Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

One or two getting very excited that it was ten years ago today that we lost 4-1 at Fatpipes.

I don't think I'd swap a handful of days out for a lifetime of superiority.

WTFILN - and for the next generation.

Even if I wasn't still in denial about it ever happening (never mind being there) I'd like to think we wouldn't even mention it if it was the other way around - though in the back of my head I may recall a "3-0 and Premier League top 4" thread back in December 2013...

One or two getting very excited that it was ten years ago today that we lost 4-1 at Fatpipes.

Two offside goals and one fluke. What was there for them to get excited about?

really !

Bad , bad day that was. :(

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/campaigns/pompey-4-saints-1-1-1218762

By the time 26 minutes were up, Pompey were 4-1 up. A goal every five minutes – even if one of them was at the wrong end – had Fratton Park shaking like never before.

The workmen who will knock down some of those stands in the next couple of years might have a slightly easier task now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was full of fight – but full of class too; class that suggests there'll be no lingering relegation fears next spring.

There might be no south-coast derby either on this evidence.

Edited by trousers

On the day the Jobsite deal extension was announced, Nick Gold from Jobsite in the second half of this video told the Pompey news that they are going to increase the amount of their branding at Fratton Park...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/video/business-and-money/pompey-sign-new-jobsite-deal-4186227891001

It still amazes me how Mark Catlin is a CEO of a multi million pound turnover company, he can barely string a coherant sentence together. He just sounds... (how should I put this nicely?)... thick and of course delusional which is a prerequisite to be connected with Pompey.

Catlin has a great CV:

* Director of a 4th division semi-professional Spanish side

* Marketing Director of Bury

On the day the Jobsite deal extension was announced, Nick Gold from Jobsite in the second half of this video told the Pompey news that they are going to increase the amount of their branding at Fratton Park...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/video/business-and-money/pompey-sign-new-jobsite-deal-4186227891001

It still amazes me how Mark Catlin is a CEO of a multi million pound turnover company, he can barely string a coherant sentence together. He just sounds... (how should I put this nicely?)... thick and of course delusional which is a prerequisite to be connected with Pompey.

Are The News incapable of producing a video that doesn't have the production values of a 1970s home cine movie?

#tinpot

Edited by trousers

They can only dream of being 34th in the country!

Lord T, you insult home cine movies...

I love the way that excuse for a film just fizzles out with muttered responses and a windy and resigned dissolve to black.

It just committed cinematic suicide, no note, nothing.

But we learn that they've built a commercial team that would rival any, in any of the leagues??....Really? Like that academy that was the envy of many Premier League clubs no doubt.

Let's just check out that claim....

Man Utd's kit and shirt sponsor deals - £122m a season.

Man City's Etihad deal - £80m a season.

pompey's jobsite deal - a tin of paint.

It's those sort of insane delusions of grandeur that remind us that they are so out of touch that they have no clue what is happening at the top of the game, or even just higher up the league at bigger clubs like Stevenage, Newport and Morecambe.

With that sort of talk pompey has become an irrelevant dinosaur - a little one, a minnowsaurus.

They think that any of their players who can control a ball in less than four touches is a future international, whenever they take more than 300 anywhere they think they're more passionate than anyone else, a manager who wins three on the bounce is a potential England boss and if they sell 100 raffle tickets they think they are effing Camelot.

It's the history that counts

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/anniversary-of-pompey-s-famous-demolition-derby-1-6707409

In another ten years they'll still be going on about it

It is utterly bizarre they've put that one game on such a pedestal. Are they not aware of the colossal gap between the two clubs in terms of infrastructure, academy and league status? It is likely this season will see the biggest ever gap in finishing league positions between the two clubs since Pompey were founded in 1898. A large section of their fanbase remain in a dream world of delusion and myth, and the club is now being run by some of these people.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Its utterly bizarre they've put that one game on such a pedestal. Are they not aware of the colossal gap between the two clubs in terms of infrastructure, academy and league status? It is likely this season will see the biggest ever gap in finishing league positions between the two clubs.

When you're a drowning man you clutch at any straws....

You wouldn't have to look hard to find skates who would tell you that it was worth it, though.

You'd struggle to find many who aren't overly stubborn and delusional to admit it wasn't worth it. I've just seen my Facebook where I'm friends with 2 skates. They've updated their status and posted pictures of the day 10 years ago as if it's still a big deal. Bless 'em.

They seem to miss a more simple point - that the 4-1 team they had sums up everything wrong with them, and the key to their collapse. Mercenaries they never paid for, who drained the club with wages and left without giving a fck about pompey's future. If THAT is their best memory, it's even sadder than the average lower league 2 club.

28-fingers-in-ears.jpg

They seem to miss a more simple point - that the 4-1 team they had sums up everything wrong with them, and the key to their collapse. Mercenaries they never paid for, who drained the club with wages and left without giving a fck about pompey's future. If THAT is their best memory, it's even sadder than the average lower league 2 club.

No, apparently their greatest achievement is a draw.

The only way they will shut up about it is if we beat them. We really need some luck in the cups next season.

Um, if we qualify for the Europa we'll be right past the first 2 rounds of the League Cup without playing, so they'll have to win 2 matches in either cup contest to draw us.

It's the history that counts

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/anniversary-of-pompey-s-famous-demolition-derby-1-6707409

In another ten years they'll still be going on about it

That game , and the subsequent bragging rights hurt a lot 10 years ago. 8 years ago the pain started to heal. 7 years ago it had fully healed. Now? I just feel a bit sorry for them that its all they've got to cling to. Bless.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-to-step-up-pursuit-of-cook-1-6706899

Are they really going to pay the £150,000 to activate his release clause? :lol:

The issue of Pompey funding such a sum is an intriguing one, with the solution most likely resting on some of the board dipping into their pockets.

...you have to wonder if that's going to be a £150k donation, or if those dipping into their pockets will be getting a bigger percentage of the club. Remind me where PST are with their critical shareholding these days? We know they've long since dipped below the 50% mark.

I think they were somewhere around the 48% mark?...I'm guessing that a further £150k could kick a 5% hole in that? Statisticians feel free to correct those figures.

It does beg the question why a debt-free and fully solvent business that is on a stable financial footing requires outside funding....

Or does the club board not actually care about the Trust percentage and just likes the idea of someone else stumping up cash on a risky managerial appointment?

Either way, a bit odd to mention HNW individuals chipping in.

That game , and the subsequent bragging rights hurt a lot 10 years ago. 8 years ago the pain started to heal. 7 years ago it had fully healed. Now? I just feel a bit sorry for them that its all they've got to cling to. Bless.

Remember this game from 2002/03?

Great goal from Pahars but you barely hear any Saints fans bang on about this one. Same for the FA Cup 3-0 in the mid nineties, I'm fairly sure no-one talked about that even the season afterwards.

You just know, though, that Pompey fans are going to cling to their 4-1s forever and a day. That, and a history that 99% of them weren't alive to experience, is all they have.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-to-step-up-pursuit-of-cook-1-6706899

Are they really going to pay the £150,000 to activate his release clause? :lol:

The issue of Pompey funding such a sum is an intriguing one, with the solution most likely resting on some of the board dipping into their pockets.

Anyone got some tippex? Just need to adjust the trust percentage .....Again.

You'd struggle to find many who aren't overly stubborn and delusional to admit it wasn't worth it. I've just seen my Facebook where I'm friends with 2 skates. They've updated their status and posted pictures of the day 10 years ago as if it's still a big deal. Bless 'em.

Had a Skate work mate who put up a picture of the front cover of the DVD they have of that day. Then someone else commented saying they have upgraded theirs to HD and watch it at least once every couple of weeks. Wow, just wow.

Had a Skate work mate who put up a picture of the front cover of the DVD they have of that day. Then someone else commented saying they have upgraded theirs to HD and watch it at least once every couple of weeks. Wow, just wow.

Funny thing is that I did not hear any reference to this 'famous' anniversary today on the media. Then again, I didn't hear any reference to an obscure lower mid table club of League 2. In fact Tranmere Rovers got more publicity.

Anyone know what time the battling band of plucky heroes are being officially welcomed back from Mansfield?

I need to go along the M27 tomorrow and I don't want to get stuck in the carnival like I did after they took a point off Cheltenham - I got caught up behind the open top bus and it took hours - it was like Notting Hill meets Rio, but better.

Obviously.

Anyone know what time the battling band of plucky heroes are being officially welcomed back from Mansfield?

I need to go along the M27 tomorrow and I don't want to get stuck in the carnival like I did after they took a point off Cheltenham - I got caught up behind the open top bus and it took hours - it was like Notting Hill meets Rio, but better.

Obviously.

Definately one to avoid, what with the mahoosive party to celebrate the fact that, going into the last game of the season, it is still mathematically possible, if all other results go in their favour, for them to equal their highest-ever league finish since the formation of the club. Now, wouldn't that be something worth celebrating?

Only the skates would be so petty as to try and celebrate that. Tbh it strikes me that they do this because they have absolutely nothing else to hold on to. Their poor decision making as condemned them to a stadium that is falling apart, with in chance of proper redevelopment any time soon now there is a large structure next door, effectively locking hem in.

The squad needs at least one season probably two of development before they can think of promotion and even then the small stadium limits their revenue.

I said it back then and I stand by my words - they would have been better off folding and starting again outside the league. Instead they chose to jump through loopholes, wriggling their way out of paying their creditors all to keep 'league status' as if that actually means something. They bang on about 'history' as if that somehow means they are worth more somehow.

The whole idea of a 'silent' massive pool of untapped fans is an utter phallacy- they believe the sound bites from the media where the odd player or manager has mentioned the noise at the kipper shed (don't forget this will go if it gets redeveloped because of the physical layout of the new ground just like the difference between the Dell and St Mary's.

It's pathetic. I know plenty of skate fans and most of them despair of the rabid minority who believe the hype peddled by the local media and the numpties currently running the place. I've got a notion that the money is going to run out again soon- the hnw's are not a bottomless pit and they are going to be back beyond square one. There is no millionaire waiting in the wings to save them - there's nothing worth saving.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})