Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Massive gamble not getting anyone in who can play upfront. Only 1 injury away from being seriously weak when it comes to forward options. To think we let 3 forwards go on loan (Seager, Olomola and Gallagher) and sold Rodriguez without one incoming is not very good planning.

Well if twitter rumours are to be believed the Vietto loan deal may be happening.

Massive gamble not getting anyone in who can play upfront. Only 1 injury away from being seriously weak when it comes to forward options. To think we let 3 forwards go on loan (Seager, Olomola and Gallagher) and sold Rodriguez without one incoming is not very good planning.

Agree. When Rodriguez was sold I assumed that meant Gallagher would remain in the squad this year. As that hasn't happened, surely we must have intended bringing someone else in?

Do all the facepalms you like, he's slow, doesn't hold the ball up, has very little technique and gets injured regularly. Even his good season for QPR involved the team getting overrun most weeks. He'll take a few chances but we've never looked a better team with him in it. Far less able than Pelle was, and good reason other clubs didn't sign him after his QPR goals.
Plus one. I have never rated him and, if he hadn't scored the winner at OT, I don't think he'd have half as many backing him.

The way we play, we either need him to show intelligent movement or strength to hold up the play and bring others into the game. He's got neither.

I would rather have kept Gallagher.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Do all the facepalms you like, he's slow, doesn't hold the ball up, has very little technique and gets injured regularly. Even his good season for QPR involved the team getting overrun most weeks. He'll take a few chances but we've never looked a better team with him in it. Far less able than Pelle was, and good reason other clubs didn't sign him after his QPR goals.

He has excellent ball control and first touch, is an excellent header of the ball and can finish. Shane Long is fast.... Matt Le Tissier played his entire career in a team that got overrun most weeks, what's your point there?

I would rather have kept Gallagher.

Not sure if trolling or actually serious..

its a risky business criticising goal-scoring strikers - they score, you look a plumb.

You do need players that put the ball in the back of the net, its just that we want them to do that, AND terrorise opponents with pace or ability in the air. I used to dislike Stern John. Plenty of goals, but with his zero work-rate, at what cost to the effectiveness of the side as a whole? Seeing as we were almost relegated with him in the team, perhaps not AS effective as we could have been. Can we afford to have Austin in the side jogging around waiting to gobble up the chance that comes his way? Maybe we can.

Do we create enough proper chances that we could sacrifice a few (assuming less would be created if he played) knowing that his conversion rate is higher than others like Long? Tough one. Off the bench when we are chasing a game he seems like the ideal man to thrown up front to me. But lead the attack from the off? Not so sure.

Really really poor if we sign no one and fail to address a glaring weakness in the team. Insipid and uninspiring season ahead if that's the case.

From the Echo:

"Saints do still have half an eye on trying to bring in another attacking player, though the odds are currently thought to be against them adding any further to the squad as they will not spend for the sake of it."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15501571.Claise_could_make_Saints_exit/?ref=rss

After such a dire attacking season as the last one, which ultimately got a Manager sacked, I don't think signing an attacker would be "for the sake of it".

Keep VVD and sign an attacking player and it would have been an excellent window IMO.

Without an attacking signing we have a flawed squad with not enough starting XI players with a decent goal record. Again.

In Les we trust!!

Although we have weaker attacking options this year than last year... Bit of a poor joke if it remains that way.

Can't wait till Gabbi and Austin inevitably get injured...

Edited by Saint86

its a risky business criticising goal-scoring strikers - they score, you look a plumb.

You do need players that put the ball in the back of the net, its just that we want them to do that, AND terrorise opponents with pace or ability in the air. I used to dislike Stern John. Plenty of goals, but with his zero work-rate, at what cost to the effectiveness of the side as a whole? Seeing as we were almost relegated with him in the team, perhaps not AS effective as we could have been. Can we afford to have Austin in the side jogging around waiting to gobble up the chance that comes his way? Maybe we can.

Do we create enough proper chances that we could sacrifice a few (assuming less would be created if he played) knowing that his conversion rate is higher than others like Long? Tough one. Off the bench when we are chasing a game he seems like the ideal man to thrown up front to me. But lead the attack from the off? Not so sure.

A fair analysis. I would argue that while his movement isn't very good in general, he does have decent movement in the box, and is actually likely to get on the end of a few crosses. Gabbiadini has a much better all round game and should be first choice, but he has been playing lately and against Huddersfield can we really say his contribution was significant?

I saw Austin have several excellent games for us last season, where he showed a good touch, determined harrying of defenders etc. I think it's frankly ridiculous to write him off as a pointless member of our team.

Although I share the concern about our forward line with some of those above, the difference from last year is that our 3 forward options include a clear first choice (Gabbiadini), with 2 backups with obvious strengths (Austin - finishing, Long - pace). Last year, the limited (but still good) Austin was our first choice, and neither of our two backups (Long & Rodriguez) had demonstrated they could be relied on to regularly lead the line. We might still only have 3 strikers, but we have essentially replaced our 3rd choice with a new 1st choice. Sign another, and you have a scenario where Austin or Long don't even make the bench.

Is the backing for Austin all based on a season with QPR years ago? In a very attacking team that disregarded defence and went down?

Probably more due to the fact that according to the stats he was our most proficient league scorer last season - scored once every 2.5 games compared to 2.75 for Gabbi, 4.8 for JRod and 10.7 for Long. He had a greater proportion of his appearances as a sub than Gabbi too so had less time per game to do it (4 out of 15 appearances as a sub for Austin only 1 in 11 for Gabbi). Admittedly 2 of those goals were Penalties but then again he didn't miss any of his unlike Gabbi and Long.

People may not like his style but he knows how to get the ball in the back of the net end of. Personally I think Gabbi and Austin are both great options to have up front and it's the service to them both that is a bigger issue. Long's finishing was the other noticeable problem as there were many chances I can remember that he really should have put away last season. I would have also kept Gallagher as an option but i'm guessing if we are only expecting to play 1 up top that the club consider the trio of Gabbi, Austin and Long enough to cover it.

Gabbi is twice the player of Austin. He demonstrated last year that if we give him the ball in the box, he will stick it away (that goal, on the turn, against united in the final, proves he's natural goal scorer, to me) and he has pace to play on the shoulder (unlike Austin).

The trouble is, the service we are providing him is poor.

Currently we are too slow (on the ball) and too easy to play against.

Probably more due to the fact that according to the stats he was our most proficient league scorer last season - scored once every 2.5 games compared to 2.75 for Gabbi, 4.8 for JRod and 10.7 for Long. He had a greater proportion of his appearances as a sub than Gabbi too so had less time per game to do it (4 out of 15 appearances as a sub for Austin only 1 in 11 for Gabbi). Admittedly 2 of those goals were Penalties but then again he didn't miss any of his unlike Gabbi and Long.

People may not like his style but he knows how to get the ball in the back of the net end of. Personally I think Gabbi and Austin are both great options to have up front and it's the service to them both that is a bigger issue. Long's finishing was the other noticeable problem as there were many chances I can remember that he really should have put away last season. I would have also kept Gallagher as an option but i'm guessing if we are only expecting to play 1 up top that the club consider the trio of Gabbi, Austin and Long enough to cover it.

This, this, 100% this! In the Huddersfield game we were totally unable to keep possession of the ball in their half, let along create chances. How many crosses into the box were there? How many well-judged through-balls. I did think on a few occasions that someone like Pelle, winning headers and holding the ball up, could help to bring the ineffective supporting trio more into play. But I'm not sure that long-ball hold-up play is what we are 'supposed' to be doing. I think our AMs and full-backs are supposed to fluidly pass the ball around and work their way up the park, before doing something clever and setting up a chance for our main goalscorer. In the last 5 minutes we saw a bit of this (with Long actually doing more damage than Tadic, Redmond or Davis had managed) but for the 85 minutes beforehand it had been hopeless. How much of this was about the Huddersfield pressing and how much about the poor movement, inaccurate passing, backwards passing, poor decision-making etc I don't know. What I do know is that as an attacking force we are miles and miles off what we were under Poch and to a lesser extent Koeman.

This, this, 100% this! In the Huddersfield game we were totally unable to keep possession of the ball in their half, let along create chances. How many crosses into the box were there? How many well-judged through-balls. I did think on a few occasions that someone like Pelle, winning headers and holding the ball up, could help to bring the ineffective supporting trio more into play. But I'm not sure that long-ball hold-up play is what we are 'supposed' to be doing. I think our AMs and full-backs are supposed to fluidly pass the ball around and work their way up the park, before doing something clever and setting up a chance for our main goalscorer. In the last 5 minutes we saw a bit of this (with Long actually doing more damage than Tadic, Redmond or Davis had managed) but for the 85 minutes beforehand it had been hopeless. How much of this was about the Huddersfield pressing and how much about the poor movement, inaccurate passing, backwards passing, poor decision-making etc I don't know. What I do know is that as an attacking force we are miles and miles off what we were under Poch and to a lesser extent Koeman.

Hold-up play wasn't all that Pelle offered, or Lambert before him. Both were brilliant at dragging defenders around to create space for others. Gabbiadini can do this on the break and Austin has a bit of that quality too, but I don't feel like either can really carve out openings for Tadic/Redmond when we're comfortably moving it around the opposition box.

That's because he's a dog**** footballer and we spend big on a far better striker who'd get some goals if we actually left him on the damn pitch each game.

Behave. Last season before his injury and after is not signing a striker he was on quality form for us and without his goals we would be probably lost a ton of points. The way saintsweb works is someone complains, some goon like you reads it and complains escalating the original complaint until people hate him. Austin is a quality footballer, his movement and defensive contribution is lacking but you don't score 15 goals in a premier league season for a relegated team if you're a rubbish footballer.

Gabbi is twice the player of Austin. He demonstrated last year that if we give him the ball in the box, he will stick it away (that goal, on the turn, against united in the final, proves he's natural goal scorer, to me) and he has pace to play on the shoulder (unlike Austin).

For a short stint they both put plenty of and all of our goals away. It's just Austin's was longer ago. We're just not playing a style that suits Austin. Austin needs the ball put to his feet in the box and he'll get it in.

Realistically who could we bring in? Obviously an attacking player that can give us creativity. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Who would be the perfect signing? Mine would be Ziyech, yes I keep banging on about him but he is quality.

There were signs prior to his shoulder injury that Austin's game was developing. He was holding the ball up better & linking play well. The problem (apart from his injury record) he's got is his lack of pace & the way we play. Personally I think we could get him into a 4-3-1-2 against the weaker sides, but ultimately I think we'll end up disappointed with his Saints career

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a short stint they both put plenty of and all of our goals away. It's just Austin's was longer ago. We're just not playing a style that suits Austin. Austin needs the ball put to his feet in the box and he'll get it in.

Looks like Josh Sim's is heading to Sheffield Wednesday, would prefer him staying to be honest.....

I really hope not. Good enough to make a contribution and offers something different to our other "supporting" forwards. He also qualifies for a free squad place still so doesn't count towards the 25.

The only exception to the above is if we are signing another supporting forward who is class.

Looks like Josh Sim's is heading to Sheffield Wednesday, would prefer him staying to be honest.....

Yes, this is disappointing, I was hoping that he and Gallagher would get some opportunities this season.

Perhaps farming players out is one of the consequences of our early exit from the League Cup. Or perhaps Les thinks it'll stand us in good stead next season if they've got some experience of the Championship.

To be honest, Sheffield Wednesday is a good club with a good manager. He'll get game time there and it will be interesting to see how he does.

Not sure this makes an addition any more likely, I think we're just trimming the squad down a little.

To be honest, Sheffield Wednesday is a good club with a good manager. He'll get game time there and it will be interesting to see how he does.

Not sure this makes an addition any more likely, I think we're just trimming the squad down a little.

We are still light up top I think. A long term injury to Gabbi or Austin and we'd be struggling a bit.

Lol how much of hesketh have you seen? I think he has bags of potential. Am lost about what happened to him after that game introducing himself on to the stage!

In reply to both you and the poster above regarding Hesketh. 1/ He didn't fare very well during the Burnley game and was injured for a long time, he's been injured since, he was taken off by Puel away at Be'er Sheva because it was obvious he really wasn't going to do anything out there.

2/ Ben Reeves is a damn good player (when he's fit) and he's slight and I'd have no problem playing him.

3/ Only seen a bit of Slattery, what little I've seen I'd file under 'anonymous'.

4/ Not too bothered by the odd flashy goal at under 23 or lower level; I want to see game understanding, taking control of matters when the play's against you, quick movement and passing and those are all areas Hesketh is a bit hit and miss in, especially with his back to goal. Sometimes he shows good awareness, sometimes not and the latter seem to coincide with when he's pressured.

I thought that Sims was currently out injured?

As for incomings I wouldn't mind seeing us go for Vincent Aboubakar from Porto. Already got 4 goals in 4 games. Big, strong, powerful and quick and looks like he can play in variety of frontline positions.

Vietto rumours still circling.

An outside option such as Remy.

Interesting final 24 hours. It's going to be exciting!