Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

"current" premier league manager. Of course, they've only spoken to them . I once spoke to an ex-prime minister. That didn't mean he was going to work for me.

Exactly. So they know Graham Taylor's and Tony Pulis's (or whoever) phone number. Well done Pompey.

Them boasting about it is just something else to add to the "do you realise quite how small time they are now" pot.

Exactly. So they know Graham Taylor's and Tony Pulis's (or whoever) phone number. Well done Pompey.

Them boasting about it is just something else to add to the "do you realise quite how small time they are now" pot.

Exactly this. So tinpot.

Ex England manager = Peter Taylor

Technically not an 'England Manager' but anyway...

Premier league manager?

Must be the guy who held the fort for a bit at Palace?

If you read it carefully, they're not saying those were the people they are trying to recruit, but the people they've spoken to for advice.

Meanwhile, caretaker manager Andy Awford has accused the Pompey players of being intimidated by playing at Fratton Park.

"They were like rabbits in the headlights. They looked scared to play out there"

"It is an intimidating place to play for home players but they have to get used to it because they play for Portsmouth and that is not going to change."

Completely Deluded. Embarrassing.

Meanwhile, caretaker manager Andy Awford has accused the Pompey players of being intimidated by playing at Fratton Park.

"They were like rabbits in the headlights. They looked scared to play out there"

"It is an intimidating place to play for home players but they have to get used to it because they play for Portsmouth and that is not going to change."

But brilliantly funny!

I'm confused, is he saying every home game is Pompey's Cup Final?

I'm surprised anyone manages to do anything at Fratton Park, the home players are intimidated by the atmosphere and so are the visiting ones even the referees bottle it...

He's got a valid point with his sarcasm about "Sky Sources", they've basically just nicked the "news" (easily obtained from oddschecker or reading reports and tweets from any of the local reporters) and claimed it as their own.

Are you saying Sky Sources are just Twitter?

Surely not?

I'm surprised anyone manages to do anything at Fratton Park, the home players are intimidated by the atmosphere and so are the visiting ones even the referees bottle it...

The fans are too scared to turn up too.

He's got a valid point with his sarcasm about "Sky Sources", they've basically just nicked the "news" (easily obtained from oddschecker or reading reports and tweets from any of the local reporters) and claimed it as their own.

Sky sources presumably = online odds, assuming Skybet bothers with League Two managerial vacancies of course.

You can still get 33/1 on them detting relegated. They are 11/10 to be in the bottom half.

Who says bookies don't give good odds.

It's not a bad bet when you consider they're likely to lose any of their vaguely decent players to any half decent offers of long term deals or any kind of transfer fee, and they can't replace them with anyone permanent who costs anything. A couple of injuries to Webster and Barcham (who I think is decent but doesn't get a game often) and the inevitable Connolly recurrence and they'll be right in it.

It's not a bad bet when you consider they're likely to lose any of their vaguely decent players to any half decent offers of long term deals or any kind of transfer fee, and they can't replace them with anyone permanent who costs anything. A couple of injuries to Webster and Barcham (who I think is decent but doesn't get a game often) and the inevitable Connolly recurrence and they'll be right in it.

I think half the problem with the players is the hero lauding they get from the Snooze and the fans. It creates far more pressure on them than similarly talented players at Rochdale, Cheltenham or Morecambe.

But they all refuse to recognise that they are the same.

If the away teams are scared to play there, the home team is overcome by pressure, all officials wilt at the majesty of the occasion, and the fat in the pipes is the only thing holding the place up, why don't they just bulldoze and start again with something a bit nicer?

I think half the problem with the players is the hero lauding they get from the Snooze and the fans. It creates far more pressure on them than similarly talented players at Rochdale, Cheltenham or Morecambe.

But they all refuse to recognise that they are the same.

I don't think it makes the blindest bit of difference, it's all part of the myth. There is no pressure at that level, and the local newspaper is all but irrelevant nowadays. Even when they were in the Premier League nothing the News said would have been in any way relevant to on-field performances.

If the away teams are scared to play there, the home team is overcome by pressure, all officials wilt at the majesty of the occasion, and the fat in the pipes is the only thing holding the place up, why don't they just bulldoze and start again with something a bit nicer?

Oi, I've just forked out £60 for 3 tickets to see them a week Saturday (sorry, can't help where the cash ends up, I gave it to Newport County), at least wait a fortnight to knock it down.

Speaking of Newport... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25237557

Justin Edinburgh explaining why he "turned down a possible move to manage his former club Portsmouth"...

Involves the following (I have assisted with some reading between the lines in places):

"It was an easy decision"

"they're a massive club" (I assume the apostrophe denotes the omission of the letters w and e, he was referring to Portsmouth)

County's current success is just one of the reasons (NB they're not even in the Playoff places at the moment)

"I made my feelings quite clear that I was happy here"

"It's flattering" (as it is when anyone expresses interest)

"Being my previous club as well, where I finished my playing my career was obviously a bit of a pull." (but not enough to even speak to them)

"Loyalty is laughed upon in football but..."

"I felt that it was the right decision that the club refused permission for me to speak to Portsmouth"

"I think I've got stability here" (what, Portsmouth, unstable? Nooooooooo that was before)

""I've got the board and a director of football that are excellent and give me their full backing" (not expecting such a thing at Portsmouth?)

"we have a fantastic set of supporters" (possibly the best in the world, better than the Skates' it seems, anyway).

Oh and there's what he didn't say about the Chairman at Newport: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23533706

Scadding, a Newport fan, funded the signing of striker Christian Jolley, who scored the goal at Wembley to get them promoted, out of his own pocket.

But he plays down the part his bulging bank balance has played in the club's success since he arrived in April 2012.

"I'm not a sugar daddy," he said.

"I'm not an open cheque book. But as I've always said, if we're in a position to do something, and we need another player and Justin comes to talk to me we usually find a way round it."

Living within their means - as they have had to in climbing the non-League pyramid - is definitely the message from Scadding, but he will not let that curb his ambition.

Seeing as the chairman won £45m on the lottery and all... though he has just got divorced.

bfe6d9487dd4fba5b9e3cc00f9bba442_normal.jpegAdam Blackmore@bigadamsport

Jungle drums saying Richie Barker will be the next manager at #pompey - one other candidate has said the same to us, but not official yet

b96a03e6360c766c8fd54ab06bf70515_normal.jpegNeil Allen@pn_neil_allen

Richie Barker board choice to be #Pompey manager. Contract now being finalised. http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-pick-barker-1-5733141 …

Only 15 minutes behind the Beeb Neil... ;)

Edited by trousers

Not Barker surely?

The hot favourite from day one?

No, that can't be right because it would suggest that the last week of sham interviews was to disguise the fact that he breached his Crawley contract to save pompey compensation and they needed to go through the motions with the other 99 candidates.

Well if it is Barker, it's another Football League rule carefully sidestepped!

easy to get yourself sacked Mr G if you have another job lined up that requires you being a free agent.

You just start an argument with the board.

Compensation not allowed, but nothing about signing on fees - I'd be surprised if they haven't had to pay him instead of Crawley.

Let's not forget January 2010 when several players suddenly gave up their contracts at other clubs and became free agents thus beating the embargo.

Tis a well-trodden path.

All the candidates they interviewed had no compensation involved, the Football League won't let them pay compensation for a manager. Iain McInnes admitted as much in a recent radio interview.

Tisdale ? Wilder ?

What they say and what they do are two entirely different matters.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})