Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I'm struggling to think what kind of attacking player we'd want. Tadic, Redmond and Boufal, with Sims in reserve, cover what I'd call creative attacking MF. Long has pace. Austin and Gabbi are finishers.

I can only think controlling playmaker, upgrade on JWP or Davis, unless it's strong traditional #9 able to hold the ball up and good on the air - like Gallagher who've they've now decided isn't ready.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes i've seen the footage. It's certainly a late challenge. I'm not sure i'd consider that sort of barge awful.

Sorry but reacting by shoving another player is completely unacceptable behaviour, especially when he was physically if not mentally the most mature player on the pitch. That would never be a yellow in the prem. That's a straight red every day of the week. His past injury record is no excuse for his lack of professionalism.

In what world does he not respond to the no5. He clearly does in the video.

Shoves in the chest are not red cards, which is exactly why the City player tried to fake the face injury because he knew that is a sending off by the letter of the law, raising hands to someones face is a red card for violent conduct I believe, even if it's open palm (which is stupid in itself) but push in the chest is not.

That is a yellow card every day of the week and happens ALL the time in pretty much every level of football. If any of our players got a red card for that I'd be livid at the referee, and I'd also be ashamed if any of our players did what that Man City player did.

As for his reaction to the Man City centre back, well when someone gets you in a headlock you tend to want to push them away and get out of it, which is what he did. Seems a pretty standard reaction to me, and he actually seems to keep his cool a lot better than most players around him.

The initial foul is much worse than what Wilshere did, it's not studs up or anything but they guy is leading with his shoulder and knows exactly what he is doing, it's not just late, it's a tackle where there is zero intention to play the ball and just full intention to injure his man. Then he goes down stupidly easy to the push holding his face which he was not touched in.

Wilshere should have got a yellow, the city player who did the initial tackle should have got two yellows, one for his first tackle and then one for simulation and the city no.5 should have been sent off.

I'm struggling to think what kind of attacking player we'd want. Tadic, Redmond and Boufal, with Sims in reserve, cover what I'd call creative attacking MF. Long has pace. Austin and Gabbi are finishers.

I can only think controlling playmaker, upgrade on JWP or Davis, unless it's strong traditional #9 able to hold the ball up and good on the air - like Gallagher who've they've now decided isn't ready.

I think we've been crying out for one of these, since the sale of Lallana, in all honesty, but especially highlighted last year without the x factor of Mane.

As you've rightly pointed out, I think we have enough in the wide area's and unless we get someone of Mane's ilk (quick, direct and has an eye for a goal) the money would be better spent centrally.

For me, we need someone who is capable of getting box to box, can pick the ball up from deep then drive forward the with the ball and has the finesse to split the opposition with a quick 1/2 or through ball.

Given the service, Gabbi will get the goals.

I think we've been crying out for one of these, since the sale of Lallana, in all honesty, but especially highlighted last year without the x factor of Mane.

As you've rightly pointed out, I think we have enough in the wide area's and unless we get someone of Mane's ilk (quick, direct and has an eye for a goal) the money would be better spent centrally.

For me, we need someone who is capable of getting box to box, can pick the ball up from deep then drive forward the with the ball and has the finesse to split the opposition with a quick 1/2 or through ball.

Coutinho CDAJFU.

I completely agree with your comment about Lallana as much as it pains to say it. In his final season for us he was sensational most of the time and unplayable on his day; deservedly Player of the Season (as much as I'd like to bludgeon him with the trophy now).

Like you say, Mane is the other standout player in recent times who could swoop in and save the day for us with a goal against a seemingly unbreakable defence. Imagine how many 0-0s would have been 1-0s last season if we'd still had one of them in the team.

This would be the last piece of the puzzle for me, someone who can be the wildcard to bring some unpredictability to predictable games. Easier said than done to sign someone like that though!

I completely agree with your comment about Lallana as much as it pains to say it. In his final season for us he was sensational most of the time and unplayable on his day; deservedly Player of the Season (as much as I'd like to bludgeon him with the trophy now).

Like you say, Mane is the other standout player in recent times who could swoop in and save the day for us with a goal against a seemingly unbreakable defence. Imagine how many 0-0s would have been 1-0s last season if we'd still had one of them in the team.

This would be the last piece of the puzzle for me, someone who can be the wildcard to bring some unpredictability to predictable games. Easier said than done to sign someone like that though!

Isn't that supposed to be Boufal?

I'm amused by the total failure of that article to get its facts right. It contradicts itself about four times:

Southampton striker Sam Gallagher earns pay-rise of £22,000 per week

Sam Gallagher is paid £8,000 per week for Southampton

Birmingham have bumped up striker's wage to £30,000 per week this season

Birmingham committed to paying him £30,000 per week, an increase of £8,000 from his deal at St Mary’s.

Sam Gallagher will see his pay boosted from £8,000 per week to £30,000 per week

It is understood Birmingham are paying Southampton a loan fee in excess of £1m as well as improving Gallagher’s £22,000 per week personal terms by 36 per cent.

The Daily Fail...

Yes it is. Given time! Some fans are so inpatient. Boufal will be better than Mane, mark my words. His ability and skills are out of this world.

Totally agree , one of our best players hasn't been given a chance yet.

Attacker we are after ..........Karamoh , Vietto .......god I hope Luan Gremio but that would be to good to be true ....cant really think of any others we have allegedly looked at .

The press has linked us with all sorts of forward players this window. Afair few got snapped up by other clubs...

- Chris Wood

- Loic Remy

- Patrick Roberts

- Luciano Vietto

- Munir El Haddadi

- Jacob Murphy

- Yann Karamoh

- Stuart Armstrong

- Kelechi Iheanacho

- Gregoire Defrel

- Marcus Coco

- Emre Mor

- Joel Asoro

- Ryad Boudebouz

- Martin Braithwaite

- Henry Onyekuru

- Gylfi Sigurdsson

- Sandro Ramirez

Needs to be given a run. If we persevered half as much as we have done with jwp, he will be orchestrating a footballing symphony.

Know class when you are it

But he's way behind JWP at the moment in terms of controlling a game.

That's exactly the problem. When you get a really talented attacker they'll be inconsistent, especially at our level. He needs a good run of 10 starts to really get going, no the odd game with all the pressure to perform or get dropped again for ages.

dont think 10 starts is going to happen yet

Someone who will break between the lines, gamble and get beyond the strikers on occasions. Davis has been wonderful for us but too similar than JWP, was much better at his peak but JWP has the set pieces. Trouble is, we aren't a tall side without Pelle gone, and VVD on strike, so it's as wasted as a Rory Delap long throw. PEH needs to decide what type of MC he is, I think he could break forward well but his finishing is woeful. Redmond is quick but little football brain.

The more I think about, it's not that the individual players aren't necessarily bad - Bednarak is very raw as predicted but will improve - but the balance of the squad Puel and now MP has isn't right. If we aren't going to sell VVD and re-invest - and I don't think we should - how do we rebalance and not put ourselves in financial risk? Do we sell Tadic - he might reinvigorate somewhere else but for me hasn't played well for months? Would get a decent price and bring in some raw pace and unpredictability. Boufal - stick or twist? Probably stick - paid £16m and bit early to give up on him. I'd also sell at least one, maybe two of JWP, PEH or Clasie - too similar - and that might free up funds for an AMC loan/perm on someone out of favour at a big club who needs a fresh start.

I was expecting us to sell Tadic this summer and replace him in the starting 11 with Boufal and in the squad with a younger player like Roberts or Karamoh. I was also expecting us to sell Long and replace him with a younger and better forward - someone who has pace but can also finish - someone like Vietto or Gabriel Barbosa maybe. Although either of these could be seen as a replacement for Rodriguez who I thought was replaced by Gallagher.

(By the way I am only naming these players as we have been linked with them in the press - I'm not in the know or a transfer guru)

I don't really understand why we let Gallager go on loan to Birmingham City and Redknapp of all people - I would have kept Gallagher over Long - he's just as physical as Long and probably a better finisher although maybe not as fast on the ground and he gives us an alternative player and a different style to lead the line.

For me its time to cash in on Van Dijk and spend the money on the first 11.

There are a number of players that that need to be moved on to clear space in the squad and room on the wage bill - namely Clasie, Long and Gardos. I'd add Tadic to that list as well but only if we bring in another attacking player.

And Pied probably need to be replaced as well - to me he seems to be just another cheap stop gap at right back in the same way Cuco Martin was - slightly better maybe but still not good enough.

And Bednarek probably needs to go on loan lower down the League to develop as he seems to be way of the level we need.

Last season we had the wrong manager in Puel - but the squad wasn't good enough either. This season I hope we have the right manager in Pellegrino - but at the moment he doesn't have a good enough squad either. I certainly don't think we have two good players in every position as Reed and Co seem to claim.

Lemina and Hoedt were certainly steps in the right direction - but we still need to take a few more steps.

I think our players are good enough now, if Lemina ends up being the industrious DM/CM we are hoping for, and Hoedt is both good in the air and not a liability. The manager has to figure out the right system and style of making it work.

It looks like we have the same problems as last season, in that our build up play is pedestrian and we allow the opposition to get back into position when we go on an attack. We could improve on this with more/higher pressing, but not sure the best way to make a change in our general approach. I'd also like to think that Fraser Forster works on coming for crosses every feasible minute of every training session, but I doubt that happens.

I think our players are good enough now, if Lemina ends up being the industrious DM/CM we are hoping for, and Hoedt is both good in the air and not a liability. The manager has to figure out the right system and style of making it work.

It looks like we have the same problems as last season, in that our build up play is pedestrian and we allow the opposition to get back into position when we go on an attack. We could improve on this with more/higher pressing, but not sure the best way to make a change in our general approach. I'd also like to think that Fraser Forster works on coming for crosses every feasible minute of every training session, but I doubt that happens.

We need a nippy midfielder through the middle.

Our attacking players just aren't good enough. And by this I mean the attacking mids / wingers.

They can't finish, they aren't quick enough with their play, and they don't create enough decent chances for the striker.

Selling Mane for £30m and not adequately replacing his attacking threat was probably the worst bit of business we've done since Bale and Fourpast.

We need a nippy midfielder through the middle.

You mean like Boufal?

What we need is a goalscoring attacking midfielder, who also links the play, works hard and has a bit of pace. And for the love of god, somebody consistent with a good attitude! Do any players like that actually exist? Never mind ones that are unknown and/or affordable!

Our attacking players just aren't good enough. And by this I mean the attacking mids / wingers.

They can't finish, they aren't quick enough with their play, and they don't create enough decent chances for the striker.

Selling Mane for £30m and not adequately replacing his attacking threat was probably the worst bit of business we've done since Bale and Fourpast.

But we signed Redmond and Boufal. You might not think they are good enough, but we did try. We probably should have pushed for more money for Mane, as he is a rare breed of player that creates/scores out of nothing, and scores at a reliable rate. He's Liverpool's best player, ffs. But those players are so difficult to replace - Spurs couldn't replace Bale, Everton will struggle to replace Lukaku. Sigurdsson scores a few goals from midfield (most of which are set pieces) and goes for £45m. We tried, and we MAY have failed, but Boufal fits the mould of player we needed, so I don't want to write him off yet.

Replacing Mane is almost as hard for us as it is for Barcelona to replace Neymar. Mane is a rare breed, there is very very few of those gems around. And we have tried in Boufal which still can deliver.

Also we got 38,5 million for Mane.

:D:lol:

Of course for those that believe we were the 8th best side in the league last season congrats, fill ya boots :)

Well I don't think anyone disputed that, did they? We were the 8th best (or most successful) side, it was more the interpretation of what our points & position meant for our progress year on year, and whether Puel had done a good job.

With Sims and Hesketh in the wings, I'd be surprised by this, unless it's just a cheap gamble.

Well Sims is injured (not sure when he's back), and at €750k it's not the most expensive deal in the world. If he's that good a prospect then worth a gamble.

With Sims and Hesketh in the wings, I'd be surprised by this, unless it's just a cheap gamble.

He wouldn't be signed to compete with Sims & Hesketh this season, he'd probably be playing for the under 18s.

- Hesketh is 21 years old

- Sims is 20 years old

- Hassaini is 16 years old

He wouldn't be signed to compete with Sims & Hesketh this season, he'd probably be playing for the under 18s.

- Hesketh is 21 years old

- Sims is 20 years old

- Hassaini is 16 years old

I missed his age. Potential for the future.

I think the biggest challenge is getting players who can consistently deliver. £15m these days seems to only get you players who perform in fits and starts. Boufal, Tadic, Redmond and Gabbiandini can look top 5 quality one week or for part of the game but absolute garbage the next. Getting players to consistently deliver in our price bracket is a struggle.

And no I have no idea how to resolve it other than hope it evens out to a top 8 finish!