Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Of which 50 will be the usual "lolz, look at me applying using my Football Manager 2013 CV, aren't I funny and original" ones.

In fairness though, it seems a pretty good job to go for if recent history is anything to go by. You do really badly, get relegated and then teams from higher leagues give you a job..

That's b0ll0x, they've never had a fricking budget.

And everyone was assured at the time that everyone was free, no clubs were being outbid and all finances were in line - it was just the work of jealous Nutjobs pointing out the blatant insolvency.

Maybe someone forgot to rewrite that little bit of history...

Confucius he say, club near bottom of League Two not really in position to tell any candidate to naff off - and certainly not in strong enough position to pay compensation.

Cheap'n'cheerful is the best way forward.

Or sideways.

Can we just go back to the "BREAKING THEIR BUDGET" comment again please?

Thanks. The first evidence it has definitely been happening, for this pre-admin anyway.

Oh, and Justin Edinburgh wouldn't leave a club heading upwards with a deep playing squad and most importantly transparent and identifiable funding to buy players, to move somewhere where they're getting about 2000 people actually paying to get in (including away fans), and next season you'd think half the ST holders will quietly disappear too.

I can't imagine the Crawley manager would want to go there either, they're looking at someone about to get sacked or already unemployed, and willing to work for a pittance. Hey, I wonder if Beattie would do it? Nah, why would he leave upwardly mobile Accrington? :D

Edited by The9

This could unravel faster than a Fair Isle sweater caught on a rusty nail.

As pointed out above; "Despite the board breaking their budget."

So that's premise of the truss (the spelling error is deliberate) gone up the pictures.

I also like this quote from Catlin.

"We are fan-owned club. They are loyal fans, and the time when they start turning is going to have an influence on decisions, whether that is right or wrong."

So whenever a fan/owner is unhappy, does that mean he can move to get something changed?

A noble thing in principal, but what about those fan/owners who were happy with Whittingham? Don't they get a say?

The internecine squabbling and arguing will kick off big-time soon.

This could unravel faster than a Fair Isle sweater caught on a rusty nail.

As pointed out above; "Despite the board breaking their budget."

So that's premise of the truss (the spelling error is deliberate) gone up the pictures.

I also like this quote from Catlin.

"We are fan-owned club. They are loyal fans, and the time when they start turning is going to have an influence on decisions, whether that is right or wrong."

So whenever a fan/owner is unhappy, does that mean he can move to get something changed?

A noble thing in principal, but what about those fan/owners who were happy with Whittingham? Don't they get a say?

The internecine squabbling and arguing will kick off big-time soon.

rubbing-hands-in-excitement-smiley-emoticon.gif

"He said the 49-year-old, who had two spells at Fratton Park as a player, had failed to deliver the agreed success on the pitch, despite the board breaking their budget to meet his requests. "

Breaking the budget? Pompey? Surely not !

And so it goes on ..... and on ...........

It's starting to look like Galifrey surrounded by Daleks down Portsea way. And as we all now know, there was only one way that could be saved. (Well that and a bit of rewriting of history but then that's a favourite of theirs as well)

Comment from a Skate on the News comments site :

"I dont think at 60 odd and at his stage of his career needs to be managing a League 2 club however big the fanbase and support. However Warnock loves Portsmouth fans so you never know"

I guess this would be the same Neil Warnock who recently managed Leeds Utd, having an average crowd of approximately double that of the plucky phew ??

Nabil Hassan@NabilHassan79

#pompey chief exec hopes to "blown away" by managerial cv's/Catlin on Awford &Barker, Barker on Whittingham&Pompey: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25118980 …

Trousers@Lord_Trousers

@NabilHassan79 "...the board breaking their budget to meet his requests..." #facepalm

Stuart Crow@Lord_Palmerston

@Lord_Trousers @NabilHassan79 Not strictly true to say budgets were broken. They were rewritten in view of better than expected income.

To be fair whether The9 had a word or not I think the round of applause goes to good old common sense, :D

I was about to point out that no-one needs a quiet word to know that's not a progression. Newport just stuck 3 on them in the JPT with their reserve team (and in the middle of their 4 month long injury crisis), remember?

Also, Appleton's available isn't he?

I thought the FL were all over poopeys budget like a rash?

Yes, that is definitely the impression we were given.

wasn't it?

I seem to recall that the FL made conditions that their monthly management accounts were to be submitted, 'er.. monthly. Is anybody ,who knows one of the fan "owners" aware that this transparency is being complied with?

I seem to recall that the FL made conditions that their monthly management accounts were to be submitted, 'er.. monthly. Is anybody ,who knows one of the fan "owners" aware that this transparency is being complied with?

They have been trying to re-sign Rocha and then suddenly the west ham lad turns up on loan. I wouldn't be surprised if the man from the FL...he say no

Loads of them saying they are only spending 30% of turnover on wages, where as the rules allow 50%. So wiggle room for a spending spree, I can see Warnock as DOF and Maradonna as player manager.

That's 50% of turnover for clubs that aren't in a babysitting process like they are. Also, their current spending is 30% of turnover that includes a £10m parachute payment. I would be amazed if their wage bill isn't comfortably the highest in the division.

That's 50% of turnover for clubs that aren't in a babysitting process like they are. Also, their current spending is 30% of turnover that includes a £10m parachute payment. I would be amazed if their wage bill isn't comfortably the highest in the division.

I could've sworn Mr Allen stated in his last webchat that the 30% figure didn't include the parachute payments...

He breaches his contract to get himself sacked.

pompey don't have to pay compensation.

Barker agrees a signing on fee, less than the compensation would have been.

pompey fans don't get told about the hidden costs.

Everyone's a winner.

That would be a transparent way to do business - if it came to pass...

Oh dear, this is looking even more like an Old Boys Network.

Why would Barker want to leave a club, comfortably in mid-table in League One (only six points off the play-off places) for one that is only two off the relegation places in the division below?

Is it the magical draw of managing a really big club? Or is it that his old mate who he worked with at Bury, is chief executive and probably promised him a thicker wedge of cash than he was on at Crawley.

It really does show that Champagne Iain and the rest of the star-struck fans on the board do not know how to run a football club.

You can picture the meeting, can't you?

"Well Mark" says Champers. "We don't have a clue what to do. We've sacked Whitts, but how do we go about finding another manager? You are wise in the ways of football, do you think you could find us somebody? Do you know anyone who might be interested?"

"Oh, don't worry chairman, I think I might have one or two names in mind."

So all that "We've had 80 applicants and I'm blown away by some of the names" was all smoke. They didn't have any applicants, and Catlin has simply done what other Truss members have done - and will continue to do before it goes pear-shaped - and find a job for their mate.

Why would Barker want to leave a club, comfortably in mid-table in League One (only six points off the play-off places) for one that is only two off the relegation places in the division below?

For similar reasons Nigel Adkins left Championship S****horpe to drop a league to join Saints in League One and Simon Grayson left Championship Blackpool and dropped a league to join League One Leeds.

Yes, there are many delusional things said by Pompey players/owners/fanbase, but it would be foolish for any of us to deny that dropping a league from Crawley in League One to Pompey in League Two is still a good career move (in theory).

Pompey are basically a mid to small Championship sized club with their current infrastructure and fanbase. They have delusions of being more than that, but are still bigger than every League One/Two club apart from Wolves and Sheffield United.

Edited by Matthew Le God

While the FL ensure that they are paying off their old debts, then they have no money (or less than the competition anyway).

Southampton's 5 year plan was to get back to the PL from L1 WITH MONEY

poopeys 4 year plan is to get back to the 'top' from L2 with NO MONEY

Managerial suicide for any wannabe. He'll be sacked within months, particularly with the admission that when the phew start to turn then the board have to act.

They turn more often than a burger on a barbecue

Just read the BBC article re Barkers sacking and it seems Crawley have not scored for 7games.

They also lost to Newport in the JPT earlier this season, conceding 3 goals in the process. It's like a pre-condition, though that was with Crawley at home. :)

Also, assuming they don't manage to appoint their manager in the next 6 days, their first game with him in charge will be against... Newport.

Pompey are basically a mid to small Championship sized club with their current infrastructure and fanbase. They have delusions of being more than that, but are still bigger than every League One/Two club apart from Wolves and Sheffield United.

Not while they're under fan ownership they're not. They're at the end of a long queue with clubs owned by billionaires at the top of it.

For similar reasons Nigel Adkins left Championship S****horpe to drop a league to join Saints in League One .

Putting all rivalry aside there is no way you can make that comparison, none whatsoever. We were a well funded club with a mega rich owner, and premiership stadium and a five year plan with the finance to back it up, not to mention training facilities, academy etc etc, who the hell wouldn't leave scun thorpe for that?

Pompey are a basket case.

Not while they're under fan ownership they're not. They're at the end of a long queue with clubs owned by billionaires at the top of it.

Putting all rivalry aside there is no way you can make that comparison, none whatsoever. We were a well funded club with a mega rich owner, and premiership stadium and a five year plan with the finance to back it up, not to mention training facilities, academy etc etc, who the hell wouldn't leave scun thorpe for that?

Pompey are a basket case.

All I said was moving from Crawley in League One to Pompey in League Two is a career progression, even if the latter is in the lower league. Barker would get a higher wage, a higher player budget to work with, bigger crowds, better stadium, better youth setup than he did at Crawley.

Yes, the Pompey Trust are a disaster of infighting waiting to happen, but it is hard to say Crawley to Pompey on the face of it isn't a good move for Barker even if it probably will end in tears.

Edited by Matthew Le God

All I said was moving from Crawley in League One to Pompey in League Two is a career progression, even if the later is in the lower league. Barker would get a higher wage, a higher player budget to work with, bigger crowds, better stadium, better youth setup than he did at Crawley.

Yes, the Pompey Trust are a disaster of infighting waiting to happen, but it is hard to say Crawley to Pompey on the face of it isn't a good move for Barker even if it probably will end in tears.

Not sure that's necessarily true. Word on the grapevine was that Whittingham was only on a salary of around £75k. I'd be very surprised if even a club like Crawley couldn't afford that amount for arguably the most important person at a multi-million pound company.

I was about to point out that no-one needs a quiet word to know that's not a progression. Newport just stuck 3 on them in the JPT with their reserve team (and in the middle of their 4 month long injury crisis), remember?

Also, Appleton's available isn't he?

Just got a new job thanks, so not interested.

All I said was moving from Crawley in League One to Pompey in League Two is a career progression, even if the later is in the lower league. Barker would get a higher wage, a higher player budget to work with, bigger crowds, better stadium, better youth setup than he did at Crawley.

I dunno, sounds like career suicide to me. Pompey are a bigger club but they are a basket case. If there is one thing managers don't like - it's sh!t going on behind the scenes. It's a club that is going to have to cope with the parachutes coming to an end, legacy debts, FL restrictions and on top of that there is fans with unrealistic expectations.

It would take a brave or desperate manager to risk their career on that cluster-f*ck.

pompey may have been around longer than Crawley and have a bigger fanbase, but there is no structure, a crumbling stadium, no youth development, legacy debt and little sign of quality management in the boardroom.

It's a club that needs a squad overhaul midseason, but with no great money to spend.

Players will have to be released/sold before many can be brought in.

It's a project that was started badly by a cowboy builder and now needs a firefighting rescue job.

As in previous years, unless you are being highly paid or have little choice because no one else wants you (Appy, Cotterill, Whittingham), who would want to take the job?

They haven't attracted a good quality manager in years, and even though they are technically bigger than Crawley, I don't see the attraction improving now they are in the basement.

So it may be career progression, but it could be a long way round as a shortcut to the Championship.

If I was a manager I think I'd wait and see who gets fired next in the Championship or League One - there will be better opportunities if you are a good manager.

If however you aren't much good, take it!

I guess of course Richie Barker could have been sacked today by stating he was going to breach his contract in any case. In which case I would assume that Crawley would look for compensation from Pompey if he is appointed as the new man. So that could hold stuff up.

Bit of a blow for the Pompey Few though who wanted the likes of Warnock etc.

And if he is Caitlin's choice, it all brings it closer to the Pompey Board of 7 HNWIs, who of course respect the pledgers, as they panic en masse in any case!

It's just so much ongoing fun on this thread debating the critical mass that is Pompey!

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})