Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

says in todays Sun that they have also approached the Newport County manager, Justin Edinburgh, but were told to f-off.

It was particularly strange that they approached Newport to speak to Edinburgh yesterday when he made it pretty clear in the press a week ago that he wasn't interested.

It was particularly strange that they approached Newport to speak to Edinburgh yesterday when he made it pretty clear in the press a week ago that he wasn't interested.

It's almost as if Pompey are trying to unsettle other clubs in the league to improve their own chances. I don't for one moment think they'd be that underhand of course...

As I said last week, they're simply playing to the gallery of simpletons that make up their fanbase so when they inevitably appoint someone on the cheap they can claim they tried their best to get someone who might appease them and quell the disquiet.

Oxford have bizarrely given Chris Wilder permission to talk to Pompey. Genuinely baffled by that.

I've just posted a comment on the local newspaper article, reminding Oxford fans of Pompey's glorious past, sound financial footing, wonderful ground etc etc

I actually think this is a bit of posturing by Wilder because he's only got 6 months left on his contract. In any event, Oxford wouldn't get compo so I'm baffled too.

Ricky Holmes might want to remember that he's spent most of his career in non-league. I remember him playing for Chelmsford only about three years ago. They have a sh*t squad and sh*t management. Not difficult to see why they're in trouble.

I thought his comments were pretty sensible, club are in a relegation battle, it's a tough league and the players have let the manager and the fans down, on paper their best 11 shouldn't be relegation material the fact that they are staring down the barrel just makes it all the more entertaining.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/10851108.UPDATE__Oxford_United_confirm_boss_Chris_Wilder_set_for_Portsmouth_talks/

United chairman Ian Lenagan said: "We have allowed Chris Wilder to speak to Portsmouth, partly out of respect for Chris’ long service at Oxford United and partly because we want our manager to be at Oxford United because he has the desire to be here, not because we prevent him speaking to other clubs.

"Chris and I have been entirely straightforward with each other and from the board’s point of view we have made it abundantly clear that that we want him to continue doing the good job he has been doing at Oxford United.”

Lenagan also hit out at the approach becoming public on Saturday and blamed Portsmouth for the leak.

He said: “There are ways of doing these things properly, and we feel that the timing of the approach by Portsmouth, and the leaking of that approach on a matchday – whoever was responsible for that - was not doing things properly.

:mcinnes:

Same old Pompey...

When looking up their results (coz I'm sad like that) I still automatically click on 'League One'. Always makes me smile when I then remember that they're lower than that :)

Don't get too used to it... :-)

Edit: clicking on L2, that is....

Edited by suewhistle
sa

Nabil Hassan ‏@NabilHassan79

Oxford United give #Pompey permission to speak to manager Chris Wilder: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25200054 …

Trousers ‏@Lord_Trousers

@NabilHassan79 Thoughts on Oxford chairman accusing #pompey of "not doing things properly"? http://goo.gl/nQ6QQz

Nabil Hassan ‏@NabilHassan79

@Lord_Trousers slightly baffled by it as the leak came out of Oxford. Pompey have been entirely professional.

Someone somewhere is telling porkies then...

I thought his comments were pretty sensible, club are in a relegation battle, it's a tough league and the players have let the manager and the fans down, on paper their best 11 shouldn't be relegation material the fact that they are staring down the barrel just makes it all the more entertaining.

Name me a league that isn't tough - for example, in the Championship it's often said that 'anyone can beat anyone' - which is something I think they said about League One when we were there.

Bearsy?

You called? i went to a villa charity thing with my villa mate one time and they had john gregory after dinner speeching. After he'd done telling dumb stories bout stan collymore or whatever, he got up on the stage with a guitar and sung a bunch of songs including one he wrote himself bout Stylian Petrov (who has cancers). It went like this, "something bout the titanic / and boats / are quite good too / but when they built you petrov / they broke the mold". I may not have lyrics quite right, it was few months back now.

He likes a drink. FACT.

Personally I'd like them to up the ante a bit on the big race to snatch the hot seat.

The PR so far has been pretty shoddy.

Perhaps link a few more ludicrously-ambitious target names with it, handily glossing over the whole compensation issue.

Or suggest that big names have been rejected, turned down by the plucky blue board as they seek a better option.

Maybe slag off anyone who declines it, no doubt because the job is too big for them.

Yeah, come on on, let's hear more spin about the 100 great applicants clamouring to take on the biggest dream job in football...do they have the experience?

Can they match the ambitions of the board?

Can they cope with the passion of the fatpipes faithful?

Will they turn El Rickety into an arena where teams fear to tread?

Do they want to bother prossies at the club's expense?

Can they fill in a media template?

All these important questions need answering.

All blows a hole in theory that the parachutes have been set aside to pay off the footballing debts. They are obviously being used as cash flow and the millions of debts have just been kicked into the grass. Don't worry about it now, something will turn up.

We knew this when the repayment schedule for the player creditors was published a couple of months ago.

This is epic. That board has gone into melt down over it. ''I'm a better bestest fan than you, this is how you should support your club to be more like me''

Read a couple of pages of that thread and all I can see is a load of perfectly sensible Pompey fans calling that Charter a load of old sh it. Some of the responses are quite funny in fairness.

http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=526137

As a Saints fan you have to love the pure intensity of the bickering, but fair play to Colin Farmery for at least trying to communicate. Shall we start a sweepstake as to when TCWTB gets either laid out by supporters or banned by the club?

Clearly this chat with Westwood and his mong crew has never happened and the club are sh1t scared to have it. When are they gonna realise the bloke is an embarrassment and annoyance to the fans.

Often when talking about Pompey to fans of other clubs they'll ask "do you still have that tw'at with the bell" - or words to that effect. I then have to explain that he's not all there, smelly, and likes surrounding himself with the menatlly challenged and books people really don't want.

:lol:

http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=526137

As a Saints fan you have to love the pure intensity of the bickering, but fair play to Colin Farmery for at least trying to communicate. Shall we start a sweepstake as to when TCWTB gets either laid out by supporters or banned by the club?

Those concerns are heard, I can assure you. Addressing them is less straightforward. Are fans really asking for the ground regulations to be applied to all fans, in all cases to the letter?

Does Colin hold an official capacity at PFC?

If so, is he really suggesting that the ground regulations don't apply to some fans in some cases? If so, what is the point of the ground regulations?

Does Colin hold an official capacity at PFC?

If so, is he really suggesting that the ground regulations don't apply to some fans in some cases? If so, what is the point of the ground regulations?

The point of the ground regulations is to help ensure the club can get a safety certificate to allow them to open the ground.

But seeing as they're usually the responsibility of the council, and the council looooooooooooooove them, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just giving them one irrespective.

From having a swift read of that forum the gist seems to be - "Holy sh*t, someone please tell me I didn't just blow a grand of my hard earned/stolen cash on setting a bunch of under qualified chancers up for life."

The Micah Hall resentment creeping in is hilarious. My favourite comment was that there would probably be a "Micah Hall holiday collection bucket at the next game."

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-head-to-top-in-boss-hunt-1-5726046

McInnes said: ‘I keep hearing we have either been cowards for sacking Guy or brave for sacking Guy.‘

I would love to know what we are, perhaps somebody can please tell us! As a board, we decided a change had to be made and now are conducting a thorough selection process to identify the best candidate for the job.

‘As part of that, Darren Simmons, through his contacts, has spoken to an ex-England manager and also a current Premier League manager.

‘It would be unfair for us to reveal who these people are – but they were only too willing to pass on some of their football experience.

‘Their views have been priceless in the process so far and we thank them for their time and assistance.

Edited by trousers

If the council hadn't given them a safety certificate, they wouldn't have got their loan back.

All this infighting was entirely predictable.

Imagine what it would be like if they had some success and there was actually something to fight over.

The number of jobs that could be dished out on Premier League money could keep the extended families happy for years.

Let's not forget that their kitman was on a higher salary than our manager when we were in the Championship.

But that was under very different owners who had little transparency and were more concerned with conning the fans, gambling on elusive promotion, and looking after themselves.

Thankfully they left those days behind.

@pn_neil_allen: RT @SkySportsNews: Sky sources: Chris Wilder and Richie Barker favourites for Portsmouth manager's job #SSN

@pn_neil_allen: There you go then. 'Sky Sources' reckon Barker and Wilder favourites for the #Pompey job. Who would have thought it. Well done.

@pn_neil_allen: RT @SkySportsNews: Sky sources: Chris Wilder and Richie Barker favourites for Portsmouth manager's job #SSN

@pn_neil_allen: There you go then. 'Sky Sources' reckon Barker and Wilder favourites for the #Pompey job. Who would have thought it. Well done.

He's got a valid point with his sarcasm about "Sky Sources", they've basically just nicked the "news" (easily obtained from oddschecker or reading reports and tweets from any of the local reporters) and claimed it as their own.

Ex England manager = Peter Taylor

Technically not an 'England Manager' but anyway...

Premier league manager?

Must be the guy who held the fort for a bit at Palace?

"current" premier league manager. Of course, they've only spoken to them . I once spoke to an ex-prime minister. That didn't mean he was going to work for me.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})