Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I thought it was common knowledge that Barclays had refused to extend the overdraft in January and that's when the cost cutting started.

Of course, they'll tell us everything is rosey in the garden.

I think they are just realising the that all is not well in the garden.....

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=424&fid=203&sty=2&act=1&mid=2125221793

You're right DD....

A club spokesman said: “We are sorry to see Peter go both as a player and a person and would like to thank him for playing a key role in keeping the club in the Premier League last season.

“His sale was necessitated by the club’s commitment to repay scheduled debtswhile we are in a transitional period of completing the takeover.

They're in the complete and utter ****.

Some people don't agree with the assessment.

Who? Crouch? LOL. The player who scored 3 goals in the last 15 league games last season, 2 of which were in one match. I like Crouch but he's lost in the 4 5 1 formation we play under Hart. He's not mobile enough and too slow to close defenders down. He's a good player but not for how we play now.

Well done Pompey - clear out that useless dead wood. You don't need Peter Crouch holding you back......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

oh my god...the skates (some) are convincing themselves that Kranjcar is a more gifted and better player than Le Tissier was..

I dont think I have read anythng as ridiculous as that even with this takeover crap going on

Edited by Thedelldays

Being that this article is dated Saturday just gone...has he signed yet corp?

Not yet. But he has flown to England to undergo a medical and should sign later today or tomorrow. Article from the Croatian press showing him at the airport.

http://jutarnji.hr/sport/nogomet/clanak/art-2009,7,28,,171083.jl

Same for me but in this window it will not be more than "a reported" £1m

FACT

Your "fact" seems to be less than factual. Kalinic is here to sign for a fee of £6m+. We've also bid a fee of somewhere between £2.5 - £3.5m (reports vary) for Mahamadou Dabo, a young French full back who's just broken into the full french team and we've also bid something like £3m for Ross McCormack from Cardiff with more players reportedly on the way. What's McCormack like? You lot must have seen him play last season.

Corp

is it true Crouch was sold as the bank have requested money..?

I hear this is the case...why so if the good Dr. has taken you over, is is about to.?

what is going on corp..?

I believe that's the case. Gaydamak got behind on payments to Standard Bank in South Africa and Crouch had to be sold to pay it off. Looks like Utaka and Belhadj might go as well. having said that, most Pompey fans would drive Utaka to his next club for nothing. He hasn't done a lot since he came here. Belhadj played against eastleigh though so maybe he'll stay.

Serious question: how many season tickets have been sold at FP for this season?

I seriously reckon we have sold more..

I have asked this on Fans-Online and no one wil answer

I don't think it's a case of no-one wanting to answer, more that it hasn't been reported anywhere. If it's been made public you should be able to find out just as easily as any Pompey fan, surely. I asked a friend at the club and was told it's somewhere around 12,000 so far but with numbers expected to go to the full 16,000 once the takeovers completed and new players start to arrive to calm people down a bit.

Nice to see you registered and posting on a Pompey website too. :D

Your "fact" seems to be less than factual. Kalinic is here to sign for a fee of £6m+. We've also bid a fee of somewhere between £2.5 - £3.5m (reports vary) for Mahamadou Dabo, a young French full back who's just broken into the full french team and we've also bid something like £3m for Ross McCormack from Cardiff with more players reportedly on the way. What's McCormack like? You lot must have seen him play last season.

Ross McCormack is definitely good enough to fire you into the Champions League places where a club with a fan base as gigantic as yours deserves to be.

Not yet. But he has flown to England to undergo a medical and should sign later today or tomorrow. Article from the Croatian press showing him at the airport.

I believe that's the case. Gaydamak got behind on payments to Standard Bank in South Africa and Crouch had to be sold to pay it off. Looks like Utaka and Belhadj might go as well. having said that, most Pompey fans would drive Utaka to his next club for nothing. He hasn't done a lot since he came here. Belhadj played against eastleigh though so maybe he'll stay.

I don't think it's a case of no-one wanting to answer, more that it hasn't been reported anywhere. If it's been made public you should be able to find out just as easily as any Pompey fan, surely. I asked a friend at the club and was told it's somewhere around 12,000 so far but with numbers expected to go to the full 16,000 once the takeovers completed and new players start to arrive to calm people down a bit.

quite a reason polite response. One which stops animosity.

Most fans have an interest in their neighbours - just the few (and maybe not you) come on with silly posts about how big you are etc.

One it doesn't matter you are better than us -look at the league.

Two your figures show its an arguement you are never going to win.

I asked a friend at the club and was told it's somewhere around 12,000 so far but with numbers expected to go to the full 16,000 once the takeovers completed and new players start to arrive to calm people down a bit.

I fail to believe that your s/t sales are near the 12k mark. You may get there by the seasons start but not yet. If you were at that level they PFC ticket office would be shouting it from the rooftops to get the rest to get a shift on or lose out.

This is what the Croatian Pompey fans have posted about the Kalinic deal. Latest report is that it's due to be completed today with £4m paid up front. Not saying we won't sell more players but I'd suggest you wait and see who we bring in before the window closes before gloating too much (not you Crabby, the rest on here).

FWIW, I think we'll be in danger of going down IF we don't get some decent signings in. But I'll reserve judgement until I know what the squad's going to look like.

http://www.slobodnadalmacija.hr/Nogo...8/Default.aspx

Now they are saying the transfer fee is 7.5m euros.

- My dream has come true! It's not yet finalized, but God willing everything will be ok. And if it does go ok, I think I'll already be going tomorrow to England to have a medical and sign the contract.

- Portsmouth is a big club, and the premiership, along with the premiera, is the strongest league in the world. Playing in Portsmouth would be a great challenge for me, an opportunity to prove myself, and to justify the faith shown in me, particularly people like manager Paul Hart, who insisted on my transfer.

- The season starts already in August and I can't wait to play against the best, Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea. My first goal is to earn a place in the team. Oh, if I could already in the first round, when Fulham comes to us, be in the first team!

- There won't be a problem, I believe I can hold my own against anyone. I believe that England suits me even better than Spain.

He was recovering from injury and says he'll be ready to join in the first practice once he arrives in England.

He'll share the dressing room with Niko Kranjcar, who was instrumental in bringing him to Pompey.

- I haven't spoken to Niko yet, but I heard he spoke highly of me. I thank him for everything he has done for me. When I get to England he'll once again, I hope, be a big help to me, even in regards to the language. I understand English well, but I have to perfect speaking it.

http://www.fansonline.net/portsmouth/article.php?id=1055#articlecontinues

from another thread, possibly why investors don't fancy small debt ridden club...

Portsmouth are a big club.

Following their relegation from the top flight Portsmouth were in 2nd tier from 1989-2003.

Their attendances during this time, averaged (remember this includes just after relegation and also the season they won the division)....11,700.

Saints time in 2nd tier, finished with relegation, we averaged an attendance of 21,568.

Shame we didn't quite double their crowds!

When Portsmouth were in 3rd tier, in 1982 they averaged 8,500.

We have so far sold 10,000 season tickets for the 3rd tier - so once again, a like for like comparison -we have double the fans

Your "fact" seems to be less than factual. Kalinic is here to sign for a fee of £6m+. We've also bid a fee of somewhere between £2.5 - £3.5m

come again...?

am at work, bored (have to be up at the mo) and just popped over to the fans-online site for a quick look.

they are seriously deluded...laughing at us for getting involved in the rugby world cup and harping on about their new 40k stadium that is on the way.....

have I missed something here...?

what 40k stadium..?

how on earth are they going to finance that when they cant afford a decent signing..?

apparently, they are a proper football town with fanatical support..apart from once having 50k people in that grotty heap half a century ago...their attendance record to ours is shyt....I even reckon we have sold more season tickets than them this season..I really do

Portsmouth have never ever ridded themselves of the chip that remains firmly on their shoulders. Even now, two divisions above they spend waaaaaay too much time debating us and in some respects, working themselves into a jealous frenzy.

As for their attendance once upon a time, ha. Charlton had over 80,000 once at the Valley and other smaller clubs in seemingly smaller grounds had 50,000 plus in their glory days. If we were in the Premier League with a capacity of, say, 45,000... back in 02/03, we'd have sold out games against the top 4-5, and probably averaged 36,000. But hey, that's conjecture - which is more than could be said for Portsmouth's new spaceage football stadium. Completion date, never.

Regardless, you'll notice that Pompey fans will never, ever let go of the past, ever... despite it never really being a valid stick to beat us with.

from another thread, possibly why investors don't fancy small debt ridden club...

Following their relegation from the top flight Portsmouth were in 2nd tier from 1989-2003.

Their attendances during this time, averaged (remember this includes just after relegation and also the season they won the division)....11,700.

Saints time in 2nd tier, finished with relegation, we averaged an attendance of 21,568.

We have so far sold 10,000 season tickets for the 3rd tier - so once again, a like for like comparison -we have double the fans

Portsmouth have never ever ridded themselves of the chip that remains firmly on their shoulders. Even now, two divisions above they spend waaaaaay too much time debating us and in some respects, working themselves into a jealous frenzy.

As for their attendance once upon a time, ha. Charlton had over 80,000 once at the Valley and other smaller clubs in seemingly smaller grounds had 50,000 plus in their glory days. If we were in the Premier League with a capacity of, say, 45,000... back in 02/03, we'd have sold out games against the top 4-5, and probably averaged 36,000. But hey, that's conjecture - which is more than could be said for Portsmouth's new spaceage football stadium. Completion date, never.

Regardless, you'll notice that Pompey fans will never, ever let go of the past, ever... despite it never really being a valid stick to beat us with.

very true - be interested in their bitter take on these facts.

From todays Mail. Still the big money signings come pouring in!

Croatia striker Nikola Kalinic has flown home without completing his £5.5m move to Portsmouth following a row over the transfer fee.

Pompey boss Paul Hart wants to sign Kalinic as a replacement for Peter Crouch, and had hoped to take the 21-year-old to Portugal later this week for games against Guimaraes and Benfica.

But despite selling £40m worth of players since the turn of the year, Pompey want to stagger the payments over the three years of Kalinic's contract, and his club Hajduk Split are demanding most of the cash up front.

Hart, who still plans to sign former Wigan striker Amr Zaki on a year's loan from his Egyptian club El Zamalek, hopes to persuade former Southampton goalkeeper Antti Niemi to come out of retirement as back-up for David James.

The 37-year-old Finn, who quit last season after struggling with a wrist injury while at Fulham, said: 'I've talked with Portsmouth, and there is an interest on both sides.'

1x1.GIF

From their forum:

"1. Pompey outweigh the scummers on ALL attendance facts. All time attn, Largest ave attn. Our reserves have attracted a bigger gate than their 1st team ever has etc..."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

feel free to copy my post above into their forum about crowds they seem in denial!

am at work, bored (have to be up at the mo) and just popped over to the fans-online site for a quick look.

they are seriously deluded...laughing at us for getting involved in the rugby world cup and harping on about their new 40k stadium that is on the way.....

have I missed something here...?

what 40k stadium..?

how on earth are they going to finance that when they cant afford a decent signing..?

apparently, they are a proper football town with fanatical support..apart from once having 50k people in that grotty heap half a century ago...their attendance record to ours is shyt....I even reckon we have sold more season tickets than them this season..I really do

I think i can recall something about, if we get the WC the FA were going to help fund their big stadium.I dont want us to host the WC anyway but this makes me more against it.

It's interesting how many times an attendence thread comes up on here isn't it? LOL. Nothing like being selective with the facts either. I noticed you picked one season when we were in Div 3 and got an average of 8500. What about the other years when we averaged 14,000? Or what about the year in Div 4 when we averaged 16,000? You seem to conveniently miss those out. Div 2 attendences tended to suffer for one reason, the fact that the club was being raped by first Deacon and then Gregory. If you suffered 15 years or more in the same way I'd love to see what your crowd figures were. Seeing as you lost 50% of your fan base over about two years I suspect you might see similar attendences.

Of course, none of these are direct comparisons either. The only way to directly compare would be if we were in the same division, in similar sized stadiums with similar ticket prices. Of course you'll disagree.

By the way, in our time in the Prem we've averaged attendences of 19938 in a stadium that held *****il last season) 20,200. That's 98% capacity. So I'm not sure where all these empty seats you keep saying you see on TV are. If you don't believe me, here's the stats.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm

Shall we all assume it takes about a week to fly from Croatia, Corp?

You've probably read the papers Crabby. He was here, had a medical which he passed but then there was a problem. Some reports say it's because Pompey wanted to stagger the payments (seems strange then that if that were the case his club would have allowed him to fly over for a medical and to sign). Other reports say the problem was his agent asking for double the signing on fee that we agreed.

Anyway, I wouldn't gloat too quickly. Croatian repoorts are saying the deal may be back on today. Wait and see, eh?

I genuinely lol'd at the irony of Saints fans discussing the chip on Pompey fans shoulders in a thread on a Saints website that's now running to 17 pages and 25,000+ views. If you can find a post on a Pompey board that stretches on as far feel free to post it.

LOL, still struggling for money eh, Corp?

Wait and see Crabby, wait and see. You might regret saying that.

When are we going to get that egg on ours faces re the Chinese takeover, guarenteed last november. As for the latest one I read on teletext that Solent said it was going through and lawyers were reading papers. Perhaps now that gaydamek has taken plenty of money out to pay for his debts, the arab can now buy you for a £1, just like Venables did all those years ago.

Do you think HR will come and try and get James, IMO he has been the best keeper in the PL for 2-3 seasons, he would be an almighty loss if he goes.You can cope without Dustbin and Sol, IMO

I await the Nicknack stuff Lol

Edited by OldNick

We all know that Corp is never, ever, ever wrong about anything to do with pompey, ever.

He never has been wrong about signings/takeovers/training grounds/stadiums and never will be.

His s/t take up has never been far off the mark ever, his mate at the club tells us that they have sold 12k already and expect to get to 16k.Remarkably considering that after the high of the cup final they got 13500 s/t's and now with the side ripped out they will get another 2500 more. They are dim down there but....

I actually get some sort of sick pleasure from skates trying to justify that their attendances are better than us, bless 'em.

I find it hard to believe that Skates find so much time to come on their rivals forum. Are they missionaries trying to convert us to the dark side?

Or is the standard of debate and banter a far better quality on here?

They are fun to read and their misplaced optimism is a wonder to behold.

I find it hard to believe that Skates find so much time to come on their rivals forum. Are they missionaries trying to convert us to the dark side?

Or is the standard of debate and banter a far better quality on here?

They are fun to read and their misplaced optimism is a wonder to behold.

There is your answer.

I have an idea. I may start up as a local comedian and tour around various clubs in Southampton as a Pompey fan trying to say how we are a bigger club and have a better record of attendances.

Would get many a laugh methinks.

As far as I'm aware I'm not saying we have a better record of attendence. Stats show that we haven't done for years. But plenty on here keep bringing it up largely, I guess, because it's absolutely the only thing you can top us with.

As for the bigger club argument, I guess it depends on what criteria you judge it on. We get bigger crowds than you at present so does that make us a bigger club? Or maybe it's league status (which is what you judged it on for years I seem to remember) in which case we're the bigger club. Newcastle get bigger crowds than Liverpool, does that make them a bigger club? Or is it judged on trophies won?

So many parameters to use. Maybe if you don't get an average crowd of 16,000 people this year we could bring up that we got average crowds of that size in the old 4th Div. Would that mean (according to Nick G's reasoning) that we're a bigger club than you? He seems to like historical stats to prove a point. ;)

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})