Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

As far as I'm aware I'm not saying we have a better record of attendence. Stats show that we haven't done for years. But plenty on here keep bringing it up largely, I guess, because it's absolutely the only thing you can top us with.

Apart from having our financial future secured you mean ??

Apart from having a modern stadium you mean ??

Apart from having our own training ground you mean ??

Apart from having our own established academy thats held in high regard you mean ??

Apart from beating you 37 times out of 67 you mean ??

Apart from being in the top flight for 33 years until lately you mean ??

Apart from having legends such as Channon, Paine, Le Tissier, Shearer, Keegan you mean ??

Apart from bringing youth players up the likes of walcott, bridge, bale, surman you mean ??

Ok then, nothing to beat you with i know.

Apart from having our own established academy thats held in high regard you mean ??

Apart from having legends such as Channon, Paine, Le Tissier, Shearer, Keegan you mean ??

Apart from bringing youth players up the likes of walcott, bridge, bale, surman you mean ??

Yeah, but they've won trophies I'll have you know.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for Corp this morning, actually, with all of us rounding upon him. You'd think with their millions of fans, at least one other Skate would be on here to help support him - but no, not one - Corp keeps on fighting the good fight! I doff my hat to you, Mr Fish.

As far as I'm aware I'm not saying we have a better record of attendence. Stats show that we haven't done for years. But plenty on here keep bringing it up largely, I guess, because it's absolutely the only thing you can top us with.

As for the bigger club argument, I guess it depends on what criteria you judge it on. We get bigger crowds than you at present so does that make us a bigger club? Or maybe it's league status (which is what you judged it on for years I seem to remember) in which case we're the bigger club. Newcastle get bigger crowds than Liverpool, does that make them a bigger club? Or is it judged on trophies won?

So many parameters to use. Maybe if you don't get an average crowd of 16,000 people this year we could bring up that we got average crowds of that size in the old 4th Div. Would that mean (according to Nick G's reasoning) that we're a bigger club than you? He seems to like historical stats to prove a point. ;)

I myself accept Pompey were a big club way before I was born.In the late 1930's then for a short period in the 50's. Then there was a downward spell of 50years +. For various reasons you have been the runt of the litter and for the last 3 years have been housetrained, the dirty side of the club has been covered by your PL status ,an input of star names purchased and of course an FA cup win that was seen as lucky by many neutral observers.You still won it and that cant be taken away.I wish we had played Cardiff and not Arsenal in our final. To people over 80 and below 10 I suspect Pompey would be seen as the bigger club, but to a large proportion of people in between we would be seen as the major club in this area.I dont believe either club is massive and never likely to be, look at Notts Forest European champions twice and still not seen as massive.

No we are both provincial clubs and Saintds viewed by the population on the same level as Ipswich and Coventry and Pompey as Wigan.

from another thread, possibly why investors don't fancy small debt ridden club...

Portsmouth are a big club.

Following their relegation from the top flight Portsmouth were in 2nd tier from 1989-2003.

Their attendances during this time, averaged (remember this includes just after relegation and also the season they won the division)....11,700.[/u]Saints time in 2nd tier, finished with relegation, we averaged an attendance of 21,568.Shame we didn't quite double their crowds!

When Portsmouth were in 3rd tier, in 1982 they averaged 8,500.

We have so far sold 10,000 season tickets for the 3rd tier - so once again, a like for like comparison -we have double the fans

It's interesting how many times an attendence thread comes up on here isn't it? LOL. Nothing like being selective with the facts either. I noticed you picked one season when we were in Div 3 and got an average of 8500. What about the other years when we averaged 14,000? Or what about the year in Div 4 when we averaged 16,000? You seem to conveniently miss those out. Div 2 attendences tended to suffer for one reason, the fact that the club was being raped by first Deacon and then Gregory. If you suffered 15 years or more in the same way I'd love to see what your crowd figures were. Seeing as you lost 50% of your fan base over about two years I suspect you might see similar attendences.

Of course, none of these are direct comparisons either. The only way to directly compare would be if we were in the same division, in similar sized stadiums with similar ticket prices. Of course you'll disagree.

By the way, in our time in the Prem we've averaged attendences of 19938 in a stadium that held *****il last season) 20,200. That's 98% capacity. So I'm not sure where all these empty seats you keep saying you see on TV are. If you don't believe me, here's the stats.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/england.htm

You've probably read the papers Crabby. He was here, had a medical which he passed but then there was a problem. Some reports say it's because Pompey wanted to stagger the payments (seems strange then that if that were the case his club would have allowed him to fly over for a medical and to sign). Other reports say the problem was his agent asking for double the signing on fee that we agreed.

Anyway, I wouldn't gloat too quickly. Croatian repoorts are saying the deal may be back on today. Wait and see, eh?

I genuinely lol'd at the irony of Saints fans discussing the chip on Pompey fans shoulders in a thread on a Saints website that's now running to 17 pages and 25,000+ views. If you can find a post on a Pompey board that stretches on as far feel free to post it.

Wait and see Crabby, wait and see. You might regret saying that.

it was a skate who came on here (not us on your forum) quoting, wrongly, you are better supported.

Not selective - our average for full time in 2nd tier double yours!!!!!

I do apologise for the worst formatting ever on this forum!

Point is, not selective - Corporate, direct comparisons of our recent time in 2nd tier (not really fair on us as ours ended with a relegation and yours with winning the league) but we had 84% more fans than you - both well under ground capacity so that's not a factor. Yes our worst time, with turmoil in boardroom gave us nearly double the crowds you had.

Portsmouth have never ever ridded themselves of the chip that remains firmly on their shoulders. Even now, two divisions above they spend waaaaaay too much time debating us and in some respects, working themselves into a jealous frenzy.

As for their attendance once upon a time, ha. Charlton had over 80,000 once at the Valley and other smaller clubs in seemingly smaller grounds had 50,000 plus in their glory days. If we were in the Premier League with a capacity of, say, 45,000... back in 02/03, we'd have sold out games against the top 4-5, and probably averaged 36,000. But hey, that's conjecture - which is more than could be said for Portsmouth's new spaceage football stadium. Completion date, never.

Regardless, you'll notice that Pompey fans will never, ever let go of the past, ever... despite it never really being a valid stick to beat us with.

Ok then, tell me- what have you actually won during your long and illustrious history?

When are we going to get that egg on ours faces re the Chinese takeover, guarenteed last november. As for the latest one I read on teletext that Solent said it was going through and lawyers were reading papers. Perhaps now that gaydamek has taken plenty of money out to pay for his debts, the arab can now buy you for a £1, just like Venables did all those years ago.

Do you think HR will come and try and get James, IMO he has been the best keeper in the PL for 2-3 seasons, he would be an almighty loss if he goes.You can cope without Dustbin and Sol, IMO

I await the Nicknack stuff Lol

Oh allright then, if you insist.....

http://http://www.universalexports.net/Movies/Graphics/9-images/nicknack.jpg

"Hey Bond, if you kill the Cranemeister, all this is mine!"

Yep, pretty thin pickings for a club with a 124 year history.....

I genuinely lol'd at the irony of Saints fans discussing the chip on Pompey fans shoulders in a thread on a Saints website that's now running to 17 pages and 25,000+ views. If you can find a post on a Pompey board that stretches on as far feel free to post it.

That's because there are not enough Portsmouth fans to get 25,000 views.

Ok then, tell me- what have you actually won during your long and illustrious history?

Sportsnight with Coleman 5 a side.

FA cup against Manchester United the glamour and most exciting team of its age.

and yours? FA cup against Cardiff (with a squad that had been bought at high cost and wages)and CCC when all other clubs had been neutered by the collapse of ITVdigital and you had a lot of money to buy you promotion.

and yours? FA cup against Cardiff (with a squad that had been bought at high cost and wages)and CCC when all other clubs had been neutered by the collapse of ITVdigital and you had a lot of money to buy you promotion.

They won it fair and square and to keep suggesting otherwise makes you sound very sad.

They had their time in the sun but it's going pear shaped now.

Just relax and watch them implode whilst paying £700 for the pleasure.

They won it fair and square and to keep suggesting otherwise makes you sound very sad.

They had their time in the sun but it's going pear shaped now.

Just relax and watch them implode whilst paying £700 for the pleasure.

I agree. They are better than us at the moment, fair and square.

I don't think it will last personally.

We have been head and shoulders better in this lifetime.

Just gets peoples back up when they spout the big club rubbish, as they are just a very poorly supported team that has has a short spell of success when money was thrown at it.

I don't try and take that success away, the FA cup win and a few years in prem will stay, and should do, in the history books.

Dear oh dear, what a ****poor, weak argument. You can only beat what's put in front of you e.g. Man U on their own patch. You only beat them on a neutral ground, and even then, it was only because Stevie Wonder was the linesman.

As usual it's the convenient glossing over the other F.A. cup win, two top flight titles, plus a second division title and a third division title.

You simply cannot compete on honours- we blow you out of the water fair and square whichever way you look at it, hence you continually bleat on about attendance figures- as if anyone gives a stuff about that compared to a clubs success.

A single major trophy in 124 years- not a very good record is it?

I am 42 years old.

What have you achieved in my lifetime of watching football?

one FA cup win. Fair do's.

So have we.

Plus numerous other cup runs (and finals)

And a good run in top flight.

You will never come close to what we saw in 83/84 etc.

You will never have a team with players like Shearer and MLT, or one with Shilton, Keegan, Ball and Channon.

You can only beat us on last 5 years.

Well done.

nothing else (btw it was one of yours who brought up crowd thing before they realised their mistake and you are our poorly supported neighbours).

Dear oh dear, what a ****poor, weak argument. You can only beat what's put in front of you e.g. Man U on their own patch. You only beat them on a neutral ground, and even then, it was only because Stevie Wonder was the linesman.

As usual it's the convenient glossing over the other F.A. cup win, two top flight titles, plus a second division title and a third division title.

You simply cannot compete on honours- we blow you out of the water fair and square whichever way you look at it, hence you continually bleat on about attendance figures- as if anyone gives a stuff about that compared to a clubs success.

Still posting on a Saints message board, then, divs?

We're a Saints forum. We can laugh at Portsmouth if we like. It takes a premium strain of saddo to post over and over on a rival club forum. Defending their club. It's just spazztastic, especially when you look at the length of the posts and the time you must spend writing them.

Posting on this one for me is a total waste of my time, so you posting on a rival forum is simply pathetic.

You're besotted. Get over it you weirdos.

Still posting on a Saints message board, then, divs?

We're a Saints forum. We can laugh at Portsmouth if we like. It takes a premium strain of saddo to post over and over on a rival club forum. Defending their club. It's just spazztastic, especially when you look at the length of the posts and the time you must spend writing them.

Posting on this one for me is a total waste of my time, so you posting on a rival forum is simply pathetic.

You're besotted. Get over it you weirdos.

Which proves my point entirely- all you can do hurl abuse, you simply cannot win the argument....

I am 42 years old.

So have we.

You will never have a team with players like Shearer and MLT, or one with Shilton, Keegan, Ball and Channon.

Well done.

nothing else (btw it was one of yours who brought up crowd thing before they realised their mistake and you are our poorly supported neighbours).

Poor, poor points, and nothing compared to what we've actually WON....

Which proves my point entirely- all you can do hurl abuse, you simply cannot win the argument....

What's the argument? This is a Saints forum and we're laughing at you.

There is no argument apart from "how much of a joke do you have to be to be a Portsmouth fan who thinks that there is an argument to win on a Saints fans forum?".

What are you waiting for - us all to say, yeah, you're right after all and start singing the Pompey Chimes?

So, how much of a joke are you?

You're besotted. Get over it you weirdo.

Come on, be fair Smirking_Saint, they do have a much bigger debt than ours. :smt044:smt043:smt042:smt082

go on, you seem to have lost the arguements you have raised so far on;

success

infrastructure

status

crowds

What next, furthest east? Give you that one.

Not even convincing yourself when you can't counter any of the points made.

btw to you rate your achievements in the lower leagues better as being better than us at the time -competing at the very top level?

Because if you do, does that mean if we get promotion over next few years we are better than you in prem? think not!

I am 42 years old.

So have we.

Well done.

just checked - you won, in that time the FA Cup - and so did we.

clearly we didn't compete with you when you won your promotion from the 4th division in the 80's, as for the whole of that generation we were in top division, i.e. considerably better than you!

Your arguement is about as good as saying Huddersfield are a big name in football. Both poorly supported. Both won league long before I was born. both have had lower league success while we were fielding world class players.

Edited by NickG

What's the argument? This is a Saints forum and we're laughing at you.

There is no argument apart from "how much of a joke do you have to be to be a Portsmouth fan who thinks that there is an argument to win on a Saints fans forum?".

What are you waiting for - us all to say, yeah, you're right after all and start singing the Pompey Chimes?

So, how much of a joke are you?

You're besotted. Get over it you weirdo.

Well said, at least we can say 'We're **** and we know it'. whereas our FFF (Fish Fiddling Friends) know they are **** and still can't believe it.

At the end of the day I'd rather be a Scummer than a Skate.

You didn't beat manu really. By rights you should have lost.

Oh dear, where is Nikola Kalinic, Corp? Is he back in Pompey? Is he in Croatia? Does anyone know his location?

I've made a little game for you, Corpy.

Here's an accurate depiction of Portsmouth's dockyard, sketched only last Tuesday. As you can see, sailors frolick with reckless abandon and the wenches are in the riotous of moods!

However, somewhere amongst this feral crowd is Niko - and he's lost! Can you help find him?

You get a bonus point for pointing out Riquelme - who has been wandering around the docks for nearly four years now...

whereswhereskaliniccopy.jpg

Edited by Crab Lungs

He's moving to Blackburn. :lol:

Blackburn Rovers have emerged as the favourites to sign Croatia international striker Nikola Kalinic from Hajduk Split.

The 21-year-old has also been linked with Portsmouth in recent weeks, but Kalinic's agent has suggested that Rovers are in pole position to seal a deal.

Tomislav Erceg told The News: "When we arrived in Portsmouth on Tuesday, they told us to wait until Friday morning.

"We didn't want them to play games with us so we decided to leave straight away for London.

"In the meantime, we received a concrete offer from Blackburn, who were interested since the beginning. So we immediately left London for Blackburn.

"They greeted Kalinic like a true star and they are expecting big things from him this season."

Hajduk president Mate Peros added: "Blackburn was the best one of all the offers we have received to date.

"Very quickly we finished the talks with the club."

Blackburn Rovers have emerged as the favourites to sign Croatia international striker Nikola Kalinic from Hajduk Split.

The 21-year-old has also been linked with Portsmouth in recent weeks, but Kalinic's agent has suggested that Rovers are in pole position to seal a deal.

Tomislav Erceg told The News: "When we arrived in Portsmouth on Tuesday, they told us to wait until Friday morning.

"We didn't want them to play games with us so we decided to leave straight away for London.

"In the meantime, we received a concrete offer from Blackburn, who were interested since the beginning. So we immediately left London for Blackburn.

"They greeted Kalinic like a true star and they are expecting big things from him this season."

Hajduk president Mate Peros added: "Blackburn was the best one of all the offers we have received to date.

"Very quickly we finished the talks with the club."

corp

this must be billy bollis..surely..?

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})