Mayuka Leaves Saints Permanently

jawillwill

Well most of the other new players have got their own thred this evening....

I know he didn't get a huge amount of time on the field today, but he was much more noticable than he was against United. Looks like he has the potential to be a good player for us, and caused Villa fair few problems towards he end. Looked pretty desperate to make an impression and score - shame he didn't because I think it would have done the world of good for his confidence.

Very effective 15mins. His pace caused all sorts of problems, looked to have a great touch as well as he brought one down and hit it...just wide.

I think he's going to be a very exciting weapon for us to use this season. Teams won't know a great deal about him for a start.

I thought he went down at the end very well just enough to make look good but not so over the top the ref thought he was faking it........:p

In all honesty I thought he looked bright for the short time he was on wheather he has enough about him to replace Puncheon at the moment I'm not sure .I'm going to watch the cup match on tuesday wouldn't be surprised to see Mayuka start for that one would be good to see him get a full run out.

He looked good. Never understood why people were questioning the signing after Utd. People do form and stick to their opinions far too quickly
I didn't read any of those posts, but no idea why. When he came on he did enough to show he would offer a threat and today he showed he has composure to go with it. Very exciting times. Lambert, Lallana, Ramirez and Mayuka represent real variety in attack. Wonder if those crying about us letting Sharp go to Forest still think it was a mistake?

Seemed to have a good touch and very eager, almost like a bottle of pop that had been shaken up then opened. One minute on the right next over on the Left hunting down the ball.

Lallana, Mayuka, Lee, Ramirez, Lambert on the pitch at the same time would be a bit of giggle 30,000+ folks would find out what colour fear is!!!

Gaston was truly excellent, Yoshida did well in the main, but Mayuka's all too brief run out left almost as big an impression on this fan as either of the other newcomers.

Early days of course and some players are like shooting stars - they shine brightly only to fade away - but I was so impressed with this lads mobility, skill, and enthusiasm that I'll stick my neck out and say we got a glimpse yesterday of this teams post Lambert future.

I reckon we've got a live one here.

Someone likened him to Henri Camara which is a good call. I'll be very happy if he measures up to that standard.

I've said that a few times. He has all the attributes, can't wait to see more of him. He's a bit of a secret weapon right now, but I can see him taking a few teams apart once he gets into the side. Going to be tough though with Sir Ricky and Ramirez taking the "striker" berths.

Mayuka. Oh dear dreadful. Oh FFS. Fish out of water.

IF you can watch the game again you will see that just after he came on his over eagerness caused him to completely mis-kick/air shot. He ran into a couple of blind alleys and it was Gawd we have a headless chicken here, he looks about 12 years old....

THEN. He got the ball on the right edge of the box, near the goal line. Two big defenders in front of him and he did one of those Sci-Fi TV series things - he just seemed to "shimmer" and suddenly he had not actually moved yet the two defenders were gone. If it was a Ronaldoesque step over it was far too fast for us to see it.

Suddenly he was off and running, perhaps that settled his nerves? He was taking up positions and that shot on the turn couldn't have been more than 4 inches away from a dream debut goal.

Oh yes, this is another interesting player. As someone in the bar said - Nathan Dyer with a brain and skill.

At the end of the day, we had a fantastic second half yesterday. BUT that cannot excuse the fact that Puncheon was abysmal in the 1st half. He completely failed to find any ball to a players feet, he got in the way and gave the ball away (after Clyne) to set up their stupid soft goal. In that first 45 minutes IF we'd had ANYONE other than Puncheon on the right we could have been tearing them apart for longer.

Give Mayuka a good run against Wednesday need to get him Saints Fit and integrated into the team asap and then that right side Puncheon enigma problem can go away and we will look much more impressive..

(Except that I am not sure of the defensive abilities of the newbie....)

It's a shame that throughout the match yesterday, when we were defending our goal, we never had a player upfield, which would have required a couple of Villa defenders on him.

Mayuka is just the player to utilise in that way. His blistering pace would mean that any ball cleared towards him on the halfway line and he would be straight through on goal. He'd only have to finish a couple of goals with finesse from this sort of position for defences to be sh*tting themselves if he was left upfield when we were defending our goal.

I assume he's just bedding into the team and having to fight Punch for a place who, despite being so hit and miss, has staked a decent claim to the RM position.

Looked very good against Villa, only a matter of time before someone puts him though for a one on one with a keeper who is going to look silly against him (well worse than Guzan last week(

It's a shame that throughout the match yesterday, when we were defending our goal, we never had a player upfield, which would have required a couple of Villa defenders on him.

Mayuka is just the player to utilise in that way. His blistering pace would mean that any ball cleared towards him on the halfway line and he would be straight through on goal. He'd only have to finish a couple of goals with finesse from this sort of position for defences to be sh*tting themselves if he was left upfield when we were defending our goal.

This.

It didn't work against Manure because he was an unknown and he was not familiar with the way we play.

But once he has scored his first premiership goal he will be regarded as a real threat to opposition defences, especially when ours is under pressure.

So are we putting him down as a forward who can play on the right side of the park. Or will he be coached into being a Winger ?

Too Early ? :)

I've seen a few people talking about him playing on the right. Is there any reason for this? Has he ever been a winger? We never suggest putting Lambert on the right, what's behind the desire for Mayuka to play there?

I've seen a few people talking about him playing on the right. Is there any reason for this? Has he ever been a winger? We never suggest putting Lambert on the right, what's behind the desire for Mayuka to play there?

lambert regularly drifts out to the left......forward lines are pretty fluid these days..just a case of defending properly up the pitch

It's more a desire to get punch out the first XI homes

I personally think Lambert has the brain to play anywhere in the front 6, but he's doing such a good job in the No 9 position this season so far he shouldn't be moved to accomodate others. Shame for JayRod though, you'd think he'd earned a start, but even if he does play it may not be in his favoured position. He'll either have to wait for a Lambert dip in form (which could take a while), an injury/suspension, or hope we end up resorting to 4-4-2.

As for Mayuka, from the couple of glimpses I've seen of him, he looks very good. He'd have to be, if we ended up loaning out Sharp and Manny proves to be a heap of shyte, Adkins would be given hell. Again, with Lambert in front of him, and JayRod to boot, he'll have to wait for his chance, or be given a run out in the Puncheon position. I hope he gets a full game against Leeds at least, that I'd love to see.

• 4 months later...

No they would not they would simply sit slightly deeper.

• 1 year later...

I thought Mayuka last night had a decent game. Spent a bit of time watching his movement and his attitude and he looked pretty good. Pointing where he wanted the ball, made some good, intelligent runs that if played in, he would've had opportunities. He also did a fair amount of chasing down as well. What I didn't understand was no one seemed to want to try and pass the ball through to him to feet at all. We really did play a lot of hoof ball, which is no good for players like Mane or Mayuka.

I thought Mayuka last night had a decent game. Spent a bit of time watching his movement and his attitude and he looked pretty good. Pointing where he wanted the ball, made some good, intelligent runs that if played in, he would've had opportunities. He also did a fair amount of chasing down as well. What I didn't understand was no one seemed to want to try and pass the ball through to him to feet at all. We really did play a lot of hoof ball, which is no good for players like Mane or Mayuka.

Are you sure? When talking about him after the game we agreed he must play like Didder Drogba in training to keep getting appearances. Can't remember him touching the ball. As for other point about his great movement and intelligent running that we never found due to playing off ball, I seem to remember people saying similar things about Tanadari Lee. He didn't seem to make any intelligent movement whatsoever, as usual and whilst he might have worked hard that's the least you expect from a player isn't it? One thing Mayuka has proven is that however we play or whoever we plays he isn't up to it.

Turkish, I will admit that I'm very much a glass is half full person, so always try to look for the positives and I just feel that Mayuka could turn out to be a decent player for us in the future. He offered us much more than some last night, but that is not really saying much I'll admit.

Turkish, I will admit that I'm very much a glass is half full person, so always try to look for the positives and I just feel that Mayuka could turn out to be a decent player for us in the future. He offered us much more than some last night, but that is not really saying much I'll admit.

For me, he makes no impact on games. Runs around (not that intelligently most of the time to be honest), but he's technically atrocious. He can make the runs all he wants, but if his touch sends it out of play then it's pretty pointless.

An incredibly limited player, who after 3 years, sadly isn't going to make it here. And the jury is out as to whether he can make it in a top league full stop, given his horrific form out in france last year.

He offered nothing , touched the ball once and has never scored for us has he ? Get rid he's ****

He offered nothing , touched the ball once and has never scored for us has he ? Get rid he's ****

It's not that easy, he's on a WP, means we can't loan him out in the UK without the host club applying for a new one, which he probably won't get, him being dire and all. Sochaux took a punt last year and no doubt regretted doing so, he probably on far more than a club can pay for a player of his level so we're stuck with him.

He scored against Barnsley in last seasons League Cup. As far as I'm concerned he's had enough chances to show he can do something, I'd rather one of the kids took his place on the bench. Aren't the U21's top of the league? Surely Ryan Seagar, Josh Sims, Sam McQueen couldn't be any worse than Mayuka? Surely their full of confidence from being top of the league?

• 1 month later...