Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I think, for the purpose of the present appeal, the intricacies of what is or isn't reasonable for foreign image rights is secondary. If HMRC issued an assessment before the vote, then that was the debt until it had been properly resolved in the proper place at the proper time. Not by the Chairman unilaterally discounting the debt. The taxman operates a "pay now argue later" policy.

They should have been allowed to vote.

Yeah of course. I was thinking that when it gets to court it will be in much more detail. aa's refusal to even explail why HMRC's debt had been adjusted at the CVA meeting wont have gone down well but he wont be able to do the same in court.

With it being in much more detail I guess it will lead to more of a swipe at the law in general rather than Poopy's specific case.

Are HMRC just going after Poopy hoping to nail them to a wall in order for other clubs to think twice about crossing them or are they going after the rules that allow Football clubs to get away with so much, using Poopy to highlight the issues it wants to raise?

What Transfer embargo???????????

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/The-number39s-not-up-for.6426689.jp

Well they can't be accused of trying to hide it!

Very brazen to come out and publically explain how they are about to continue their two finger waving at the authorities.

They will actually build a half decent team. I just hope somebody reminded android of how they ended up in this mess in the first place.

They do not automatically get the FL approval it only allows them to ask and it would be so funny if they deliberately let half decent people go to get below 20 if the FL then said no.

Very brazen to come out and publically explain how they are about to continue their two finger waving at the authorities.

They will actually build a half decent team. I just hope somebody reminded android of how they ended up in this mess in the first place.

One of the comments said something interesting. Think it might be someone off here but doesnt matter.

"The fact that SC doesn't fancy him isn't really the FLs problem. They stipulate a minimum of 20 players, not a minimum of 20 players that the manager rates."

I wonder how the FL will treat this? If Poopy pay off a load of contracts to get them out of the door and then ask the FL if they can bring in others to make up the 20 it will surly be to late for the FL to argue as there own rules say there must be 20. Should they not speak up now and tell Poopy they can only release players that are out of contract anyway or something?

I would hope that the FL would look at it on the basis that there are two types of player to be released.

There are the "stars" who need to be released to prevent the club from running out of money (er, again). Utaka, Ben Haim etc... if these are released out of necessity and it means Pompey don't have a squad of twenty then I think they should be allowed, under certain restrictions, to replace those players.

However, releasing the reserve keeper and a couple of 18 year-olds just because the manager doesn't rate them should be viewed differently. They should not be allowed to replace those until they can demonstrate they are on a sound financial footing or that the replacements are on less £££.

Yeah of course. I was thinking that when it gets to court it will be in much more detail. aa's refusal to even explail why HMRC's debt had been adjusted at the CVA meeting wont have gone down well but he wont be able to do the same in court.

With it being in much more detail I guess it will lead to more of a swipe at the law in general rather than Poopy's specific case.

Are HMRC just going after Poopy hoping to nail them to a wall in order for other clubs to think twice about crossing them or are they going after the rules that allow Football clubs to get away with so much, using Poopy to highlight the issues it wants to raise?

|Hopefully both

"The third is Danijel Subotic – the Swiss striker who has failed to make an impact at Fratton Park.

Boss Cotterill doesn't rate the trio, while Subotic's reputed £3,000-a-week wage is a drain on finances the club can ill-afford.

The 21-year-old has effectively cost Pompey £390,000 since Harry Redknapp brought him into the club in January 2008.

He has also never made a first-team squad during that time."

Another fantastic signing by the master wheeler-dealer. One from the same mould as Marco Boogers and Paolo Futre.

When you see deals like this, is it any wonder Redknapp is under investigation? How or why would any manager want to add such a burden to the wage bill?

So, I go off on my hols and nothing happens again then.

Are they Dead yet?

Sorry smirk smirk. Got a txt msg about HMRC just as I landed in Wroclav, made my week so far. Never ever ever ever ever saw that one coming, same as I predicted 30,000 posts which this wind up radio internet thingy I'm having to use will miss out on that big moment.

Merrily onwards for more Zubrowca and may the thread enjoy the climb to 50,000 posts

He couldn't, because HMRC's follow-up question would have been "In that case can you please explain why you have not similarly reduced the level of debt of those voting in favour, and which you acknowledge you expect to reduce substantially after the vote".

With Chester City, they didn't pay the players, so the players went on strike. The club couldn't field a team, so were kicked out of the Conference (after a vote by the other Conference clubs).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chester/8538236.stm

With a bit of luck, the FL will take one look at P*mpy, see they don't have enough players and say ''you don't meet the requirements, sorry, bye bye'' and take back their share. That'd probably mean playing the Championship with 23 clubs this year though.

On the plus side a good Championship striker. On the minus - that's nearly quarter of their player budget blown.....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/Striker-wants-to-stay-at.6426706.jp

Had to laugh at this comment though:

Jagermeister,

19/07/2010 12:38:21

Nugent will be fine in the Championship no questions asked. Needs 6 or 7 games to get match fit and will be gr8. If we can keep him he will be good for 25+ goals and if we can sort our def and midfield and keep David James we will have a good chance of promotion. Come on offer DJ coaching job or whatever it takes to keep him, he will be worth 20+ points alone between the sticks

Ummm so the plan is - Jamo keeps 'em out at one end, Nugent bangs them in at 'tother and all will be well. My I laughed...! ;)

"'We had a chat and he told me the plans for the club.

It sounded good and I want to be a part of it."

Not the brightest though.

have been away for a min break and so only back in today.

Nugent sums it up when he says 'Nobody has come in for him he is going to sit on his big contract and then be a free agent next summer.Nothing about wanting to play for Pompey IMO.

I notice that some seem still think Pompey have not got away with it. IMO unless they are wiped out they have.They have had 5 wembley appearances a trip to Europe and watched a team of internationals. if their penalty is -9 and an appeal for something a top administrator thinks will fail, and at the same time they can rebuild their squad by using a dodge I still believe they will/have got away with it.

At this moment in time, they are still going along swimmingly. The FL seem to be as bending for them as the PL were, why?

I agree that Sonko's deal has not as yet been rattified, but I would have thought it would be stopped immediately if the FL had shown any negative vibes. Look at the difference to how Salisbury ,Luton, Rotherham, Bounremouth have been treated and there seems to be a massive diference

Had to laugh at this comment though:

Jagermeister,

19/07/2010 12:38:21

Nugent will be fine in the Championship no questions asked. Needs 6 or 7 games to get match fit and will be gr8. If we can keep him he will be good for 25+ goals and if we can sort our def and midfield and keep David James we will have a good chance of promotion. Come on offer DJ coaching job or whatever it takes to keep him, he will be worth 20+ points alone between the sticks

Ummm so the plan is - Jamo keeps 'em out at one end, Nugent bangs them in at 'tother and all will be well. My I laughed...! ;)

Nugent's best goal scoring season? 15 goals in 43 games for a settled and competitive Preston team that finished in 7th position in the 0607 season. Chances of Nugent scoring 25+ goals for Pompey? IMO very low.

Nugent's best goal scoring season? 15 goals in 43 games for a settled and competitive Preston team that finished in 7th position in the 0607 season. Chances of Nugent scoring 25+ goals for Pompey? IMO very low.

FFS, there we go again...adding the facts to their dream of promotion. Next think you know there'll be a skate on here claiming Smith has spent his entire career banging the goals in for top flight clubs...oh.

yeah i saw that...was convinced he was Stoke on Trent.

My wife's cousin met him a few years back when he still played for arsenal. She spent 20 mins talking to him before she asked what he did for a living. When he said he is a footy player she asked if he was any good. Someone else later explained exactly who he is and the penny dropped. Lol

Still I thought she had a fair question anyway.

Edit: oh the point to the above was, she was convinced he was chatting her up and I questioned her as I thought he bats for the other team too.

Edited by saintjay77

Yep - to Fiona Barratt, 29, the granddaughter of millionaire housing tycoon Sir Lawrie Barratt, met Sol in 2005 and he proposed last year.

Saw the pair of them having dinner in the Northbrook arms in West Stratton a couple of years ago. She is fit as!!!!!

Comment number 14:

Another season of us being called cheaters.

Yes, indeed.

CHEATING BASTARDS.

These two stories are a mile apart

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Fully-fit-squad-is-just.6427887.jp

http://www.dcunited.com/press-release/2010/07/portsmouth-announces-roster-ahead-of-dc-united-friendly

12 hours... no posts .... I thought Rob LLoyd wa going to buy the shower yesterday ....

He went down B & Q for it but anybody connected to Poopy is banned after those 'incidents' with some of their players.

Got to admire the spin doctor who wrote this in that DC United article.

"Pompey plays its matches at legendary Fratton Park, the team’s home since 1898 that is widely regarded as

one of the most intimate stadiums in Europe."

:lol:

Intimate as in more c*ckroaches, slugs, fleas etc procreate there than most sewers in the rest of Europe.

poor Steve Cotterill - took a job at a club in crisis and is now surprised to discover that he appears to be at a club in crisis.

Says he's having trouble juggling the squad for games - isn't that called 'selection', one of the major tasks of a manager?

He'd better get to grips with that pretty sharpish, they'll be other stuff like tactics he might be needed for as well.

He can't be as funny as Grant but he's going to give us some laughs - before the inevitable departure, moaning that he was misled, and that the nasty FL and HMRC made his life misery for no reason etc.

I do hope they don't break his spirit, we'd like to hear another of those Churchillian comedy routines as a farewell.

The number crunching and calculator bashing is finally on the verge of reaping precious rewards.

For Pompey, it's 20 and counting.

And it appears the Blues are poised to at last provide Steve Cotterill with good cheer as he strives to strengthen his threadbare squad.

Football League legislation states its members must have a minimum of 20 players in a squad.

It's a rule intended to preserve the league's competitiveness and ensure a fair and level playing field.

For Pompey, it represents the backdoor to nullifying the registration embargo.

Should their squad numbers dip below 20, they are permitted to ask the Football League for special dispensation to bring in extra bodies.

If they cant find 20 players kick them out!

Just one question……(appreciate this has probably been discussed and answered many times) but

Q: The CVA vote – were both secured and unsecured debtors both able to vote?

I understood that only those accepting the 20p/£1 would vote, but suggestions to the contrary?

What odds can you get on Saints selling more season tickets that Pompey's average gate for the coming season. Saints have sold over 13k, and Poorpy might manage 13 in total (including stewards).

13k for the promotion favs......pretty poor imo. Didnt Norwich sell 20k last season and Leeds similar?

Just one question……(appreciate this has probably been discussed and answered many times) but

Q: The CVA vote – were both secured and unsecured debtors both able to vote?

I understood that only those accepting the 20p/£1 would vote, but suggestions to the contrary?

That's one of HMRC's gripes, footballing (Secured) votes were accepted in the CVA and as were other Secured creditors.

Another good spin by Handy Andy. What he meant to say was 'He laughed at our offer and has f'cked off in pursuit of more money.'

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/Rocha-keeps-options-open.6428434.jp

Interesting quote regarding further proof of the CHEATS cheating-

'Considering the level of salary he was on (last season), for somebody that age it's a massive change when you are offered something significantly less'.

He was signed after the WUP when they knew they were heading for admin and not paying St Johns ambulance & local charities. This is why they still deserve all they are going to get.

These two stories are a mile apart

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Fully-fit-squad-is-just.6427887.jp

http://www.dcunited.com/press-release/2010/07/portsmouth-announces-roster-ahead-of-dc-united-friendly

12 hours... no posts .... I thought Rob LLoyd wa going to buy the shower yesterday ....

It's the start of the sob story to soften up the FL. May be a little bit late after publically explaining how they intend to cheat the system.

Cotterill was mad to take the job, but no tears for him. Regardless of what android told him or promised him, it wasnt difficult to work out what was going to happen.

Lampitt is the interesting one in this, does he have enough mates back at HQ to pull a few strings? and has the fact that they are paying up contracts, in order to sign other new players that their new manager wants despite the transfer embargo, rubber stamped by him?

Whatever happens with HMRC, in the coming months pompey will need the FL on side. On top of all this other stuff there is the small matter of storries court case, which the verdict will be during the current season. His charge directly involves pompey (Harrys and milans don't) so point deductions apply. Waving two fingers at the FL so early, won't do them any favours.

Ahh I see....is that typical of a CVA? Surely those already getting 100% have no place voting for those who are offered 20p/£1

No there is a link from a legal company that explains secured creditors don't vote in a CVA ( Few pages back)