Simon Francis

Matthew Le God

Southend's right back and their player of the year...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southend_utd/8681230.stm

Could the unnamed League One team that Southend have accepted a bid from be Saints?

It is likely to be one of the bigger League One clubs. Peterborough have previously had a bid turned down for him.

I can't think of many other clubs in League One in the financial position to afford him apart from Huddersfield, Brighton, Peterborough and Saints. The rest of the larger teams in the League such as Sheff Weds, Plymouth and Charlton have no money and are unlikely to be bidding.

Fans view - http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60892

Southend OS - http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~2058504,00.html

Edited by Matthew Le God

If he's a RB, and you say he is, then ... I deduce we are said "mystery League 1 side."

So where does this leave the move for Calderon, if indeed we are the side who have offered for Francis?

We need 2 RB's, both of equal quality. Francis was one of the best players in their team on the last day of the season IMO.

Well, one Shrimper fan thinks it's likely to be Brighton. Fair call really, since we are apparently taking their RB.

LOL at another SUFC fan who says that Saints scout who watched Lee Barnard bang in the goals, must also have noticed who supplied all the crosses!

If we do get Francis + Calderon then RB sorted and cheaply too. SUFC fan was suggesting 150K for Francis. Seems reasonable as he has a year left on his contract, but was player of the year for them.

Even though the club mentioned may not be us??:confused:

er that was what i was saying. I didnt say "cant believe we have had a bid accepted and that Cortese has been under the radar again. OMG" now did i, just that i wouldn't be surprised, given the way the transfer seems to be going, that it would fit the NC mould.

Sigh.

Mmm, underwhelmed in a way if it's us. Let's face it, should we make a habit of signing players that have contributed to the failure of another club? Don't know - he might be the one shining light in SUFC's squad - he might be the best RB in the division when playing alongside our other players in defence. It will be a gamble though taking a player like this - he'll not be a Fonte for example - and we cannot afford to gamble next season surely?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6170600,00.html

According to Sky, he turned down Posh in January because he wanted to go to a bigger side. Maybe it is us then because there's only Sheff Weds of comparable size in League 1, if that's his criteria.

Might also mean we've given up on Calderon, if he's playing games waiting for contract offers from all and sundry, or his hip injury means he failed a medical or we've 'Elliott Ward-ed' him because Francis was the player AP preferred.

He looked good at St Marys, running with the ball and very decent long-range set-pieces - much better than Davis.

The 'unnamed League One side' line certainly adds weight to the possibility of Saints, how many knew about Barnard for instance?

Did we also pay a first option fee for Francis at the same time?

If not him, maybe go for Johnny Mullins at Stockport, Club caption and can play centre half as well as right back...

Edited by markr27

I thought he was pretty mediocre to be honest.

Didn't look anything special. Would rather have Calderon.

I'm fairly confident it is us and if he plays like he did last game of the season, he is more than welcome.

Amazing how we see the same game differently.

What about him impressed you Gemmel ?

Not saying you are wrong,but just interested.

Mmm, underwhelmed in a way if it's us. Let's face it, should we make a habit of signing players that have contributed to the failure of another club? Don't know - he might be the one shining light in SUFC's squad - he might be the best RB in the division when playing alongside our other players in defence. It will be a gamble though taking a player like this - he'll not be a Fonte for example - and we cannot afford to gamble next season surely?

I sort of agree. Tactically we should continue to sign players from clubs who are likely to be the tougher opposition next season - to weaken them (like Puncho from the Dons, which was a brilliant signing) .

Could one of 10 clubs, its not necessarily us.

Which ten clubs?

Most of the "larger" clubs in this league are broke e.g. Sheff Weds, Charlton, Plymouth.

And the smaller clubs either couldn't afford Francis or meet his ambitions.

I'd narrow it down to Peterborough, Brighton or Saints

from another site

Had a text from a Brighton supporting friend this evening, saying they are signing Francis. They have lost their right back Calderon to Southampton. He says he has been mentioned in their local press the past two weeks

the mysterious under cover nature of this stinks of Cortese IMO.

Decent player

tbh.. I rather like Cortese's undercover style. He doesn't play the media game, and totally ignores rumours and gets on with his job.

He doesn't have to report to anyone and " discreet bidding " makes sure we are not "guzumpt-ed." I have to say the hysteria surrounding every " Saints want to sign " media hype is enough to give you a heart attack.

NOT running to the press every time we think we might want to make a bid for someone is a sound idea. It's nobody's business who we sign till it's made public and it's obvious that the HCDAJFU thread has little or no effect on the way in which AP selects his prospective signings.

Although I fully expect AP to sign at least one " older, experienced player" and even a former Prem. name the bulk of his new signings are likely to be English-based players between 21-26 with some league experience in CCC or L1...although I do expect either Antonio or Papa Waigo to return...but not both.

NO I don't have any inside sources. I simply study history and keep stats. If you think I'm wrong ..wait till August and see.

There are always " good " players - even in a relegated side..and they are anxious to move on whilst others are glad not to be released.

AP, Wilkins and Wally D. are well-acquainted with players at this level and surely know who they are recommending that NC should sign.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_6170600,00.html

According to Sky, he turned down Posh in January because he wanted to go to a bigger side. Maybe it is us then because there's only Sheff Weds of comparable size in League 1, if that's his criteria.

Might also mean we've given up on Calderon, if he's playing games waiting for contract offers from all and sundry, or his hip injury means he failed a medical or we've 'Elliott Ward-ed' him because Francis was the player AP preferred.

PLUS ..there is always the "other player" factor. The old adage ..sign 'em in pairs isn't ancient history (not at this level anyway), and we already have Lee Barnard from Southend, maybe that will tip the scales.

If I were manager, one of my questions to any new player would be ..

"who's the best player at **(your old club) ..now that we've signed you ?. You might get some interesting answers.

Brighton think it's us......and actually seem to hate us

http://northstandchat.com/showthread.php?t=175206

They appear to believe we are signing Francis AND Calderon. I say let's him them for six and sign that Gavin Hoyte that they keep bleating about as being the better of the three players...:D

Not fussed which right back we bring in, so long as: There are two of them, one main and one happy to fight for a place, both want to be here, and one or both will be good enough for the nPC should we get promoted.

They appear to believe we are signing Francis AND Calderon. I say let's him them for six and sign that Gavin Hoyte that they keep bleating about as being the better of the three players...:D

Not fussed which right back we bring in, so long as: There are two of them, one main and one happy to fight for a place, both want to be here, and one or both will be good enough for the nPC should we get promoted.

on long contract with Arsenal