Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I thought that Sims was currently out injured?

As for incomings I wouldn't mind seeing us go for Vincent Aboubakar from Porto. Already got 4 goals in 4 games. Big, strong, powerful and quick and looks like he can play in variety of frontline positions.

Vietto rumours still circling.

An outside option such as Remy.

Interesting final 24 hours. It's going to be exciting!

But I just have the feeling it's going to be total silence. Which is good about Van Dijk, slightly disappointing otherwise, but not unexpected.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If there aren't any links tonight then its got to be extremely unlikely.

Have already had the "its quiet" stuff leaked to Adam Leitch & Simon Peach which is usually the precursor to no incomings.

Big mistake IMO as an attacker with pace would have rounded off a decent window.

Classic guessing from the echo. At the stage of the window, you do not have half an eye on a transfer. You have everything arranged: Medicals, flights, cars, staff, hotels and contracts agreed and ready to sign. Think we'll know by the end of the day if its likely or not. They'll be arriving tonight if they sign.

I think past windows have shown that there can be a domino effect once one club moves. It looks like we have an attacking target in mind who's probably not leaving/prefers another club, but could end up on the way if other deals go through. I'd assume from the lack of press noise that it's highly unlikely in our case.

If there aren't any links tonight then its got to be extremely unlikely.

Have already had the "its quiet" stuff leaked to Adam Leitch & Simon Peach which is usually the precursor to no incomings.

Big mistake IMO as an attacker with pace would have rounded off a decent window.

If true then another end to a window where people are justifiably disappointed and the usual suspects with desperately try to say what a good window it's been. A bit like last summer and January then.

If true then another end to a window where people are justifiably disappointed and the usual suspects with desperately try to say what a good window it's been. A bit like last summer and January then.

We've made some good signings and kept our best players so it is a good window but, that said, attacking was and is our weakest area and we've not only failed to strengthen, we've actually left ourselves with even fewer options than we had at the end of last season. The fact we are rumoured to be in for an attacker must indicate that the board realise we need to strengthen so will be a bit of a failure if we don't manage to do a deal and that we've left it to the last day.

We've made some good signings and kept our best players so it is a good window but, that said, attacking was and is our weakest area and we've not only failed to strengthen, we've actually left ourselves with even fewer options than we had at the end of last season. The fact we are rumoured to be in for an attacker must indicate that the board realise we need to strengthen so will be a bit of a failure if we don't manage to do a deal and that we've left it to the last day.
How is it a good window if we have failed to strengthen in the one area where we needed someone the most? Yes we have kept our players which is a positive but if we don't strengthen our attacking options then we are in for another very boring and functional season which is really going to make me pretty unenthusiastic about watching us every week.

How is it a good window if we have failed to strengthen in the one area where we needed someone the most? Yes we have kept our players which is a positive but if we don't strengthen our attacking options then we are in for another very boring and functional season which is really going to make me pretty unenthusiastic about watching us every week.

Last season people were crying out for a DM and another CB we got both of those and we have off loaded some dead weight from the squad. Assuming no last minute deals we have also kept hold of our best players for the first summer in years. Considering some of your previous summer meltdowns I can't believe you can't consider this a good window.

Fans always want more, of course, I'd like a really good AM with a high assist rate to get the best out of strikers and I had hoped for a new goal keeper rather than reward Forster for being **** but really assuming no last minute sales this has got to go down as a good summer for us.

Last season people were crying out for a DM and another CB we got both of those and we have off loaded some dead weight from the squad. Assuming no last minute deals we have also kept hold of our best players for the first summer in years. Considering some of your previous summer meltdowns I can't believe you can't consider this a good window.

Fans always want more, of course, I'd like a really good AM with a high assist rate to get the best out of strikers and I had hoped for a new goal keeper rather than reward Forster for being **** but really assuming no last minute sales this has got to go down as a good summer for us.

Agreed but arguably this window only rectifies the abysmal window we had last summer and doesn't address the problems identified last window. My prediction is that we will continue to struggle to score until Jan when we finally do something about it. We always seem a window behind. Can't argue with the players we have brought in though.

Agreed but arguably this window only rectifies the abysmal window we had last summer and doesn't address the problems identified last window. My prediction is that we will continue to struggle to score until Jan when we finally do something about it. We always seem a window behind. Can't argue with the players we have brought in though.

No doubt last summer we dropped the ball big time with some poor signings leaving several areas of the squad that needed sorting but the chances of us sorting all of them in one window were slight IMO. Given that holding onto our best and strengthening some weaknesses in the squad (even if they were self inflicted by poor recruitment last summer) has to go down as a good window in my book even if we didn't get every thing done I would have liked.

No doubt last summer we dropped the ball big time with some poor signings leaving several areas of the squad that needed sorting but the chances of us sorting all of them in one window were slight IMO. Given that holding onto our best and strengthening some weaknesses in the squad (even if they were self inflicted by poor recruitment last summer) has to go down as a good window in my book even if we didn't get every thing done I would have liked.

In isolation yes but given we massively messed up last summer it wouldn't have been too hard to plug the gaps we left for ourselves.

Our goals to game ratio and our shots to goals ratio must be the worst they have been since we came up. That's why it is a poor window if we can look at those stats and then do nothing about it when we had the opportunity. This of course can change if we do decide to bring someone in. They may have little affect on those stats but at least we will have tried to sort it rather than sitting on our hands.

It's all very well saying we need an AM who scores goals, links the play, creates chances and puts a shift in, but not many of those exist. Even Dele Alli is pretty average when it comes to all round performance, but he clearly makes up for that with his goal threat. If they DO exist, they are either prohibitively expensive, and/or on everyone's radar because they have scored/set up loads of goals so appear on all the relevant and easy to find lists.

I have long thought that finding an accomplished central midfielder to play alongside Romeu should be the priority, because at the very least it could give more freedom to the player in AM, whether that's encouraging Davis or JWP to be more focused on attacking, or whether it allows us to put Boufal there without leaving us completely exposed. Therefore, I have to be happy that we have signed Lemina and then Hoedt as well.

Plus I think there's more to our attacking struggles than just individuals underperforming.

It's all very well saying we need an AM who scores goals, links the play, creates chances and puts a shift in, but not many of those exist. Even Dele Alli is pretty average when it comes to all round performance, but he clearly makes up for that with his goal threat. If they DO exist, they are either prohibitively expensive, and/or on everyone's radar because they have scored/set up loads of goals so appear on all the relevant and easy to find lists.

I have long thought that finding an accomplished central midfielder to play alongside Romeu should be the priority, because at the very least it could give more freedom to the player in AM, whether that's encouraging Davis or JWP to be more focused on attacking, or whether it allows us to put Boufal there without leaving us completely exposed. Therefore, I have to be happy that we have signed Lemina and then Hoedt as well.

Plus I think there's more to our attacking struggles than just individuals underperforming.

That's a cop out quite frankly. We do our homework and often get in a load of players we have barely heard of who do really well. Fans may believe that not many exist but you can bet that we have a list of potential signings in that mould should any of our players get injured for example.

Yann Karamoh reported to be having a medical at Inter Milan this morning although the deal with Caen has not yet been finalised. It's been reported that his lawyer is still in France negotiating with the club.

because it's complicated. Inter don't seem to have the 7 or 8 million that's required and are after a loan. Caen don't mind that as long as it's an obligatory purchase deal in the end, ie Inter have to buy him next summer and can't back out in any shape or form. I suppose that all needs some solid negociation to make sure that nobody can welsh on any agreement at all.

All that's the official version, now that Inter can't find 8 million would surprise me and I'd guess that they want to test and try before they buy as the old saying goes. Some of these lads have a despicable attitude and the antics of Karamoh's entourage might just go to suggest that.

Apparently thrown a strop this morning and although he is at Staplewood, he isn't actually training.

Source has said although in the past couple of days it looked as though he was 100% off, he is now fully expecting him to stay. Still expecting a late bid from Liverpool but unless it's well above what's anticipated, we wont be selling.

New player is an attacker. No been told who, but apparently he will be "around the first team, high potential".

Vietto - Loan, option to buy.

This isn't based on anything ITK, but I reckon we'll end up with Vietto on loan. Madrid have said he can go, he won't get game time. They initially wanted 20m euros for him, no one really offering that amount - they're now in a position where our initial loan offer comes back into play. I cannot see the window closing and him still being a Madrid player, it would be a true waste of a talented young player.

Rumours of Long off to Brighton, cannot let him go and not bring in an extra striker. In two minds about seeing him leave tbh

I'm the same - surely a Gabbi and Long partnership would be more effective than Austin and Gabbi?

Used in the right way (ala under Koeman) and Long is an asset for us.

This isn't based on anything ITK, but I reckon we'll end up with Vietto on loan. Madrid have said he can go, he won't get game time. They initially wanted 20m euros for him, no one really offering that amount - they're now in a position where our initial loan offer comes back into play. I cannot see the window closing and him still being a Madrid player, it would be a true waste of a talented young player.

Is he really that good or what we need though? From the little I've seen he's pretty similar to Juanmi and scored less last season as well. Had one good season back in Argentina and then failed to live up to that. In addition we've already got quite a few of those second striker / play in the three behind the front man types. Personally I'm not that worried if we don't sign anyone. Assuming VVD comes back into the fold I think that will free up a lot of space for the midfield to link up with attack much better than they have recently. Granted most of our players need about fifty shots in order to score but I'm hoping that at least some of that will be a confidence issue and besides which MP should be good enough to coach them rather than just buy solutions.

Have to be honest, if I were looking at a striker it would be a big man. We've not replaced Pelle, we miss his goals and link up play and it gives us an outlet we don't currently have. Gabbiadini can play off him without any problems and would probably prefer that. All about options innit? Anyway, good luck to Vietto if we do get him but seems to be flavour of the month rather than what we actually need.....

That's a cop out quite frankly. We do our homework and often get in a load of players we have barely heard of who do really well. Fans may believe that not many exist but you can bet that we have a list of potential signings in that mould should any of our players get injured for example.

What's a cop out? Saying not many players exist with all those attributes? I'm sure the club have many 'in that mould', but they will be unproven in some areas, most likely goalscoring. Soufiane Boufal was undoubtedly on that list, so maybe we should give him more of a chance?

I'm not saying that we don't need an AM, but rather that the CM was more important, and also a lot easier to unearth for less money.

He's not all that young really. 24 in December I believe, I mean that's not an old crock but in today's footballing world of 19 year old superstars, 24 is mid-career.

No links with Vietto for ages so hard to see anything emerging now.

Having had a very significant attacking problem for the whole of the last season, and only having scored one goal from open play in four games this season, to not sign an attacker of any kind this summer is quite frankly bizarre.

Pellegrino left with a flawed squad, just like Puel was.

Excellent window in many regards, but the Saints way seems to be to always leave one position clearly lacking.

We have 3 left backs and 6 centre backs yet a shortage of starting XI players with pace or a goal return in the final third.

Of our best XI only Gabbi will score more than 10, so we will struggle for goals again. Surely the club can see that?

Hunch - we've agreed to sell VVD, but only in January. Will be ace if this is pure fantasy. I'd still like to see us get another player in who knows where the goal is at the other end. Sorry, i mean A player who knows where the goal is

No links with Vietto for ages so hard to see anything emerging now.

Having had a very significant attacking problem for the whole of the last season, and only having scored one goal from open play in four games this season, to not sign an attacker of any kind this summer is quite frankly bizarre.

Pellegrino left with a flawed squad, just like Puel was.

Excellent window in many regards, but the Saints way seems to be to always leave one position clearly lacking.

We have 3 left backs and 6 centre backs yet a shortage of starting XI players with pace or a goal return in the final third.

Of our best XI only Gabbi will score more than 10, so we will struggle for goals again. Surely the club can see that?

Nice to see your positivity hasn't left you Charlie. :) Calm down there is still times and the ITKs are suggesting an attacking player. Remember that Mane appeared out of nowhere without any links when he signed.

Every club always feels they need more though. In my view, we have upgraded our midfield area and upgraded our defense by buying a proven replacement for Fonte.

An additional option in the final third would make it an ideal window, but this is the first summer in a couple of years where we have focused on improving what we have, rather than replacing what we've sold.

Vincent Janssen if they sign Llorente?

Seen him play a couple of times for the Netherlands. Wasn't impressed. His off the ball movement was poor and he constantly made runs into the wrong place. It was like he wasn't on the same wavelength as the rest of the team. Maybe he's one of those strikers who needs the ball gifted to him. Made me think of Beattie and how he never would have scored as many goals as he did if it wasn't for Ormerod.

Every club always feels they need more though. In my view, we have upgraded our midfield area and upgraded our defense by buying a proven replacement for Fonte.

An additional option in the final third would make it an ideal window, but this is the first summer in a couple of years where we have focused on improving what we have, rather than replacing what we've sold.

Very fair and true. Nippy attacker would be icing on the cake though

I think what people are asking the club to do is at least try to resolve the problem with our attacking midfield, rather than just throwing their hands up and saying it's too difficult to find anyone. Of course we can't buy the handful of players out there who are proven to be the best performers in this position, but we can't buy the best centre backs or defensive midfielders either - our whole transfer model is about finding the players who'll eventually show up on the radars of bigger clubs once they're playing for us.

You're right though insofar as Boufal was presumably an attempt to do this last year, so its very frustrating that he seems to barely get a look in.

At the start of the summer I think 99.9% of us we in agreement that a CB and DCM partner for OR were the key areas plus keeping the players we had.

We've done that so to now be mithering how we've not secured some mythical AM is rather pathetic.

Yes we all know we are short of goals but it appears some of our online fanbase live in a world where the sort of players the are alluding to grow on the magic footballer tree.

Nab one in a last min deal and we've had an outstanding window, don't and it's still been excellent.

At the start of the summer I think 99.9% of us we in agreement that a CB and DCM partner for OR were the key areas plus keeping the players we had.

We've done that so to now be mithering how we've not secured some mythical AM is rather pathetic.

Yes we all know we are short of goals but it appears some of our online fanbase live in a world where the sort of players the are alluding to grow on the magic footballer tree.

Nab one in a last min deal and we've had an outstanding window, don't and it's still been excellent.

Agree - assuming we keep VVD, which I think we will.

We do clearly lack creativity though and I've no doubt that Les has seen that as well.

Personally, I think it's going to be another wide forward, when for me, we are missing creativity in the middle of the park.

100% this.