• Perry
    • Cork
    • Skacel
    • Lallana
    • Surman
    • Schneiderlin
    • BWP
    • DMG

Disappointed given the number of efforts on goal, but pleased that we maintained some level of performance after Reading... Plymouth were never gonna come here and play an open game, so in many respects I'm not surprised at the result, but the most important thing at the moment IMO is to keep picking up points which we've done, even if we'd rather have two more than we got.

Another poor home performance, never seem to create enough at home and are struggling to score goals. Very disappointing.

Creating them didn't seem to be the issue tonight, just converting them. Such is life sometimes. But the least you can do in those circumstances is not lose, and in previous games we may well have conceded a silly goal and lost.

Would have been crass to moan after Saturday, but we continue to struggle hopelessly in terms of results at home, and consequently our crowds remain low. We seem to have no idea how to break teams down at home, to be fair to JP, Burley was as hopeless when it came to this, but thats not good enough. On top of that 3 points tonite would have been so useful with almost everyone else drawing.

Lets hope we can get a win at The Valley on Saturday

I would say its a bit of progress as normally after a suprising away win on the Saturday the following midweek game has normally been a step backwards, Plymouth had come off the back of a comfortable win themselves on Saturday.

In Saints current climate I would say it is a point won not 2 points lost...................................................................... Blimey things must be bad if I am happy with a point to keep the points tally moving.

Everything we wanted - except a Saints goal.

Not a bad side though Plymouth, 7th going into tonights game, and they obviously came for the draw. On the positives, a clean sheet, another point (more than Charlton, Blackpool or Norwich managed) sounded like a good cameo from Patterson and a much improved performance from James.

At least we're away next!

Shame we couldn't have recorded back to back wins but, as the previous poster said, if someone had offered us 4 points before the Reading game, most of us would've taken it - myself included. Next up Charlton: a win there and 7 out of a possible 9 would be a positively healthy return. I must be careful; I'm almost being optimistic.

So, we can get a result away from home against good footballing teams on the attack, then cannot hit a cows arse with a banjo at home against a bunch of physical negative hod-carriers.

Considering there are more hod-carrier Collectives than good footballing teams in this division, this is an unfortunate conclusion to draw...

4 points from two games isn't disastrous and with Charlton losing and no one below us making ground, it hasn't been a bad night (although Watford and Charlton were both away from home).

It was business as usual at St Mary's.

We probably had most of the posession, but nothing much in the way of clear cut chances. McGoldrick rounding the keeper was probably our only clear cut chance, and straight after that they had a clear header which was their only real chance.

Think we once again played too pretty at times and never used the width of the pitch to our advantage. The positive was that under Perry, our defence looked much better.

First to moan at the ref, so have to say D'Urso and the linesmen were very good tonight (even providing us with a cheer as the Kingsland lino went over on his ar55e).

Team Scores

Davis - 6 - Nothing really to do, but distribution dodgy at times.

James - 7 - Much better and looked good going forward

Cork - 7 - Very composed and steady.

Perry - 8.5 - Solid, confident and a tower of strength

Skacel - 7 - Got stuck in, used his head and pretty sound

Lallana - 8 - The guy is class, very skilful and elusive. Quiet after being kicked into the Itchen towards the end!!!!!

Surman - 7 - Some very neat passages of play, but just expect more form him

Scheiderlin - 6 - Didn't do enough for me, fairly anonymous

Wright-Phillips - 7 - Tried hard and got involved

McGoldrick - 6 - Just don't rate him, sorry.

Robertson - 6 - Didn't do much for me, never looked like scoring (or getting in a scoring position).

Subs:

Paterson - 6 - Got half an hour, but no real improvement on Robertson

Gasmi - 5 - Pretty anonymous and not on long

Not a bad side though Plymouth, 7th going into tonights game, and they obviously came for the draw.

Apart from their left midfielder, I'm afraid to say I thought they were no great shakes!!!!!

Their right back (Des Walker meets Mark Stein) was absolutely terrible and would have thought we should have let Lallana have a run at him.

They played with one up front, but certainly pressed us hard in the second half as I think they thought they had a chance of getting all three points after the break.

So, we can get a result away from home against good footballing teams on the attack, then cannot hit a cows arse with a banjo at home against a bunch of physical negative hod-carriers.

Considering there are more hod-carrier Collectives than good footballing teams in this division, this is an unfortunate conclusion to draw...

Actually, you would be surprised how many teams in this division play football. Having now seen 2/3 of our games this season, I have yet to see one of these 'hod-carrier' outfits you refer to, but I am in Paris today so missed the game. Perhaps Paul Sturrock erected a wall in front of goal...

We where a bit too flat in the second half and we really lack something upfront coming off the bench. It was fine at the start but when we needed to make a change we brought on Patterson and he done the same job as Robertson, we needed something different up there for the last 30 mins. It's games like that where you need to bring on a poacher, someone like Rasiak or John for the last 30 mins would have been perfect.

The two centre backs where brilliant again, Skacel and James where both very poor though. In the first half James linked up well with Lallana but he really dropped off in the second and made some shocking decisions. Skacel just seemed slow and didn't put in any decent crosses.

We really need to work on our corners in training though, we must have had about 10 today and didn't look like scoring at all. Defending was just as bad, why we feel the need to have BWP in the box rather than on the halfway line is beyond me, it makes no sense at all.

2 hours of my life I'll never get back...

Just goes to show, nice passing means jack if it's not going anywhere and you've got to duds up front.

Davis - 6 Can't really say he had a save to make. Dropped it a couple of times.

James - 6 Reliable enough, but offered little going forward. Wasn't really challenged much.

Cork - 7 Solid I thought, but nearly gave a goal away attempting ballett in the penalty area.

Perry - 8 MOTM Good reading of the game again. Bailed us out of trouble on a few occasions. 2 great last ditch tackles.

Skacel - 7 Reliable enough. I think our best spells in both halves came when he pushed forwards into the midfield. One good saving tackle. Tired badly towards the end though.

Lallana - 7 Full of ideas and running, but not really up to much when it came to the final ball.

Surman - 6 Just didn't influence the game enough for me. Is a jellyfish in the tackle. Good passing, should have shot a few times and didn't.

Schneiderlin - 6 Big lad but nowhere near physical enough. A few times Plymouth broke and were allowed to run at the defence because this guy needs to grow some balls. Good passing though.

BWP - 7 Looked good running at the defence. Was great first half, a real carry-on from his Reading performance. Seemed to fade second half, like a couple of others, but still looked one of the more likely candidates.

Robertson - 3 Looked like a giraffe on crack.

DMG - 4 When he came off, we really missed his through-balls to nobody on the penalty spot.

Subs:

Patterson - 5 Worked hard, forgettable

Gasmo - 5 Little time, no impact.

Pretty awful game to be honest. Think the fact Plymouth came for the draw didn't help at all. The first half things were just to congested and we couldnt create that clear chance we i personally felt we deserved. We were better 1st half and they were better 2nd half. DMG was unlucky with his shot that got cleared off the line. At the end of the day it was just 2 poor teams taking pot shots and that is all it was. Lots of trying but no ideas. Think that sums up our team at the momment.

However im happy to let this one go because of the weekend result. If you asked me if i would take 4 points from 6 before the Reading game i would bite your hand off for it. So while no team deserved to win really i think the lads can still feel they did ok. We dominated the game in the first half and most of their chances were down again to our own faults. Next weekend for me is a critical game for us. If we lose were be right back in the **** again.

Another okay performance against a typical championship side. First half played well

and well on top, second half more even. Overall we should have won the game.

I thought Mcgoldrick should have scored when he had shot cleared off line.[ had he

not slightly overun the ball he would of had a clear run at goal, and therefore would have had a clear one on one with the keeper, who looked dodgy all night].

4 points from two games isn't disastrous and with Charlton losing and no one below us making ground, it hasn't been a bad night (although Watford and Charlton were both away from home).

We probably had most of the posession, but nothing much in the way of clear cut chances. McGoldrick rounding the keeper was probably our only clear cut chance, and straight after that they had a clear header which was their only real chance.

Think we once again played too pretty at times and never used the width of the pitch to our advantage. The positive was that under Perry, our defence looked much better.

First to moan at the ref, so have to say D'Urso and the linesmen were very good tonight (even providing us with a cheer as the Kingsland lino went over on his ar55e).

Team Scores

Lallana - 8 - The guy is class, very skilful and elusive. Quiet after being kicked into the Itchen towards the end!!!!!

Robertson - 6 - Didn't do much for me, never looked like scoring (or getting in a scoring position).

Subs:

I'd generally agree with those ratings. I feel that Schneiderlin often looks that bit too casual on the ball; he was nearly caught in possession a few times. Cork can have the same air about him when he brings the ball out of defence, but he always seems to evade the lunges. BWP I thought had a decent game, put in the effort and linked well with Rudi. He also made two excellent runs followed by good crosses in the first half, the second of which (on the stroke of half-time) really should have produced a goal - McG headed over.

First half especially we had the lion's share of possession, corners and so forth - but we didn't make it count. I felt the second half was much more even, with Argyle seeing more of the ball and looking threatening at times. Having the solid experience of Perry in the back four makes one hell of a difference; let's hope Jan keeps him in the team.

All in all, hardly a game to remember; was glad to get home and warm myself up with a glass of Jack Daniels!

Team Scores

Subs:

pretty much agree with all comments and ratings apart would have put BWP bit higher -thought he had excellent first 45

Well that was the best spent 90 mins of my life who wouldnt enjoy watching a dull match freezing cold with neither team looking very dangerous. I heard on Radio Hampshire someone mention about different systems at home and away, and after my first away game at reading I dont see why we dont play like that all the time, everyone seemed hungry to have a go on sat but tonight I cant remember who it was but they broke through to the 6 yard line and still didnt shoot after running a good 20 yards with the ball, no one seemed to want to shoot

What a let down. We must have had some 60 -65% of possession in the first half and yet again were unable to do anything really substantive like score with it. Some lovely passing across the field, very little movement off the ball and frankly apart from BWP making the effort down the wing we never looked like we were going to get in a position to score.

Why we feel the need to pass so much I will never understand, we seem to lack ideas but ultimately it all comes down to not having an out and out striker.

I'm as disappointed as others, as I have only seen one home win in the league this season and it simply is not good enough.

And this was another occasion where we played really well for 45 minutes, but not that well the other 45 minutes. What is it? Do teams totally nullify us tactically? The passing and movement in the first half were great, but far too often we seemed to be afraid to have a shot on goal, preferring to try and walk the ball into the net. At other times we had the vast majority of the possession, but just did not make it count. There was one occasion when one of our midfielders, I do not know which one, dribbled the ball virtually along the entire centre line, although to what purpose I do not know, as he was showing no forward movement, not threatening anybody. As usual, the opposition were quite happy to let us have plenty of the ball until we took it into their final third.

Until the last half an hour, the defence hardly had much to do, but if Plymouth had a bit more about them, they could easily have stolen all three points from us, but fortunately their strikers were as bad as ours tonight. Again, McGoldrick was useless. Bradley Wright-Phillips was good out wide left and gave their right back a torrid time, but when he crossed the ball into the box, the finishing was poor. Other performances that were notable came from Cork, Surman, Perry and Scacel. Although Perry and Cork again looked good together, when it became evident about 20 minutes from time that we wouldn't have scored had the match still been going now, the thought crossed my mind that perhaps we ought to have put Alex Pearce on, as he would almost certainly have scored a headed goal from the numerous corners we had.

To conclude, I left the ground musing about when exactly we are going to begin serious campaigning against Lowe and Wilde. I concluded that if we are prepared to accept such poor fare in our own ground without protest, then exactly what would be the catalyst for the campaign? I'm thinking that the sale of players like Lallana, Surman and Schneiderlin should do it, but it seems from tonight's attendance that apathy rules and many have just given up coming to home games. I'm beginning to see their point; it hardly set the pulses racing and I just come away feeling empty....again. Another £48 more or less wasted.