Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Spot On Trousers ..........god I wish

you say that but in 2 seasons time hell be wnted by some top club and well be back to this again why not develope what we have stephens and Yoshi are getting better dont know whats going on with P E H and why dosent Bouffal our once record signing start more often.....................btw Jay scored again for the baggies always liked him.

I reckon it's all about a player going to there and one going here before ours comes here.

Oxy to Chelsea?

Costa to Ath Madrid?

Someone from there to us?

Any idea who they have, forward or midfield wise, who could be available?

The team needs a dynamic, fast, attacking midfielder. Hang on, we've already got one on the books - Callum Slattery. At 18, this could be the right time to give him his chance instead of buying another Tadic or Boufal.

I saw Slattery play for the Under 23's against Reading and was not impressed at all. He seemed on the periphery of the game and did not work hard enough IMO. Only one game I know, but he did not seem anything like the level that require. Jake Hesketh would be a better option but he seems to be perpetually injured.

The team needs a dynamic, fast, attacking midfielder. Hang on, we've already got one on the books - Callum Slattery. At 18, this could be the right time to give him his chance instead of buying another Tadic or Boufal.
If it's anyone from u23s it should be Nathan Tella

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hesketh is exactly the player we need. He seems to pick through balls at will, not exactly quick but seems to have good ball control and he can definately smash one in from outside the box. But as has been said above, he seems extremely fragile like one crunching tackle away from a season ending injury. The happoel game from last season seems to have done a number on him both mentally and physically hes completely dropped from the radar after that game. But he did look like breaking into the first xi after the cup game where he score and assisted i think.

I hope in his sabbatical hes been hitting the weights and he comes back looking a beast. But highly unlikely IMO as i think hes one of those that just cant cope physcically in the pl, probs needs to adapt his game to work around his physical issues like most offensive midfielders. I mean most arent exactly built like tanks even in the pl, silva, ozil, lanzini i admit he may not have the skills that those others have but i hope we find a way to effectively utilize him, the boy has got talents you cant teach.

Not sure I'd use the words fast and dynamic to describe Slattery. From what I've seen of him, he's more likely to make the grade as a Michael Carrick type of steady, deep lying midfielder.

If he makes the grade at all. He hasn't stood out as anything remotely special thus far.

The team's results are largely irrelevant in that context. We have a lot of players playing at older age groups and several out on loan. Say we're gauging the performance on a u21 right back, and we bring Reed, Gallagher, Olomola back in and they win most their games....has the right backs ability changed? It's about producing enough talented players, not necessarily winning every week. You could have an efficient team of players who'll win games but have none of them stand out and make it. All the players I mentioned seem to have something about them and all we'll talking about is using them as squad competition over the next few years to see if they have the quality. You'll never find out otherwise. The alternative is to keep spending big on the likes of Clasie, or bringing in Clucas types. Personally I'd be far more excited to see Sims in the team than I would be spending £20m on Townsend or another more experienced winger who has done fck all.

Yes I agree. I'd rather one on our youth players makes the step up and.plays amazing for our team than a really expensive player comes in and flops. Obviously. But that's not how it always runs, Redmond was one if the more exciting youth players on the entire country and look at the slack he gets. Jwp is one of the best graduates we've had in ages and the same. I like 5he youth philosophy but I prefer lots of.points and European football. I'd rather we sign another mane/toby/lovren/vvd/romeu/Bertrand. After all not ALL of our big signings are flops. I like sims, Gallagher and the lot but they need to fight for there place when they're ready bit by bit.

Or just the typical sort of thing a player says. Glad he will be staying at least one more season though.

Interpret how you want but I know there's at least 3 or 4 players that will have difficulty welcoming him back if it comes to it.

How exactly is that a dig?
“I have a contract with Southampton and I am working every day like I always do. I am professional,”

That sounds like a direct comparison with someone who doesn't give a toss about his contract and has acted totally unprofessionally.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

“I have a contract with Southampton and I am working every day like I always do. I am professional,”

That sounds like a direct comparison with someone who doesn't give a toss about his contract and gas acted totally unprofessionally.

Ah I see. Sorry just me being dense... Thought it.meamt dig at the club. Doh

That sounds like a direct comparison with someone who doesn't give a toss about his contract and has acted totally unprofessionally.

This

Interpret how you want but I know there's at least 3 or 4 players that will have difficulty welcoming him back if it comes to it.
Based on what? In reality they are probably all mates and don't really care that much. Unless a player speaks out and is openly hostile, I can't see any evidence that any of the players would be "angry". It is after all only a game of football.

Based on what? In reality they are probably all mates and don't really care that much. Unless a player speaks out and is openly hostile, I can't see any evidence that any of the players would be "angry". It is after all only a game of football.

Yes it is only a game of football, thanks, just from something I've heard.

I suspect Cedric didnt make that statement, probably from his 'sources'

no doubt, this is timed after talks with SFC about his future etc

But it isn't for those guys is it? It's their career. Should imagine they take that pretty seriously as we do ours

I suspect Cedric didnt make that statement, probably from his 'sources'

no doubt, this is timed after talks with SFC about his future etc

Quite possibly, but I doubt it would have been made against his wishes.

I suspect he has done a deal to leave next year if there's interest, as long as he puts in a professional stint for a season.

Like Virgil should now do.

Or your interpretation of a pretty neutral comment. Probably that rather than him having a go at VVD unless there's a reason to.

As for Hesketh...too lightweight and nowhere near as good as Ben Reeves, and he didn't even get a chance.

Likewise, not impressed so far with Slattery. One player to definitely watch out for is O'Connor who I reckon will be a full international. Still physically a bit of a stick though.

I guess he may have been helped with the quotes. In my working days I wrote many a quote from other people.

It is part of a full interview rather than some kind of issued statement.

It's a nice media trained answer but maybe he said it and maybe that's why it's in the paper?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/SPORT/15499190._Professional__Cedric_unmoved_by_transfer_speculation/

You seem desperate to unlock layers and layers of hidden meaning from a pretty anodyne by-numbers interview.

Or your interpretation of a pretty neutral comment. Probably that rather than him having a go at VVD unless there's a reason to.

As for Hesketh...too lightweight and nowhere near as good as Ben Reeves, and he didn't even get a chance.

Likewise, not impressed so far with Slattery. One player to definitely watch out for is O'Connor who I reckon will be a full international. Still physically a bit of a stick though.

Lol how much of hesketh have you seen? I think he has bags of potential. Am lost about what happened to him after that game introducing himself on to the stage!

From the Echo:

"Saints do still have half an eye on trying to bring in another attacking player, though the odds are currently thought to be against them adding any further to the squad as they will not spend for the sake of it."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15501571.Claise_could_make_Saints_exit/?ref=rss

After such a dire attacking season as the last one, which ultimately got a Manager sacked, I don't think signing an attacker would be "for the sake of it".

Keep VVD and sign an attacking player and it would have been an excellent window IMO.

Without an attacking signing we have a flawed squad with not enough starting XI players with a decent goal record. Again.

From the Echo:

"Saints do still have half an eye on trying to bring in another attacking player, though the odds are currently thought to be against them adding any further to the squad as they will not spend for the sake of it."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15501571.Claise_could_make_Saints_exit/?ref=rss

After such a dire attacking season as the last one, which ultimately got a Manager sacked, I don't think signing an attacker would be "for the sake of it".

Keep VVD and sign an attacking player and it would have been an excellent window IMO.

Without an attacking signing we have a flawed squad with not enough starting XI players with a decent goal record. Again.

Really really poor if we sign no one and fail to address a glaring weakness in the team. Insipid and uninspiring season ahead if that's the case.