Cortese 'Considering his position'

The Commodore

Do You Want Cortese to Stay?  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Want Cortese to Stay?

Are you Peter Ridsdale in disguise?

I don't much like the uncertainty raised by this issue at this time, I don't suppose many of us do, but if Cortese does go then I'll get over it - after the sudden assassination of our last manager this is a lesson that ironically he has helped install in me. Lets face it, this grand scheme of his to transform this middle sized regional club into a top 5 force in the Premier League was always insanely overambitious anyway.

So if the Don does get the boot then as long as the Liebherr's can find a capable new Chairman who is happy to steer the club onto a more realistic and sustainable pathway then that might not be a bad thing in the long run. Our model should be to emulate the success of clubs such as Swansea - not to be another Leeds or Pompey *shudders*

In any case this matter needs to be concluded ASAP.

That sir, is the voice of reason. Completely agree.

Indeed and 'the Trustees' would/should be carrying out his wishes. (Hence the suggestion that the goal of the Trust (on behalf of Markus) might not be to maximise return on investment. I guess we'll never know what Markus sought to get out of buying Saints. Was it philanthropy or simply a money making exercise? Or maybe it was a bit of both.)

The problem is that trustees have an obligation to look after, and safely invest, trust money.

Pumping money into a football club is not an investment.

Whilst Markus wish may have been one thing, the obligations of trustees is very different.

The problem is that trustees have an obligation to look after, and safely invest, trust money.

Whilst Markus wish may have been one thing, the obligations of trustees is very different.

I know little about how trusts work but I would have thought that the whole point of a 'trust' is to protect the wishes of the benefactor, in this case Markus. Isn't a trust fund simply an extension of someone's will?

If I had, say, £300m that I wanted to leave 'in trust' to Southampton Football Club, are you saying that I can't have any say in how MY money is spent?

As I say, I've no idea how trusts work but find it strange the wishes of the 'Trustor' aren't taken into account.

So, if Cortese gets a good reception at the Stoke game then it is likely to persuade the Liebherrs to keep him on and/or persuade Cortese himself that he is wanted by the fans.... Seems simple enough...

Didn't work for Adkins!

If we believe everything we've heard then the Markus Liebherr investment wasn't just about the football club but also the eventual development of the riverside area. Maybe this is the overiding interest now for the Liebherrs while Cortese has the football club as his priority?

I'd keep the 'Don', he's certainly not had trouble getting things done up to now, and just hope it's smoothed out with the family.

Indeed and 'the Trustees' would/should be carrying out his wishes. (Hence the suggestion that the goal of the Trust (on behalf of Markus) might not be to maximise return on investment. I guess we'll never know what Markus sought to get out of buying Saints. Was it philanthropy or simply a money making exercise? Or maybe it was a bit of both.)

I doubt his wishes in his will were "keep my hobby going, come what may, forever".

It may have been "keep my hobby going until a particular target/level is reached".

Like, established in the Premier League.

Like, now.

I doubt his wishes in his will were "keep my hobby going, come what may, forever".

It may have been "keep my hobby going until a particular target/level is reached".

Like, established in the Premier League.

Like, now.

Yep, could be.

I know little about how trusts work but I would have thought that the whole point of a 'trust' is to protect the wishes of the benefactor, in this case Markus. Isn't a trust fund simply an extension of someone's will?

If I had, say, £300m that I wanted to leave 'in trust' to Southampton Football Club, are you saying that I can't have any say in how MY money is spent?

As I say, I've no idea how trusts work but find it strange the wishes of the 'Trustor' aren't taken into account.

Trusts contain assets which can work in varying ways. Ordinarily, the assets within them become the property of other people, the beneficiaries. They, or other beneficiaries, could also receive an income from the trust assets.

The trusts are managed by trustees. Their obligation, always, is to the beneficiaries.

Common sense says that no trustee would want to pump money into a football club forever more.

People don't invest in football clubs to make money....so you can understand why they would potentially want to sell up when they can make a fortune on what they paid.

Whats the benefit to the Liebherrs to pump millions more in this summer and next summer, for a potential European place. It's pretty unlikely we're going to get in the Champions League and does it really make us worth much more us playing in the Europa?

From a business decision you could see why they would want to sell up, however from a very selfish point of view, I want them to carry on bankrolling us ;)

Trusts contain assets which can work in varying ways. Ordinarily, the assets within them become the property of other people, the beneficiaries. They, or other beneficiaries, could also receive an income from the trust assets.

The trusts are managed by trustees. Their obligation, always, is to the beneficiaries.

Common sense says that no trustee would want to pump money into a football club forever more.

Sorry to labour the point but isn't Southampton Football Club the main (only?) beneficiary of the trust fund set up in Markus's name? Perhaps it makes a difference if the trust fund is set up by the person before they die or whether its set up by the trustees of his overall estate after he dies?

As I said at the start of this thread, I 'm not sure where I'm going with this but I can't help feeling this 'dispute' has only arisen because either the Liebherrs or Cortese now want to deviate from Markus's wishes.

People don't invest in football clubs to make money....so you can understand why they would potentially want to sell up when they can make a fortune on what they paid.

Whats the benefit to the Liebherrs to pump millions more in this summer and next summer, for a potential European place. It's pretty unlikely we're going to get in the Champions League and does it really make us worth much more us playing in the Europa?

From a business decision you could see why they would want to sell up, however from a very selfish point of view, I want them to carry on bankrolling us ;)

The sources have said they aren't looking to sell. It's an issue with cortese that's the problem.

Sounds from the reports like some of the Liebherr heirs think they could run the club better than Cortese.

It doesnt seem like it is money related specifically from any of the reports, its about control and there arent many Chairman that have 100% control of PL clubs.

Sorry to labour the point but isn't Southampton Football Club the main (only?) beneficiary of the trust fund set up in Markus's name? Perhaps it makes a difference if the trust fund is set up by the person before they die or whether its set up by the trustees of his overall estate after he dies?

As I said at the start of this thread, I 'm not sure where I'm going with this but I can't help feeling this 'dispute' has only arisen because either the Liebherrs or Cortese now want to deviate from Markus's wishes.

Could be an issue of deviation from a plan, or just as likely it's interpretation of what has been previously agreed/planned. Whatever the original agreement was, I can't imagine it would have said 'continue bank-rolling SFC for ever and ever'.

So many ITKs on this forum and what's so amusing so many are poking each others eyes out . I haven't got a clue whats going on . But one thing I do know is the cortesse keeps his own council and would keep his cards close to his chest . Too much speculation by the normal posters is amusing . When I believe none of them have a clue .

I have no idea of the trust arrangements. The club may he hived off from the other assets, or part of a pot.

My gut feel is that the trustees are concerned, or are being advised,that throwing money at the club is not a sound or proper use of trust monies.

It's contract renewal time and he is doing what players do and use the press to force someone's arm

I think thats what it is also looking between the lines.

I've never heard of the type of contract he has at the moment allowing him to walk and them allowed to get rid of him after 3 years...that standard practice?

So many ITKs on this forum and what's so amusing so many are poking each others eyes out . I haven't got a clue whats going on . But one thing I do know is the cortesse keeps his own council and would keep his cards close to his chest . Too much speculation by the normal posters is amusing . When I believe none of them have a clue .

Only 1 or 2 people have claimed to actually know anything, the rest are just discussing whats going on. To be fair, this thread has got to 13 pages, and there hasn't been any squabbling yet! Lets hope it continues that way.

I think thats what it is also looking between the lines.

I've never heard of the type of contract he has at the moment allowing him to walk and them allowed to get rid of him after 3 years...that standard practice?

And the only journos really trying to make it sound big is the ones that broke the story....not that any journo ever would have their own interest in mind.....:rolleyes:

I voted keep NC, better the devil you know. It's disappointing having this uncertainty once again, as we seemed to be in great position to consolidate & move forward. Which we still are, but some may have to lower expectations to a more sensible level.

There is no reason we can't evolve and become a solid top ten team, occasional euro jaunt & hopefully some good cup runs.

Seems we have a difference of opinions on the way forward here. Sounds as though the trustee's maybe want some control/garantee's over any money spent. While NC wants carte Blanche. To me that indicates there is money to spend, just a difference of opinion on how it is used. Or they are asking NC to actual start to implement Saints living within our means, which has always been his & Markus stated goal?

In English law it is the duty of the Trustees to act in the interests of the beneficiaries, and to invest the trust funds accordingly. Once the assets are in trust, they are owned by the Trustees, not the original settlor of the trust.

I doubt that a trust based on Swiss law is any different to the above. However, without knowing exactly what the trust document says we don't know. It may be that the beneficiaries of the trust include Southampton Football Club, or maybe it doesn't.

In English law it is the duty of the Trustees to act in the interests of the beneficiaries, and to invest the trust funds accordingly. Once the assets are in trust, they are owned by the Trustees, not the original settlor of the trust.

I doubt that a trust based on Swiss law is any different to the above. However, without knowing exactly what the trust document says we don't know. It may be that the beneficiaries of the trust include Southampton Football Club, or maybe it doesn't.

Cheers, makes sense.

My reaction.....

http://wp.me/p1mFFL-yF

Yep, agree with Alpine above. As always a good summation of events.

Can't for the life of me understand people that want him out. Surely his predecessors demonstrate what a step up NC is. AC Milan were sniffing around him when we were L1.

But obviously the wombles on here no more than the football people, as always.

I usually dislike men of NC's profile - vertically challenged, smug, a control-freak, foreign - but I cannot ignore his fantastic achievements at Saints; therefore I voted YES. The alternative would have been bumbling around in the Championship with the likes of Phil Brown at the helm. Perma-tanned cheesy smiles, back-slapping, the old mates network - and failure. I can't imagine that NC has leaked this news himself - it's not his style. If he did then he is taking a bit of a gamble. I don't believe the dispute centres on the way he runs the club or the way he treated Nigel, Benali, MLT, or even the spoons; hard-nosed German business people wouldn't give a hoot about such things. My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that our owners don't want to spend what is required this summer.

Largely unrelated as I absolutely want him to stay, but I do object to the grovelling insistence of calling him 'Mr. Cortese' whenever some posters write about him. Unless of course this heralds a wider return of good manners and we start talking about having Messrs Lambert and Rodriguez up front.

Seriously? Why the influx of foreign owners then ? To make money out of the Premiership riches!

There is much easier ways of making money than investing in a football club. Huge risk and likely to not be good return.

Rich people buy football clubs because they don't want a hobby and its a good toy for them. I would like to think we were a bit more to Markus than that but it's an awful way of investing money. How much money has Abramovic got out of his Chelsea investment and the QPR owners? and the Man City owners? Blackburn?

Don't panic, the Liebhhr family aren't going to sell. Just want a new person running the club. The club is in safe hands. Lets be honest, at times he's been a pr disaster. Fully expecting him to leave in next 2 weeks.

Don't panic, the Liebhhr family aren't going to sell. Just want a new person running the club. The club is in safe hands. Lets be honest, at times he's been a pr disaster. Fully expecting him to leave in next 2 weeks.

And what if that person wants his own manager in. Think we should cash in on player worth big money in order to be more prudent.?

And what if that person wants his own manager in. Think we should cash in on player worth big money in order to be more prudent.?

To be fair, with our current cost base, we don't need to cash in on anyone, especially with an extra c.£20m in broadcasting revenue next season.

But does English law state that "the interests of the beneficiaries" are limited to maximum profit?

Close call for me, but I voted no, purely because if it comes down to having the Liebherrs' money or a new CEO I'd go with a new CEO. If it's just a matter of renegotiating Cortese's deal with a bit more Family involvement, I have no problem with him staying on - especially if they decide to rein in his more megalomaniacal tendencies.