SFC Awards 2015

Saint-Armstrong

Ralph can do what he wants. He has played his part in our success. He's walked into a different sport, moved his whole family to another country, into a transfer window whirlwind and has come out the other end having grown our brand. He's a man KL can trust and that counts for a lot more than most on here realise. Anyway, better stop going on - it's almost as long as one of Ralph's speeches.

He certainly can but people are still allowed to comment on it.

Ralph must have had a few, the motivational parts of his speech offset by his attempts at humour dying on their arse!

I do trust he is now genuine at least but he is even more comical then Dr Barry Gale at times.

Any snippets from those that attended?

Nothing hugely exciting, but seeing as you asked:

- Krueger told me he is definitely staying next season (there had been some suggestion in the Echo he may not as his contract was/is up this summer).

- Pretty obvious but in regard to some reports yesterday re Liverpool, Bertrand is not going anywhere and very happy to have signed here.

- Morgan said "we will see" when asked about his future and Toby again said his is down to Atletico.

- Clyne non commital when someone asked if he would be staying (what do people really expect them to say?)

- Long said apart from his own he wanted Bertrand's goal vs Palace as GOTS.

- Forster aiming to be back before Christmas. He mentioned October to someone on my table but seeing as he was limping on the lap of honour the other day that seems hopeful!

- Was sat pretty close to KL and could see that she was very humbled by the reception for her and her father. A lot of fans went to talk to her and whilst she doesn't crave the attention whatsoever, she seemed genuinely suprised that people wanted to thank her!

- JWP thinks Eng U21s have a great chance to win the U21 tournament and said of non PL players (from this season) to watch out for Alex Pritchard, Spurs midfielder who did well at Brentford this season. From that squad his main pal apart from the Saints/ex Saints is John Stones.

- Reed looking forward to the Toulon U20 tournament in the summer and said he (suprise suprise) that the Everton game was his season highlight, and he was quite emotional afterwards having made such an impact. Hopes to play more next season. He was at Arsenal until age 7 before joining us.

- Mane seemed genuinely suprised & pleased when I told him I thought he has been excellent this season. He seemed like a really good guy (although didnt follow the dresscode!)

- Tadic was back in Serbia apparently.

- I went to this last year also and there was a difference this year in the whole atmosphere in that I think everyone, players, fans and the staff including Reed and Krueger just feel there is more control over what is and will happen in the summer. Last time Poch & staff snuck out as soon as possible, Shaw spent half the night on his phone in the lobby and of course Lallana (who deservedly won all the awards) was in a difficult position of accepting the praise knowing he was going to push to leave.

Whilst pricey, a great evening and nice to be able to speak to the players you watch every week, especially after such a great season.

- Krueger told me he is definitely staying next season (there had been some suggestion in the Echo he may not as his contract was/is up this summer).

- Pretty obvious but in regard to some reports yesterday re Liverpool, Bertrand is not going anywhere and very happy to have signed here.

- Morgan said "we will see" when asked about his future and Toby again said his is down to Atletico.

- Clyne non commital when someone asked if he would be staying (what do people really expect them to say?)

- Forster aiming to be back before Christmas. He mentioned October to someone on my table but seeing as he was limping on the lap of honour the other day that seems hopeful!

- Was sat pretty close to KL and could see that she was very humbled by the reception for her and her father. A lot of fans went to talk to her and whilst she doesn't crave the attention whatsoever, she seemed genuinely suprised that people wanted to thank her!

- JWP thinks Eng U21s have a great chance to win the U21 tournament and said of non PL players (from this season) to watch out for Alex Pritchard, Spurs midfielder who did well at Brentford this season. From that squad his main pal apart from the Saints/ex Saints is John Stones.

- Reed looking forward to the Toulon U20 tournament in the summer and said he (suprise suprise) that the Everton game was his season highlight, and he was quite emotional afterwards having made such an impact. Hopes to play more next season. He was at Arsenal until age 7 before joining us.

- Mane seemed genuinely suprised & pleased when I told him I thought he has been excellent this season. He seemed like a really good guy (although didnt follow the dresscode!)

- I went to this last year also and there was a difference this year in the whole atmosphere in that I think everyone, players, fans and the staff including Reed and Krueger just feel there is more control over what is and will happen in the summer. Last time Poch & staff snuck out as soon as possible, Shaw spent half the night on his phone in the lobby and of course Lallana (who deservedly won all the awards) was in a difficult position of accepting the praise knowing he was going to push to leave.

Whilst pricey, a great evening and nice to be able to speak to the players you watch every week, especially after such a great season.

Cheers. Good info.

Is this all a corporate do or can individuals buy tickets? If so, how much were the tickets? It looks like a great evening.

Saint Armstrong, are you really typing all that out on the fly or are you using some sort of voice-recognition-to-WP type software and dictating it? I think we should be told, great effort either way, loved your NA stuff too.

And will continue to be so, based on what I've seen.

I don't know of many 19 year old defenders who can supplant an established Prem-level defender with over 200 professional caps under his belt, but if that's your standard for comparison, so be it :thumbup:

P.S More importantly, a big thank you to SaintArmstrong for his\her contribution. Top work.

I don't know of many 19 year old defenders who can supplant an established Prem-level defender with over 200 professional caps under his belt, but if that's your standard for comparison, so be it :thumbup:

P.S More importantly, a big thank you to SaintArmstrong for his\her contribution. Top work.

Part of his problem is that he's nowhere near as good as Shaw and a lot of people got it into their heads that because he was a Saints left back he'd be on the Bridge/Shaw production line, rather than treating him on his own merits. I'm treating him on his own merits, and I just think he doesn't suit our style and isn't quick or accurate enough with his passing choices, or quick enough to play the overlapping role full stop. Solid enough defensively most of the time though (in the limited opportunities he's had to show it), so he might be good enough in a different system if he can step up his passing accuracy.

Part of his problem is that he's nowhere near as good as Shaw and a lot of people got it into their heads that because he was a Saints left back he'd be on the Bridge/Shaw production line, rather than treating him on his own merits. I'm treating him on his own merits, and I just think he doesn't suit our style and isn't quick or accurate enough with his passing choices, or quick enough to play the overlapping role full stop. Solid enough defensively most of the time though (in the limited opportunities he's had to show it), so he might be good enough in a different system if he can step up his passing accuracy.

Fair enough, of course. I think you're broadly correct, he's a better defender than attacker. But again, he's 19, I'd rather a defender learn to perfect defending at an early age\first (rather than attacking). The first part of your paragraph does seem to be a common issue, doesn't it?! No doubt I've been guilty of it too. Ultimately, not all of the academy graduates making 1st team appearances are going to valued by other clubs at ~£20m...which means we might have a better chance of keeping them :p

Ralph made a whopping blunder last night by praising Fonte and Pelle achieving international caps.

Did Clyne not also do the same? Bit of an own goal me thinks????

He quite clearly referred to the context of their age as the reason for singling those two out.

No whopping blunder. Although he did say both their names incorrectly.

Ralph made a whopping blunder last night by praising Fonte and Pelle achieving international caps.

Did Clyne not also do the same? Bit of an own goal me thinks????

No, you are missing the point.

He was talking about being a club which improves players. Clyne has had a career of steady progress. Fonte and Pelle have improved at ages most have peaked and earned caps older than most.

No, you are missing the point.

He was talking about being a club which improves players. Clyne has had a career of steady progress. Fonte and Pelle have improved at ages most have peaked and earned caps older than most.

Yep. He was clearly referring to players getting international chances later in their careers.

as a Chairman of a Football Club with over 370 players, the job done in integrating old players,Paine and Le Tiss, is something that really impresses me.

As a Saints supporter of 54 years watching games , i never thought we would beat the Lawrie Mac years , proud to be wrong, brings a tear to my eyes

a real COMMUNITY CLUB

Is this all a corporate do or can individuals buy tickets? If so, how much were the tickets? It looks like a great evening.

Saint Armstrong, are you really typing all that out on the fly or are you using some sort of voice-recognition-to-WP type software and dictating it? I think we should be told, great effort either way, loved your NA stuff too.

All on the fly. Cheers for the comments, chaps.