Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

9 points left for them to play for and the playoffs now 12 points away.

Mind the gap

Ah well, the 4th division for them again next season !

Fortunately that's where they like it most, you know, real football and all that :)

With all due respect, they are just a bunch of c"nts !

In thirty years' time we will have to remind our children that the original Hampshire rivalry was between Southampton and Portsmouth. I can imagine the fanzines now.....(insert scoobie-doo future image & music)

Match Preview Saturday April 15th 2045 - South Coast end of an era for football rivalry.

Back in 2015, Eastleigh and Portsmouth didn't exist as a football rivalry and the derogatory term WERM (commonly pronounced "Worm") hadn't been coined.

The acronym WERM, is believed to stand for the Working Eastleigh Railway Men. According to Portsmouth legend, there was a railwaymen's strike and the Eastleigh workers had crossed a Portsmouth based picket line. Despite historical evidence to the contrary, from there on in, the club and the town, were known as "wormers".

The Wormers and Tossers derby became one of the fiercest derbies in football rivalry. Wormers being the aforementioned Eastleigh, whilst Tossers became the Eastleigh nickname for the fans and club that is Portsmouth FC. Despite the 'provenance' around the term Wormers (or Wermers as those in the know are quick to correct), nobody quite understands where the nickname Tossers came from.

Rumour has it, one source of the term may have been a disgruntled former newshound of the Portsmouth News, a certain N. Allen, who coined the phrase shortly after being dismissed for an in appropriate moment with, the now disgraced, Tory MP Penny Mormoney. For legal reasons, we cannot publish that story. The debate rages as to whether Allen coined the phrase "you're all a bunch of tossers" after being issued his marching orders, or whether the former Member of Parliament started the trend with the now infamous line, "toss us your shirt", after that unfortunate incident in the Guildhall square. Either way, the cap seemed to fit for the Wermers and from that day forward the Wermers and Tossers derby was spawned.

Given the likely outcome from Saturday's fixture, with Eastleigh being promoted back to the National League Division Two (the old Conference South Division) and Portsmouth being relegated, it may be a few years yet before these two old enemies get to lock horns.

For Portsmouth, it will be their lowest league position since the reformed, fan-owned, Portsmouth FC (2021) Ltd organisation re-entered the non-leagues in the autumn of 2021. They did rise as far as the Football League Division Two, before falling foul of a points penalty in 2028 due to financial irregularities, which saw them relegated from the football league.

Should the Wormers and Tossers derby become a thing of the past, perhaps Portsmouth's new rivals will become Sholing FC, who are based just a few miles from their former rivals in Eastleigh.

But with Sholing boasting a newly built, all-seater stadium, attracting 5,000 crowds each week, it's hard to see the Tossers having much to crow about.

(Scoobie-doo music ends)

In thirty years' time we will have to remind our children that the original Hampshire rivalry was between Southampton and Portsmouth. I can imagine the fanzines now.....(insert scoobie-doo future image & music)

Match Preview Saturday April 15th 2045 - South Coast end of an era for football rivalry.

Back in 2015, Eastleigh and Portsmouth didn't exist as a football rivalry and the derogatory term WERM (commonly pronounced "Worm") hadn't been coined.

The acronym WERM, is believed to stand for the Working Eastleigh Railway Men. According to Portsmouth legend, there was a railwaymen's strike and the Eastleigh workers had crossed a Portsmouth based picket line. Despite historical evidence to the contrary, from there on in, the club and the town, were known as "wormers".

The Wormers and Tossers derby became one of the fiercest derbies in football rivalry. Wormers being the aforementioned Eastleigh, whilst Tossers became the Eastleigh nickname for the fans and club that is Portsmouth FC. Despite the 'provenance' around the term Wormers (or Wermers as those in the know are quick to correct), nobody quite understands where the nickname Tossers came from.

Rumour has it, one source of the term may have been a disgruntled former newshound of the Portsmouth News, a certain N. Allen, who coined the phrase shortly after being dismissed for an in appropriate moment with, the now disgraced, Tory MP Penny Mormoney. For legal reasons, we cannot publish that story. The debate rages as to whether Allen coined the phrase "you're all a bunch of tossers" after being issued his marching orders, or whether the former Member of Parliament started the trend with the now infamous line, "toss us your shirt", after that unfortunate incident in the Guildhall square. Either way, the cap seemed to fit for the Wermers and from that day forward the Wermers and Tossers derby was spawned.

Given the likely outcome from Saturday's fixture, with Eastleigh being promoted back to the National League Division Two (the old Conference South Division) and Portsmouth being relegated, it may be a few years yet before these two old enemies get to lock horns.

For Portsmouth, it will be their lowest league position since the reformed, fan-owned, Portsmouth FC (2021) Ltd organisation re-entered the non-leagues in the autumn of 2021. They did rise as far as the Football League Division Two, before falling foul of a points penalty in 2028 due to financial irregularities, which saw them relegated from the football league.

Should the Wormers and Tossers derby become a thing of the past, perhaps Portsmouth's new rivals will become Sholing FC, who are based just a few miles from their former rivals in Eastleigh.

But with Sholing boasting a newly built, all-seater stadium, attracting 5,000 crowds each week, it's hard to see the Tossers having much to crow about.

(Scoobie-doo music ends)

Beautiful.

(Scoobie-doo music ends)

Fantastic!

According to the ever reliable Metro' date=' Bagpuss is bookies favourite at 6/1![/quote']

Nah...he's ruled himself out....definitely....100%....no chance whatsoever guv...no ambiguity in the slightest....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/harry-redknapp-rules-out-pompey-return-1-6690520

‘Would I be interested in the job? I don’t think so, I am enjoying the break at the moment.

‘I will wait until the end of the season and see what comes up.

‘I still follow Portsmouth, they were the happiest times for me, I loved every minute when I was there, but I wouldn’t see that happening really,

‘I really don’t want to dive into anything, I’m going to wait to see how I feel in the summer and see if anything comes up that interests me. If not I won’t bother.’

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/holloway-flattered-by-pompey-link-1-6689500

Allen headline: "Holloway flattered by Pompey link"

What Holloway actually said: "It is always very flattering and very nice whenever fans link you to jobs"

So, he wasn't flattered by being linked with Pompey, per se, he's flattered when linked to any club.

:mcinnes:

Oh I'd love it if Beatts got the job - think of the carnage he could cause! :D

I may be completely wrong...but I happened to involved in something at work today, the details of which I can't disclose, but which has lead me to think that this may not be as far fetched as it seems. It would certainly be funny to see the skates reaction.

I may be completely wrong...but I happened to involved in something at work today, the details of which I can't disclose, but which has lead me to think that this may not be as far fetched as it seems. It would certainly be funny to see the skates reaction.

Win/win for us.

If he fails then it's a simple case of agent Beatts, mission accomplished.

If he succeeds and takes the buggers up, then we at least have the warm glow of them being bailed out by, and forever in the debt of, a genuine member of the Southampton Company Union Men.

They won't appoint beattie as manager.

From POL

Here's who Banker AKA Corp Ho wants

My top 5 would be (in no particular order although Cook would probably be my first choice)

Paul Cook, Phil Brown, Gary Johnson, Nigel Adkins and Brian McDermott. Holloway just can't make my mind up on. Really don't want Mad Dog, Waddock or Ferguson

I'm a slight bit concerned for some you Scummer apologists on here that are willing to turn a blind eye.

Aside from the obvious desire to prevent any further corruption of our football club's proverbial gene pool*, do you lot realize how hard it will be to live with the possibility that it was a Scummer that drives our club upwards?!

No fücking Scummers!!! Especially at the managerial helm!

:lol:

Meanwhile, seems like the blue few want to give us some lessons about finances...

They continue to be a rich man's play thing and never win anything meaningful.

We own our own club and are very much financially stable now. Probably the most independently stable club in all the leagues.

I see they posted a profit for the 1st time sine they went pop, what was that 7-8 years ago? it took us less than 2 years, :finger:.

But what do they then go and do, get a £20m loan from Katrina:faceslap:

That's brains for you!!

They cant match our trophy cabinet and now they cant match our ability to run a sustainable club, I just wish it had taken them 4 years and us 1, 4-1 seems to have a familiar but nice ring to it.

From POL

Here's who Banker AKA Corp Ho wants

:lol:

Meanwhile, seems like the blue few want to give us some lessons about finances...

As hilarious as all of that is... take a moment to PYSL at this:

1844423116.jpg

LOL, not even in sight, forever in the shadow of a Tesco Express. Robinson will be delighted no doubt (£££), and I 4 - 1 hope the tarmac and guttering renovations is worth it!

But just look at that car park.

The brightly coloured tarmac means you can see it from the air, and for those flying over, it exudes money, and screams: "Look at us, we can afford top quality tarmac."

Just don't look at the rest of the ground.

Is it my dodgy eyes, or perhaps an optical illusion, but that store appears to have a bigger surface area than the ground.

all I can see is a rickety old football stadium being squeezed into a tiny space with zero room for expansion.

Whatever supermarket takes that space will want a lot more parking as well, I wonder where that will come from.

But just look at that car park.

The brightly coloured tarmac means you can see it from the air, and for those flying over, it exudes money, and screams: "Look at us, we can afford top quality tarmac."

Just don't look at the rest of the ground.

Is it my dodgy eyes, or perhaps an optical illusion, but that store appears to have a bigger surface area than the ground.

It's "mac", not "tarmac". It's the tar-free variety, environmentally much more friendly, and only about 10% of the price of a proper car park. This time next year the phew will need a snorkel to get through the puddles.

Phase two is to lay out a tarpaulin in the car park so that passing air passengers think they have a pool.

If my club was doing that badly I think I might just button it and suffer in silence, that approach has more dignity and makes you look like you don't have mental issues.

But without that delusion this thread would burn out.

Phase two is to lay out a tarpaulin in the car park so that passing air passengers think they have a pool.

Not sure there's even a need to do that

article-0-18EA505200000578-55_964x701.jpg

Yet again RB, the bestest, most forward-thinkingest are way ahead of you.

all I can see is a rickety old football stadium being squeezed into a tiny space with zero room for expansion.

Oh contraire mon ami....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/business/local-business/tesco-superstore-by-fratton-park-starts-to-take-shape-1-6689857

Walked and cycled round it the other day and it certainly has change the area totally. I was surprised how much land behind the north stand we've aquired and behind the fratton end which will definitely provide room for expansion. I think the first priority has to be building a new north stand with corporate boxes. This would also increase capacity to 25k if we've been given 3m as part of this project how much would the new north stand cost? I would estimate at around £10m so we need to find £7m can this be done by sponsorship / commercial deals with our sponsors? Or a lon term loan from the football league maybe

1844423116.jpg

So, does this mean that Tesco have actually confirmed they are going to open a new store on the site is Robinson going ahead with the construction on a speculative basis?

Wouldn't we have seen some kind of fanfare announcement by now if Tesco had indeed given the green light, as that would trigger the release of their massive (:lol:) 7 figure stadium development fund?

1844423116.jpg

Walked and cycled round it the other day and it certainly has change the area totally. I was surprised how much land behind the north stand we've aquired and behind the fratton end which will definitely provide room for expansion. I think the first priority has to be building a new north stand with corporate boxes. This would also increase capacity to 25k if we've been given 3m as part of this project how much would the new north stand cost? I would estimate at around £10m so we need to find £7m can this be done by sponsorship / commercial deals with our sponsors? Or a lon term loan from the football league maybe

Not being that familiar with the Cesspit can someone please indicate to me the alignment of said picture so I can divulge location of said massive land behind the North stand.

Ah I have it now, North is to the left of that photo (must clear my google maps cache now), the car park is behind the North stand and the only bit of Tarmac, IIRC, is in the shadow of the "Grand Old Stand".

Meanwhile the Fratton end is now abutting the Tesco superstore so no expansion there. Surely they should now call the Fratton End the Tesco end!!

decisions decisions!!!

Alan Knight - the pompey legend - who, like the three previous pompey legends to manage the club, will be sheite, or

Nigel Adkins - who judging by the comments from our piscine friends, will complete divide the fan base.

There is only one outcome of which we can be certain - much lolage for us.

Happy days.

Not being that familiar with the Cesspit can someone please indicate to me the alignment of said picture so I can divulge location of said massive land behind the North stand.

Ah I have it now, North is to the left of that photo (must clear my google maps cache now), the car park is behind the North stand and the only bit of Tarmac, IIRC, is in the shadow of the "Grand Old Stand".

Meanwhile the Fratton end is now abutting the Tesco superstore so no expansion there. Surely they should now call the Fratton End the Tesco end!!

Yes, that's looking SSE. Goldsmith Avenue runs down from the top right by the red building and over the roundabout. Rodney Road runs in a similar alignment just off to the left. Fratton Way runs across the phot at the bottom. B&Q is just off picture right of bottom.

So from those comments, the masterplan is that a business with a turnover of £6M, that can't currently fill the ground, should spend £10M on increasing capacity to provide 7,000 additional seats that will remain unsold...

This money could apparently be loaned to them by the Football League.

Their 10% of sensible fans must despair when the nutters start typing or talking.

They need to do some sort of basic business training down there, it's like Stevie Wonder gobbing off about your wallpaper choice.

You can understand why the directors don't listen to the fans, most of them are absolutely clueless about any subjects other than flytipping from a moving Transit, how to clean your tooth, or the best way to cook a hedgehog.

Alan Knight - yeah, that would be progress!

So, does this mean that Tesco have actually confirmed they are going to open a new store on the site is Robinson going ahead with the construction on a speculative basis?

Wouldn't we have seen some kind of fanfare announcement by now if Tesco had indeed given the green light, as that would trigger the release of their massive (:lol:) 7 figure stadium development fund?

They've already had all the money they are going to get - it's what paid for the sliver of tarmac in the shadow of the North stand.

There will be no more money - unless of course the generous football league will give them a long term loan!!

Wasn't there mention of £6m in one of the comments on the links above.

I think it's safe to assume that if you use the term `seven figure sum', the actual amount is less than £2m, and most likely less than £1.5m. I dare say the term `multi million' or `several million' would be used is it was close or more than £2m.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})