Toby

washsaint

What is bloody sad and amateurish is that Spurs have turned this into a media soap opera and no doubt thats via the mitchell fella who left here.

Saints have nibbled and counteracted some of the media stuff but really its Spurs pushing the desperate boat out.

Any professional club would simply do their business in private and buy the player.

What is bloody sad and amateurish is that Spurs have turned this into a media soap opera and no doubt thats via the mitchell fella who left here.

Saints have nibbled and counteracted some of the media stuff but really its Spurs pushing the desperate boat out.

Any professional club would simply do their business in private and buy the player.

Every transfer window is a media soap opera.

Well we haven't bought him either, so we're as equally unprofessional then.

Unless they really are using him to put other clubs off the scent of their real targets ?

Who knows, I just hope it is sorted one way or the other pretty quickly now.

Well we haven't bought him either, so we're as equally unprofessional then.

Indeed

Old Ronald is not shy about talking up players he wants at saints to the media

When another manager does it about one of ours? The fecking Liberty!!!!

What is bloody sad and amateurish is that Spurs have turned this into a media soap opera and no doubt thats via the mitchell fella who left here..

Not sure how you can blame this on Mitchell, clutching at straws. At the end of the day, AM clearly are looking to sell, and if Toby is willing to join Spuds then so be it. He will not join Spuds if he doesn't want to, if they are seriously making an offer he could easily end it by saying no, but there is no sign of him doing that.

If the fee is 10-12m, I cannot believe we wouldn't be matching that.

The only real reason I can see that we'd miss out is if Toby has told us that he wants to go to Spurs, so we walk away. Though that flies in the face of what RK said this week.

Something doesn't quite add up.

Far from being ITK, and this will probably be the one and only chance I get to share something, but I've just been told something by a friend I bumped into this afternoon. He has had contacts with the club before and he said our issue with Atletico is around the £1.5million fee due to buy out the purchase clause we had. Seemingly Atletico wanted to negotiate a larger fee to do a deal, knowing how well Toby had done and in the knowledge they could pay us off, if we didn't agree and then sell to a higher bidder. We declined, as you expect we would initially, and both sides refused to budge. Discussions re-opened but Atletico have now paid up the £1.5 million, which is probably why the stuff about the clause being cancelled has resurfaced this week, when we all thought it had been done a while ago.

Our problem remains the £1.5 million as AM aren't happy they've had to pay it 'for nothing', in their view, and they want it back, if we are to agree a deal with them (in effect meaning we have to pay £1.5 million more than Spurs, or anyone else, if we want him). He thinks this is why RoKo said they were being difficult and maybe this is our sticking point. I thought the clause meant we'd be paying less but maybe it's proving a bit of a hindrance now.

I can't substantiate any of this but my friend isn't inclined to make stuff up. His contact could be wrong, could've misinterpreted the situation or could even be having a laugh. Whatever, though, I thought I'd share and now open myself for public ridicule for choosing to do so.

Far from being ITK, and this will probably be the one and only chance I get to share something, but I've just been told something by a friend I bumped into this afternoon. He has had contacts with the club before and he said our issue with Atletico is around the £1.5million fee due to buy out the purchase clause we had. Seemingly Atletico wanted to negotiate a larger fee to do a deal, knowing how well Toby had done and in the knowledge they could pay us off, if we didn't agree and then sell to a higher bidder. We declined, as you expect we would initially, and both sides refused to budge. Discussions re-opened but Atletico have now paid up the £1.5 million, which is probably why the stuff about the clause being cancelled has resurfaced this week, when we all thought it had been done a while ago.

Our problem remains the £1.5 million as AM aren't happy they've had to pay it 'for nothing', in their view, and they want it back, if we are to agree a deal with them (in effect meaning we have to pay £1.5 million more than Spurs, or anyone else, if we want him). He thinks this is why RoKo said they were being difficult and maybe this is our sticking point. I thought the clause meant we'd be paying less but maybe it's proving a bit of a hindrance now.

I can't substantiate any of this but my friend isn't inclined to make stuff up. His contact could be wrong, could've misinterpreted the situation or could even be having a laugh. Whatever, though, I thought I'd share and now open myself for public ridicule for choosing to do so.

Hmm, the clause was always there to protect Atletico in the first place - in that if Toby 'outperformed' his £6.8m agreed fee they could cancel that deal for £1.5m and then sell for more. Them behaving like this is a little off, though I suppose they are entitled to do what they want. If Toby really does want to join us then it doesn't matter, meanwhile I suppose Spurs see an opportunity to try and get a deal done.

Unless they really are using him to put other clubs off the scent of their real targets ?

Who knows, I just hope it is sorted one way or the other pretty quickly now.

Sky sports transfer centre reporting that the Athletico president wants the deal done by the end of Sunday

So Spurs pay £11m to Athletico then in reality they are only receiving £9.5m because we have had our money back. If we bid £9.5m + repay the £1.5m that I would suggest this puts us in a much better position and as such I am a lot more confident.

Athletico effectively have a £1.5m incentive to sell to us, look at it that way, But I am not surprised they are playing hardball as they know we want the player. Based on the above and if the player is neutral - WE ARE IN THE BOX SEATS.

In my role we get a fair few commercial issues where both sides are not prepared to budge on principle, but after a while the commercial reality of needing to get a deal done bites and both sides will give ground. If I was mediating this as a dispute I'd propose meeting in the middle. Saints pay £750k over the Spurs bid (leaving them £750k up), that way AM save face and retain more cash (£750k) than the Spurs deal.

PS if Sir Les is reading this and goes with my solution I expect a signed TA shirt.

Sky sports transfer centre reporting that the Athletico president wants the deal done by the end of Sunday

Levy will hold talks with Atletico chief executive Miguel Angel Gil is believed to want any deal finalised by Sunday night.

Based on this use of the English language, I have no idea who wants it done.

A crucial word is missing somewhere in there.

So Spurs pay £11m to Athletico then in reality they are only receiving £9.5m because we have had our money back. If we bid £9.5m + repay the £1.5m that I would suggest this puts us in a much better position and as such I am a lot more confident.

Athletico effectively have a £1.5m incentive to sell to us, look at it that way, But I am not surprised they are playing hardball as they know we want the player. Based on the above and if the player is neutral - WE ARE IN THE BOX SEATS.

In my role we get a fair few commercial issues where both sides are not prepared to budge on principle, but after a while the commercial reality of needing to get a deal done bites and both sides will give ground. If I was mediating this as a dispute I'd propose meeting in the middle. Saints pay £750k over the Spurs bid (leaving them £750k up), that way AM save face and retain more cash (£750k) than the Spurs deal.

PS if Sir Les is reading this and goes with my solution I expect a signed TA shirt.

I guess that's a positive way to look at it if what I've been told is true. I like your solution and am willing to sign it off. Les, over to you...

Do we know if Les or anyone from our posse has flown to Spain too, by the way? How we are competing in this, I wonder?

I guess that's a positive way to look at it if what I've been told is true. I like your solution and am willing to sign it off. Les, over to you...

Do we know if Les or anyone from our posse has flown to Spain too, by the way? How we are competing in this, I wonder?

Seeing as flying out to Spain (which by the way, has taken all week... Has Levy gone by Balloon?) seems to be the deal clincher, I'd be surprised if Les hasn't been onto easyJet to sort an emergency flight out.

I trust the club to get a deal done at the right price. They won't be mugged into paying over the odds and if Spurs want to then so be it, the black box will have other targets that represent better value.

The club, under our new regime haven't been adverse to paying £10-12m for players that suit us (Tadic, Long and Mane) and Toby clearly falls into this bracket of performance. So as long as Levy doesn't turn it into a Dutch Auction I think he'll come to us.

I trust the club to get a deal done at the right price. They won't be mugged into paying over the odds and if Spurs want to then so be it, the black box will have other targets that represent better value.

The club, under our new regime haven't been adverse to paying £10-12m for players that suit us (Tadic, Long and Mane) and Toby clearly falls into this bracket of performance. So as long as Levy doesn't turn it into a Dutch Auction I think he'll come to us.

Surely we should win a Dutch auction! ;)

I can't see any reason to fly to Madrid to do the deal !?

Hearing it's a done deal :-( . I just hope we haven't wasted too much time on pursuing him. We still need 4 more players imo. Hopefully Les has been working on other targets.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I don't doubt your integrity Tony. I am curious that you appear more ITK about Spurs than everyone on the Spurs forum.

In essence, how good is your source?

Hearing it's a done deal :-( . I just hope we haven't wasted too much time on pursuing him. We still need 4 more players imo. Hopefully Les has been working on other targets.

Your comments could be taken both ways

Still, it's not like we haven't beaten Spurs when all looked lost before....

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?51639-Sadio-Mane-Signs-4-Year-Deal-Official&p=2042436#post2042436

Why bother twisting yourselves up in knots over it?

As fans, there is the square root of bugger all we can do about it, just go enjoy the summer and trust the club to get players in who want to play for the club and are going to do a job for us.

We had Toby on loan for a season, he was very good for the club and clearly enjoyed his time with us. I'll be very happy if he's pulling on a Saints shirt next season an if it turn out he's playing for another team then I hope we absolutely stuff whoever it is (just I like I want Saints to stuff every team they play)

This is bull. No financially responsible person at Atletico would allow anything but the figures to dictate. Atletico Madrid are a football club not a ****ed off teenager

You also told us Schneiderlin to Man U was a done deal a few days before Koeman said no serious bids had been recieved.

Whilst it can quite often be a case of ''no smoke without fire'', it just feels like there's a little too much messy noise regarding Spurs. Lots of repeating, lots of rehashing and the releasing of info which is pretty irrelevant in the most case.

I'm not in the know or anything like that, but I just can't buy the Spurs stuff. I may be wrong, and so be it, but it just feels a little too noisy to me - something isn't quite right about it.

Whilst we're not saying zilch, which is very often the case when we're working on stuff. I will stick my neck out here and say it's a combination of this...

Spurs wanting the Atletcio defensive midfield player, Matteo Suarez, and agents/atlectio touting Toby's name around. The media get hold of it, put 2 and 2 together and come up with 23535353.

Remember, he's only just got back ftom holiday, so I can imagine any move is ramping up as we speak. We'll know next week, I'm sure. I'm still pretty confident, I think the club are quite calm about it too.

Not sure how you can blame the club without knowing the circumstances

Because we were in pole position and I do not believe Spurs will pay a fee that is outside our top

Bracket. More so when we had a surplus last season.

Let's be honest with ourselves

We look like we are not getting Toby. Which is a poor show by the club IMO

When you say let's be honest with ourselves, do you mean let's agree with you?