Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Boo! That's not the news we want to hear, so going to stick my fingers in my ears and chant "la la la" until 11pm.

Normally Celtic have to sell a player to pay the rent after they have finished the champions league qualifiers. Is that the case this year?

Saints. Stop pussyfooting around and buy Hoedt ANYWAY. Please don't let us do this 'too late to get a replacement' balls when we accept that Chelsea offer for VVD (obvs)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saints. Stop pussyfooting around and buy Hoedt ANYWAY. Please don't let us do this 'too late to get a replacement' balls when we accept that Chelsea offer for VVD (obvs)

Do you ever have anything positive to say about Saints, without at least one negative point?

If it gets to the end of the window and they've not sold him despite you saying umpteen times he's going, you'll say well he's off next year then.

That would probably be correct but I'm struggling to see what you get from football if everything the club you so-called support does is s**t. Perhaps try tiddlywinks instead?

Do you ever have anything positive to say about Saints, without at least one negative point?

If it gets to the end of the window and they've not sold him despite you saying umpteen times he's going, you'll say well he's off next year then.

That would probably be correct but I'm struggling to see what you get from football if everything the club you so-called support does is s**t. Perhaps try tiddlywinks instead?

Too many agents in tiddlywinks always wanting their share of tiddlies

Too many agents in tiddlywinks always wanting their share of tiddlies

They're called winks, rather than tiddles. Except the big one, which is a squidger. HTH.

But, in principle, I'm sure you're right.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

They're called winks, rather than tiddles. Except the big one, which is a squidger. HTH.

But, in principle, I'm sure you're right.

Thanks. That does help. Are players mostly winkers? *orders squidger on amazon*

I feel for the club. I'm pretty sure they know that if they buy a CB regardless of who or how much, the media and most of the fanbase will go into a hysterical frenzy claiming it is proof that VVD is leaving - even if they state he is a replacement for Fonte or whatever.

FWIW I hope VVD is made to stay. I'm sure he'd have to knuckle down and play sooner or later. We don't have to love him to let him do a job for us this season. You also know that if he nodded one in in his first game back, most would be cheering the goal and chanting his name in no time.

Thanks. That does help. Are players mostly winkers? *orders squidger on amazon*

I have little experience of them but I think they are mainly winkers, or something similar. [emoji16][emoji6]

9 clean sheets in 21 games since vD injured (inc the match he was injured in).

Is that bad? looking at the Champions of England, they have kept 5 clean sheets in the last 21. And Spurs - don't they have the best defence in the league? They have 10 clean sheets in the last 21 games.

Is that bad? looking at the Champions of England, they have kept 5 clean sheets in the last 21. And Spurs - don't they have the best defence in the league? They have 10 clean sheets in the last 21 games.

were became the 2nd worst in the league at winning defensive aerial duels and the worst in the league from conceding at set pieces

since VvD was injured

Stats are wonderful aren't they? You can choose which ones you want. I prefer to choose the one where we have twice as many clean sheets than Chelsea and 1 fewer than the best defence in the league.

I just presented facts.

if you think we will progress with yoshida at CB, then good for you.

the club clearly do not

were became the 2nd worst in the league at winning defensive aerial duels and the worst in the league from conceding at set pieces

since VvD was injured

Also visually it's obvious we are zero threat from attacking corners since Fonte and VVD been out of team.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

While clean sheet statistics do at least suggest our defence is abysmal, it can also point to cautious/negative tactics (especially when coupled with a lack of goals scored), or the other team being poor, or even the other team being unlucky.

In my view, Yoshida is decent in the air (but not excellent), quick, and average in possession. He sometimes gets caught out of position. Stephens is weak in the air, good in possession, not particularly quick (though I could be wrong on that), and sometimes gets caught out of position.

I think either of them are good enough to partner a commanding centre half, but together it does feel like a couple of weaknesses (heading, positioning) aren't sufficiently covered by the other. As much as I like the look of Hoedt, I'm also not sure he fits the mould of a player that plugs these gaps.

On the flip side, I was about to claim we struggle against the big centre forwards who are also experienced or have good movement. The likes of Kane, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku... and then I realised that the majority of defenders in the land struggle against such players, so why should we expect Yoshida & Stephens to be different?!

While clean sheet statistics do at least suggest our defence is abysmal, it can also point to cautious/negative tactics (especially when coupled with a lack of goals scored), or the other team being poor, or even the other team being unlucky.

In my view, Yoshida is decent in the air (but not excellent), quick, and average in possession. He sometimes gets caught out of position. Stephens is weak in the air, good in possession, not particularly quick (though I could be wrong on that), and sometimes gets caught out of position.

I think either of them are good enough to partner a commanding centre half, but together it does feel like a couple of weaknesses (heading, positioning) aren't sufficiently covered by the other. As much as I like the look of Hoedt, I'm also not sure he fits the mould of a player that plugs these gaps.

On the flip side, I was about to claim we struggle against the big centre forwards who are also experienced or have good movement. The likes of Kane, Ibrahimovic, Lukaku... and then I realised that the majority of defenders in the land struggle against such players, so why should we expect Yoshida & Stephens to be different?!

This is correct.

Both are good players to have in the squad and about as good as we can realistically hope for as third choice or occasional starter.

Clearly, as a pair, they are a big downgrade on the partnerships we have had for the last three seasons though.

Let's look at the games since the 3-0 against Leicester.

Liverpool away (cup). They couldn't score and didn't know how to get past a packed defence mainly. Didn't have Mane, did have Sturrige in one of his rare appearances and he wasn't up to speed. One of the clean sheets.

Dicked by Arsenal's reserves; lost 5-0.

Lost away to a poor and still struggling Swansea. 2-1.

Lost at home to WHam. Their first ever win against us at SMS. 3-1.

Beat an atrocious Sunderland team 4-0.

Lost to Man U in a cup final 3-2.

Ripped into a poor Watford team and almost let them back in. Won 4-3.

Lost to Spurs 2-1.

Managed a draw at home against the mighty Bournemouth. Another clean sheet: 0-0.

Beat a West Brom team that had reached safety and then tanked for the rest of the season. 1-0.

Watched in awe as Man City came and played some footy against us. Lost 3-0.

Decided we wanted Chelsea to have the title. Lost 4-2.

Drew 0-0 against Hull at home where they were set up to not lose and weren't great opposition.

Obviously had Liverpool's number, another 0-0. Away at their place though so will always count as a good result.

Felt sorry for Arsenal. They beat us 2-0.

Managed to let a Middlesbrough team with nothing to play for and no forwards score against us but still win 2-1.

Drew with a Man Utd team which had its mind elsewhere. 0-0.

Contrived to lose to a poor Stoke team 1-0.

Haven't included friendlies.

Managed a 1-0 against a Swansea team (at home) that don't look any better than last year. Their striker was a loanee from another club who has (I think) not really played at this level before.

I doubt you were directly looking to say the defence is great or even good, but when you look at each game it is undoubtedly fragile. The opposition weren't that good. I'll again make the point about Stephens. A very, very good player but defensively he switches off and against the exceptional forwards faced to do so presents them with an opportunity which many will take. As goals are hard to come by, we don't want to give any away. There are other defenders of course but I tend to think Bertrand is, even when uninterested, too good, Yoshida has shown much better form and does himself occasionally make better passes than he has in the past and Cedric is like Bertrand but perhaps less consistent. None of them are bad, but it's like the question with the keeper: are they better than just 'very good' because the opposition are at least as good and without Romeu how well would they do? Someone recently said something about Man Utd's defence in that they had to know how to deal with a 2v2 frequently and with the likes of Ferdinand and Vidic, etc they could. We can't necessarily defend with a 4/5 v 2 although with someone like VVD we probably could defend with a 2 v 2 or a 1 v 1 most of the time. I think VVD will end up playing for us again so we should be ok this season, but he'll leave at the beginning of the next transfer season as the deal will already have been done.

He means last season. (I think?)

I don't think he does...! Abraham is the on loan striker, and he refers to "no better than last year" as well. It's not easy to decipher, but that aside his post clearly sets out a pretty damning argument against all the "but but clean sheets" claims.

I don't think he does...! Abraham is the on loan striker, and he refers to "no better than last year" as well. It's not easy to decipher, but that aside his post clearly sets out a pretty damning argument against all the "but but clean sheets" claims.

Yeah, my review of them (which I don't think is unique) would be: "Both Maya & Jack are good enough... unless we face a big, powerful striker".

Nearly all those losses involved us being bullied in the air.

Let's look at the games since the 3-0 against Leicester.

Liverpool away (cup). They couldn't score and didn't know how to get past a packed defence mainly. Didn't have Mane, did have Sturrige in one of his rare appearances and he wasn't up to speed. One of the clean sheets.

Dicked by Arsenal's reserves; lost 5-0.

Lost away to a poor and still struggling Swansea. 2-1.

Lost at home to WHam. Their first ever win against us at SMS. 3-1.

Beat an atrocious Sunderland team 4-0.

Lost to Man U in a cup final 3-2.

Ripped into a poor Watford team and almost let them back in. Won 4-3.

Lost to Spurs 2-1.

Managed a draw at home against the mighty Bournemouth. Another clean sheet: 0-0.

Beat a West Brom team that had reached safety and then tanked for the rest of the season. 1-0.

Watched in awe as Man City came and played some footy against us. Lost 3-0.

Decided we wanted Chelsea to have the title. Lost 4-2.

Drew 0-0 against Hull at home where they were set up to not lose and weren't great opposition.

Obviously had Liverpool's number, another 0-0. Away at their place though so will always count as a good result.

Felt sorry for Arsenal. They beat us 2-0.

Managed to let a Middlesbrough team with nothing to play for and no forwards score against us but still win 2-1.

Drew with a Man Utd team which had its mind elsewhere. 0-0.

Contrived to lose to a poor Stoke team 1-0.

Haven't included friendlies.

Managed a 1-0 against a Swansea team (at home) that don't look any better than last year. Their striker was a loanee from another club who has (I think) not really played at this level before.

I doubt you were directly looking to say the defence is great or even good, but when you look at each game it is undoubtedly fragile. The opposition weren't that good. I'll again make the point about Stephens. A very, very good player but defensively he switches off and against the exceptional forwards faced to do so presents them with an opportunity which many will take. As goals are hard to come by, we don't want to give any away. There are other defenders of course but I tend to think Bertrand is, even when uninterested, too good, Yoshida has shown much better form and does himself occasionally make better passes than he has in the past and Cedric is like Bertrand but perhaps less consistent. None of them are bad, but it's like the question with the keeper: are they better than just 'very good' because the opposition are at least as good and without Romeu how well would they do? Someone recently said something about Man Utd's defence in that they had to know how to deal with a 2v2 frequently and with the likes of Ferdinand and Vidic, etc they could. We can't necessarily defend with a 4/5 v 2 although with someone like VVD we probably could defend with a 2 v 2 or a 1 v 1 most of the time. I think VVD will end up playing for us again so we should be ok this season, but he'll leave at the beginning of the next transfer season as the deal will already have been done.

Mostly agree to that... but i'd probably say the questions it raises isn't the CB's but the 'keeper in goal as we only really concede a few shots on target each game... most of which end up whizzing over/under/through old Frase' like nobodies business.

This is correct.

Both are good players to have in the squad and about as good as we can realistically hope for as third choice or occasional starter.

Clearly, as a pair, they are a big downgrade on the partnerships we have had for the last three seasons though.

Previous CBs like Lovern, Toby and Fonte also had the benefit of Morgan and/or Victor sitting in front of them which made two decent CB look very good and one very good CB look even better.

@DiMarzio: #Calciomercato | Offerta ufficiale del #Southampton alla #Lazio per Wesley #Hoedt

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/calciomercato-lazio-offerta-ufficiale-del-southampton-per-hoedt

British sirens for Wesley Hoedt . Southampton defender Lazio has strong Southampton who yesterday sent a biannual betting club an official offer of 17 million euros . The company of President Lotito has not yet accepted , but the one proposed by the Saints is the figure that Lazio had agreed to start market with the agent of the '94 class. Southampton tries us, Lazio thinks: an official offer of 17 million euros has been received for Hoedt.