Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Of course we are going to pay circa £25m for a player who will have no where near that resale value in 2-3 years time. Never ever going to Happen

Unless of course, we would get him at a fee closer to that of boufal/Gabbiadini

That'll be the VVD £50mill then. PS anyone seen the tweets about player unrest - Long, VVD and Bertrand saying they're off if Puel isn't? Sounds like an excuse, but have to say I wouldn't shed a tear if Puel was dispensed with. Just hasn't got it for me. too many abject performances and needless squad rotation, imbued with no character whatsoever

That'll be the VVD £50mill then. PS anyone seen the tweets about player unrest - Long, VVD and Bertrand saying they're off if Puel isn't? Sounds like an excuse, but have to say I wouldn't shed a tear if Puel was dispensed with. Just hasn't got it for me. too many abject performances and needless squad rotation, imbued with no character whatsoever

Of course, because a twitter account called SaintsFCFanZone is a reliable source...

It's all b*llocks.

Jansson looks decent for leeds but the sort of player you'd want playing alongside VVD while he learns the premier league. If he's a replacement then we're in trouble. I know plenty of here seem strangely pleased with stephens and yoshida but I really hope the club aren't. If they use the second half of the season as a sign they don't need to replace Fonte and don't need a real top VVD replacement then we're in trouble. We've been close enough points wise to the relegation fight this season to not have room for many mistakes in the summer.

Agree.

Looks like Toby could be leaving Spurs this summer for around £25m........that price is probably BS, but interesting to see him linked away

It-s nonsense. His contract details were leaked a while back. He has a contract until 2019 with Spurs having an option for an extra year. If they do take up the option then Toby will have a £25m release clause valid only during the summer of 2019 until two weeks before the end of that transfer window.

It-s nonsense. His contract details were leaked a while back. He has a contract until 2019 with Spurs having an option for an extra year. If they do take up the option then Toby will have a £25m release clause valid only during the summer of 2019 until two weeks before the end of that transfer window.

Players are becomming too demanding these days.

Of course, because a twitter account called SaintsFCFanZone is a reliable source...

It's all b*llocks.

To be fair, someone posted this in the post city match thread:

I never post because I do not need the abuse but with the season coming to an end we need to be aware of the situation. If Puel stays at least 8 players will agitate for a move, whether they get them is another matter. Puel is not disliked but he is not respected.

Of course could also be BS, however its not the first we've heard about unrest with certain players in the dressing room...

To be fair, someone posted this in the post city match thread:

Of course could also be BS, however its not the first we've heard about unrest with certain players in the dressing room...

There always seem to be rumours that some player or another is upset, every season, but then again how many of us don't get ****ed off with work at some stage.

There always seem to be rumours that some player or another is upset, every season, but then again how many of us don't get ****ed off with work at some stage.

We do seem to have more than most who wish to leave, for what ever reason

We do seem to have more than most who wish to leave, for what ever reason

It's quite comical really. You genuinely believe that players from Hull, Watford or Stoke wouldn't leave to play for a top 6 club, if they were good enough.

This has been explained to Batman on numerous occasions and he refuses to take it in. He can't grasp that Saints to their credit have had a large number of players good enough for significantly richer clubs and that is why they leave.

As you rightly point out, teams like Hull, Watford and Stoke don't have the quanity of good players Saints have, so they don't have the volume of interest in their squad that Saints have had. That is why we've lost more than them.

Instead Batman goes on constant flawed rants against people like Les Reed... a man key to the club's rise and the conveyor belt of new high quality talent we keep bringing in to replace those that leave.

The time to worry is not when we sell to significantly richer clubs, the time to worry is when we don't have players those clubs would want, as that would indicate a drop in quality and recruitment at Saints. Something which hasn't happened.

Batman will of course repeat his flawed arguments throughout the rest of the season, into the summer... and beyond! :mcinnes:

This has been explained to Batman on numerous occasions and he refuses to take it in. He can't grasp that Saints to their credit have had a large number of players good enough for significantly richer clubs and that is why they leave.

As you rightly point out, teams like Hull, Watford and Stoke don't have the quanity of good players Saints have, so they don't have the volume of interest in their squad that Saints have had. That is why we've lost more than them.

Instead Batman goes on constant flawed rants against people like Les Reed... a man key to the club's rise and the conveyor belt of new high quality talent we keep bringing in to replace those that leave.

The time to worry is not when we sell to significantly richer clubs, the time to worry is when we don't have players those clubs would want, as that would indicate a drop in quality and recruitment at Saints. Something which hasn't happened.

Batman will of course repeat his flawed arguments throughout the rest of the season, into the summer... and beyond! :mcinnes:

Exactly, only a simpleton would fail to grasp this. Can I make it any simpler, since our return to the top flight how many of our players or managers have left for a club belowe us in the league?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Michael Keane to leave Burnley at the end of the season according to 'Sky Sources'.

I reckon he'd be a cracking Fonte replacement. Perhaps a bit above us now, could see him ending up at Everton to be honest.

If we have anything about us we wait until the Keane transfer is concluded before we entertain any bids for VVD.

If Burnely really do get £30m for him, we can only expect the price of VVD to go up.

£30m for Keane, £25-30m for Gibson. Christ alive.

Need to be getting at least £60m for VVD.

Makes Mane at £35m an absolute steal, albeit not an English player. I doubt Liverpool would sell him now for anywhere lower than £70m.

Those players have the premium of being British but still, ludicrous prices for centre backs who are good but not top quality.

Alderweireld/VVD for £12-14m must be two of the best PL signings of the last 10 years, especially TA as he was already PL proven.

Makes Mane at £35m an absolute steal, albeit not an English player. I doubt Liverpool would sell him now for anywhere lower than £70m.

Those players have the premium of being British but still, ludicrous prices for centre backs who are good but not top quality.

Alderweireld/VVD for £12-14m must be two of the best PL signings of the last 10 years, especially TA as he was already PL proven.

This, which makes it even worse to think we didn't just pay the money when we had the chance.

The thought of TA and VVD in 1 team :(

This, which makes it even worse to think we didn't just pay the money when we had the chance.

The thought of TA and VVD in 1 team :(

That wouldn't have happened though. We wouldn't have signed VVD had we signed TA.

So, we didn't really lose out massively. Two fantastic centre backs, we probably got the one with the greater potential and sell on.

That wouldn't have happened though. We wouldn't have signed VVD had we signed TA.

So, we didn't really lose out massively. Two fantastic centre backs, we probably got the one with the greater potential and sell on.

IIRC (i'm sure I saw somewhere), Koeman wanted both and flirted with the idea of playing TA as a DM (as he had played in that role a few times that season).

VVD was a long term target for us. I honestly believe we would have brought them both (especially given the relatively little fee's.. c£26m for the pair is unbelievable business, given the resale value of them both a few years on)

The Mane fee seemed cheap at the time. Many seemed happy to get 35m but in the modern market is was a great deal for Liverpool.

Is Gibson amazing? I'm suspicious of CBs that play well in ridiculously defensive teams, they get a lot of help. I remember Birmingham under McLeish when people though Johnson and Dann were amazing but they had about 5 defensive midfielders helping out.

See De Roon linked, that looks a saints signing all over. Hard working midfielder, rarely scores. Still, if we got him AND sigurdsson we'd be looking alright. Bet even De Roon would be 15m or something silly in today's market.

not feeling the the once noted positivity from you Adrian. What's happened?

I think Ajax' Davy Klaassen could be a good fit for Southampton. He's a worker, a teamplayer, and he manages to score important goals (like the two goals he scored against Schalke 04 in the UEFA Cup last week). We could do with an unselfish, scoring, attacking midfielder like him.

Yes, either him or Ziyech but I'd expect he's above us now. Klaassen's scored 13 goals and racked up 9 assists and is captain of one of Europe's most successful clubs. I suggested him in the summer but was told that not even Ajax fans rate him...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The list of things I think need to be addressed this summer:

1. The future of VVD

2. The purchase of at least one 'ready' centre half. Two if VVD leaves. What the past few months has shown is that Jack Stephens would make an excellent fourth choice centre half and Yoshida would be an excellent backup centre half. Gardos can move on as we have some excellent prospects that can take his role.

3. The future of Jay Rod - he doesn't seem happy to me and I can't see him staying if he is third choice for single position in the team.

Anything else depends on departures.

1. The future of VVD

2. The purchase of at least one 'ready' centre half. Two if VVD leaves. What the past few months has shown is that Jack Stephens would make an excellent fourth choice centre half and Yoshida would be an excellent backup centre half. Gardos can move on as we have some excellent prospects that can take his role.

3. The future of Jay Rod - he doesn't seem happy to me and I can't see him staying if he is third choice for single position in the team.

1. early sale is better if we have to, or where replacement signed before (to save cash)

2. unfair on Stephens, who has done well. Him and Yoshida have formed a decent pairing. Would like to see Caceres in at least one game, ever...

3. Should have been sold before now as Jay Rod has looked like a pub player ever since he got fit. Adds nothing. Let him renew his love in with Poch (where he will excel, sadly)

I would add a 4th - get new keeper, selling Forster for as much as poss

and 5th - get new manager. Wenger when he's available please

1. The future of VVD

Jack needs game time. If he's not going to be first choice next year (which he won't) he should go out on loan.

The Mane fee seemed cheap at the time. Many seemed happy to get 35m but in the modern market is was a great deal for Liverpool.

Is Gibson amazing? I'm suspicious of CBs that play well in ridiculously defensive teams, they get a lot of help. I remember Birmingham under McLeish when people though Johnson and Dann were amazing but they had about 5 defensive midfielders helping out.

See De Roon linked, that looks a saints signing all over. Hard working midfielder, rarely scores. Still, if we got him AND sigurdsson we'd be looking alright. Bet even De Roon would be 15m or something silly in today's market.

£50m buys you an English wonderkid, like Stones or Sterling. £38m for Mané is abought right.

Stones - 22 years old - English - 3 years on his contract

Mané - 24 years old - Foreign - 2 years left

The fees are bout right.

£50m buys you an English wonderkid, like Stones or Sterling. £38m for Mané is abought right.

Stones - 22 years old - English - 3 years on his contract

Mané - 24 years old - Foreign - 2 years left

The fees are bout right.

Hardly.

One is an average centre back and one is an exceptional attacking player. Attackers are worth more.

Hardly.

One is an average centre back and one is an exceptional attacking player. Attackers are worth more.

He's a very good attacking player but to be asking for £50m plus you've got to have a world superstar on your hands.

The fact is Mané went missing for 6 months of last season and whilst his 13 goals this year is a decent return, it is hardly astonishing.

He's a very good attacking player but to be asking for £50m plus you've got to have a world superstar on your hands.

The fact is Mané went missing for 6 months of last season and whilst his 13 goals this year is a decent return, it is hardly astonishing.

Sterling went for that didn't he? :/ He's hardly a superstar