Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VVD back in training!

Default VVD back in training!

And Targett!!!

a subtle way to show that he is on his way back !

Always said he was right good bloke. What's he ever done wrong. Great club servant.

Squad suddenly looking strong. Such a shame we fcked up the league cup, we have a lot of players who'll need game time.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Squad suddenly looking strong. Such a shame we fcked up the league cup, we have a lot of players who'll need game time.
    Couldn't agree more.

Sussex - previously New Milton & Kingsclere

Like the way the club did it with no fuss. Can't prevent the media making a story of it but must be best for all if it's kept low key.

Great news. And interesting how it has changed my prediction of the game dramatically - now think we will win easily (if he plays). Beforehand thought we might struggle.

9. Default

VVD back in training with the 1st team...............maybe a VVD/Hoedt pairing on Saturday?

Reckon he'll be on the bench at best on Saturday with a view to returning at Palace.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Great news. And interesting how it has changed my prediction of the game dramatically - now think we will win easily (if he plays). Beforehand thought we might struggle.
    It won't be an easy win. They're a decent side who'll give us a tough game.

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Why is that? He plays in central defence, where we have only conceded two (in EPL), only one player has scored against us. Unless we are playing him up front, can't see adding VVD turns this, or any other game, into "an easy win". Indeed, if we are looking for a goal, maybe he SHOULD be pushed up front for the final 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Like the way the club did it with no fuss. Can't prevent the media making a story of it but must be best for all if it's kept low key.
    The media won't be interested in making a story of it as it doesn't match their agenda of the "big clubs" signing players.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Will accept him back but still annoyed, his ridiculous tantrums have basically dominated our whole pre season & the media, there's no way it can't have effected the team at all, regardless of what the club says.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    Will accept him back but still annoyed, his ridiculous tantrums have basically dominated our whole pre season & the media, there's no way it can't have effected the team at all, regardless of what the club says.

what ridiculous tantrums ? Based on what ?

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by manji View Post
    His statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie61163 View Post
    VVD back in training with the 1st team...............maybe a VVD/Hoedt pairing on Saturday?
    Too soon

He will not play

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    He will not play
    Would be quite unfair if he did to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie61163 View Post

He has been injured since January and not played a game in the entire pre-season, I would be stunned even if he made the bench, I give it a 1% chance which could become slightly higher if another CB got injured. I'd also add we have kept 2 clean sheets in 3 league games this season so its clear that defending isn't the main issue.

His slanderous statement & actions leading up to it, making himself available for training (so he still gets paid) but refusing to make himself available for the first team & his slyly cryptic Twitter messages against the club & generally acting like the victim in all of this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ewell View Post
    He has been injured since January and not played a game in the entire pre-season, I would be stunned even if he made the bench, I give it a 1% chance which could become slightly higher if another CB got injured. I'd also add we have kept 2 clean sheets in 3 league games this season so its clear that defending isn't the main issue.
    Is he any good up front?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    Why is that? He plays in central defence, where we have only conceded two (in EPL), only one player has scored against us. Unless we are playing him up front, can't see adding VVD turns this, or any other game, into "an easy win". Indeed, if we are looking for a goal, maybe he SHOULD be pushed up front for the final 10 minutes.
    To be fair we have still looked pretty bad defensively whilst only conceding two... Swansea were never going to score no matter who they were playing.

I wouldn't start him either, but I'd have him on the bench to show signs of reintegration and allow a few people to get it out of their system during the sub warm up...

Of course the problem we have now is 5 decent centre-backs we want to give game time to and only 3 slots. I guess Stephens could cover DM and RB...

This is a serious question?

United game is the earliest he will be back if he feels he can pull the shirt on again.

Shouldn't be playing at all. Doesn't send a good message to Yoshi or Stephens if he waltzes in and takes on of their spots having not played for 9 months. He is a great defender but his actions have been unprofessional and thus rewarding him with a place at the expense of someone who has given it their all is wrong imo. If he comes out and apologises to the fans and players then fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek2003 View Post
    Is he any good up front?
    I personally think he is our best player in every position, so yes he could play up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Benali View Post
    Shouldn't be playing at all. Doesn't send a good message to Yoshi or Stephens if he waltzes in and takes on of their spots having not played for 9 months. He is a great defender but his actions have been unprofessional and thus rewarding him with a place at the expense of someone who has given it their all is wrong imo. If he comes out and apologises to the fans and players then fair enough.
    I do find a certain empathy with this thought.....
    He really should apologise at least to his team mates..... Maybe he has.....

If he's fit to play Saturday he should start, no doubt in my mind.

30. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Appy View Post
    If he's fit to play Saturday he should start, no doubt in my mind.
    It's not possible he can be fit though. Needs a couple of practice matches at least.

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    He adds a lot more than mere statistics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussex - previously New Milton & Kingsclere

Quote Originally Posted by The9 View Post
    To be fair we have still looked pretty bad defensively whilst only conceding two... Swansea were never going to score no matter who they were playing.
    I wouldn't start him either, but I'd have him on the bench to show signs of reintegration and allow a few people to get it out of their system during the sub warm up......
    Understand the suggestion about demonstrating integration but I don't think the manager will use his subs bench in that way. All the subs must be ready to play and possibly, even from the first 5 minutes in the event of an injury. On the other hand, Pellegrino will be aware of the potential for a hostile crowd reaction to Van Dijk, which could affect the player's performance so he may want to take that into account.

Although it would have been far better if this situation had never arisen it is now an interesting problem to have. We have the former young England CB in Jack Stephens, who performed extremely well stepping into the breach since January and we have a choice of 3 full international CBs just back from world-level competition. It's now as if we have acquired a top CB from the market for 50m or more, a figure that would have broken our transfer record by a multiple of at least three. As soon as he's match fit, the pressure will be to shift the others around in order to accommodate him. Maybe this is why football managers are also paid high salaries.

Why all the drama he is our best player wasted doing anything else get him on the pitch....... Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Why all the drama he is our best player wasted doing anything else get him on the pitch....... Move on.
    Absolutely. I'm as annoyed as the next man by his antics, but unless he's going to play for us wtf was the point of going to the lengths we have to keep hold of him?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Absolutely. I'm as annoyed as the next man by his antics, but unless he's going to play for us wtf was the point of going to the lengths we have to keep hold of him?
    He still has to win his place back by showing his drive and fitness.

What message does it send to Stephens otherwise ? He hasnt done much wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    What message does it send to Stephens otherwise ?
    I agree to an extent but Stephens is a professional and should accept the decision he's been dropped for a better player, you play your best players in football, I'd say we'd be close to having the best back 4 in the league as a unit if we have Cedric, Bertrand, VVD & Hoedt

37. Default

Some proper mentalists thinking he might play/be on the bench Saturday. He hasn't played in nearly 9 months. Plus we have 2 clean sheets in 3 games. Does anyone know if he will play or is still just training?

Does Tom28 have any updates - whatever happened to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Johnson View Post
    I agree to an extent but Stephens is a professional and should accept the decision he's been dropped for a better player, you play your best players in football, I'd say we'd be close to having the best back 4 in the league as a unit if we have Cedric, Bertrand, VVD & Hoedt
    That is poor man management in my opinion, VVD will continue his billy big balls attitude and the likes of JS will be thinking why bother?

Make VVD fight for his place, continue to let him know he is not bigger than the club. JS & Yoshi will play out of their skins to keep their place in the team. Also, any backlash from the fans won't be as damaging as I believe with time, the fans won't feel as strongly as they do now directly after his transfer window farce.

Of course I accept that there will be many opinions re: this topic and won't claim to know best how to deal with this situation. Will be interesting to see how Pellegrino handles this test of his man management ability

Quote Originally Posted by washsaint View Post
    Some proper mentalists thinking he might play/be on the bench Saturday. He hasn't played in nearly 9 months. Plus we have 2 clean sheets in 3 games. Does anyone know if he will play or is still just training?
    Fair enough, but the minute we concede from a header in the box, people will be looking towards that bench.

No sign of him training in any of the videos the club posted on snapchat this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Wimborne_saint View Post
    No sign of him training in any of the videos the club posted on snapchat this morning
    He's in the background of the first 2 clips

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Rees View Post
    He's in the background of the first 2 clips
    Yep my bad just watched the first again and spotted him at the back

Quote Originally Posted by alpine_saint View Post
    What message does it send to Stephens otherwise ?
    The message would be that he's not as good as VVD. No shame in that.

44. Default

15:57

'VAN DIJK NOT READY TO RETURN'
    Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino says Virgil van Dijk needs to build up his fitness before he is considered for selection.

"[Van Dijk] is training with the team again," confirmed Pellegrino. "How long before we see him in a first-team match? It depends on the player.
    "We know he is coming from a long period of time without playing a game. He needs to train and play games. I will decide in the future.
    "As a player you have to show on the pitch how ready you are but for us and Virgil everything is now normal."

he looks happy in training today in the video

In the clip where for some reason all the players are lined up to hit Cedric as he runs through them, Virgil is getting well involved and had a big smile on his face.

He's back baby

Virgil with a cracking finish in training today - get him up front! https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/st...31938702893060

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Virgil with a cracking finish in training today - get him up front! https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/st...31938702893060
    explains our midfielders passing "just tap it two yards to Virg, Stevo"

Think Bertrand has noticed the comments about him not smiling then

Stephens has to accept he is not good enough to start for a team who's aim is top 8, Van Dijk is a world class player and I am playing him over Stephens every day of the week, Stephens proved he's a good CB but he's not in the same class as others at the club, he was awful vs Wolves ( as was many), he was not that great vs Swansea or West Ham either both him and Yoshida yet again marking no one when Abrahams had a free header, reactions to the 2nd goal vs West Ham was slow.

I could be a tad harsh but Fonte, Toby and Van Dijk has given me high standards to expect from my CBs.