must keep it.

Also whilst we continuously produce top talent who are nurtured through to play in the Premier league, the FA would be pretty stupid to overturn the decision

My grandson is going on Saturday to Bath University to play for Dorset Under 12 V Saints Bath Academy under 12. He played them back in the Autumn and Dorset won 0-6 so Saints asked for another fixture. I expect Saints will play a stronger side on this occasion. We shall therefore miss the Yeovil game.

Mmmmm, dubious at best ... a closer look would reveal there is an entire county south of the Hampshire coast.

Seems like strange timing to only now be kicking off about the Bath centre, when it's been running for the best part of 20 years.

Also, I'd be absolutely amazed if we ever went as far as buying parents a house - I'm sure there are all sorts of incentives thrown in the direction of families of promising kids but until very recently we've never had the budget to go as far as that.

My grandson is going on Saturday to Bath University to play for Dorset Under 12 V Saints Bath Academy under 12. He played them back in the Autumn and Dorset won 0-6 so Saints asked for another fixture. I expect Saints will play a stronger side on this occasion. We shall therefore miss the Yeovil game.

Then your Grandson will be playing against my lad - hope they both enjoy it. One thing that I really like is that the coaches genuinely do not give a monkeys about the result. They are looking purely at how well the boys execute the things they have been taught, the patterns of play, their bravery in terms of taking risks and creating opportunities - no-one gets told off for making a mistake as long as the intentions were good.

Then your Grandson will be playing against my lad - hope they both enjoy it. One thing that I really like is that the coaches genuinely do not give a monkeys about the result. They are looking purely at how well the boys execute the things they have been taught, the patterns of play, their bravery in terms of taking risks and creating opportunities - no-one gets told off for making a mistake as long as the intentions were good.

how many houses have we bought you so far, if you don't mind me asking?

That's different than Man Utd where my youngest lad went.

They were always telling the lads what they were doing wrong. In fact they gave him (6 years old) a yellow card for a fair slide tackle. He was completely bemused. Never forget the first thing they said to them "we don't shoot, we don't pass & we don't run" kids told to beat 3 other players rather than pass! Opposite of what I was told - run into space, pass when surrounded & move.

He hated it that much he asked to stop!!

He's happy at Stoke now.

I don't think some of you really comprehend how highly regarded Saints academy is nationally. I've enjoyed two fantastic conversations with Matt Crocker since he joined the FA.

As for the Bath Centre, its absolutely no different to what Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal currently do with the exception of it being managed correctly and not money orientated.

I don't think some of you really comprehend how highly regarded Saints academy is nationally. I've enjoyed two fantastic conversations with Matt Crocker since he joined the FA.

As for the Bath Centre, its absolutely no different to what Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal currently do with the exception of it being managed correctly and not money orientated.

Didn't Norwich have a presence there as well? Seem to remember the likes of Eadie and Cureton being Bristol lads. Bristol City should put their own youth development house in order before throwing stones at other people's. Rovers have had a far better track record at getting good young players through their system so perhaps City need to learn from the Gasheads?

Didn't Norwich have a presence there as well? Seem to remember the likes of Eadie and Cureton being Bristol lads. Bristol City should put their own youth development house in order before throwing stones at other people's. Rovers have had a far better track record at getting good young players through their system so perhaps City need to learn from the Gasheads?

Darren Eadie was from Corsham Wilts and started at Leicester not Norwich and Jamie Curreton came through Brizzle Rovers Academy.

Seems like strange timing to only now be kicking off about the Bath centre, when it's been running for the best part of 20 years.

Also, I'd be absolutely amazed if we ever went as far as buying parents a house - I'm sure there are all sorts of incentives thrown in the direction of families of promising kids but until very recently we've never had the budget to go as far as that.

Wouldn't be surprised if the club owned some houses for the scholars and family to stay in, but thats a different proposition.

Been thinking about this. Stephen Lansdown WAS a client of mine for a number of years. Hes a very smart cookie. An accountant by trade who set up Hargreaves Landown. Ive actually been to the football with him a couple of times.

It doesnt sound like the kind of thing he would say. The word 'cheats' in particular.

Mmmmm, dubious at best ... a closer look would reveal there is an entire county south of the Hampshire coast.

yes but also a LOT of water too, and IOW doesn't have an established league (or even non-league club) in the vicinity ...

.....AND part of the arrangement was that youngsters shouldn't have more than xx minutes/1 hour (?) travel time and so unless any prospects lived within a bus ride of the ferry that might be difficult.

Bath centre had been going for years though,certainly in the 80's during Lawrie's time.

that's right. The quote I made was from RL and just went to underline the already existing situation where we had the Bath Centre.

(Every so often a club (like City) comes up with this complaint....and it 's a bit like Argentina claiming the Falklands..over and over again.)

Rulings were different back then and we had School(s) of Excellence all over the place. Didn't Steve Williams come through the London-based one?

All clubs do it even Bournemouth recruit far and wide.

One of the biggest poachers are Chelsea who have a massive set up locally - in fact

I know they bought a house for a young lad and his family from Marseille.

The thing that makes me laugh is when they had Reserve games at Staplewood Cotterill had a season ticket trying to poach our youngsters.

that's right. The quote I made was from RL and just went to underline the already existing situation where we had the Bath Centre.

(Every so often a club (like City) comes up with this complaint....and it 's a bit like Argentina claiming the Falklands..over and over again.)

Rulings were different back then and we had School(s) of Excellence all over the place. Didn't Steve Williams come through the London-based one?

Also Wallace x 3.........and a few others too.

London was prolific - Wallaces as Otttery states, Agboola, Williams, plus others who moved on Steve Neville, 'Chicken George'etc.

Newcastle of course produced Shearer, Tont Sealy , (ok so it was responsible for Steve Baker ..).

Racking my brain today, as to the last young player of any note produced by Bristol City - Gary Mabbutt is the only one I can think of, in the what 1980's ?

Rovers on the other hand used to develop through the ranks - mostly from South Wales. I think I read once that in the 50's or 60's they once fielded an entire team of Welshmen.