Toby

washsaint

Surely we just need to match spurs bid? I assume Madrid will then except both bids and let the player choose which club he wants. I'd like to assume (probably wrongly) that after Toby's comments he opt to return to saints over spurs.

£££££....

Seems all those nice words about wanting to come back were bullsh*t.

Have you considered it is possible that he could want to join Saints, but also he'd be interested in joining other clubs as well? Its possible for both to be the case.

Also if Spurs have an offer accepted for him and Saints don't, then he can't join us regardless of how much he would like to.

Toby going to Spurs will disappoint me more than Morgan & Clyne.

The sad truth about football is money talks & the teams who finished above us have more & will pay bigger wages.

That's why being a Saints fan you regularly get kicked in the ********.

Just wish players had more integrity & talked about more personal wealth & less about ambition etc!!

The sad truth about football is money talks & the teams who finished above us have more & will pay bigger wages.

Just wish players had more integrity & talked about more personal wealth & less about ambition etc!!

Perhaps but as Toby has always said it's up to Atletico Madrid, perhaps they're just hacked off at having to pay us an extra 2 million euros in the first place, perhaps they've been subsidising Toby's salary for the past 11 months, we know nothing except that that he says.

And even then it would depend if Reed actually controls the purse strings. He may want to sign the player but isn't permitted to agree to the amount in question.

As DoF I suspect he is highly aware of the overall budget for the first team and will have as big of an input as anyone else as to how it is best spent for the strongest squad possible under the circumstance.

Personally I'd be very worried about us spending anything more than £15m on a single player.

Spurs are a top 6 Team pay very good wages cannot see why anyone could object to him going there

if we lose Toby to spurs is just another reminder on how we will never really be a top 4/6 club long term.

Sure, we will have good seasons but we will constantly lose our best to these sort of sides. that includes managers - Poch being a prime example.

not with the ground at 32k and not really getting more than that consistantly

I fully expect us to drop a few places down the league anyway (if we get into the group stages of the EL)

then again, should not be a surprise, didn't les say we finance for a top 10 finish?

Spurs are a top 6 Team pay very good wages cannot see why anyone could object to him going there

Yes but don't you know we the supporters think we own him. We're emotionally unequipped to cope with the rejection. He's ours, I tell you, he's ours!

plus they've got a few other Belgians, do Belgians have a herd mentality, don't remember it in Wallonia but perhaps in Flanders they do, the dutch certainly like to hang out amongst themselves.

if we lose Toby to spurs is just another reminder on how we will never really be a top 4/6 club long term.

Sure, we will have good seasons but we will constantly lose our best to these sort of sides. that includes managers - Poch being a prime example.

I fully expect us to drop a few places down the league anyway (if we get into the group stages of the EL)

then again, should not be a surprise, didn't les say we finance for a top 10 finish?

I think most of us would settle for a lower finish if we have a decent run in Europe.

Completely agree with that.

As would I. But that hardly is a mark of a side that should be signing Toby Alderweireld

Very true, signing him permanently this summer would've been a massive bonus I think, he deserves the CL, so would be a shame if he almost settled for Spurs, but we can't compete.

This.

Still think we have a chance with Toby, his twitter profile still has in a saints shirt and has saints played in his bio. He said he wanted to stay at saints this weekend, just hope we are bidding for him. The article states that Spurs haven't agreed a fee yet.

if we do not get Toby. we will need to replace him with someone very good.

Agreed. Losing Toby, Clyne, Forster and Morgan will impact our solidity at the back, which has been the foundation of our recent success.

The same person who told me about the keeper days before we signed him, told me this morning that we've got Toby.

As I've said before, not quite bloke down the pub, but not far off it.

So possibly 'bloke down the club'

As would I. But that hardly is a mark of a side that should be signing Toby Alderweireld

You say should be but he isn't the only decent defender in the world. If he can get more elsewhere he will go elsewhere and we will find another defender. Last year there was a meltdown because we lost Lovren who was the best centre half in the world! Last year we had no ambition because we let certain players leave. As for Clyne, if he doesn't want to stay, good riddance. What is the point of keeping a player who has an eye on moving on? He has the potential to be another Lovren anyway ;)

Amen to that SOG. You should know by now that Batman/Dulldays/Jamie will always be contrary just for the sake of it.

If CLyne plays like he did for the 2nd half of the season and for England then we have got a good deal: especially as he has 12 months left on his contract.

As for Toby......would be fantastic if we could sign him but won't be the end of the world if we don't.

Lets face it we sold Shaw for 30 million and got Bertrand in for a 1/3 of that fee - and most on here were slating Bertrand before he played a game for us.

The same person who told me about the keeper days before we signed him, told me this morning that we've got Toby.

As I've said before, not quite bloke down the pub, but not far off it.

How reliable would you say the person is?

I reckon we would be willing to pay more than Spurs with the plan of their new stadium having Levy pulling the purse strings. Also If United lose Dea Gea they're going after Loris, who won them many many points last season. Don't do it Toby pleeease! :(

So if we do keep him, is that a reminder that we could yet be a top 4-6 club? Because if Spurs are perceived to be a step up from us, this will be one in the eye for them that a player preferred to remain here instead of going to them.

I would like to keep him because he is a very good player, but if he chooses to go, experience of the past season's coming and goings illustrates that it is quite possible to replace him with somebody of equal or better ability. He might wish for the bright lights of London, he might wish to play with others who are his countrymen. But on the other side of the coin, he knows how good our defence has been with him and has forged a good partnership with Fonte. He might not have Clyne beside him, or Schneiderlin in front of him, but then again, I am sure that he must be confident in Koeman's ability to get the best out of a defence put together with players brought in by the club.

His predecessor Lovren is testament to how good a player might be here and how poorly they might fare elsewhere with a so-called glory team. Spurs' ability to recruit good players with hefty funds available did not produce anything like the results that we achieved spending considerably less. His coming to us on loan has given his career a massive boost and brought him to the attention of some top teams. Spurs are not enough of a step up and he would do better to stay here another season and then make the move higher up the hierarchy the following year.