Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

The reason that JWP and Davis get picked is because they contribute defensively. Not seen much evidence of that from Ziyech. You've obviously seen more of him than me but how does he differ from Boufal who can also play AM? Frankly they seem similar players -with many of the same qualities and frustrations. While Ziyech may (or may not) be better in your eyes (I think he'd struggle physically)- I'd prefer to try and make things with Boufal.

Have to agree with this. I get to see quite a bit of the Eredivisie and while Ziyech arguably is the best player in the league, physically he makes Boufal look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime time. Ziyech would be bullied by the big players in the league.

The player we should have gone for is Davey Klaassen. Great in bringing the ball from midfield into the box, and can score goals. Shame the dugout pioneers bought him.

He has scored 52 goals & 52 assists in 146 games in the eredevise and whilst the league is suspect his whoscored ratings are superb, he may not be the messiah but he offers more goal threat than davis or jwp in the AM position.

F*uck it, he is the messiah

hakim-ziyech-celta-de-vigo-vs-ajax-10202016_1e04ooj34hssk15ttwbtmjt3ce.jpg?t=-476569993&w=620&h=430

He looks a bit like Lallana, sign him up!

Koeman came down to value for money. Is he a good manager? Yes. Is he one of the best in the world that merits a salary to match? I'd say no. And he also wasn't interested in bringing younger players through. He wanted short term results to boost his own stock. Not necessarily a good thing for us. If we may not have got the right men since, it means the Koeman fall out looks the wrong decision in context, but as a standalone decision I'm not sure it was wrong.

Koeman? Pah. IMO Pochettino was the best manager we've had in the past decade - by a country mile. Now if we could have kept him...

Both Poch and Koeman left for the same reason, the very same as Souness and Strachan under different boards. We are punching above our weight on a financial level.

Hell, how can any sane fan actually moan at either Poch or Koeman leaving. Look at the opportunity they both have to build some sort of small legacy and build their own brand.

Im sure we could afford a little more than what we have done over the past few seasons, but we have managed ourselves sensibly and sustainably. We could never afford to fund the ambitions that Poch/Koeman have to be honest even if we could afford the wages they believed they were worth

“I think we are ready to see what will happen because in the last three or four days there are some good players that can move.

“If there is someone we decide that can improve the squad and is ready to come with us, to share with us our squad, we will be ready.

“We never know. We cannot manage the market.

“It is really difficult to bring in good players. They are really expensive, a lot of money.

“If it’s in the Southampton way we will be there.”

Makes you laugh doesn't it, 'difficult to bring in good players. They are really expensive'. No **** sherlock, we all appreciate that there are bargains to be had, but at some point we need to stretch our budget and invest in a player who can make a difference

TBF, what he said is no different to what any other manager says. When players like Sam Clucas go for £17m, you know you're in the twilight zone.

Lemina for £15m, or Clucas for 17m.

Let me think for a sec....

There are bargains out there to be had and it's much more rewarding to see them develop, rather than see a £30m signing flop.

TBF, what he said is no different to what any other manager says. When players like Sam Clucas go for £17m, you know you're in the twilight zone.

Lemina for £15m, or Clucas for 17m.

Let me think for a sec....

There are bargains out there to be had and it's much more rewarding to see them develop, rather than see a £30m signing flop.

There's still balance in the market though. £15m for Jay Rodriguez and £60m plus for VVD.

Allegedly Iniesta looking at other options than Barca, not our profile I guess but could easily do role knitting the midfield to forward line. Yeah I know... but if only

His major value would be on the training pitch.. ..anyway back to reality!!

Have to say. Its been another totally gash summer from the club.

Really? we haven't sold any of our best players (yet) which is what everyone said they wanted. We have off load some dead weight like Jrod and Gazza and the new signings can't be judged for half a season at least until they are settled and playing.

Maybe this summer will be gash but you won't be able to make a judgement like that until the end of the season.

No pleasing some people!

- sell top players = "gash summer"

- don't sell top players & make club record signing from Juventus & Dutch international centre back from Lazio = "gash summer"

:rolleyes: :mcinnes:

Extend Yoshida's contract - that's been a big highlight for you pal.

I wouldn't say it's been gash but the club have failed to address the issues of last year.... we simply don't score enough goals. Everyone can see it bar les and the board.

People were too happy to blame that on Puel, rather than the squad. Les, the board and the squad have nowhere to hide now.

A good strikers will always score goals.

Watch Chris Woods for Burnley today and compare it with the chance Long had on Saturday.

Long tapped it past the last defender and tried to out muscle him with his speed but conceded a foul.

Woods, Mane, Pelle, (Name a hundred other strikers) use skill to get past defenders before calmly slotting it in.

I wouldn't say it's been gash but the club have failed to address the issues of last year.... we simply don't score enough goals. Everyone can see it bar les and the board.

.. and we haven't improved our options at the other end in goal.

But in defence of Reed, there could be a significant difference in what they can see needs improving, and what finances, restrictions from on high, permit them to put in place. We don't know the true picture of this, but it is an area where I'm inclined to give LR and Jock apprentice some benefit of the doubt.

I'd love us to find another Mane. We announced that one out of the blue, day before deadline day - no previous speculation. He came in with Toby iirc, both not expected 48 hrs before. I don't think Mane even officially came here until September, he had his medical done in germany by the former Bayern physio as a favour.

Lots can happen in a short space as long as we have our ducks lined up.....

IMO we have done a hell of a lot better in this transfer window than in most previous ones. We havent lost players we didnt wanna lose, we signed good players who are proven at the top level and we are getting rid of deadwood that just eat up wages. And IMO even if we sold vvd it wouldnt hurt as much because we already have hoedt ready to take his place. Infact i wish we'd sell now for a stupid fee and get on with signing an attacking mid.

Also whats been bugging me is why we dont appreciate players who can dribble in this club. Having a player like tadic is all well and good when hes having a good game but what he does is not dribble past 2/3 players and create a chance out of nowhere OR far more unlikely, curl it in to the top corner. What he does is play a through ball in behind or barely beat 1 player and cross. Otherwise just lose the ball while trying the same thing over and over.

Looking at most clubs in the pl they have atleast 1 player who is like a creative hub. Someone who beats players left and right and lays it on a plate for the striker/scores himself, or scores regularly from outside the box. Someone who the team relies on to orchestrate their attack. Lanzini, shaqiri, coutinho, payet, mahrez, eriksen, mooy even. But we have tadic who right now cant orchestrate jack sh##t. How long has it been since we saw him be unplayable like most other creative playmakers can be when theyre on song? Unless boufal is given a chance to prove himself asap and he takes it, we should sign a creative playmaker and sell tadic right now.

We bought a striker in January (which had some people declaring we would win the league as he was so good) we have bought a CB (everyone agrees we needed one since Fonte left), we bought a partner for our overworked defensive mid (everyone agreed that was needed) and we apparently were trying to sign an attacking midfielder but that appears to have gone cold.

Oh and no one has left that we didn't want to leave. Oh and we got rid of a very unpopular manager.

I am as despondent as everyone else with the lack of goals at the moment but I can't see that the club haven't tried to address the obvious flaws in the squad.

Three games in we are unbeaten in the league. The new manager needs a bit of time to get the squad doing what he wants.. If in the second half of the season it's the same then we can panic...after all we could be in Palaces shoes!

A player who intrigues me (I know I'm probably in the minority with this one) is Adama Traore from Boro. He's got real pace and has great ability to beat 2 or 3 players off the dribble which is exactly what we need at the moment. He isn't anywhere near the final product yet but at only 21 he has loads of potential and I think he would be a decent signing for us.

We bought a striker in January (which had some people declaring we would win the league as he was so good) we have bought a CB (everyone agrees we needed one since Fonte left), we bought a partner for our overworked defensive mid (everyone agreed that was needed) and we apparently were trying to sign an attacking midfielder but that appears to have gone cold.

Oh and no one has left that we didn't want to leave. Oh and we got rid of a very unpopular manager.

I am as despondent as everyone else with the lack of goals at the moment but I can't see that the club haven't tried to address the obvious flaws in the squad.

Three games in we are unbeaten in the league. The new manager needs a bit of time to get the squad doing what he wants.. If in the second half of the season it's the same then we can panic...after all we could be in Palaces shoes!

Sound words Fred.

I shall copy and paste when needed to save me having to repeat myself.

Thanks.

A player who intrigues me (I know I'm probably in the minority with this one) is Adama Traore from Boro. He's got real pace and has great ability to beat 2 or 3 players off the dribble which is exactly what we need at the moment. He isn't anywhere near the final product yet but at only 21 he has loads of potential and I think he would be a decent signing for us.

Agreed ... I'd been thinking this too. As you say very raw but different to our other options. Should also help the press with that pace and, potentially, a good option to leave up top on his own when we're 'backs to the wall'. Young lad at Brom, Leko, looks similar.

We need someone with end product. Adama Traore is a headless chicken who has a poor injury record- the reason he was at Villa and now Boro is because that is his level and until he develops an ability to cross a ball or at least learn not to keep running into cul-de-sacs, that will be his peak.

People give Redmond stick, but he is twice the player.

Makes you laugh doesn't it, 'difficult to bring in good players. They are really expensive'. No **** sherlock, we all appreciate that there are bargains to be had, but at some point we need to stretch our budget and invest in a player who can make a difference

As fans, we are being taken for a ride. Sadly the majority are a bit slow on the uptake and it takes us circa 3 years to get with the times.

As fans, we are being taken for a ride. Sadly the majority are a bit slow on the uptake and it takes us circa 3 years to get with the times.

I'm not sure we're being taken for a ride, we've bought 3 players so far, 2 of them have been around the £15m - £20m mark, I'm not sure many other teams of our stature have done this. The problem as I see it is that to get proven prem player you are looking at £30m upwards, we're just never going to pay this. Everton bought Sigurdson for £45m, great player that I think he is, that is way over priced. Everton with their new money are now moving into the bracket where they can poach players off Swansea and the teams below them, probably us included now, up till last year I don't think that has been the case. Fact is proven premier league players don't come cheap, they also don't normally come to us.

It'd be interesting to know how the new owners are going to run the club, I wasn't expecting too much this transfer window but I guess next summer will be telling, just have to wait and see, until then we'll keep on trying to unearth gems and hoping we can get a few years out of them

I'm not sure we're being taken for a ride, we've bought 3 players so far, 2 of them have been around the £15m - £20m mark, I'm not sure many other teams of our stature have done this. The problem as I see it is that to get proven prem player you are looking at £30m upwards, we're just never going to pay this. Everton bought Sigurdson for £45m, great player that I think he is, that is way over priced. Everton with their new money are now moving into the bracket where they can poach players off Swansea and the teams below them, probably us included now, up till last year I don't think that has been the case. Fact is proven premier league players don't come cheap, they also don't normally come to us.

It'd be interesting to know how the new owners are going to run the club, I wasn't expecting too much this transfer window but I guess next summer will be telling, just have to wait and see, until then we'll keep on trying to unearth gems and hoping we can get a few years out of them

What new money? They don't have a Lukaku to sell every year. As for the notion that they can poach players off us :lol:. Even their far wealthier neighbours are finding that difficult now. There is Martina I suppose.

I don't think that fans are being taken for a ride, I do however think that there are some who think that we're a bigger club than we actually are. We just do not produce enough revenue to compete with the best, whether this will change at any time in the near future I just couldn't say.

I don't think that fans are being taken for a ride, I do however think that there are some who think that we're a bigger club than we actually are. We just do not produce enough revenue to compete with the best, whether this will change at any time in the near future I just couldn't say.

Not sure many people believe we can compete financially with the top 6 (6, not 7). Our revenue is more than enough to compete with everyone else though.

Ok name some creative players that realistically we could sign? Right now who would give us the X factor?

Give me a computer that tracks every league player in the top 40 leagues, a team of analysts and half an hour and I would come up with some names

Think people need to be more patient. In a market where average players go for £15-20m now, you can get ahead by being the club not afraid to play academy players. The bar is lower, they don't all need to be Bales or Walcotts, just stop us having to pay fortunes for average players like Clucas.

For all the criticism, JWP would cost us a lot to buy from elsewhere already, Stephens would be worth a bit. Plenty of others are capable of coming through and offering enough, at very least reliable premier league squad players. McQueen, Targett, Slattery, Tella, Sims, Hesketh, Gallagher, Olomola from what I've seen. So is it sensible to pad out the squad with expensive signings?

Personally I think each summer/january we should do as we have the last 2 windows. Big money (for us) on Gabbiadini, Lemina and Hoedt. Three players to improve the first team who we'd clearly tracked a while. Beyond that, just give youngsters games.

Clamouring to instantly fix all problems in the squad seems a little over the top when our squad already looks far better than half the league.

Normally I'm all for playing youth players but the last few season's are u23 squad has been relegated and our under 18s have been pretty poor. If these lads can't compete in the under 23 premier league then why can they in the actual premier league. Crystal palace have no points at the moment and have benteke who I'm sure a lot of people on here would love to have. It's a weird one but I'd rather spend with the chance of the player being a flop instead of not spending and it coming back and biting is like the striker last summer and the Cb in the winter window.

Normally I'm all for playing youth players but the last few season's are u23 squad has been relegated and our under 18s have been pretty poor. If these lads can't compete in the under 23 premier league then why can they in the actual premier league. Crystal palace have no points at the moment and have benteke who I'm sure a lot of people on here would love to have. It's a weird one but I'd rather spend with the chance of the player being a flop instead of not spending and it coming back and biting is like the striker last summer and the Cb in the winter window.

It's not about achieving things as a team. it's about individual development.

Absolutely nothing like the first team....

or so I'm told.

It's not about achieving things as a team. it's about individual development.

Absolutely nothing like the first team....

or so I'm told.

I'm not gonna pretend that I actually watched a single game of the u23s or u18s last season. But still something is pretty worrying there with those results and the lack of kids in England youth teams, especially when they keep getting touted as one to watch.