Alex Ferguson Retires!

Batman

Fergie has been part of the bricks and mortar of English football ever since he moved down South. When Mourinho was gushing with praise earlier in the season, he referred to Sir Alex Ferguson as the "boss of bosses". Cannot argue with that. He was already a legend when he considered retirement a decade ago, and has only really increased his stature in the game since then. I've heard that he is disappointed about the number of Champions League titles he managed to win with United, but no other manager has done what he has done; to successfully keep a team in contention for honours season-on-season, renewing the team as he goes.

Manchester United won't be the same club without him. Could Fergie's exit mark the beginning of the end of their dominance?

He owes it all to Saints.

We beat them 4-1 in an evening game in 1986 and Ron Atkinson was sacked the next morning, with Fergie taking over.

What's often forgotten was that he really struggled for a couple of seasons but they stuck with him. Doubt if that would happen today.

Nothing really against Man Utd - prefer them to City, Chelsea and Arsenal for various reasons. But this is a real shame, big loss for them, big loss for football. I honestly don't think we'll see anyone like him again.

This is someone who took an average team (and they were average) and made them the biggest club in the world from top to bottom. It wasn't the owners that did it, HE did it. Fair play that man, awesome work.

Manchester United won't be the same club without him. Could Fergie's exit mark the beginning of the end of their dominance?

All in NC's Masterplan - he knew this was going to happen.

United will crumble just like Liverpool did.

Make way for The New Kids on The Block ;)

Interesting quote from David Gill on the BBC website:

"In Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex we got in managers who got involved in all aspects of the club. That degree of loyalty is crucial to the success of Manchester United. He (the next manager) needs the required football experience in terms of domestic and European requirements, so it is a small pool."

That last sentence could be telling...could that rule David Moyes out? Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Funny story from Ian Ridley on talksport today. Said as a young reporter he asked for an interview with Fergie, he had never met him before but Fergie agreed to meet him on Monday morning at 7am. Ridley turned up and made some comment about how early it was. Fergie said "I get to work at 6.30 every day, I don't need much sleep". Ridley making polite conversation said "a bit like Maggie Thatcher then". To which Fergie lost it, went red and shouted at him "do NOT compare me to that bloody woman"

Gone by Xmas..

Tactically not a good enough choice for a club of Utds stature.

Wonder if felliani will end up there?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

well, he wont be gone by xmas wil he

Real Championship Manager stuff for Moyes, although I guarantee Ferguson has made him boss.

I'm glad. I cannot stand Man U but they are massive and it's refreshing to see someone loyal get rewarded for his efforts.

They may not win the league next year, and could struggle for a top four finish (IMO), but they'll stick with him and he'll create another Fergie dynasty.

Gone by Xmas..

Tactically not a good enough choice for a club of Utds stature.

Wonder if felliani will end up there?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Not a hope in hell, he will have the backup of Fergie to ensure that the transition will be as smooth as possible, he will have all the backroom staff at the club, for him its a dream job, with the best support system available.

Not a hope in hell, he will have the backup of Fergie to ensure that the transition will be as smooth as possible, he will have all the backroom staff at the club, for him its a dream job, with the best support system available.

An equal opportunity employer..non-jocks need not apply

Real Championship Manager stuff for Moyes, although I guarantee Ferguson has made him boss.

I'm glad. I cannot stand Man U but they are massive and it's refreshing to see someone loyal get rewarded for his efforts.

They may not win the league next year, and could struggle for a top four finish (IMO), but they'll stick with him and he'll create another Fergie dynasty.

What makes you think they will suddenly go from clear champions to struggling for a top four finish?! Where is the evidence for that?

Something that I think that has been overlooked is the fact that he has seen absolutely everybody off.

Liverpool, never had a sniff in the Premier League era, apart from a second place finish a few years ago.

Blackburn, just one title.

Newcastle, didn't win anything in the end.

Arsenal, a short period of dominance, back to United.

Chelsea, with all their riches, United came back again.

City, one title, they're already getting rid of Mancini because he's put them back in their place.

That's a fantastic achievement.

2006/2007 was the first FA cup final at the new Wembley, and Man U lost. They never played in an fa cup final at Wembley again under sir Alex. So I was surprised that they never won an fa cup at the new Wembley.

The last time they won the fa cup at Wembley was last century!

• 4 months later...