Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Lampitt has no choice.

Forget any takeovers and get the finances under control - cut the wages to fit the budget of a season in the championship.

If he does that he has nearly a year to generate the investment for the CVA (if they intend to pay it).

If Ben Haim won't move you have no choice, play him and cut the wages offered to new players, play the kids (if there are any left)

It is very simple - as a businessman Lampitt has to steady the ship.

IF a new owner does come in you can then offer them a far more sustainable business in which they can invest.

Lampitt is ignoring the debt in the traditional pompey way, like previous bosses he is allowing the manager to gamble the club's future and everything is vague.

Without new investment another £20K a week signing would be insane, but still they chat to players.

The club is so badly run it has gone from funny to annoying.

Drop the mad US trip you nutter, tell Cotterill to quit moaning, the job is the same as it was the day he came in and he still has no money, and be honest with the few who are confused and dim.

He and Cotterill love spin, they just have to say 'we are in big trouble but we are in this together, we cannot strengthen the squad we have to bring in cheap players and results will suffer, but there will be a club at the end of it for the bestest fans, and together our plucky little club will be back.'

Or some other shallow siege mentality nonesense aimed at simple folk.

But to plod on with a budget reliant on new money, continuing to spend a la Storrie, is absolutely bonkers.

The elephant is still sat in the corner but he is now playing a trumpet and letting off fireworks.

Trouble is Rallyboy, Lampitt's been in now for what, a year?

By all accounts he's had loads of time to steady the ship.

Mark my words, Pompey have just had our season under Mikey Wilde. Now next they can enjoy 2011-12 - their 'Dutch Experiment' season. Apart from the fact they've let all their kids go.

Clueless.

It is amazing isn't it, it's like Storrie never left.

During his time there he must have written his own book on financial management, which they are currently following very closely

Surely the book is on financial mismanagement?

I can't write stuff this funny -

Despite abusing local charities and bankrupting local businesses.....

The club's progress in the community saw them honoured at the The News Business Excellence Awards earlier this year.

Excellence in business???

Community???

Please tell us this was the national sarcasm and irony awards.

Trouble is Rallyboy, Lampitt's been in now for what, a year?

By all accounts he's had loads of time to steady the ship.

Mark my words, Pompey have just had our season under Mikey Wilde. Now next they can enjoy 2011-12 - their 'Dutch Experiment' season. Apart from the fact they've let all their kids go.

Clueless.

I agree in most respects but I don't think they are clueless! They know exactly what they are doing. When their time is right, fixtures published and season commenced, they will return to the FL with the same old sob story "We don't have enough players to field a team". The fixtures having been published and season commenced is their coercion point. The FL, instead of asking "How are you going to afford players AND pay the C.V.A.?" are going to see the mess of a League underway and will cave in totally. Allowing them to sign Messi, Riquelme etc. rather than playing hardball and saying "OK, go away and we will now convene the meeting to remove you from this league, expunge your name and results and adjust the points tallies involving your already played games"

They may also whisper "You cheating baskets" at the end.

This is the end of the football stick which is covered in sh!te and it's slowly crawling all the way along.

Can't be because all of Pompey's debt was all the PL's fault remember? ;)

Oh, I forgot. So the forensic examination of the running of oldco PFC is a waste of time really, because the club was managed in a scrupulously correct manner and there ought instead to be an examination regarding how the PL runs their affairs instead. I've got it now. ;)

Oh, I forgot. So the forensic examination of the running of oldco PFC is a waste of time really, because the club was managed in a scrupulously correct manner and there ought instead to be an examination regarding how the PL runs their affairs instead. I've got it now. ;)

Nahhhhhh! you have to be webbed fingered, to believe that ;)

I agree in most respects but I don't think they are clueless! They know exactly what they are doing. When their time is right, fixtures published and season commenced, they will return to the FL with the same old sob story "We don't have enough players to field a team". The fixtures having been published and season commenced is their coercion point. The FL, instead of asking "How are you going to afford players AND pay the C.V.A.?" are going to see the mess of a League underway and will cave in totally. Allowing them to sign Messi, Riquelme etc. rather than playing hardball and saying "OK, go away and we will now convene the meeting to remove you from this league, expunge your name and results and adjust the points tallies involving your already played games"

They may also whisper "You cheating baskets" at the end.

This is the end of the football stick which is covered in sh!te and it's slowly crawling all the way along.

ESB you have got it in 1 IMO.

I have been banging on about how the authorities have been duped time and again and many mocked me especially when I stated that i felt people pulled back when the PM (Brown) came out and said about not letting the club die etc etc. I believe that there is corruption being hidden all the way to the top of the powers in world football and where those tentacles end up !

It is extraordinary that the media have not questioned why the compliance officer of the FA happened to end up at the club that actually seems to have flouted those rules.

It stinks and the smell of rotten fish fills the air of football.

Mack is a decent type and he knows that it is rotten but like us throws his hands up that this happens to the beautiful game.

If the Russians buy Pompey then we will go through the same again, buying lots of high value stars to get up to the PL and then hope that the throw of the dice will get the jackpot to pay off the debt and make a turn.

It may be a blessing that some strong squads have been relegated as that will make the job a lot harder for them (us as well of course0

I can't write stuff this funny -

Despite abusing local charities and bankrupting local businesses.....

The club's progress in the community saw them honoured at the The News Business Excellence Awards earlier this year.

Excellence in business???

Community???

Please tell us this was the national sarcasm and irony awards.

In fairness, "progress" could be interpreted in many different ways. For example, if a serial killer reforms himself, and is now content with rape, pillage, and only the odd killing, wouldn't that be considered progress?

I am sure a job at pompey will help anyone from the FA rise to the very top in football

DOCUMENTARY: Panorama

On: BBC 1 East (101)

Date: Monday 23rd May 2011 (starting in 9 minutes)

Time: 20:30 to 21:00 (30 minutes long)

Fifa: Football's Shame?

- Panorama. As Fifa's host nation Switzerland demands that football's world governing body clean up its act, reporter Andrew Jennings asks whether either candidate in the Fifa presidential elections is suitable for the role. On June 1, 2011, the world's football associations will either re-elect current incumbent Sepp Blatter, or elect his challenger from Qatar, Mohamed Bin Hammam. The organisation they want to head is facing the biggest crisis in its history over allegations of corruption in its senior ranks. At its heart are questions over the World Cup bidding process and the multi-million dollar bribes scandal which Fifa refuses to investigate.

Hoping to get the loans back for another season and Norris has agreed terms.....apparently.....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/great-matches/pompey_go_to_work_on_bringing_loan_stars_back_1_2704477

"Pompey are still waiting for the potential takeover of the Convers Sports Initiatives group to go through to allow work to begin on recruitment, though."

Wasn't this days away... weeks ago?

"Pompey are still waiting for the potential takeover of the Convers Sports Initiatives group to go through to allow work to begin on recruitment, though."

Wasn't this days away... weeks ago?

A nailed on certainty the week before Easter. Just dotting I's and crossing T's they were.

Can't imagine why the paperwork hasn't gone through yet. The FA probably lost it....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/great-matches/roll_up_roll_up_for_the_championship_bargains_of_a_lifetime_1_2707620

Poor Journalism..... clotterill hasn't had his company credit card cut up - he never had one.

Whilst it is obviously sad they are going to miss out on the very best ones available, the news must have forgotten that you still have to pay those players once you signed them...... Oh and of course the tax, but even putting that to one side (As per normal) there is of course the small matter of the CVA.

What odds will anyone give me that come the first installment of the CVA (Q1 2012) they can't pay it or go back into admin?

I'm no bookie, but i'm assumming the odds won't be that high.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-past/great-matches/roll_up_roll_up_for_the_championship_bargains_of_a_lifetime_1_2707620

Poor Journalism..... clotterill hasn't had his company credit card cut up - he never had one.

Whilst it is obviously sad they are going to miss out on the very best ones available, the news must have forgotten that you still have to pay those players once you signed them...... Oh and of course the tax, but even putting that to one side (As per normal) there is of course the small matter of the CVA.

What odds will anyone give me that come the first installment of the CVA (Q1 2012) they can't pay it or go back into admin?

I don't think they have any intention of servicing the CVA full stop.

I believe Clapham Saint noticed a couple of lines in the small print that said something along the lines of "if there isn't enough money to service it you will be getting nothing". And as most of the creditors weren't wise enough to this and voted for the CVA I bet that Pompey will escape any punishment from not adhering to the CVA on this technicality.

If they don't get bought out in the summer they'll be in trouble and if they do get bought out by the Russians no doubt further tens if not hundreds of millions of laundered money will be pumped through the club and the whole process will start again. As ESB pointed out no doubt they'll play the same sob story when the time comes saying they haven't got enough players for a squad and then they'll go and sign a load of PL rejects on £20k+ a week.

I believe Clapham Saint noticed a couple of lines in the small print that said something along the lines of "if there isn't enough money to service it you will be getting nothing"

What were these lines? I've seen this mentioned a few times but must have missed the actual find at the time...

What were these lines? I've seen this mentioned a few times but must have missed the actual find at the time...

It's a lot of trawling to go back through and jackfrost is right, it was our resident administrator Clapham Saint who found some wording that potentially got them off the hook.

I'd suggest the search functionality...... but on seconds thoughts :) :)

So they have added £700K to their list of debts. Thats 1,500 sesaon tickets just to pay of the back pay owed to Ben Haim.

That doesn't sound like the behaviour of a club that can fund it's way through the summer. I would imagine that this will run on until the next parachute payment arrives. Then there is the £1M dispute with Spurs to consider.

The is such a soap opera, whenever it gets dull, another debt or legal dispute appears, like a long lost member of the Mitchell family.

I don't know personally I'm only going on what's been said on here to be honest, but if it is the case that is how to rack up £130 million of debt, not have to pay a penny of it back and keep the business going.

I can't help thinking that if they had any intention of paying the CVA, they wouldn't be continuing to follow the Peter Storrie guide to financial lunacy

It's a lot of trawling to go back through and jackfrost is right, it was our resident administrator Clapham Saint who found some wording that potentially got them off the hook.

I'd suggest the search functionality...... but on seconds thoughts :) :)

Just a post number will be fine ;)

Christ, reading that was like reading a right old sob story. It's not fair, other teams are getting ahead of us, Clotterill doing the very best he can under difficult circumstances.

£120m, cancer charities, local businesses ripped off, plus £35m of everyone's money... quick to forget, aren't they?

I love how they make him to be the bad guy, responsible for some of their ills. No, you gave him a contract and now you're trying to wriggle out of it, f1sh f()ckers.

Is there are more deplorable football club?

Edited by Crab Lungs

If they can't meet their CVA obligations, won't that put them back into administration?

In theory they would head straight for the liquidator, I think. However, if the CVA document has a ridiculous get-out loophole, they'll probably be fine.

In theory they would head straight for the liquidator, I think. However, if the CVA document has a ridiculous get-out loophole, they'll probably be fine.

But surely one of the 'creditors' (I use the term lightly :D) can apply to put them back into administration? Or, alternatively, if the outcome of the 'football creditors' rule' favours HMRC, they too can apply to put them back?

I dunno - just trying to think rationally.

I don't see it. Liquidation law is brutal, if pompey don't pay the CVA they'll be right back where they started and a winding up order is sure to follow.

I was trying to remember whether there are any rules about actually being in a CVA from the Football Authorities. So I googled football association CVA regulations. It linked me to a pdf

Which I opened to find

A blank pdf file

http://www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/78/3/0,,10794~888,00.pdf

perhaps that is the loophole:-)

Or I just have an old Explorere version!

But surely one of the 'creditors' (I use the term lightly :D) can apply to put them back into administration? Or, alternatively, if the outcome of the 'football creditors' rule' favours HMRC, they too can apply to put them back?

I dunno - just trying to think rationally.

I think I've spotted where you're going wrong here... ;)

I'm not sure that there is an ultimate get out clause to avoid any payment at all. There was one for the original club (Company), which has now been liquidated, to avoid paying the first instalment of £3m, which they duly did. No surprise there.

But that gets added to the amount that the "new" club, the one that Chainrai "acquired" from the Administrator, has to pay to the creditors.

The CVA says that the new club has an obligation to make a contribution to the liquidation which is big enough to allow all the creditors to receive 20p in the £ (after deduction of costs) within 4 years and 3 months from the date of acquisition of the "new" club by Chainrai.

So whoever owns the club at that time (sometime in late 2014 or early 2015 IIRC) will have to stump up about £16.5m at that time. You have to add that amount to whatever any new buyer will pay Chainrai for the club.

Chainrai never intended to be around that long, so he won't pay a penny.

Edited by hutch

I was trying to remember whether there are any rules about actually being in a CVA from the Football Authorities. So I googled football association CVA regulations. It linked me to a pdf

Which I opened to find

A blank pdf file

http://www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/78/3/0,,10794~888,00.pdf

perhaps that is the loophole:-)

Or I just have an old Explorere version!

Works fine for me. Quite a lot of pages :uhoh: :lol:

I think I've just found the answer to my own question:

After the approval the company must make the agreed contributions to the trust account administered by the supervisor. Failure to keep up with contributions is deemed a default and the company voluntary arrangement can be "aborted". This usually leads to liquidation or receivership.

http://www.companyrescue.co.uk/company-rescue/options/detailed-cva

Bullet point no.9 in the section 'After the proposal is completed'.

Well Mr . Ben Haim , if you really mean what you say , then get real , tell your agent to F.O and accept a realistic wage . You know that we are not a PL club anymore and therefore the club are not in a position to pay your inflated wage . You should also know that you are not a world class defender and that there are no long lists of clubs clamouring for your services. So why dont you do justice to your career and instead of just sitting on a bench , put your boots on and concentrate on helping our club fight for its rightful place in English football . Very simple when you think about it.

Lol, brilliant comment. Completely missing all the points as usual and pretty much reaffirming the intelligence levels that side of the M27 by ending his tirade "very simple when you think about it".

Very simple indeed.

I think I've just found the answer to my own question:

After the approval the company must make the agreed contributions to the trust account administered by the supervisor. Failure to keep up with contributions is deemed a default and the company voluntary arrangement can be "aborted". This usually leads to liquidation or receivership.

http://www.companyrescue.co.uk/company-rescue/options/detailed-cva

Bullet point no.9 in the section 'After the proposal is completed'.

But if the creditors were to miss any cleverly worded small print in the CVA and agree to possibly receiving 0, and they then receive 0 would this happen?

As Pompey wouldn't technically have broken the agreement in the first place I'm not convinced it would.

Edited by JackFrost

But if the creditors were to miss any cleverly worded small print in the CVA and agree to possibly receiving 0, and they then receive 0 would this happen?

As Pompey wouldn't technically have broken the agreement in the first place I'm not convinced it would.

You would think at least some of the creditors would have their legal representatives checking for such clauses.

You would think at least some of the creditors would have their legal representatives checking for such clauses.

With the exception of just over half a dozen creditors, their acceptance was managed by the administrator himself and lies at the heart of my own personal theory of how they managed to survive. Infact the head of one of their supporters groups who met with lampitt, then published the minutes or headlines of the meeting, which bascially admitted it. He was then contacted by both sides legal teams and the article was removed.....how strange.

With the exception of just over half a dozen creditors, their acceptance was managed by the administrator himself and lies at the heart of my own personal theory of how they managed to survive. Infact the head of one of their supporters groups who met with lampitt, then published the minutes or headlines of the meeting, which bascially admitted it. He was then contacted by both sides legal teams and the article was removed.....how strange.

I sincerely hope the new forensic accountant is aware of all these shenanigans! Let's hope someone has pointed him in the direction of this site - he will learn so much.

so they haven't actually been paying the full wagebill this year???

Whoops, that's a little gem!

Ben Haim will get his wages from the next parachute money as long as the football creditor rule doesn't get overthrown before he gets paid, so he couldn't give a sh=t.

All they've done by not paying him is helped themselves to a short term loan from advanced Prem money, presumably to cope with horrific cashflow, and publically pretended to break even....ish!

They could set a new record for squandering £48M and having nowt to show for it* - I can't see much parachute money making it as far as Chanrai let alone a new owner.

Ben Haim has done sterling work, if he does play in August, (presuming West Ham paid him for the first half of the season) he will still have taken £2M off pompey since the last game he started for them, and if they ever pay NI and tax it will have cost them even more.

£2M? - a third of their annual target for 25 players - and he earned that between games!!

Think about that....it would be like us still having Rasiak on the books.

And if he stays on that money they will have three players costing a total of £4M a year - don't know if I've mentioned it at all in 784 pages but the figures don't stack up!

Stand up Sir Ben, go join Storrie in the statue-measuring area.

*No big deal, they would only be breaking their own record.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})