Champions League - Can we do it?

Saint Garrett

Had a look at our 'rivals' for a European place. Fixtures below. Teams against the "tougher" teams highlighted. Obviously the relegated teams will pull out some big results, as that always happens but I certainly feel it's ours to lose! Will keep this updated during the run in.

Current Table

3 Arsenal 30 27 60

4 Man Utd 30 25 59

5 Liverpool 30 12 54

6 Southampton 30 21 53

7 Tottenham 30 5 53

8 Swansea 30 -4 43

9 West Ham 30 3 42

Arsenal

More of the same from Arsenal. Arsene Wenger's job has been questioned again, albeit with the volume turned up and banners held aloft at matches, but his side still remain in the hunt for the top-four spot that will keep the till ticking over. Dazzling in attack at times, utterly inept in defence at others. The usual fare, really.

REASONS THEY WILL MAKE THE TOP FOUR

Quite simply: Alexis Sanchez. His smooth adjustment to English football has been a triumph. One of only a few world-class players in the Premier League, the Chilean has made a mockery of the wisdom that foreign imports require time to settle. Twelve goals, seven assists, and a style to thrill, he is the frontrunner for end-of-season awards.

REASONS THEY WON’T MAKE THE TOP FOUR

Quite simply: their defence, which veers into shambolic territory all too often. Per Mertesacker looked nothing like a man with 104 Germany caps in the defeats by Stoke and Southampton, while Wenger still seems to have a blind spot for the need of an imposing midfielder to screen.

Arsenal v Liverpool

Burnley v Arsenal

Arsenal v Sunderland

Arsenal v Chelsea

Hull v Arsenal

Arsenal v Swansea

Man Utd v Arsenal

Arsenal v West Brom

Manchester United

Patchy would be a nice way to describe Van Gaal’s side so far this season. Rarely have displays ventured into the ‘complete’ category, largely United have stuttered their way through. Even when winning six on the spin performances failed to convince. A huge injury list hasn’t helped, nor has a carousel of formations, with the jury still out on 3-5-2.

A transfer booty of no fixed amount would allow Van Gaal to buy reinforcements this month, to add to his squad already bulging with expensive recruits. A team with the greatest value assembled in history should make the top four. A lack of European distractions mean a clear advantage over the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, and Tottenham too.

Defensively, United are vulnerable. How many more points would have been dropped had David de Gea not resembled a human magnet, attracted to shot after shot? Possession is too laboured and too many players are failing to reach potential. Angel di Maria has not wowed since September. David Moyes had the same number of points in his campaign at this stage and we know where United ended up.

Man Utd v Aston Villa

Man Utd v Man City

Chelsea v Man Utd

Everton v Man Utd

Man Utd v West Brom

Crystal Palace v Man Utd

Man Utd v Arsenal

Hull v Man Utd

Liverpool

A fall more pronounced than many predicted, even in the awareness that Luis Suarez is one of the best players to pull on the red shirt in the club’s history. A recent infusion of solidity has cobbled results together – 11 points from 15 available – to see Brendan Rodgers’ team on 10 points fewer than this stage last season.

Rodgers managed it last season, so knows how to generate momentum, even if he has been called into question more deeply than previously in his career. The team are showing signs of improvement and their current form would see them make up lost ground. Raheem Sterling’s return from a mid-season holiday should provide a further boost. Daniel Sturridge is getting closer too.

Questions remain over their defence, which has appeared disorganised at times, while scoring from open play has not been frequent enough yet. It is left to be seen how much disruption Steven Gerrard’s long goodbye brings to performances. Do not discount the destabilising effect that may have as the games count down. Five points and a goal difference of 11 needs to be made up to reach United in fourth, while playing more fixtures.

Arsenal v Liverpool

Liverpool v Newcastle

Hull v Liverpool

West Brom v Liverpool

Liverpool v QPR

Chelsea v Liverpool

Liverpool v Crystal Palace

Stoke v Liverpool

Southampton

More continued march than meltdown, Southampton regrouped from the loss of their head coach and several star players last summer to a position of increased strength. Most impressive has been their defence, the tightest in the division, and their bounce back from a slump of four successive losses in December to gain 13 points from the last 15 available.

Koeman’s smarts make an overwhelming case. He is tactically excellent and speaks with supreme confidence. That is bound to engender self-belief among his squad. The team are talented enough too, without a weak spot to speak of. Fraser Forster, Jose Fonte, Morgan Schneiderlin and Graziano Pelle is one fine spine.

Unfamiliarity with the race being run. Never in the Premier League era have they looked like challenging the roped-off VIP area that leads to Champions League football. Sadio Mane’s injury and possible Africa Cup of Nations involvement has come at the wrong time, while Pelle will want to rediscover his scoring touch soon – two goals in his last 12 games.

Everton v Southampton

Southampton v Hull

Stoke v Southampton

Southampton v Spurs

Sunderland v Southampton

Leicester v Southampton

Southampton v Aston Villa

Man City v Southampton

Spurs

Danger of serious underachievement averted by a fondness for a 2-1 scoreline, Spurs have exhibited a stronger mentality than in recent years. Harry Kane’s rise to prominence has been heart-warming and essential in equal measure, culminating in that stunning 5-3 victory over Chelsea that is Mauricio Pochettino's high point in charge.

Pochettino is gradually implementing his preferred high-pressing style that worked well at Southampton, and has found a line-up he likes. Kane has proved he is the real deal with a continued scoring streak and performances to match: 17 goals in all competitions this season. Christian Eriksen is producing his best stuff too.

Were Kane to get injured it is difficult to see where Spurs win games. Roberto Soldado is, well, Roberto Soldado and Emmanuel Adebayor has never recovered from that voodoo curse. Their form at White Hart Lane threatens to be an achilles heal too, having lost to Liverpool, West Brom, Newcastle, and Stoke already. Fixture congestion might also hamper.

Burnley v Spurs

Spurs v Aston Villa

Newcastle v Spurs

Southampton v Spurs

Spurs v Man City

Stoke v Spurs

Spurs v Hull

Everton v Spurs

West Ham

Above and beyond expectations, West Ham recruited marvellously in the summer to reshape the team and alter style. Diafra Sakho has brought pace and edge, Alex Song is a classy presence in midfield, and the new two full backs have aided improvement too. Victories over Liverpool and Manchester City have been the standout moments.

Stewart Downing is experiencing the kind of renaissance reserved for Matthew McConaughey in a central role, while Andy Carroll is back to provide an alternative mode of attack when required. His strike against Swansea was a reminder of what he can do. Sam Allardyce is proud of his ability to change tactics to cater to opponents and big teams can be beaten, particularly at Upton Park.

A lack of experience in this rarified air will count against many in Allardyce’s squad, and a current run of no wins in four threatens to worsen with matches against Liverpool, United, Southampton, and Tottenham up soon. Their ambitions depend on that sequence. Friction between Allardyce and David Sullivan, transmitted through social media and via the Wilfried Bony fallout, could threaten harmony.

Leicester v West Ham

West Ham v Stoke

Man City v West Ham

QPR v West Ham

West Ham v Burnley

Aston Villa v West Ham

West Ham v Everton

Newcastle v West Ham

Edited by Saint Garrett

Still think it is a huge ask. Arsenal just always seem to creep home somehow, plus this year they have a truly World Class game-changer in Sanchez who can dig them out of holes. I'm not sure if they have had that the last couple of years.

I think we are in the race, and we certainly have a fair chance Ultimately, I'm a Saints fan so pessimism is strongly engrained. I'll be delighted if we make it, but certainly don't expect it and won't be overly disappointed should we miss out.

I still think being where we are at the moment is brilliant, and I'll just enjoy us doing well whilst we are. Anything could yet happen.

It will be very difficult to keep this going right until the end, but I think the team are capable of doing it.

What is in our favour is that most of the sides that could beat us to 4th have been so poor defensively and they all have to play against Chelsea, Man Utd & Man City who you simply don't get anything from if you can't defend properly.

Still can't quite believe this is happening - still take a photo of the league table each and every week.

It would be amazing if we made it - to be honest I would love it if anyone outside of the 'conventional' top 4 made it - the footballing hierarchy could do with a shake up

Everton could well be in the relegation zone by the time we play them! Should be aiming for three points there for definite.

They'll sort themselves out. Their start has probably meant a top half finish is the best they can hope for, but they're a good side. They will win more than they lose in the final half of the season, but they've given themselves too much to do in terms of being a threat for us. Still will be one of our hardest remaining away's.

They'll sort themselves out. Their start has probably meant a top half finish is the best they can hope for, but they're a good side. They will win more than they lose in the final half of the season, but they've given themselves too much to do in terms of being a threat for us. Still will be one of our hardest remaining away's.

I'm really not so sure, they look a shambles right now. Good point against City but I think they'll continue the slide over the next few games.

I know we did a number on Man U but no away game is a gimme imo. If we're in and around the top 4 placings with 3 games to go I'll be bricking it against Leicester, especially if they're fighting for their life at the other end.

We're going to drop silly points at some stage, just have to hope the other teams do as well.

Still can't quite believe this is happening - still take a photo of the league table each and every week.

It would be amazing if we made it - to be honest I would love it if anyone outside of the 'conventional' top 4 made it - the footballing hierarchy could do with a shake up

Concur with this. If we were to fade away, and West Ham (who seem to be the most likely) made a strong run I'd absolutely cheer them on. I want someone to crack it, though clearly the ideal is Saints being the one to break that stranglehold.

It's sure going to be interesting, we need a good transfer window (a couple in and no serious departures) combined with good luck both in terms of result and injuries. If all that happens just maybe we can do it which would be one hell of an achievment for a club of our size with the budgetry constraints that go with it and the massive turn over in the summer.

Personally I'm living in hope rather than expectation and just enjoying the esperience of being in the mix at this point in the season, god knows what happens in the summer qualify or not it's going to be a bit of a watershed in terms of the team.

Apart from Spurs of course.

Personally think we can make it but will just call short. We'll be 5th or 6th. That would still be an incredible achievement all things considered and something that we should all be proud of.

a certain ex chairman said we could make it. glad you agree with him

We can make the CL this season, of course we can, trouble is we can't take any more injuries at CB for the next few weeks, we'll also need opportunist goals like yesterday's when the going is a bit tough. Still think we'll make 4th though.

Ok I think the world is broken. Windows has a more positive take on things than me. I'm scared.

just glad you agree with him that champions league can be done, with saints!!!

We wouldn't have got if he'd still been Here as no one would have left, in the summer we'd have spunked £15m on someone from serie A who doesn't want to be here and Poch would have stayed so we wouldn't have Koeman. Everyone would right now be emploring Poch to play a weakened team Wednesday night so we can overtake Liverpool in 8th.

We wouldn't have got if he'd still been Here as no one would have left, we'd have spunked £15m on someone from serie A who doesn't want to be here and Poch would have stayed so we wouldn't have Koeman. Everyone would right now be emploring Poch to play a weakened team so we can overtake Liverpool in 8th.

either way, he said we could do it. and you laughed and called every loonies who thought it could be done (I did, too)

either way, he said we could do it. and you laughed and called every loonies who thought it could be done (I did, too)

Yep you're right I did and will be happy to be wrong should that be the case when the final whistle blows at the Ethiad In May. It proves though that the success of this club did not depend on him, the ambition didn't go when he did and this club was not just about him, which so many believed was the case.

Edited by Turkish

just glad you agree with him that champions league can be done, with saints!!!

Not really sure what points you're trying to score there, a lot of people didn't believe it could be done because most people didn't expect the fairly unusual combination of things that've happened this season in terms of the teams that are usually in the champions league positions.

Personally i agree with Turkish i think we'll finish just short in the end, which'll be a shame but not the end of the world, the question is is this a change in the top teams or just a one year blip that'll be re-adjusted next season.

Sensible money would suggest the later, which means we'll probably not ever have a chance like this again.

My estimation has always been that if it all does fall down, it won't be in the matches against the big sides with the pressure off, but in the next run of fixtures where we really need to be collecting at least five wins out of seven at an absolute bear minimum.

Going away to the likes of Newcastle, Stoke, Everton, Sunderland and West Brom not just having to win, but in situations where your opponents, good though they are, are actually happy to hold you to a draw at home, is a test that we'll be very unfamiliar with.

This is the period of the season where Arsenal know how to deal with that mental pressure and kick on. As must we.

Looks like our games against WestHam, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton are going to fairly instrumental...

With West ham, Spurs and Liverpool all having to come to St Marys this could get very interesting. Hopefully spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal's European commitments might mean dropped points as well.

There's still a long way to go though, i think to have any chance of CL qualification we need to be lucky injury wise and hope Arsenal or Man U have a bit of a crisis.

I don't think anyone realistically thought that we would be in with a shout this season but who also would have thought that the likes of United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham would have been so poor (relatively)?

9 points above where we were this time last season. So, a quick guess-ti-mate would say we should finish 9/10 points above where we did last season - 6th. :uhoh:

Why if we're 9 points in advance after just over half the matches should we only be 9 points ahead at the end of the season?

Logic says that we'll be 38/21x 9 points ahead doesn't it ? ie 16 points more and a total of 73. Don't think we finished last season particularly well after JRod's injury either.

Yes, with the right transfers this month and staying clear of injury. Elia was a good start, cover where we needed it and at the right time. A top striker and centre back cover and we could be there. I still worry whether we can cope losing Forster, that is the injury/suspension that could derail our chances. No disrespect to Kelvin of course, who's done so much for us, but we're now a level or two above him.

With West ham, Spurs and Liverpool all having to come to St Marys this could get very interesting. Hopefully spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal's European commitments might mean dropped points as well.
Liverpool has their midweek Europa League games against Besiktas before and after playing us.

Will be curious to see what the path they focus on to get to Europe next year --- EPL top 4 or Europa League Champions?

Liverpool has their midweek Europa League games against Besiktas before and after playing us.

Will be curious to see what the path they focus on to get to Europe next year --- EPL top 4 or Europa League Champions?

Neither. Its all about the FA Cup for them.

Did you know the final is on Stevie G's birthday. :rolleyes:

The sooner the Europa league kicks off the better.

Does anyone know if the winners of the Europa League's Champions League place takes up fourth spot? To see Liverpool or Tottenham rob us of it that way would be absolutely soul-crushing...

I think it was covered in another thread that if the winner of the Champs league is out side of the top 4 then we have 5 teams in the Champs League.

I think it was covered in another thread that if the winner of the Champs league is out side of the top 4 then we have 5 teams in the Champs League.

Only if English teams win both the Champion's League and the Europa League and both finish outside the top four will the fourth place team be bumped into Europa.