The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

Have absolutely no real evidence to base this concern on...but 2 down at half time can you really see Pellegrini being the inspirational motivator? I know Iain Duncan Smith has taught us all to never underestimate the determination of a quiet man, but just can't see it for some reason.

what we want, is pashun mush. Someone like Pulis who will give the hairdryer treatment to the mercenaries we have

But but David Moyes is British! Funny how people can judge a manager who's never had the opportunity at a club at a higher level like ours. It's an argument equivalent to never playing a youth player because "they've never done it on the big stage". It does baffle me.

So that's a vote for Alan Knill then. Brave.

Have absolutely no real evidence to base this concern on...but 2 down at half time can you really see Pellegrini being the inspirational motivator? I know Iain Duncan Smith has taught us all to never underestimate the determination of a quiet man, but just can't see it for some reason.

Or you could go in 2-0 up at half time against the eventual league winners and not bother coming back out at all for the second half, then ending up lucky to come off with a point.

Motivation is a key point but you must be able to ensure the players are on it from the start, throughout, and come the end. I suspected (and it is just my view) the person most inclined to assume that role last year was Erwin, rather than Ronald.

To be fair to Pellegrini City had some big injury problems this season. Took a quick look at the games played; Silva 25, KDB 25, Kompany 14, Aguero 30; Can't underestimate how key those 4 are to City.

League games perhaps but then you have to add League Cup, Cup, Champions League and Internationals to that.

One of the aspects that a succesful manager has to deal with when you're competing on 4 fronts and all your players are internationals.

Don't particularly want any of them. I've fallen love with Rudi and the club should do everything in their power to get him because I want him and I want him now.

Pereira looks astonishingly average - exchange Greece for Scotland and basically he's Alex McLeish.

Puel looks boring. One league wonder and drab. No.

Pelligrini basically a central American Peter Stringfellow.

I'd go Manuel P as the best option of the three but don't believe for a second we'd appoint him.

At least Howe is out.

Agree with pretty much all of that...

I thought it was known that the three left in the hat were Garcia, FdB and Puel? If one of them has dropped out the race, that's understandable but surprised there's suddenly an (almost) entirely new 3!

I was excited about Garcia, and had a few free bets that I lumped on him, but in the original poll I voted for Pellegrini so certainly won't be disappointed if it turns out to be him. Just typical that I thought I was on to a winner having covered RG, FdB and CP at the bookies!

League games perhaps but then you have to add League Cup, Cup, Champions League and Internationals to that.

One of the aspects that a succesful manager has to deal with when you're competing on 4 fronts and all your players are internationals.

In belittling Pelligrini's achievements at Man City most people have overlooked the fact he's won the League Cup twice in three years.

Window Cleaner, I believe you are a follower of football in France - whats your take on Puel ?

In belittling Pelligrini's achievements at Man City most people have overlooked the fact he's won the League Cup twice in three years.

Window Cleaner, I believe you are a follower of football in France - whats your take on Puel ?

But he did that with a squad far, far better than ours. What he achieved with arguably the best squad in the league, in recent times, is good but probably should have been better really. He's not a terrible choice by any means and if the three listed are our only options I'd go for him to.

the way it is going it will be yoshida and martina

They clearly have no idea of what pleases fans then...It's most likely going to be players not on international duty so I would say Tadic and Romeu the most likely as Mane is almost certainly off this summer

I wonder what caused the club to change direction with Garcia, and I wonder why we seem to be somewhat struggling to get a named manager to show real interest.

We set ourselves up as a progressive, well run club that is now in Europe. I wonder if we are difficult to work with. We dont have the best track record of keeping our top coaches.

Perhaps the ambition just isnt there and maximum results are expected from medium outlay.

I wonder what caused the club to change direction with Garcia, and I wonder why we seem to be somewhat struggling to get a named manager to show real interest.

We set ourselves up as a progressive, well run club that is now in Europe. I wonder if we are difficult to work with. We dont have the best track record of keeping our top coaches.

Perhaps the ambition just isnt there and maximum results are expected from medium outlay.

Perhaps it has to do with the impending availability of the Sevilla job. The only advantage the Saints job has over that one is money - in terms of club prestige & quality of life, you'd go with Seville every time. Maybe the named managers are waiting to see who gets that one first.

I find it hard to believe that Pellegrini is in the running, he is too old and on the downward curve of his career, and as said above doesn't look in the best of health. Not too impressed either with the job he did at Man City considering the resources at his disposal, and I just can't get it out of my head how utterly disinterested they looked at SMS last season.

VP would seem like a strange appointment but I admit I know zilch about him.

Of the three I quite like the sound of Puel although there seems to be a lot of contradictions about his style of play. So I would be happy with him although wouldn't surprise me at all if it's someone not on this list.

I reckon Pellegrini's agent making contact turned things on its head. Maybe Saints didn't think they could get him here.

We've all got different opinions, but for me, Puel hasn't done enough to warrant being picked. His football philosophy is also at odds with 'The Southampton Way'.

Pellegrini took Villareal into the Champions League and the last 4, Malaga to the last 8, City to the title and CL last 4. Of course he should be our first choice. It's like a choice between Ronaldo or Jordan Rhodes.

The club has ambition but they want to get there on their own terms. I think the club tends to be looking long term while a lot of modern managers seem to want come in splash some cash and get out. Maybe this is more with long term slow growth ( club) vs short term instant results ( managers). As a club building towards long term goals and success is a good policy as a manager maybe that isn't what your career needs.

I think he played great football with City (although he had some amazing players to work with). They'd have probably been a lot closer/pushed Leicester for the title if they hadn't decided to announce the fact that a new manager is waiting in the wings, that just threw their season off course entirely.

He's a sound fit for a club of our size, done great jobs in Spain with similar sized clubs - although he was bankrolled a little at Malaga.

Maybe he's potentially more long-term than a lot of the 'younger' up and coming coaches we've looked at. If Manuel does well here, I wouldn't have thought he'd be as tempted away by a big club - he's been there, done it, he's not young...probably wouldn't want the hassle. Maybe, in a weird way, he's the best option for a long-term manager.

I'm going to take the contract negotiations with two players that will please the fans with a pinch of salt to be honest. After being burnt at least three times before with similar positive noises coming out the club I can't take anymore let downs on that score :lol:

I think he played great football with City (although he had some amazing players to work with). They'd have probably been a lot closer/pushed Leicester for the title if they hadn't decided to announce the fact that a new manager is waiting in the wings, that just threw their season off course entirely.

He's a sound fit for a club of our size, done great jobs in Spain with similar sized clubs - although he was bankrolled a little at Malaga.

Maybe he's potentially more long-term than a lot of the 'younger' up and coming coaches we've looked at. If Manuel does well here, I wouldn't have thought he'd be as tempted away by a big club - he's been there, done it, he's not young...probably wouldn't want the hassle. Maybe, in a weird way, he's the best option for a long-term manager.

The second season he was bankrolled at bit (he spent a similar amount to what we were spending in the Cortese days in the PL)., but the following season the club had to sell a load of players and was only allowed to 800,000 of the sales, which were 45m or thereabout and still led Malaga to 6th place and a CL Quarter final, only going out because Dortmund scored two injury time goals.

I find it hard to believe that Pellegrini is in the running, he is too old and on the downward curve of his career, and as said above doesn't look in the best of health. Not too impressed either with the job he did at Man City considering the resources at his disposal, and I just can't get it out of my head how utterly disinterested they looked at SMS last season.

I also wonder if Pellegrini is seen as a respectable 'stop gap' without the risks that others (Puel, FdB, etc) bring, and we are now seeking someone to hold us in the Europa League type position in the league for a couple of years, whilst seeking the manager to then elevate it into CL contention. Especially if some of the CL potential managers are not currently likely to be enticed.

Would be very happy if it's Long and Mane, if Shlong can sign while in France then brilliant!

Although Darren Lewis also said "Southampton see him (De Boer) as a perfect fit to continue Koeman’s work" when by all accounts he is someway down our shortlist.

what we want, is pashun mush. Someone like Pulis who will give the hairdryer treatment to the mercenaries we have

The most successful manager England ever had rarely showed an ounce of passion - Sir Alf Ramsey. Passion is highly overrated. I would prefer someone who knows what he wants and quietly goes about getting it rather than some buffoon leaping around on the touchline.