Saints vs Reading Build-Up

trousers

Just had a quick look on our ticket site, wasn't going to count them up, but still seem to be plenty available in all the usual bits of the ground. Is it true that Reading haven't taken block 43?

Yer, not sure why? They were all quite happy turning up last season and sitting in silence for the majority when they were winning. Surprising as I always thought Reading fans were some of the most dedicated, loyal and noisy fans around...

(Some of the above may not be 100% factual)

Jason Roberts took us to pieces. Is Yoshida really going to stop that happening again? Worried...

Pavel Pogrebnyak on his day is pure class as well.

But I wouldn't say their defence is any better than ours. This game could end up anything if both sides attacking play is top drawer, but I think midfield is where it will be won or lost.

Can't help thinking this may be THE make or break game for Nige and only a win will do. These are three points we just cannot afford to lose.

Weston Saint posted earlier that Nigel had been given till end of November and would then be reviewed. In which case Saturday is probably the final exam.

Since that time a radical development is the spectre of De Matteo in the background and Cortese's alleged desire to get him installed.

Also it is widely assumed that NC fell out with Nigel after the debacle of the last Reading match and a repeat now may prove disastrous for NA and give NC the excuse he may be looking for, and with two weeks before the equally important Sunderland game ... well who knows?

Really, really hope we stuff Reading, they were so cocky last season and not as good as us really and truly. However, we need to get our mojo back for this one as it was a bit like new manager syndrome for a while but gone right off the boil once again now.

If we lose, next Monday could be interesting ...

Jason Roberts took us to pieces. Is Yoshida really going to stop that happening again? Worried...

No he didn't take us to pieces.....Kebe was the danger man.....a pin point cross and Roberts stuck it away. We have to stop the service to Roberts and I think we are much better able to do this now....Shaw and Cline......I am quietly confident.

Reading did have an initial 1,700 allocation but have been given 700 more tickets and now have an allocation of 2,453.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/tickets/away-games/

Poor that they can't sell out the 3,100 seater away end for a relatively local, important, Premier League game.

according to my Reading mate, saints wanted them to pay up front for the allocation so they only took the basic, looks like saints have agreed to give them some more, silly situation if you ask me, if we are going to do it like that then make an early decision and put block 43 on sale to home fans otherwise you end up with the last minute brigade being buying in 43 and diluting the atmosphere between the Northam and away fans.

No he didn't take us to pieces.....Kebe was the danger man.....a pin point cross and Roberts stuck it away. We have to stop the service to Roberts and I think we are much better able to do this now....Shaw and Cline......I am quietly confident.

Quite right. Roberts and Le Fondre will cause problems if we let Reading get a load of balls into the box from wide positions but they're both pretty impotent otherwise. Key is not to give their wide men room and to dominate possession against their pretty rigid 4-4-2. If we play well with the ball we will win.

Re Reading having to pay for the tickets - that's just standard practice isn't it - and the reason why we often only take a smaller initial allocation and if they sell go back and get some more.

More important as far as I'm concerned is why Reading's tickets for Man City away are £40 whereas ours were £51 and £49? (IIRC)

Can't help thinking this may be THE make or break game for Nige and only a win will do. These are three points we just cannot afford to lose.

Weston Saint posted earlier that Nigel had been given till end of November and would then be reviewed. In which case Saturday is probably the final exam.

Since that time a radical development is the spectre of De Matteo in the background and Cortese's alleged desire to get him installed.

Also it is widely assumed that NC fell out with Nigel after the debacle of the last Reading match and a repeat now may prove disastrous for NA and give NC the excuse he may be looking for, and with two weeks before the equally important Sunderland game ... well who knows?

Really, really hope we stuff Reading, they were so cocky last season and not as good as us really and truly. However, we need to get our mojo back for this one as it was a bit like new manager syndrome for a while but gone right off the boil once again now.

If we lose, next Monday could be interesting ...

That's not what Weston said at all. What he said was in response to the rumours that Adkins had been to a meeting with Cortese. The gist of it was after a training session Adkins and Cortese had their usual chat but that there would be a planned review of the season so far at the end of the month.

This game may well be the decider for Nigel & Co, perhaps only a decisive win good enough. Draw or lose and both results are possible against a stubborn Reading side and Cortese's patience may snap. If he is in the mood to change things around he'll have to decide very soon otherwise like Nigel's late substitutions - nearly always too late to effect the outcome - he will have forfeited the chance of saving us. We are into December and the squeaks are starting to escape. For me this is another 1-1 at best.

Reading did have an initial 1,700 allocation but have been given 700 more tickets and now have an allocation of 2,453.

Poor that they can't sell out the 3,100 seater away end for a relatively local, important, Premier League game.

They hardly took any fans to QPR and that's their nearest game.

Re Reading having to pay for the tickets - that's just standard practice isn't it - and the reason why we often only take a smaller initial allocation and if they sell go back and get some more.

More important as far as I'm concerned is why Reading's tickets for Man City away are £40 whereas ours were £51 and £49? (IIRC)

Because we were the first match of the season and therefore a Category A game.

Must win, we can't be dropping points against teams in the bottom half of the table and expecting to stay up, Norwich and Liverpool were disappointing, Liverpool are a shadow of what they used to be and should of had something out of that and we must be beating teams like Norwich at home.

1 point from the last 6 available is no good. Must do better. Quietly confident of a decent win here though. We are more organised defensively than even a few weeks ago IMO and there are signs of slow improvement. I would worry for us, however, if we didn't win this. I think Reading will finish bottom this campaign and we need to take the points desperately.

Remind me how many of us went last Nov to their place? Was it 5k or more? If they only shift 2.4k it's pretty feeble

If Ramirez is out, keep rest of the side and formation the same (will have had plenty of rest by then) and bring in Guly for Gaston.

Controversial maybe but given the circumstances, this is worth a go for one game.

Why not Steven Davis up there and have Guly on the bench?

I like Guly but Steven Davis is far far more effective than him in the "Gaston attacking midfielder" role.

If Gaston isn't back then move Adam into the number 10 slot and play Danny Fox on the left.
:lol: great idea, or we could put a midfielder in. Sticking with same formation I'd drop lallana into the hole, put punch on the left and give mayuka a go on the right. Or we could go for a 442 and swap Ramirez with Rodrigues.

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116471

A lot of them think we'll have too much for them, which we really should to be fair. Just worry if Gaston isn't around then thats a big hole to fill, but maybe it will make some of our other boys to step up. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go 4-4-2 with Lambert playing just off J-Rod as we have done a couple of times this season.

:lol: great idea, or we could put a midfielder in. Sticking with same formation I'd drop lallana into the hole, put punch on the left and give mayuka a go on the right. Or we could go for a 442 and swap Ramirez with Rodrigues.

I'd go with this, except the bit about the 4-4-2.

Are attacking back up options are really only Mayuka, Rodriguez and Guly.

Or Steve de Ridder :uhoh:

probably feels he's not here to play in the kids and stiffs. Bit of an insult to full internationals really.
He was poor against Leeds as well, but I agree, he must be wondering what he is doing here, as this must obviously feel like a step back for him. He's the sort of player that needs cleverly threaded through balls to run onto, plenty of players in the first XI that should be able to do that for him.

He was poor against Leeds as well, but I agree, he must be wondering what he is doing here, as this must obviously feel like a step back for him. He's the sort of player that needs cleverly threaded through balls to run onto, plenty of players in the first XI that should be able to do that for him.

Agree - for me if Ramirez wasn't back to play I would match Reading's 4-4-2 and put Mayuka in for Ramirez, moving up front with RL.

If we needed Mayuka could drop out wide with Lallana moving centrally so we could play 4-4-2 or the favoured 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 with the same starting XI.

Just had a look at that, this one stood out -

"I'd say, their results and confidence are at a very similar level to ours - except they're scared ****less of us after last season."

:rolleyes:

Glad to see though that most of their fans recognise that we thoroughly outplayed them but missed our chances.