Toby

washsaint

Haven't they just sold Mandzukic to Juve though? Probably just replacing one with another.

Martinez was bought for 35m euros and Madzukic sold for about 18m euros. Mind you they must have made a bob or two with their recent success on the field.

I wonder what the issue is with Atletico? Is it they are determined to use him as a makeweight in another deal? If Toby were to put his foot down and say he will only consider a move to Saints' date=' I wonder what their stance would be? Is it Atletico simply not agreeing any fees to see how they can use him best either as part of a transfer or as a squad player.[/quote']

Why would atletico agree to *any* early deal? It's in their interests to hang on for weeks yet. They know they have at least one, maybe several clubs wanting to buy him, and the longer they wait, the chances are the better deal they'll get ....... And even if it all goes pear-shaped, at worst they can sell him to us under the original deal.

Why would atletico agree to *any* early deal? It's in their interests to hang on for weeks yet. They know they have at least one, maybe several clubs wanting to buy him, and the longer they wait, the chances are the better deal they'll get ....... And even if it all goes pear-shaped, at worst they can sell him to us under the original deal.

Because Toby would have to agree with any deal in the end and its reported that he is only interested in three options..... AM are not going to be able to shift him to anywhere just because of a highest bidder. Its in everyone's interest in this particular situation for this to be sorted sooner rather than later....

Matching the bid is one thing, wages another.

I think that's the number 1 issue but just to inject a bit of second guessing here....

Toby originally came to Saints to play every week Plus the RK factor Plus (IMO) he was essentially putting himself in the shop window for this and future seasons career decisions by joining Saints.

It worked. He done great. His stock has soared as they say. WP Toby. And thank you from every Saints fan.

So, today his agent will be saying that his wages need be higher than last year to reflect his excellent debut EPL season. Toby will just say he's loved playing here in UK and would love to do it again. His agent will say that IF Toby was on (say) £68K pw last season at little but perfect for Toby Southampton then he cannot get less now from the likes of Spurs - and surely more, much more. I'm not sure AM want to pay EPL wages to a guy they did'nt use last year, and forego a big fee, so for me he is going to be sold this time. When his value should be at its theoretical highest.

IF as a consequence of all that Spurs head negotiator Levy says he will give Toby £100k pw to play at WHL then his agent will tell Saints that's what his player has been offered...and if we don't react in the right way then the agent is oblige to put pressure on AM to sell him to Spurs.

Of course if Spurs say they will pay bigger wages to turn Toby's head but then only want top pay peanuts to AM for him as a transfer fee - (a common ploy) then the player might start getting antsy. A bit of Adam Lallana perhaps creeps in.

A significant factor in all this is, and this worries both Saints and Spurs (or others) is Toby has little resale value (hes 26+ years old as it is and a 5 year deal makes him over 31).

If we agree to pay AM MORE than Spurs as a fee but don't pay Toby quite as much in wages then there is a stand-off between AM and Toby's agent and a little bit of natural resentment from Toby as well to be fair.

That Toby enjoyed his season here, he was already settled etc is like having a bird in the hand, that he likes RK and our style of play ditto but that only counts for so much. If Toby believes in the "project" as Saints that helps too but there cannot be too wide a gap between what we pay him in wages (and Join fee) compared to what the likes of Spurs or others will no matter what transfer fee is agreed.

I can see a "sensible" fee being agreed that's undisclosed because Toby gets a big golden hullo from saints out of it plus a good salary increase. Everyone happy and he goes on to become a legend. Or we get a £2m refund from AM and he joins Spurs. As a normal Saints fan that would leave a bad taste in the mouth and a bit of despondency. Losing a World class player like that would be a hard pill to swallow. We will survive though. :-)

Reading between the lines AM and Spurs have agreed a sale in principle, Levy is on his way out personally to try and persuade Toby that Spurs are the club for him and offer him more and more until he agrees.

Levy's obsession with Saints is second only to Rodgers. I'm fairly sure their recruitment plan is to watch what Southampton plan to do and then try and nip in before them with a bigger wage package.

I'm not sure Spurs either want to, or are able to pay £17m cash for a player.

As has been said earlier in this thread, they have a big squad, and need to shift out quite a few players. To that end, Spuds would always prefer to do a cash plus player deal.

Their problem is two-fold. A) They haven't really got any players that Atletico desperately want and B) Even in the unlikely event they did, Spuds would probably have to subsidies the wages. Despite their best efforts, they haven't been able to shift Adebayor out, nor the likes of Soldado and a few others.

The other, concerning their ability to fork out £17m in cold hard cash, is tied in with their stadium development. Yes, usually clubs try to keep funds for capital projects like ground development seperate from playing budgets, and no doubt Spuds would not have embarked on their stadium rebuild if they did not think they could afford it.

But it has proved a lot more expensive than they thought, especially with pesky little family-run sheet metal businesses holding out for maximum cash for their plot of land, despite being fire-bombed and subject to death threats from loony fans.

Despite their claims to being a big club, I'm not that sure Spuds have got £17m to spend on one player, especially when they have other areas of the team they want to improve.

This may be true, in principle, but Toby still has to agree to join any club that bids for him. In the end it is still his decision based on the options available.

Yep, he could do what Clyne did at Palace and run his contract down. Then he could go where ever he wanted to.

Reading between the lines AM and Spurs have agreed a sale in principle, Levy is on his way out personally to try and persuade Toby that Spurs are the club for him and offer him more and more until he agrees.

Levy's obsession with Saints is second only to Rodgers. I'm fairly sure their recruitment plan is to watch what Southampton plan to do and then try and nip in before them with a bigger wage package.

I read this today and this is probably exactly where we are or are not. I do not believe the fee will be anywhere near £25m

We will surely know by now if Toby wants to join us or not. Sours making all this noise suggests that they haven't actually reached agreement yet. I'm hopeful of marching a reasonable offer from spurs and then it's down to Toby. We clearly want him and I would hope that he would see us as closer to spurs than the likes of United or Chelsea. Our advantage is that he has a good partnership here and seemingly likes us. If he doesn't come here then I doubt very much that it will be to do with the fee, he will have just decided to go to spurs.

We already know Toby wants to join us. Koeman said so yesterday and there's no reason to doubt him.

Whilst that is absolutely true, there is no suggestion that he doesn't also view Spurs as a good destination and would be happy to go there too.

Interesting that we are in for Ogbonna, as wouldnt need another CB unless we don't get Toby.

Whatever happens though, it won't be for £10m.

Interesting that we are in for Ogbonna, as wouldnt need another CB unless we don't get Toby.

Is the rumour that we are after Ogbonna really indicative that we anticipate that Toby will leave? I would have thought that CB is an area where we need additional strength in depth because of the European campaign and a long PL season. We suffered last season when Toby was injured and weren't quite as solid with Yoshida or Gardos deputising.

Is the rumour that we are after Ogbonna really indicative that we anticipate that Toby will leave? I would have thought that CB is an area where we need additional strength in depth because of the European campaign and a long PL season. We suffered last season when Toby was injured and weren't quite as solid with Yoshida or Gardos deputising.

Can't see that being a priority. Think they are very good for 3rd/4th choice CBs, probably best we have had.

Gardos did ok when needed, Swansea, palace, man u, qpr away,

Arsenal, west ham home

For me prob one area with enough quality back up.

Can't see that being a priority. Think they are very good for 3rd/4th choice CBs, probably best we have had.

Gardos did ok when needed, Swansea, palace, man u, qpr away,

Arsenal, west ham home

For me prob one area with enough quality back up.

Surely that's what Stephens, Turnbull and McCarthy are being trained for.....

We need Toby. Yes we have Yoshida and Gardos (both capable of short term 1st team), but both 26 and not really the "next wave" of starting CBs at SMS. Stephens Turnbull and McCarthy are the youth movement. They will be loaned out, unless we can't get someone else into the team.

Toby should be the #1 priority right now. If he leaves, we will have a leaky defense next year (also missing Forster for a large amount of time).

The lack of conclusion of this is really frustrating. Sure, I know that AM are playing silly buggers, but it doesnt help.

Why can our board just bite the bullet and make a reasonable offer ?

How do you know that they haven't?

The lack of conclusion of this is really frustrating. Sure, I know that AM are playing silly buggers, but it doesnt help.

Why can our board just bite the bullet and make a reasonable offer ?

The first sentence is perfectly reasonable and demonstrates the frustration we all share.

The second sentence :mcinnes:

"Les, Apline is losing his **** again on Saintsweb."

"Ok, ok, I was hoping that by waiting we'd keep 10m back for other transfers but **** it, just bid our entire 30m transfer budget on him before all hell breaks loose. Then we will just have to deal with him whinging that we haven't signed anybody else later".

To be fair, if we've put in a reasonable offer from Atletico's point of view they probably would have accepted it.

Maybe, maybe not. But unless you know, it is a little strange to criticise the board. If I was AM, I know that I have a player that more than one club wants. The player's wishes might or might not be relevant (I suspect so long as he is well paid and can get a regular starting spot, then he might be flexible). More relevant is to try and get the greatest transfer fee and not just the first one.

Maybe, maybe not. But unless you know, it is a little strange to criticise the board. If I was AM, I know that I have a player that more than one club wants. The player's wishes might or might not be relevant (I suspect so long as he is well paid and can get a regular starting spot, then he might be flexible). More relevant is to try and get the greatest transfer fee and not just the first one.

I'm not defending Alpine, more saying that if we had put in a reasonable bid to Atletico the chance is they have, or will, accept it.

Also, how do you know this is the first offer?