Saints 1 Hapoel Be'er Sheva 1 - Match & Meltdown Thread

St Chalet

I don't get why we were so negative against a team whos defence can't get tested much in their own league. Their late goal was so predictable.

We need to spend big on at least one decent striker in January.

Jay Rod, Redmond, Long - none of these are going to contribute enough goals, I would get shot of any of them.

A lot of bickering and frustration on display tonight. Not a happy team at all.

It tells you something when the captain of the night points the finger at Oriol for the goal in his post-match interview. Oriol, the man who has single-handedly held a disjointed midfield together all season and, along with VvD himself, have been the standout players of the season so far.

Only those who can see the bigger picture will understand that Puel is a good coach and we will do well this season.

Their goal came from an individual mistake. How on earth is that Puel's fault?

The players let him down tonight. Before the game, everyone wanted a strong team and he named a strong team. We controlled possession and dominated the game. They didn't look like scoring before Romeu gave it to their player for the goal.

It clearly wasn't just one mistake which cost us. No shape, no balance, no pressing, no teamwork, no attacking threat, no understanding of positional roles or those of teammates. That's the beauty of squad rotation. Did you see Franny's post match comments? I think it's fair to say he probably knows his beans.

I must admit to being rather disappointed in Puel's style of play. Best football in Ligue 1 we were told.

His set up is very negative and dull to watch, which invariably becomes EXTREMELY frustrating to watch. Just like his demeanor in presser's which leaves me borderline suicidal.

Thankfully he shows much more passion on the training pitch and on the sidelines. Think he needs more time before we start calling for his head.

The club need to take responsibility with their poor recruitment this summer and must add some attacking flair in midfield and a bring in a decent striker in January.

Still think we will finish midtable which will be a regression, only way we will see progress will be if we win a cup.

want to hear something that will make you sick to your stomach?

48 teams in the Group Stages

Goals Against

1) Schalke 3

T-2) Southampton 4

T-2) Manchester United 4

T-2) Young Boys 4

5-48) 5 or more

Yet more evidence that Uncle Les totally f**ked the squad up-front over the summer.

**** poor. Before they'd even scored I was thinking if we went through, it would be by luck not merit, and that we'd have got knocked out at the next round anyway.

Though PEH and Davis did well enough, showed some grit. Yoshida had a good game, made an important (not that it turned out in the end) block and nearly had a hero moment. Cedric trying to do what he could. Bertrand had an off day, and I thought Romeu was in fits and spurts. Redmond? **** knows, but he must have something on Puel. When Tadic came on I said to myself I bet he take Sims off, not Redmond, and behold! Seriously, Redmond was hopeless. Didn't seem to have a clue, which is gutting as he looked bright at the start of the season.

I like CP, I'm sticking by him for now, but we've seen some seriously dross performances recently and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned slightly. There are no easy games any more, and we don't look like a side that can score enough.

Up until tonight I thought all this talk of needing a new striker was just daft, but it's true, we really do need one. Either that, or way begin to play to Long's strengths more as the poor bloke barely got a touch of the ball.

Make no mistake, we are going to have to fight to stay up this year ! Selling our best players year after year, well it is going to catch us this time.
you have made the mistake the last 3 years.

Is this the year you make no mistake? Probably not, but even if so, your average sucks.

Very predictable from the result down to them having one decent shot and scoring it.

Our team lacks a winning mentality. We look good in any game where there is no pressure to win such as against arsenal, Liverpool etc. This is the same reason we lose to teams like palace and hull, there is an expectation we should win against these sides which translates to pressure and we bottle it. This is the managers responsibility end of.

Absolutely gutted but we got what we deserved. We just seem to lack any dynamism and cohesion.

If we score early we are normally okay but as a team (not just the strikers) we are utterly toothless. I really do not want to be negative after a bad game but I do feel we maybe on the verge of a step back. Whether this is long term good or not remains to be seen.

**** poor. Before they'd even scored I was thinking if we went through, it would be by luck not merit, and that we'd have got knocked out at the next round anyway.

Though PEH and Davis did well enough, showed some grit. Yoshida had a good game, made an important (not that it turned out in the end) block and nearly had a hero moment. Cedric trying to do what he could. Bertrand had an off day, and I thought Romeu was in fits and spurts. Redmond? **** knows, but he must have something on Puel. When Tadic came on I said to myself I bet he take Sims off, not Redmond, and behold! Seriously, Redmond was hopeless. Didn't seem to have a clue, which is gutting as he looked bright at the start of the season.

I like CP, I'm sticking by him for now, but we've seen some seriously dross performances recently and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned slightly. There are no easy games any more, and we don't look like a side that can score enough.

Up until tonight I thought all this talk of needing a new striker was just daft, but it's true, we really do need one. Either that, or way begin to play to Long's strengths more as the poor bloke barely got a touch of the ball.

Good post. Agree totally

That was incredibly painful to watch, a really lame duck of a performance. Pass, pass, backwards, sideways, slow down, pass, backwards, misplace the ball. repeat for ever.

We don't attack teams with any sort of purpose and there were countless times in the game where every single one of our outfield players was outside of the penalty area during one of our dour build ups. It's too slow, too predictable, and it's so so easy to defend against.

Just a complete non-performance and another pathetically lame end to a European adventure.

As far as I can tell, our only real positive right now is VVD. He plays his heart out every game, and gives a 110%. Tonight he was the only one of the team who showed fighting spirit.

If we lose him, I don't know who can step up. Not just in terms of quality, but who can motivate the team and try and get things going.

As far as I can tell, our only real positive right now is VVD. He plays his heart out every game, and gives a 110%. Tonight he was the only one of the team who showed fighting spirit.

If we lose him, I don't know who can step up. Not just in terms of quality, but who can motivate the team and try and get things going.

Totally agree. If he gets injured we are ****ed.

We've only scored more than 1 goal in 2 out 14 PL matches. We've scored 3 goals in our last 5 Europa League games, 1 own goal and 2 from a CB.

The decision to sell Pellé gets stranger with every passing week.

Desperate times. Palace game has left both players and fans shell shocked. Usual reliable players were really poor tonight. Seems to have rubbed off on Sims whose lost all his initial enthusiasm. Noted that Bertrand froze him out time after time.

Redmond is the root cause of all that is wrong with our game plan. He has to blame everyone but himself. Has to be dropped to cure his arrogance and tendency to blame everyone but himself.

Austin out injured. We could do far worse than play Yoshida up front. He'd have more chance of scoring than Long or any other options.

We've only scored more than 1 goal in 2 out 14 PL matches. We've scored 3 goals in our last 5 Europa League games, 1 own goal and 2 from a CB.

The decision to sell Pellé gets stranger with every passing week.

& Jay Rod still can't make the bench (!)

You start by playing the same team every game, and without Redmond. It will come. But oh for a Defoe ( as I've been wittering on about for years now ). Also need battlers like Reed. And a coach with inspiration. Hojberg looked brilliant when he joined, but Puel has seemingly sucked out his confidence too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did we sell Pelle, or did he tell the club he wouldn't play for them any more ?

He would happily have stayed if reports are to be believed. Instead we replaced him with Austin, who whilst decent, is a completely different type of player

****ing fuming, tired of paying to watch dross , I'll give it 3 more games to improve but I can't remember being this bored with football in ages currently struggling to keep my boy interested too atm so they could be losing 2 long term season ticket holders if they're not careful !

Feel sorry for the bloke. He must be getting p****d off by now.

At 0-0, while I thought it was better than going out, I did wonder if failing to score in four of our six games merited progression...

I do think the away goals rule as a tie breaker in the group is a bit ridiculous (head to head fine, but away goals should only be factored in during a knock out game), however it was perhaps fitting that we went out that way given we failed to score at all away. Too safe in every game, too safe tonight. We suck the life out of games even if we're not winning. Teams nearly always get A chance during the 90 minutes, and against us they invariably score it.

Maybe a win would have papered over the cracks. This has to be a wake up call.

If anyone can find a positive out of that then thy need to go and see a psychiatrist asap! I'd rather be a bedwetter than a deluded ****!!!

Negative beyond belief. Oh and if Charlie boy is out injured you just as well call us Southampton Nil.

Some SERIOUS INWARD ACTIVITY NEEDED IN JANUARY transfer window or we are F----D!!!

Hoijberg had a terrible game and to be honest has been **** poor for a while

Can't agree with that (but then we're all allowed different opinions).

I thought he showed fight, was composed on the ball and kept possession well, and showed a range of passing quality that others were struggling to achieve. Neat, tidy, one of the only ones who tried to go forwards with the ball instead of ****ing sideways or backwards, and I think he's another player in the Davis mould, where it's not immediately obvious how important he is. He doesn't dictate the flow of the game as much as Davis, but I think he did ok tonight and though he has had some blunt games since the season started, he's doing ok. I honestly thought he was one of the better ones tonight.

I am absolutely spitting with rage.

Right from kick off we were awful. Players just standing around watching the play, no one running, making space for the pass. Absolutely no runners into the box from midfield. Austin looked knackered before he kicked the ball.

Redmond...... seriously this is now a major issue. Makes lovely little runs on the ball, ties the defender up in knots and then F£CKING STANDS STILL ON THE EDGE OF THE BOX LOOKING TO PASS only there's no b@$tard to pass to because all the midfield are sitting back waiting to pass the ball back to Forster so he can have another go at slicing it into the directors box. Note for Claude: I watched this happen at least FIVE TIMES tonight. Either Redmond needs to p!ss off and leave the ball alone or the midfield need to be flooding the box because there's knack all point crossing to Austin when he's got three defenders crawling all over him. If this doesn't change, the f£cking skates will be back in the PL before we ever work a goal through Redmond.

Ifs all very nice wanting to keep possession and play this tippy tappy rubbish but it won't work if players off the ball don't actually move and create passing options.

Southampton are a premiership side. That means players should know their position and the job required, and be able to make a decent attempt at every other position on the pitch. There is enough money available that the quality of players bought should be a cut above the rest. Shrugged shoulders, players pointing out to other players where they should be standing etc are completely unacceptable at this level.

I don't give a flying brass monkeys left nut what is going on with Fonte - he is paid to do a job and tonight he should have been on the pitch doing it. No excuses.

Possession football.... no damn good if we aren't getting results from it. I completely get why the ball is worked up one side and then comes back because nothing is on. BUT THAT IS ALL THAT WILL HAPPEN IF PLAYERS DONT MAKE RUNS INTO THE BOX.

Yet again the opposition have had one shot on target, got the goal and Yet again another major result goes against Saints. Possession is less than useless if this is the result.

**** off..

Dreadful again tonight. Lack of pace and again absolutely boring to watch and I can't see anything changing under the manager. I can't see us spending any money in the window whilst the board try and potentially offload the club. Personally I feel the board has mugged off every saints fan over its transfer policy and I'm gutted for all those fans that spent their hard earned cash traveling to Europe. Just gutted that after last year we failed to push on and now look worse than West Brom.

Last Saturday in the car listening to Puel my wife said what a boring uninspiring man,she's not wrong. After the last four seasons the style we are playing and predictable we have 70% possession in a good number of games and teams bloody well sit back and catch us on the break. Tonight we went out with a whimper only VVD showed any real passion.

It's odd that people who note, rightly, that JRod and Long don't appear to be performing as well as last year but they think that Pelle would have if he had remained. It was because Pelle was thought to be on the decline that he was sold. It's no good looking back to when a player was at his peak, on that basis we should still be playing Matt Le Tiss. The idea that we sold our best players in the summer just doesn't hold water as those that were sold were replaced. Whether the manager is using them to their best ability is an entirely different matter. As I've said before, I'd like to see Puel now finding his best XI, which might take a few games to do, but then to put out a consistent side as often as possible.

It does seem that Puel accepts that JRod and Long are fading as he has promoted Sims into the squad. It's probably premature to regard Sims as the 'new striker' people are saying we need but it's clear we can't just rely on Austin. £20m please, Mr Reed and maybe a sale or two to raise the money.