Toby

washsaint

But the lifestyle for someone wealthy is. That's the point.

Easy enough to play for Saints and live within a close journey of either Bournemouth or West London.

I doubt anyone has ever joined Liverpool, Villa or Newcastle due to the attraction or interest of the place.

Would be a good signal if we can get Toby to sign for us, if it is a straight choice for him between Spurs and us as on the pitch they are the team we can overtake. I think the next 5 will be difficult without a cash investment, bigger stadium to make more revenue etc.

The appeal of being in London to the more rounded interested in culture international players cannot be understated either. If you've got money you want nice places to go and despite all the ridiculous 20 years out of date things said about Liverpool, that's a place that is richer than we are in terms of quality places to go, shop, hang-out, so Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd and City, Liverpool, Villa, Everton, Newcastle and even Bournemouth are ahead. Any investors out there want to make Southampton better by investing in some nice (non-chain) restaurants, bars, cafes etc. to make the city more attractive?

You need to get out more it think

Give me top ten and a trophy any day of the year. That would be fantastic!

Interesting to think what would be considered a successful season. Finishing 9th, but making the knock out stages of the Europa, is that a better achievement than the season just gone for example?

Interesting to think what would be considered a successful season. Finishing 9th, but making the knock out stages of the Europa, is that a better achievement than the season just gone for example?

I suppose its subjective but with the added Euro Competition there's a few permutations.

Doesn't sound like he has any real idea on the situation, to be honest.

Yes, part of the agreement was that we'd have first option at a set fee - but that was scrapped, well reported. Madrid want to sell to the highest bidder, so there's certainly not a first option situation for us. He seems as in the know as my dog.

Would be a good signal if we can get Toby to sign for us, if it is a straight choice for him between Spurs and us as on the pitch they are the team we can overtake. I think the next 5 will be difficult without a cash investment, bigger stadium to make more revenue etc.

The appeal of being in London to the more rounded interested in culture international players cannot be understated either. If you've got money you want nice places to go and despite all the ridiculous 20 years out of date things said about Liverpool, that's a place that is richer than we are in terms of quality places to go, shop, hang-out, so Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd and City, Liverpool, Villa, Everton, Newcastle and even Bournemouth are ahead. Any investors out there want to make Southampton better by investing in some nice (non-chain) restaurants, bars, cafes etc. to make the city more attractive?

Strange how many Footballers that have come to the South of England seem to keep a house down here for when they retire from the game.

Birmingham? Seriously?

Barmy.

I was born within keep cling distance of White a Hart

Lane and certainly wouldn't live anywhere near there. Professional footballers spend most of their working time at the training ground which for Tottenham is near the junction of the M25 and the A10 and a mile away from where my parents (and I) used to live. A lot of the players live further out in Hertfordshire or Essex. It can take an hour to get into central London from there, just as it does from Winchester.

I suspect in most cases it's the wives who decide, after the money of course.

He's on €5m a year at AM. And with their tax laws (the "Beckham" Law) I believe but might be wrong that that equates to a rate of 24.75%. Back of the fag packet maths, converting into Sterling and accounting for a higher tax rate, to earn the same amount, he would need to be paid about £85-90k a week. Spurs can do that. Can we?

You assume footballers pay tax as an employee would.

please put us out of our misery toby! tell us one way or another! can we afford to lose clyne, morgan and toby as well? what message does that send out?

The message to the clubs above is that we can on our day give you a run for your money, but ultimately we cannot compete with you. To the teams below , like a strengthening Swansea, we have peaked, come and have a go.

In Spain they don't, and the Beckham Law is about non-doms paying the 24.75% instead of, I think, 43%. UK it is harder to fiddle, and I know the old favourite was image rights being based off shore, but I think that that was closed down.

If footballers are employees of the club they will pay tax as a normal employee would, if they are self employed it's a different matter and they probably put most of their salary into a pension whatever status to increase the tax bands.

Edited by Saint_Ash
Missed bits

In Spain they don't, and the Beckham Law is about non-doms paying the 24.75% instead of, I think, 43%. UK it is harder to fiddle, and I know the old favourite was image rights being based off shore, but I think that that was closed down.

I think they're still working on the image rights business. Sol Campbell had some army-Barry about it IIRC.

Strange how many Footballers that have come to the South of England seem to keep a house down here for when they retire from the game.

Well, I'd say that number has declined in recent times since Kevin Keegan...and because they can keep houses because they have lots of money and like Keggy, Ball and the like those you refer to are probably English (and not necessarily interested in cultural activity beyond the golf course) and also it's a good place for older people because of a slower pace. Not really fitting for the new young and wealthier profile. I'm not off in my thinking, it's a strategic concern for the whole city and better not to be in denial and try to make it better so we can keep players here because of a good lifestyle as well as team.

You need to get out more it think

Yep, probably but where should I go that matches the criteria of a wealthy, culturally interested, globally experienced, expensive clothes shopping, non-chain restaurant, non-chain bar, exclusive club, michelin-starred eating person? Oh and I need a few options of each to keep me excited...

Birmingham? Seriously?

It's a big city, with a lot going on for wealthy footballers.

Barmy.

Why is it barmy? Strong word with no reasoning attached.

Don't get me wrong, I think Southampton has a large amount of potential, but it has a lot of catching up to do if it is to genuinely compete at the top level as a city with a varied and vibrant culture, and like it or not, top footballers are going to want a cool place to live in as well as a healthy pay packet unless they are motivated by a quiet lifestyle.

Very true, sadly Southampton has very little to offer. Even Brighton has better shops and restaurants, and a marathon. Southampton doesn't exactly make the most of its waterfront either. Could be good, but it isn't. The spinnaker tower is at least a landmark. Brighton are building their own. Each time I go back to Southampton it just seems the same but grottier.

How many players actually live in the city though? Apart from a few in ocean village I doubt many , The new forest , Winchester and other surrounding areas have plenty of places for the rich to wile away their time

How many players actually live in the city though? Apart from a few in ocean village I doubt many , The new forest , Winchester and other surrounding areas have plenty of places for the rich to wile away their time

new forest and Winchester two of the best areas in the country

Quite a few live around Winchester and can often be found there eating out together. It's the perfect location for them really.

I don't get the attraction of Ocean Village to be honest but it seems to be the first place a lot of the new players move to.

Well, I'd say that number has declined in recent times since Kevin Keegan...and because they can keep houses because they have lots of money and like Keggy, Ball and the like those you refer to are probably English (and not necessarily interested in cultural activity beyond the golf course) and also it's a good place for older people because of a slower pace. Not really fitting for the new young and wealthier profile. I'm not off in my thinking, it's a strategic concern for the whole city and better not to be in denial and try to make it better so we can keep players here because of a good lifestyle as well as team.

Yep, probably but where should I go that matches the criteria of a wealthy, culturally interested, globally experienced, expensive clothes shopping, non-chain restaurant, non-chain bar, exclusive club, michelin-starred eating person? Oh and I need a few options of each to keep me excited...

It's a big city, with a lot going on for wealthy footballers.

Why is it barmy? Strong word with no reasoning attached.

Don't get me wrong, I think Southampton has a large amount of potential, but it has a lot of catching up to do if it is to genuinely compete at the top level as a city with a varied and vibrant culture, and like it or not, top footballers are going to want a cool place to live in as well as a healthy pay packet unless they are motivated by a quiet lifestyle.

How many footballers do you think Villa or Liverpool have been able to attract as a result of their city being a deciding factor? I'll suggest it's a big, fat zero.

Only place that would make a difference to a player's decision is London.

How many footballers do you think Villa or Liverpool have been able to attract as a result of their city being a deciding factor? I'll suggest it's a big, fat zero.

Only place that would make a difference to a player's decision is London.

Well when was the last time you went to any of these places? I've been to Liverpool recently and it is a lot more vibrant than Southampton, feels much wealthier and has plenty to do.

The point I am trying to make is that of Southampton were a more attractive city then that element would never be a barrier. Accepting that it needs improving is the first part of moving forward

please put us out of our misery toby! tell us one way or another! can we afford to lose clyne, morgan and toby as well? what message does that send out?

Toby wasn't ours in the first place. I know it feels like it but the fact is he wasn't hence all this ****e.

Well when was the last time you went to any of these places? I've been to Liverpool recently and it is a lot more vibrant than Southampton, feels much wealthier and has plenty to do.

The point I am trying to make is that of Southampton were a more attractive city then that element would never be a barrier. Accepting that it needs improving is the first part of moving forward

But most footballers are fairly dull. I'm pretty sure Clyne isn't moving to Liverpool because it has a Tate museum and a better waterfront.

Twice to both last season alone, I've done many days and nights in both places with football and work.

Not one footballer is going to pick a club from either of those cities based on there being anything exceptional about those places. Only London would sway a player either way. And you can live in Winchester and be in London within the hour which does no harm.

Edited by Sour Mash

This is more of a Lounge subject but Liverpool has been completely transformed over the last 15/20 years but had millions of public money poured into it due to the city of culture thing. Southampton would never get that because it is in the "affluent" south. Hull is going through the same thing at the moment and this week gave planning approval for a major concert and conference centre, which will be built within a year. How long as that been mooted in Southampton?