Luggys Book

9-3

Paul Sturrock as he was to be announced as Saints manager asked Gordon Strachan what the thought of Rupert Lowe.

He replied, ''I'll leave that for you to find out''

I'd be disappointed if thats the most startling revealation about his time with us in the book.

One for Dalek's Christmas stocking? Maybe someone can tell his mum.

has he mentioned how he was surprised to be called as manager after the last minute decision not to appoint Hoddle ? Has he mentioned the difficulty asserting his authority on the players who had wanted Hoddle back ?

Has Luggy siad he was greatful to the vocal minority ?

"Sturrock's uncompromising managerial style didn't fit with Southampton's players or owners."

Uncompromising. Does that include when he fell asleep during training in a portacabin, or when he turned up with the contents of a bacon sandwich all over his top?

Old school...

"Sturrock's uncompromising managerial style didn't fit with Southampton's players or owners."

Uncompromising. Does that include when he fell asleep during training in a portacabin, or when he turned up with the contents of a bacon sandwich all over his top?

God we were tinpot under Lowe, training in a portakabin...

has he mentioned how he was surprised to be called as manager after the last minute decision not to appoint Hoddle ? Has he mentioned the difficulty asserting his authority on the players who had wanted Hoddle back ?

I don't know, you'll have to wait for Christmas. You could get a preview by reading a chapter or two at Waterstones. Maybe there's a chapter explaining how he wasn't responsible for us getting relegated. ;)

"greatful" and you are a teacher????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was an egg sandwich.

That book definitely falls into the category of "books where I can read the chapter I want to read in a quiet afternoon in Waterstones".

"this"

By far the worst Football related book - Matt Le Tiss' autobiography. Very badly written, which is a shame given how Matt is so erudite, I'd have expected him to want more.

The best - Red, Gary Neville. Brilliant book.

"this"

By far the worst Football related book - Matt Le Tiss' autobiography. Very badly written, which is a shame given how Matt is so erudite, I'd have expected him to want more.

The best - Red, Gary Neville. Brilliant book.

Was such a shame. Had some decent bits but overall was bland as hell. Wasn't it a former Daily Echo writer who wrote it? Which would explain a lot.

I thought it was an egg sandwich.

My recollection of the story is that he had egg all down his top, which would be difficult with a bacon sandwich.

Not that I'm that convinced any of these stories were necessarily anything other than some of the players agitating to get rid of Sturrock for some reason, and we all know how much worse they got in the immediate aftermath when they got their own way.

He had success with Plymouth before though didn't he? I am not supporting his appointment here but I thought he was seen as a rising star rather than a falling egg sarnie at the time.

being in with a good shout of promotion a a few leagues down does not make you a rising star. It really does not

unless you think Paul Cook is a rising star also?

being in with a good shout of promotion a a few leagues down does not make you a rising star. It really does not

unless you think Paul Cook is a rising star also?

I didn't say that I thought he was a rising star. I said he was seen as such. Gordon Strachan also gave him the thumbs up to. But I am sure he was hired because they thought he was sh*t at the time.

Saints were a team of big time charlies when luggy took over. I can imagine a lot of them were difficult to manage and Luggy probably didn't have the experience.

Well I would agree that Sturrock did not have the experience. Not so sure that the team were 'Big Time Charlies'. An experienced manager like Hoddle had more than enough credibility to manage the players and keep the dressing room. Something on both counts, Luggy failed to do.

I didn't say that I thought he was a rising star. I said he was seen as such. Gordon Strachan also gave him the thumbs up to. But I am sure he was hired because they thought he was sh*t at the time.

who saw him as such.

I remember people being stunned he got the job.

he was shyt. his football was shyt and he proved to be shyt

who saw him as such.

I remember people being stunned he got the job.

he was shyt. his football was shyt and he proved to be shyt

Stunned is an apt description. Add shocked, horrified and terrified. We virtually set a course for relegation and oblivion. Why was Sturrock appointed though ?

Agreed. The question remains, why was he appointed at the last minute ? Glenn Hoddle was a'shoe in'. What happened ?

I am sure you know this but Lowe wanted Hoddle but the Board didn't agree. As for WGS mischief making, possibly but I don't think so. He gave Sturrock a glowing recommendation.

No you are right. He was shyt at Plymouth and was hired because he was shyt.

that is right.

for a premier league side. he was a shyte prospect and turned out as such.

lets not pretend we had a brilliant track record on hiring managers back then

that is right.

for a premier league side. he was a shyte prospect and turned out as such.

lets not pretend we had a brilliant track record on hiring managers back then

No you are totally right. Strachan was shyt. Hoddle was shyt. Jones was shyt. Souness was shyt. Lots and lots of shyt.

Not true. Were you even there? Results might not have been great but the football was pretty entertaining.

yeah i was there and saw the end result first hand at Plymouth

it was shyte. The football played at SMS was hardly his own. he was only here a few months