Liverpool vs SAINTS Build Up & Match Thread

nta786

Presser from Ron

We had a good week in terms of injurys after knocks from the leicester game

looks like all players are available apart from Long, Stek is back for selection

Long is progressing well, the weekend is too soon for him. Hope he is back next weekend

we are going well, we had a difficult start

we had a fast start with european football

we have had some good wins and a couple of defeats

we are at a good level but that is to be expected. we showed against chelsea, we know we are hard to beat if we play at our level

Asked about klopp

lot of attention from the press. It is not easy as a new manager need time

was surprised with their start against spurs. good high pressing, this is different from liverpool

he needs time to put his ideas across. Lots of attention because it is Liverpool

He will find every weekend that it is very intensive. You have to be good every week. any team can beat you in this league

No break mid season and he needs to use his squad

(more questions on klopp)

Some players will be happy with him, so may not be

new manager will bring new system in

it is not easy for him to make a difference in 2 weeks

we are confident. We know how we will play. We have to play at our normal level. we must be hard to beat

not surprised that VvD has settled well. Otherwise it would have been crazy money to spend on him

Bad news about Johan Cruyff

he is my favourite coach. I played many years under him. he is a great friend and it is sad news. He is a winner and he will win this battle

He was hollands best player and coach. He was/is an big idol and this is sad for the whole of holland

More questions on klopp

pressing is not new. this has been seen before. dont see the fuss

Jay rodriguez is struggling a little in his feet. getting afew pains. we are disappointed. He really wants to be part of the team but he is not quite 100%

we had to allow him to recover from the pain and we have to be patient

More questions on klopp

they have some good players and he will try to win the game. They will try to play like they did against spurs. we expect that.

we have to be compact. it is normal

It was a difficult time last time we went to Anfield

everyone was worried at that game. we lost but we played a very good 2nd half. We showed our qualities and the confidence grew

More questions on klopp

we have to be focused, we have to be at our level. We know liverpool are a big team with a big history they have all the attention

we have to wait to see how he goes and deals with the intensity about the english game

Any more questions on Klopp?

To be fair there was also a question about Johann Cruyff ;)

These press conferences really are a waste of time, I think I say that nearly every week. Can't some of the media clowns actually think of something to ask about Southampton? Clearly the ones today had no idea, asking whether the high pressing game is new to the PL, duh, guess you never saw us play under Poch. Asking Ronald to explain who Cruyff was, FFS.

He's not wrong. I think there's a fair chance with their new gegenpress clearly going into effect from their run-distance stats against Spurs, that we're going to be under pressure on the ball and will have to knock a few into old gel-head on Sunday. Liverpool seem to be struggling to convert that effort into goals though, and if we use Wanyama/Romeu to strengthen our defensive resolve we also have the offer of countering through Mane, who thankfully won't have had a trip to Africa and back this week. Not quite sure how Liverpool are going to implement pressing yet in the longer term, but if it's got the weaknesses of Pochettino's model having pace on the counter could be significant.

This is also another of the post-Europe matches where missing out on the Europa League can only help us with planning and recovery compared to Liverpool's need to focus on Rubin Kazan until today.

People may be expecting too much, too soon from Klopp, just as they did of Pochettino when he went to WHL.

Preparation for an intensive pressing game has to start with pre-season training. It's very difficult (and injury-risky) to try to develop the necessary fitness levels after the season starts, and the challenges are magnified by European commitments.

I can see them coming at us hard in the first half and we might have to hang on, but as the game wears on I think we'll start making progress. Whether we're still in it at half time, and whether we can take the initiative in the second half are the key questions. Substitutions might end up deciding this game - almost like last week against Leicester, but with the boot on the other foot. :)

I am so feckin tired of hearing about Klopp. First of all, he's not the 'normal one'. There's nothing normal about him, he looks like a serial killer, if I saw someone like that sitting in the park I would move my kids on sharpish. Second of all, gegenpressen (pressing against?) isn't exactly some novel idea. He's 'a manager who likes high tempo football', which as far as I can tell is not unique in the Prem. Of course he's a cut above Brenda, but so are most managers in the top three divisions of English football.

Klopp talking about Saints - "We (i.e.Southampton) can play football, but if not we can play long balls - that's what they do. They want to play football and if not they have Pelle."

he seems a bit confused which team he manages

there is zero chance that the media will use Klopps name to ridicule liverpool

they are too busy creaming themselves every time he speaks, at the mo

Don't know why really, watched a bit of their game yesterday and it looks exactly the same as it was before to me, nothing at all at the sharp end.

Interesting comments about Jayrod. We can all see he is not back to his former standards. I truly hope he does fully recover, but the comments sound a bit worrying.

Very noticeable from the training video on the OS that Ryan Seager is integrated into the first team squad. Maybe with Long still out Ronald is looking at another option for the bench up front if Jay Rod is not 100%.

K

He's not wrong. I think there's a fair chance with their new gegenpress clearly going into effect from their run-distance stats against Spurs, that we're going to be under pressure on the ball and will have to knock a few into old gel-head on Sunday. Liverpool seem to be struggling to convert that effort into goals though, and if we use Wanyama/Romeu to strengthen our defensive resolve we also have the offer of countering through Mane, who thankfully won't have had a trip to Africa and back this week. Not quite sure how Liverpool are going to implement pressing yet in the longer term, but if it's got the weaknesses of Pochettino's model having pace on the counter could be significant.

This is also another of the post-Europe matches where missing out on the Europa League can only help us with planning and recovery compared to Liverpool's need to focus on Rubin Kazan until today.

If they press then we'll have to deal with it better than we did against Leicester. Stecklenberg back is a plus in that respect as the ball will be going back to him a good deal and he's obviously more accurate with his kicking than KD. Schneiderlin's a big miss in these situations. Nothing we can do about it. I think Klopp will press. He'll have seen the Leicester game. He didn't press against Rubin whatever they're called, which conserves energy for taking on us. Hope they tire and we get them second half.

Very noticeable from the training video on the OS that Ryan Seager is integrated into the first team squad. Maybe with Long still out Ronald is looking at another option for the bench up front if Jay Rod is not 100%.

Bring him in and bring him on - let's give some of the youngsters a chance if they're good enough.

Koeman didn't mention any injury problem but Wanyama seems to be missing from the training video and the gallery on OS. I also noticed in the Leicester matchday uncovered video him pointedly refusing to shake hands with Sammy Lee after the game (6:40) and kicking the changing room door open. Victor had a pretty mediocre game against Leicester and I wonder if something's going on there? Hopefully this was just anger at throwing 2 points away - I was pretty angry leaving the ground as well!

Koeman didn't mention any injury problem but Wanyama seems to be missing from the training video and the gallery on OS. I also noticed in the Leicester matchday uncovered video him pointedly refusing to shake hands with Sammy Lee after the game (6:40) and kicking the changing room door open. Victor had a pretty mediocre game against Leicester and I wonder if something's going on there? Hopefully this was just anger at throwing 2 points away - I was pretty angry leaving the ground as well!

Good spot. Hopefully he just has a knock and will be fine for Sunday, otherwise a big blow.

He did struggle with some kind of injury during the Leicester game.

Good spot. Hopefully he just has a knock and will be fine for Sunday, otherwise a big blow.

I thought that was more to do with him being booked early on. Hopefully he's ok- will be a big miss otherwise. Although I guess Romeu can come in instead.

Presser from Ron

We had a good week in terms of injurys after knocks from the leicester game

looks like all players are available apart from Long, Stek is back for selection

Long is progressing well, the weekend is too soon for him. Hope he is back next weekend

we are going well, we had a difficult start

we had a fast start with european football

we have had some good wins and a couple of defeats

we are at a good level but that is to be expected. we showed against chelsea, we know we are hard to beat if we play at our level

Asked about klopp

lot of attention from the press. It is not easy as a new manager need time

was surprised with their start against spurs. good high pressing, this is different from liverpool

he needs time to put his ideas across. Lots of attention because it is Liverpool

He will find every weekend that it is very intensive. You have to be good every week. any team can beat you in this league

No break mid season and he needs to use his squad

(more questions on klopp)

Some players will be happy with him, so may not be

new manager will bring new system in

it is not easy for him to make a difference in 2 weeks

we are confident. We know how we will play. We have to play at our normal level. we must be hard to beat

not surprised that VvD has settled well. Otherwise it would have been crazy money to spend on him

Bad news about Johan Cruyff

he is my favourite coach. I played many years under him. he is a great friend and it is sad news. He is a winner and he will win this battle

He was hollands best player and coach. He was/is an big idol and this is sad for the whole of holland

More questions on klopp

pressing is not new. this has been seen before. dont see the fuss

Jay rodriguez is struggling a little in his feet. getting afew pains. we are disappointed. He really wants to be part of the team but he is not quite 100%

we had to allow him to recover from the pain and we have to be patient

More questions on klopp

they have some good players and he will try to win the game. They will try to play like they did against spurs. we expect that.

we have to be compact. it is normal

It was a difficult time last time we went to Anfield

everyone was worried at that game. we lost but we played a very good 2nd half. We showed our qualities and the confidence grew

More questions on klopp

we have to be focused, we have to be at our level. We know liverpool are a big team with a big history they have all the attention

we have to wait to see how he goes and deals with the intensity about the english game

Cheers for that Jamie.

People may be expecting too much, too soon from Klopp, just as they did of Pochettino when he went to WHL.

Preparation for an intensive pressing game has to start with pre-season training. It's very difficult (and injury-risky) to try to develop the necessary fitness levels after the season starts, and the challenges are magnified by European commitments.

I can see them coming at us hard in the first half and we might have to hang on, but as the game wears on I think we'll start making progress. Whether we're still in it at half time, and whether we can take the initiative in the second half are the key questions. Substitutions might end up deciding this game - almost like last week against Leicester, but with the boot on the other foot. :)

Well, you say that but Pochettino had us at it within 2 weeks of arriving. Pochettino was unveiled on Friday 18th January, we played Everton on Mon 21st, it was used sparingly to scare the crap out of Man U on the Wed 30th and we were switching it on and off in the away game to Wigan on Sat 2nd Feb.

Hopefully Liverpool's match preparation is interfering with the ability to coach the new system quickly enough - and even so, they haven't been creating goalscoring opportunities as a result - so far.

I am so feckin tired of hearing about Klopp. First of all, he's not the 'normal one'. There's nothing normal about him, he looks like a serial killer, if I saw someone like that sitting in the park I would move my kids on sharpish. Second of all, gegenpressen (pressing against?) isn't exactly some novel idea. He's 'a manager who likes high tempo football', which as far as I can tell is not unique in the Prem. Of course he's a cut above Brenda, but so are most managers in the top three divisions of English football.

Consider that stolen. Genuine :lol:

Well, you say that but Pochettino had us at it within 2 weeks of arriving. Pochettino was unveiled on Friday 18th January, we played Everton on Mon 21st, it was used sparingly to scare the crap out of Man U on the Wed 30th and we were switching it on and off in the away game to Wigan on Sat 2nd Feb.

Hopefully Liverpool's match preparation is interfering with the ability to coach the new system quickly enough - and even so, they haven't been creating goalscoring opportunities as a result - so far.

From my recollection it was indeed used sparingly that season, mainly against "the big boys", and that IMO was because Pochettino knew that it wasn't sustainable with then-current fitness levels. Our results against those big teams were very good but we dropped a lot of points to the 'lesser' teams when we weren't playing the press anywhere near as much.

That's the dilemma I think Klopp will face - not an inability to play his press but an inability to play it consistently this season, especially after Europa excursions. On Sunday, for example. :)

Damn Liverpool for sacking the bag of sh!te Rodgers .... was so looking forward to us being the match he got the chop after!!

However we can still feel partly responsible for his downfall by selling him some over rated players at even more inflated prices :lol:

The match has lost some of it's edge, now it's just two sides looking to break into the top 6!!

From my recollection it was indeed used sparingly that season, mainly against "the big boys", and that IMO was because Pochettino knew that it wasn't sustainable with then-current fitness levels. Our results against those big teams were very good but we dropped a lot of points to the 'lesser' teams when we weren't playing the press anywhere near as much.

That's the dilemma I think Klopp will face - not an inability to play his press but an inability to play it consistently this season, especially after Europa excursions. On Sunday, for example. :)

That's an interesting insight. It begs a question, how fit are we now in comparison with Pochettino's side after his first summer of intensive pre-season training? Sometimes we look tired during the second half. (Against Leicester our players had returned from overseas internationals which was a factor on that occasion). We don't seem to press so intensively nowadays (though we are better defensively than in Poch's time here) so can we claim to be fitter than Liverpool this season? Fitness and recovery from injuries as well as tactics may be the deciding factor on Sunday.

I'm going for 2-2, a sensational strike from Mane, with a goal each side down to defensive mistakes.

Damn Liverpool for sacking the bag of sh!te Rodgers .... was so looking forward to us being the match he got the chop after!!

However we can still feel partly responsible for his downfall by selling him some over rated players at even more inflated prices :lol:

The match has lost some of it's edge, now it's just two sides looking to break into the top 6!!

I'm putting it down to fear of playing Saints that cost Rodgers his job

Still hate em and still like to get one over the money grabbers and for La Rat to cry.

On another note La Rat & Pelle interviews coming up on Soccer Saturday in bit.

Sorry, but at what point do either of those things happen? He clearly shakes Lee's hand, and I can see no door kicking. Given that someone has agreed with you, I feel like I'm going blind.

Looks like he is expecting to play with the latest interview now up on the OS. It also looks like he was involved in training, just perhaps managed not to feature in the video or the small number of pictures. Difficult to tell, but would be odd to post an interview with Vic if Saints know he is not playing.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20151024-victor-wanyama-pre-liverpool-southampton-2761794.aspx

Your not blind, I watched the clip after I read the comment, it's just a rubbish post making stuff up!!!!

Right? It's just plain weird. Upon reflection, I don't think SaintCharlie was agreeing with that portion of his/her comment (just that Wanyama was missing from OS training video), I.e. no one had agreed with him/her.

Edited by Donatello

Right? It's just plain weird. Upon reflection, I don't think SaintCharlie was agreeing with that portion of his/her comment (just that Wanyama was missing from OS training video), I.e. no one had agreed with him/her.

Yeah I was just saying it would be annoying if he was out and he wasnt in the other pics etc but obviously looks fine so all good, he is a very important player - especially in these type of games.

Didn't watch those other clips the person referred to.

I can't believe that Vic would want to miss the Liverpool game. If he is angling for playing with a top four club next season this is the perfect showpiece match for him to show his skills. If he scores 'pool will expect to buy him, as they do, but he can do better than that (given he is likely to be off at the end of season).

I still can't forget how Villa turned us over at SMS with about 1/3 possession by keeping quick forwards up on our defence, playing the ball in behind us and breaking quickly. It seemed to me the way to play against the high pressing possession game.

I still can't forget how Villa turned us over at SMS with about 1/3 possession by keeping quick forwards up on our defence, playing the ball in behind us and breaking quickly. It seemed to me the way to play against the high pressing possession game.

It also helps them enormous that we had Gazzaniga as glovesman that day and they scored with every attempt on target, as did pretty much everyone else we played against when he was in goal during that run of games.

No sparing use in the first season, we were absolutely swarming all the time from that Wigan game onwards - it was Pochettino's first full season when it was toned down, mainly because we were getting sucker punched on the counter by anyone with a big, fast striker (eg Lukaku).

It also helps them enormous that we had Gazzaniga as glovesman that day and they scored with every attempt on target, as did pretty much everyone else we played against when he was in goal during that run of games.

Except Cardiff - and only then if you ignore the weird "no shots on target" stats. ;)

No sparing use in the first season, we were absolutely swarming all the time from that Wigan game onwards - it was Pochettino's first full season when it was toned down, mainly because we were getting sucker punched on the counter by anyone with a big, fast striker (eg Lukaku).

I guess we just have different recollections of how we played against most clubs outside the Top 6, and that's okay.

That was one game. You were wrong then as you're wrong now. We weren't that exposed against the counterattack and all the bleating about the long-ball over top -well no more than any other team.